Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Bumi

Re: Northwestern Students Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Bumi » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:55 pm

Ricochet48 wrote:I just remember visiting colleges for undergrad that they would write your name/enter it into the system that you visited. This way they would know you would be more likely to attend etc.

Between the optional interview and the optional essays, they get a pretty good idea if you are serious or not.

cmob

Postby cmob » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:10 pm

Could any current students share their perspective on alternative places to study during the year? At ASW, I noticed the library was only open until 11-12, and I'm not familiar with how busy it gets during finals.

One of the purple shirts told me they loved studying at the med school building down the street due to its late hours. If places like these are legit, then I feel better choosing a cheaper apartment b/c I won't have to be there during the plurality of my studying.

alabamabound

Postby alabamabound » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:27 pm

cmob wrote:Could any current students share their perspective on alternative places to study during the year? At ASW, I noticed the library was only open until 11-12, and I'm not familiar with how busy it gets during finals.

One of the purple shirts told me they loved studying at the med school building down the street due to its late hours. If places like these are legit, then I feel better choosing a cheaper apartment b/c I won't have to be there during the plurality of my studying.

Not sure if it's "the med school building down the street" you were told about, but Prentice Hospital is a good study spot that is close by and open 24-7.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:33 pm

cmob wrote:Could any current students share their perspective on alternative places to study during the year? At ASW, I noticed the library was only open until 11-12, and I'm not familiar with how busy it gets during finals.

The Atrium (central area of the school) is open 24/7. Personally I prefer studying at home to a library anyways.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:36 pm

One of the 2Ls who gave me the tour said the law school is open 24/7 via your student ID card, so even if you can't study in the library, you can study in the atrium or a classroom.

annnd, scooped by BK. XD

Samara

Postby Samara » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:55 pm

alabamabound wrote:

Not sure if it's "the med school building down the street" you were told about, but Prentice Hospital is a good study spot that is close by and open 24-7.

At least until the university demolishes it. :cry:

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:07 am

Samara wrote:
alabamabound wrote:

New Prentice, not Old Prentice. Old Prentice is gross.

Samara

Postby Samara » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:13 am

rayiner wrote:
Samara wrote:
alabamabound wrote:

New Prentice, not Old Prentice. Old Prentice is gross.

Ah. And Old Prentice just needs some rehabilitation.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:19 am

Old pretenice is gross and should be blown up.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:04 am

Some people who don't live in Streeterville study late at some of the 24 hour Starbucks. I really don't understand how anyone studies after about 9 pm, but that's me.

dolfan0516

Postby dolfan0516 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:29 am

Desert Fox wrote:Old pretenice is gross and should be blown up.

That thing. I was wondering what the architect/builders were on when they built it. So horrible.

Samara

Postby Samara » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:52 am

dolfan0516 wrote:

That thing. I was wondering what the architect/builders were on when they built it. So horrible.

:evil:
http://www.landmarks.org/ten_most_2011_ ... spital.htm
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Save-Pren ... 1851986833

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:05 pm

It's interesting and has character, unlike all the cookie cutter glass and concrete highrises.

dolfan0516

Postby dolfan0516 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:05 pm

Samara wrote:
dolfan0516 wrote:

:evil:
http://www.landmarks.org/ten_most_2011_ ... spital.htm
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Save-Pren ... 1851986833

I saw all of that when I googled the building. I dont agree at all. I think its horrible. Its a historical landmark how? Built in 1975 does not make a building 'historical'. And just having some crazy ridiculous design does not make it a 'landmark'

Obviously, I have zero appreciation or architecture and think the building looks terrible.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:16 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:Some people who don't live in Streeterville study late at some of the 24 hour Starbucks. I really don't understand how anyone studies after about 9 pm, but that's me.

By not starting until 72 hours before their exams.

Samara

Postby Samara » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:11 pm

dolfan0516 wrote:I saw all of that when I googled the building. I dont agree at all. I think its horrible. Its a historical landmark how? Built in 1975 does not make a building 'historical'. And just having some crazy ridiculous design does not make it a 'landmark'

Obviously, I have zero appreciation or architecture and think the building looks terrible.

haha, obviously. :wink:

It's actually an interesting problem for preservationists. Brutalist buildings are not aesthetically pleasing by today's standards, but that doesn't mean they aren't architecturally and historically important. Most brutalist buildings are ugly, but this is one that I actually like. But putting that aside, Prentice is the first major work of Bertrand Goldberg, who was one of the most influential architects of his time, especially in Chicago. Furthermore, the building represents innovations in architecture and engineering, such as the fact that each "clover" is cantilevered, on a scale never before achieved, giving the building an unprecedented openness. This innovative design uniquely promotes collaboration and free workflow.

And yes the building is only 35 years old and the general rule of thumb is 50 years, but this is a sufficiently significant building that it deserves special attention, especially since it is threatened with demolition right now. If we don't act now to save at least a few brutalist structures, by the time the movement is 50 years old, there won't be any left and the movement will be confined to history books. Save Prentice!

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:51 pm

Samara wrote:
dolfan0516 wrote:I saw all of that when I googled the building. I dont agree at all. I think its horrible. Its a historical landmark how? Built in 1975 does not make a building 'historical'. And just having some crazy ridiculous design does not make it a 'landmark'

haha, obviously. :wink:

It's actually an interesting problem for preservationists. Brutalist buildings are not aesthetically pleasing by today's standards, but that doesn't mean they aren't architecturally and historically important. Most brutalist buildings are ugly, but this is one that I actually like. But putting that aside, Prentice is the first major work of Bertrand Goldberg, who was one of the most influential architects of his time, especially in Chicago. Furthermore, the building represents innovations in architecture and engineering, such as the fact that each "clover" is cantilevered, on a scale never before achieved, giving the building an unprecedented openness. This innovative design uniquely promotes collaboration and free workflow.

And yes the building is only 35 years old and the general rule of thumb is 50 years, but this is a sufficiently significant building that it deserves special attention, especially since it is threatened with demolition right now. If we don't act now to save at least a few brutalist structures, by the time the movement is 50 years old, there won't be any left and the movement will be confined to history books. Save Prentice!

In terms of brutalist, it could be far worse...

I actually quite like prentice, despite my deep and abiding hatred of concrete.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:08 pm

that thing is such an eyesore. tear it down and put a burger king/wendys in its place for gods sake, the lack of fast food in streeterville is so annoying.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:11 pm

traehekat wrote:that thing is such an eyesore. tear it down and put a burger king/wendys in its place for gods sake, the lack of fast food in streeterville is so annoying.

How many prostitutes would you kill for a KFC/Taco Bell? I'd conservatively estimate 10 for myself.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:37 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
traehekat wrote:that thing is such an eyesore. tear it down and put a burger king/wendys in its place for gods sake, the lack of fast food in streeterville is so annoying.

How many prostitutes would you kill for a KFC/Taco Bell? I'd conservatively estimate 10 for myself.

i was in the burbs this weekend and went to taco bell for this first time in probably 18 months, i went fucking nuts on that menu.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:06 pm

traehekat wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

i was in the burbs this weekend and went to taco bell for this first time in probably 18 months, i went fucking nuts on that menu.

I have a tummy full of Timmy's nachos and would still inhale several tacos.

iknownothing

Postby iknownothing » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:36 pm

Hey, has anyone here had Epstein for Conlaw? Would appreciate any tips on what to expect for her exams... Thanks!

eliekedourie

Postby eliekedourie » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:10 pm

Apologies if this has been addressed countless times, but...what is the top 10% or order of the coif GPA cut off at northwestern (for 3Ls)? I realize this is going to be an estimate, but I'm curious what the general consensus is.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:11 pm

eliekedourie wrote:Apologies if this has been addressed countless times, but...what is the top 10% or order of the coif GPA cut off at northwestern (for 3Ls)? I realize this is going to be an estimate, but I'm curious what the general consensus is.

From what i've heard from other 2Ls in this thread, top 10% is ~3.8. Never heard anything official though.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:25 pm

Flips88 wrote:
eliekedourie wrote:Apologies if this has been addressed countless times, but...what is the top 10% or order of the coif GPA cut off at northwestern (for 3Ls)? I realize this is going to be an estimate, but I'm curious what the general consensus is.

From what i've heard from other 2Ls in this thread, top 10% is ~3.8. Never heard anything official though.

At graduation it's more like 3.9.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”