Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
rinkrat19

Re: Northwestern Students Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:19 pm

The 'running tour' ones are regular events and they kind of fill up the list, but here's Running in the USA's list of upcoming Chicago runs and races. (Pick a different month to see more of the calendar.)
http://www.runningintheusa.com/race/Lis ... ago&Page=1

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:21 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Flips88 wrote:It's called Phoebe's Cupcake. They're supposed to be moving a half block north sometime soon, but I don't know when.

/files in list of places she needs to visit someday (along with everything on this list)

I also recommend visiting Wiener Circle.

kennethellenparcell

Postby kennethellenparcell » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:37 pm

cactuarX3 wrote:
kennethellenparcell wrote:You guys are on! Can't wait for ASW. :D

Mr. Parcell, any upcoming running events in Chicago we should watch out for? I know it's a little early to ask, but a lot of the cool races here in the Bay Area get filled up months in advance and I don't want to miss out on the cool ones in Chicago

lol I'm a lady but it's ok - people mistake for me for a guy on the internet all the time. There's the half marathon in September - people use that race as a long run for the marathon in October. It MIGHT be full at this point though...not 100% sure.

Here's the CARA website, I usually use this to find races I want to do in Chicagoland. http://www.cararuns.org/Racing/Find%20a%20Race.aspx

I've done the Shamrock Shuffle, the Turkey Trot (turkey hat required for this race), the Soldier Field 10-miler, the marathon, and some other races here and there. But the ones I named are the most popular ones I think. The Shamrock Shuffle is my favorite by far because good times will be had by all at that race. You might want to sign up for the Soldier Field run if you choose NU. I'd be up for that one too if you decide to do it. It's pretty cool because you get to finish at the 50 yard line inside Soldier Field.

cactuarX3

Postby cactuarX3 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:47 pm

kennethellenparcell wrote:
cactuarX3 wrote:
kennethellenparcell wrote:You guys are on! Can't wait for ASW. :D

Mr. Parcell, any upcoming running events in Chicago we should watch out for? I know it's a little early to ask, but a lot of the cool races here in the Bay Area get filled up months in advance and I don't want to miss out on the cool ones in Chicago

lol I'm a lady but it's ok - people mistake for me for a guy on the internet all the time. There's the half marathon in September - people use that race as a long run for the marathon in October. It MIGHT be full at this point though...not 100% sure.

Here's the CARA website, I usually use this to find races I want to do in Chicagoland. http://www.cararuns.org/Racing/Find%20a%20Race.aspx

I've done the Shamrock Shuffle, the Turkey Trot (turkey hat required for this race), the Soldier Field 10-miler, the marathon, and some other races here and there. But the ones I named are the most popular ones I think. The Shamrock Shuffle is my favorite by far because good times will be had by all at that race. You might want to sign up for the Soldier Field run if you choose NU. I'd be up for that one too if you decide to do it. It's pretty cool because you get to finish at the 50 yard line inside Soldier Field.

cool stuff! man, the Soldier Field one looks awesome, but i definitely won't be around yet in May.

what's the half marathon in September called? I might want to sign up for that one...

kennethellenparcell

Postby kennethellenparcell » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:54 pm

Yeah, the Soldier Field run is amazing. Especially because a lot of veterans come and they're honored at the event.

I think the half is called something super boring like the Chicago Half. There's one in June too I think. I've never done the half in September because summer running in Chicago is just awful. It's like wading through molasses after 8am on many days. Here you go:

http://www.chicagohalfmarathon.com/

cactuarX3

Postby cactuarX3 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:35 pm

kennethellenparcell wrote:Yeah, the Soldier Field run is amazing. Especially because a lot of veterans come and they're honored at the event.

I think the half is called something super boring like the Chicago Half. There's one in June too I think. I've never done the half in September because summer running in Chicago is just awful. It's like wading through molasses after 8am on many days. Here you go:

is the humidity still ridiculous even in September?

cmob

Postby cmob » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:54 pm

cactuarX3 wrote:
kennethellenparcell wrote:Yeah, the Soldier Field run is amazing. Especially because a lot of veterans come and they're honored at the event.

It's Chicago, good luck predicting anything.

FWIW it was still pretty warm last September but the humidity wasn't bad at all (I ran in the early morning, though).

kennethellenparcell

Postby kennethellenparcell » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:47 pm

cmob wrote:
cactuarX3 wrote:

It's Chicago, good luck predicting anything.

FWIW it was still pretty warm last September but the humidity wasn't bad at all (I ran in the early morning, though).

Word to this. The past couple of years haven't been too terrible but 2007-2008 summers weren't great. I think...

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:52 pm

OK PEOPLE!!

I think I am going to bow out of the beer and bacon tasting at Paddy Long's in Lincoln Park on Thursday (6-8pm, I believe). I am most definitely getting sick, and I want to conserve some energy to be able to go out Friday after the Follies for at least a little while. I know I'll be wiped out after traveling on Thursday, plus I'd be ditching my dad on the day we arrive in town. (I really wish he'd just flown in on Saturday night, but oh well.)

So there is a spot at the beer and bacon tasting organized by Samara that is available, and I would be happy to sell my voucher ($18) if anyone wants to join them. I think there were 5 or 6 of us going.

There does seem to be a 24-hour cancellation policy, so I (or Samara) would need to call and reduce the reservation by one by tomorrow if no one wants to use my voucher on Thursday.

http://www.paddylongs.com/

PM me and I can email the voucher PDF and we can work out payment later.

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:55 pm

kennethellenparcell wrote:
cactuarX3 wrote:

cool stuff! man, the Soldier Field one looks awesome, but i definitely won't be around yet in May.

what's the half marathon in September called? I might want to sign up for that one...

I'm running the half in June. It is called the 13.1 Its June 9, I believe and think the registration is still open for that. There is also a tough mudder (10 milish obstacle course) sept. 9 that I am doing with a few other law school people. I believe registration is still open for that as well, but could be wrong.
Last edited by splitmuch on Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cactuarX3

Postby cactuarX3 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:26 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:OK PEOPLE!!

I think I am going to bow out of the beer and bacon tasting at Paddy Long's in Lincoln Park on Thursday (6-8pm, I believe). I am most definitely getting sick, and I want to conserve some energy to be able to go out Friday after the Follies for at least a little while. I know I'll be wiped out after traveling on Thursday, plus I'd be ditching my dad on the day we arrive in town. (I really wish he'd just flown in on Saturday night, but oh well.)

So there is a spot at the beer and bacon tasting organized by Samara that is available, and I would be happy to sell my voucher ($18) if anyone wants to join them. I think there were 5 or 6 of us going.

There does seem to be a 24-hour cancellation policy, so I (or Samara) would need to call and reduce the reservation by one by tomorrow if no one wants to use my voucher on Thursday.

eh? I thought the beer and bacon tasting was on Saturday?

Samara

Postby Samara » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:31 pm

cactuarX3 wrote:

Did you buy a voucher?

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:19 am

BK, your school is the awesome.

That is all

cactuarX3

Postby cactuarX3 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:25 am

Samara wrote:
cactuarX3 wrote:

Did you buy a voucher?

I did. Sorry if I got it wrong. For some reason, I thought the TLS schedule for NU ASW was hang out on Friday night and then beer and bacon tasting on Saturday night. Is that not the case?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:37 am

cactuarX3 wrote:
Samara wrote:
cactuarX3 wrote:

Did you buy a voucher?

I did. Sorry if I got it wrong. For some reason, I thought the TLS schedule for NU ASW was hang out on Friday night and then beer and bacon tasting on Saturday night. Is that not the case?
I think the Saturday tasting was all filled up, so he got Thursday. That way we wouldn't have had to leave Duck Island brewery early on Saturday, too.

If you want to do it Thursday and don't have a voucher, I'm your girl. Totally bummed but I think this is the best choice for me and my immune system. :x

Samara

Postby Samara » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:40 am

cactuarX3 wrote:I did. Sorry if I got it wrong. For some reason, I thought the TLS schedule for NU ASW was hang out on Friday night and then beer and bacon tasting on Saturday night. Is that not the case?

Check you PMs.

Samara

Postby Samara » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:41 am

That sucks rink. :( Hope you feel better. I'll definitely organize one for Orientation Week, so you can do it then!

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:53 am

Samara wrote:That sucks rink. :( Hope you feel better. I'll definitely organize one for Orientation Week, so you can do it then!

I think there's a cancellation fee if you don't reduce the number in the reservation before 24 hours out, so if no one wants it, you (or I? Except I'd have to look up your name!) would have to call and change it. I guess that would be around 6pm Central time tomorrow, so 4pm my time.

Samara

Postby Samara » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:02 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
Samara wrote:That sucks rink. :( Hope you feel better. I'll definitely organize one for Orientation Week, so you can do it then!

I think there's a cancellation fee if you don't reduce the number in the reservation before 24 hours out, so if no one wants it, you (or I? Except I'd have to look up your name!) would have to call and change it. I guess that would be around 6pm Central time tomorrow, so 4pm my time.

I'll take care of it. Thanks for letting me know! (I don't know how they can charge a cancellation fee on a livingsocial voucher, but better safe than sorry.)

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:04 am

Samara wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

I'll take care of it. Thanks for letting me know! (I don't know how they can charge a cancellation fee on a livingsocial voucher, but better safe than sorry.)
Yeah, the fine print on the voucher says "Merchant cancellation/re-scheduling policy of 24 hours applies; voucher subject to forfeiture" (how would they confiscate a voucher that isn't there?) But better safe.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:11 am

Hey Samara, J12 is interested in possibly attending/using your voucher. Shoot him an email with deets?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:14 am

crumpetsandtea wrote:Hey Samara, J12 is interested in possibly attending/using your voucher. Shoot him an email with deets?
It's my voucher... I will PM.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:17 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:Hey Samara, J12 is interested in possibly attending/using your voucher. Shoot him an email with deets?

Uh, you can't PM him, he's banned... >_<

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:19 am

crumpetsandtea wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

Uh, you can't PM him, he's banned... >_<
Ohhhhh.

Ok, someone can get him in touch with me, then. My gmail is on the NU google doc and I'll send him a different email to find my paypal account, and then email him the voucher PDF.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:38 pm

What GPA(s) give someone:
1) no shot at LR
2) an outside shot at LR
3) a pretty good shot at LR

??

Trying to decide if doing the competition is even worthwhile if LR is my only goal.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”