Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Flips88

Re: Northwestern Students Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Flips88 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:27 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
eliekedourie wrote:Apologies if this has been addressed countless times, but...what is the top 10% or order of the coif GPA cut off at northwestern (for 3Ls)? I realize this is going to be an estimate, but I'm curious what the general consensus is.

From what i've heard from other 2Ls in this thread, top 10% is ~3.8. Never heard anything official though.

At graduation it's more like 3.9.

Viva la grade inflation!

Postby 09042014 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:28 pm

Flips88 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Flips88 wrote:From what i've heard from other 2Ls in this thread, top 10% is ~3.8. Never heard anything official though.

At graduation it's more like 3.9.

Viva la grade inflation!

Also, it's probably more like 3.85 for top 10% during 1L. Maybe a bit lower.

eliekedourie

Postby eliekedourie » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:43 pm

Thanks.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:01 am

iknownothing wrote:Hey, has anyone here had Epstein for Conlaw? Would appreciate any tips on what to expect for her exams... Thanks!

It's a little grey, but expect an issue spotter, followed by a case analysis that compares the strengths and weakness between two cases in a specific area of con law. Bad ass prof, isn't she?

shifty_eyed

Postby shifty_eyed » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:06 pm

Can someone from the South please weigh in on how harsh the winters are?

The coldest weather I've been in is 20 deg F.

Would I die?

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:09 pm

shifty_eyed wrote:Can someone from the South please weigh in on how harsh the winters are?

Would I die?

I have yet to hear of anyone in law school (even those from the south) dying from the cold. Purchase a warm jacket, hat and gloves and you'll be fine.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:13 pm

shifty_eyed wrote:Can someone from the South please weigh in on how harsh the winters are?

Would I die?

It's not so much the cold as it is the wind, but there usually aren't a ton of days where the two combine to form absolutely miserable weather.

EDIT: Full disclosure - I'm not from the south.

shifty_eyed

Postby shifty_eyed » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:16 pm

traehekat wrote:

Would I die?

It's not so much the cold as it is the wind, but there usually aren't a ton of days where the two combine to form absolutely miserable weather.

EDIT: Full disclosure - I'm not from the south.

I have really uncomfortably dry skin even in a warm, humid climate. Will my skin hate me if I go?

I have visited cold places in the winter, but never stayed for a significant time.

I really like Northwestern, and they might like me (splitter with work experience), but the weather scares me.

Dany

Postby Dany » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:19 pm

I'm not an NU student but I live in Chicago and am from the south. The winters are totally doable. Just get a parka. It's not like you're outside much in law school anyway. Granted, this winter was extremely mild, but still - it's not that bad at all, and there are much more important things to consider when choosing a law school than the weather.

Edit - and just get a good moisturizing lotion.

DrManflesh

Postby DrManflesh » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:32 pm

shifty_eyed wrote:
I have really uncomfortably dry skin even in a warm, humid climate. Will my skin hate me if I go?

You'll want a humidifier.

I am from the South. It's not that big a deal as long as you're not a little bitch about it. That said the last 2 winters have been very mild temperature-wise. I believe it can get significantly nastier...but you'll be a student. Nothing will be ruined if you just say fuck it, I'm staying in because it's ten below and the wind is howling at my windows.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:55 pm

It's Chicago, a metro area with 10 million people. It's not Antarctica.

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:29 am

Dany wrote:I'm not an NU student but I live in Chicago and am from the south. The winters are totally doable. Just get a parka. It's not like you're outside much in law school anyway. Granted, this winter was extremely mild, but still - it's not that bad at all, and there are much more important things to consider when choosing a law school than the weather.

I'd imagine law students spend much more time outside than your average non-manual laboring adults.

angrybird

Postby angrybird » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:32 am

Desert Fox wrote:It's Chicago, a metro area with 10 million people. It's not Antarctica.

true. in antarctica, you don't have to deal with as much wind.

timeandspace11

Postby timeandspace11 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:04 am

I apologize if these questions have been answered before, but I havent been able to look through much of the pages.

Where do many of you guys live? Are Lincoln Park and Ukranain Village good option, in terms of convenience and affordability?

Is it easy to get summer jobs in other states?

Do many students study abroad?

Thanks for doing this.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:32 am

timeandspace11 wrote:I apologize if these questions have been answered before, but I havent been able to look through much of the pages.

Where do many of you guys live? Are Lincoln Park and Ukranain Village good option, in terms of convenience and affordability?

Thanks for doing this.

Lincoln park isn't that affordable but it's a lot better than streeterville. I don't know much about Ukranian Village, but if you are near the 66 bus it's pretty convenient.

Yes it is.

Not really. I know more people interning overseas actually.

timeandspace11

Postby timeandspace11 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:47 am

Desert Fox wrote:
timeandspace11 wrote:I apologize if these questions have been answered before, but I havent been able to look through much of the pages.

Thanks for doing this.

Lincoln park isn't that affordable but it's a lot better than streeterville. I don't know much about Ukranian Village, but if you are near the 66 bus it's pretty convenient.

Yes it is.

Not really. I know more people interning overseas actually.

Thanks for the response.Interning overseas sounds awesome. What type of field do the internships seem to be fo, International business, a humanitarian agency...?

Dany

Postby Dany » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:28 pm

splitmuch wrote:
Dany wrote:I'm not an NU student but I live in Chicago and am from the south. The winters are totally doable. Just get a parka. It's not like you're outside much in law school anyway. Granted, this winter was extremely mild, but still - it's not that bad at all, and there are much more important things to consider when choosing a law school than the weather.

I'd imagine law students spend much more time outside than your average non-manual laboring adults.

Ah, the rugged life of a law student.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:30 pm

Dany wrote:
splitmuch wrote:

Second, need to go cut some wood. Running out of paper.

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:59 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Dany wrote:
splitmuch wrote:

Second, need to go cut some wood. Running out of paper.

I laughed, and it saves me a listserv email asking about where I can get paper.

As to the point , its not about rugged activities, its about time spent outdoors. As a 1L at least you have a shit ton of free time and most commutes in chicago involve a good amount of time outdoors. If cold is something that affects someone who has a regular job, itd doesnt seem like itd be lessened because they are in law school.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:25 pm

Thanks for doing this.

I live in Ukrainian Village, and I love it. I like my neighborhood, and the 66 stops on my block 15-25 min ride to school depending on time of day :-)

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:47 pm

splitmuch wrote:I laughed, and it saves me a listserv email asking about where I can get paper.

As to the point , its not about rugged activities, its about time spent outdoors. As a 1L at least you have a shit ton of free time and most commutes in chicago involve a good amount of time outdoors. If cold is something that affects someone who has a regular job, itd doesnt seem like itd be lessened because they are in law school.

Well, it isn't as though the buses and trains aren't heated. If you time your commute correctly you can get to and from school being outside for probably a max of 20-30 minutes depending on how far from public transit you live. That's not exactly frostbite setting in kind of time.

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:50 pm

D-hops wrote:
splitmuch wrote:I laughed, and it saves me a listserv email asking about where I can get paper.

Well, it isn't as though the buses and trains aren't heated. If you time your commute correctly you can get to and from school being outside for probably a max of 20-30 minutes depending on how far from public transit you live. That's not exactly frostbite setting in kind of time.

I mean yeah, i dont think the cold is a problem. My only point is that if someone cant stand cold, theres nothing about law school that means theyll spend less time outdoors then they already do (as dany suggested).

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:56 pm

splitmuch wrote:
D-hops wrote:

I mean yeah, i dont think the cold is a problem. My only point is that if someone cant stand cold, theres nothing about law school that means theyll spend less time outdoors then they already do (as dany suggested).

Get to school every day in the morning --> Stay in school with the exception of leaving to grab lunch --> leave school by 5 or 6

Basically the same as if you had a FT job. You don't NEED to leave the school a lot during the day.

ETA: disclaimer, I am an 0L who has never lived in Chicago before. So this is just speculation.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:57 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
splitmuch wrote:
D-hops wrote:

Get to school every day in the morning --> Stay in school with the exception of leaving to grab lunch --> leave school by 5 or 6

Basically the same as if you had a FT job. You don't NEED to leave the school a lot during the day.

ETA: disclaimer, I am an 0L who has never lived in Chicago before. So this is just speculation.

This is what I do. except I bring lunch.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:02 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:This is what I do. except I bring lunch.

Yeah, that's an even smarter option, I just wanted to show the 'maximum' amount of leaving school that someone would have to do if treating it like a FT job.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”