Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Flips88

Re: Northwestern Students Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Flips88 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:15 pm

bk1 wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
Dany wrote:I lol'd at everyone who put the Chicago office as their preference.

I put San Francisco because I knew Chicago was not worth even trying.

Copycat.

But your choice of San Fran at least makes logical sense!

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:17 pm

Any of you, or do you know anyone doing jd/phd specifically Econ? Do you think for academic (law) it is a good idea?

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:04 pm

Br3v wrote:Any of you, or do you know anyone doing jd/phd specifically Econ? Do you think for academic (law) it is a good idea?

I dont think the school has a single econ JD/PhD. I was told by one of my professors who had a JD/PhD in econ that Northwestern's Econ program was not very fond of the idea (the implication was that they denied admission to people who wanted to do it).

I think it's generally the best degree combination there is for academia.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:10 pm

bdubs wrote:
Br3v wrote:Any of you, or do you know anyone doing jd/phd specifically Econ? Do you think for academic (law) it is a good idea?

I dont think the school has a single econ JD/PhD. I was told by one of my professors who had a JD/PhD in econ that Northwestern's Econ program was not very fond of the idea (the implication was that they denied admission to people who wanted to do it).

So you think it's the best chance at law academia (outside ysh assuming) but NU does not offer it?

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:26 pm

Br3v wrote:
bdubs wrote:

So you think it's the best chance at law academia (outside ysh assuming) but NU does not offer it?

Northwestern has a JD/PhD program for anyone admitted to both schools (I think the joint part needs approval in addition to separate admissions). I was just given the impression that it is very hard to convince the econ department to admit you into it. Generally, I think that the econ department is more competitive than the law school, so candidates who get in there would generally have other options for joint programs.

The econ JD/PhD is one of the most common combinations for young professors. It also happens that most of the T14 have relatively strong econ departments, so those who do a JD/PhD at one of the T14 are generally well situated. Judges also seem to like econ PhD clerks.

I think the general way to approach a JD/PhD is to apply to the PhD programs first and then see what law schools you can get into. The PhD and some publications may be a good enough soft to get you into a better law school later on anyway.

ETA: I looked at the JD/PhDs in the school's directory. There aren't any economics PhDs, but there was one guy who did a Finance PhD at Kellogg. Most of them seem to be either history or sociology students.
Last edited by bdubs on Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:35 pm

Remember also that JD/PhD at NU is a full-ride. That makes it highly selective.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:26 pm

rayiner wrote:Remember also that JD/PhD at NU is a full-ride. That makes it highly selective.

How does doing Econ phd effect law hiring? Biglaw, clerkships, SA, etc
Considering your busy yr round for 6 yrs

Postby 09042014 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:34 pm

Br3v wrote:
rayiner wrote:Remember also that JD/PhD at NU is a full-ride. That makes it highly selective.

Why would get a PhD if you wanted to do a normal law career. If I were a firm I sure as fuck wouldn't hire you.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:52 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Br3v wrote:

Why would get a PhD if you wanted to do a normal law career. If I were a firm I sure as fuck wouldn't hire you.

I'm not sure that necessarily answered the question

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:53 am

Br3v wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Br3v wrote:

I'm not sure that necessarily answered the question

Pretty sure that answered your question. The effect is that firms will not hire you.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:47 pm

What about clerkship? Looking at the way NU plays the joint program out, it seems you wouldn't be able to apply for anything, including clerk, for 6 yrs.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:53 pm

Br3v wrote:What about clerkship? Looking at the way NU plays the joint program out, it seems you wouldn't be able to apply for anything, including clerk, for 6 yrs.

Have you done any research, or are you just asking for the hell of it?

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:00 pm

Br3v wrote:What about clerkship? Looking at the way NU plays the joint program out, it seems you wouldn't be able to apply for anything, including clerk, for 6 yrs.

Clerkships are about grades and connections, not joint programs.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:42 am

crumpetsandtea wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:Hang out with Crumps and me on Monday night?

YES!!! You too Samara :mrgreen:
Samara wrote:Most places should have a leasing office that's open during normal business hours and probably Saturdays. It may be in a different building though. The apartment finding service has all the info you would need anyway.

What about this Saturday?

Okay sweet. This Saturday works perfectly for me. I might do some apartment browsing on my own (maybe) just cause, well, what else am I gonna do on Thurs/Fri? XD

Did this happen? If so, any tips from your hunt?

kennethellenparcell

Postby kennethellenparcell » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:32 pm

cactuarX3 wrote:
kennethellenparcell wrote:
cactuarX3 wrote: did someone say running?! EXCITE!

on a sad note, I have horrible case of runners knee and have a half marathon coming up this sunday. any advice on how to tough through it?

Wooo running!! I hate injuries. Is it your first half? (Sorry for clogging up this thread with stuffz that are not questions/challenges guys.) Personally, I wouldn't tough it through but that's because whenever I get an injury if I don't rest it keeps me out of commission for a longer time. I do understand how bad it feels to train for an event and then have a body part just crap out on you.

Also cactuar - you must choose NU. :D

no, it's not my first, i ran another one 2 weeks ago (which probably was my undoing). yeah, i think i'll tough it out. someone told me to use some shoe inserts and then apply tiger balm to the affected area; might also take some ibuprofen too before the race (jesus christ, i'm going to be more drugged up than Robert Downey Jr.)

I'm definitely leaning towards NU at this point!

Hope your half went well! Sounds like it might have been entertaining to see you run it. :mrgreen:

kennethellenparcell

Postby kennethellenparcell » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:32 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote: Oh god I'm so not a runner. I've always loathed running (although I'm going to do my first 5K this summer). You might have a hard time convincing me to run consistently. I'd gladly go on bike rides though! :D

Also, I need a gym membership so I can lift (:

Aw. Maybe I'll change your mind with the Shamrock Shuffle next year! But wooo to the bike rides.

How long is the Shamrock Shuffle? I'm hoping that once I'm ready for this 5K, I'll be in the habit of running frequently. I think running is a better workout than biking is - I always feel more tired doing a short run than I do after a 12 mile bike ride.

The Shuffle is a 10K! With free alcoholic beverages afterward. :wink:

Samara

Postby Samara » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:54 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:Did this happen? If so, any tips from your hunt?

Our meetup was a bust on the apartment front, but a success on the fun times front. They refused to show us any places because we were more than 60 days out from a move-in date. We learned a little bit about neighborhoods and condos v. apts. Hit me up on gchat if you want help with your search. You're moving in June 1, right?

After failing on our search, we went to pinkberry and met this guy who is a student at Booth. He kept badmouthing Cravath and told us not to be corporate lawyers because you have to do what bankers tell you. You're the guy working for the guy (firm partner) who works for the guy who makes the decisions (the IB guy). Not five minutes later, he was raving about Quinn Emmanuel because John Quinn is the lawyer for the Oscars!!! ZOMG! I didn't know I could be the lawyer for the Oscars! Doing what actors tell you to do is so much more fulfilling than doing what bankers tell you to do!

According to Wikipedia, John Quinn got his start as a corporate lawyer at Cravath. LOLOLOLOL

cactuarX3

Postby cactuarX3 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:56 pm

cactuarX3 wrote:
cactuarX3 wrote: did someone say running?! EXCITE!

on a sad note, I have horrible case of runners knee and have a half marathon coming up this sunday. any advice on how to tough through it?

Wooo running!! I hate injuries. Is it your first half? (Sorry for clogging up this thread with stuffz that are not questions/challenges guys.) Personally, I wouldn't tough it through but that's because whenever I get an injury if I don't rest it keeps me out of commission for a longer time. I do understand how bad it feels to train for an event and then have a body part just crap out on you.

Also cactuar - you must choose NU. :D

no, it's not my first, i ran another one 2 weeks ago (which probably was my undoing). yeah, i think i'll tough it out. someone told me to use some shoe inserts and then apply tiger balm to the affected area; might also take some ibuprofen too before the race (jesus christ, i'm going to be more drugged up than Robert Downey Jr.)

I'm definitely leaning towards NU at this point!

Hope your half went well! Sounds like it might have been entertaining to see you run it. :mrgreen:

It actually went better than expected thanks to the magic of a combination of Ibuprofen/Tiger Balm/Knee Brace and insoles. Was able to shave off 23 seconds from my last half (small victories guys).

What is this Shamrock Shuffle you're talking about? A 10K with beer afterwards?! DO WANT

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:42 pm

Why did so many Northwestern 1Ls show up to the Quinn mixer in suits and business casual when all the advertising materials and invites repeatedly said "casual?"

Postby 09042014 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:51 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:Why did so many Northwestern 1Ls show up to the Quinn mixer in suits and business casual when all the advertising materials and invites repeatedly said "casual?"

Because it sounds like a trap. But they truly don't care. You can go on a callback in a polo shirt or worse.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:26 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:Why did so many Northwestern 1Ls show up to the Quinn mixer in suits and business casual when all the advertising materials and invites repeatedly said "casual?"

Did you notice how none of the attorneys were wearing anything less than business casual? I didn't see any of them wearing flip-flops.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:29 pm

Because NU is full of gunners, duh.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:43 pm

bdubs wrote:

Did you notice how none of the attorneys were wearing anything less than business casual? I didn't see any of them wearing flip-flops.

So you're saying that NU students are bad at following directions? :wink: I kid, I kid. I wish UChi and NU had more joint events.

Also, the Quinn flip-flops they gave me are two sizes too small. :(

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:58 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
bdubs wrote:

So you're saying that NU students are bad at following directions? :wink: I kid, I kid. I wish UChi and NU had more joint events.

Does drinking wine and watching a movie count as an event? If so, you're cordially invited to an NU/Uchi event at Scarlet's in the fall.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:42 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
bdubs wrote:

We're rebels. I don't know a single person that got flip-flops that fit. Agreed on the events thing though. Our completely different schedules seem to make that particularly difficult.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”