Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
bk1

Re: Northwestern Students Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby bk1 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:55 pm

Flips88 wrote:Per ATL:

hawt

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:52 pm

bk1 wrote:
Flips88 wrote:Per ATL:

hawt

Better than the makeup compacts that Kirkland Ellis gave out at a women's event.

gatorapplicant

Postby gatorapplicant » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:10 am

this is random and may have been asked earlier, but does the downtown campus have a gym? if so, what are the facilities like?

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:15 am

gatorapplicant wrote:this is random and may have been asked earlier, but does the downtown campus have a gym? if so, what are the facilities like?

It does not, for about $200(?) you can join the River East Athletic Club for a full year, which, from my understanding, is a pretty nice facility.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:25 am

D-hops wrote:
gatorapplicant wrote:this is random and may have been asked earlier, but does the downtown campus have a gym? if so, what are the facilities like?

It does not, for about $200(?) you can join the River East Athletic Club for a full year, which, from my understanding, is a pretty nice facility.

$200 a year? o_o that seems really cheap. If anyone else has insight into the facilities there, it would be great to get some details!

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:56 am

crumpetsandtea wrote:$200 a year? o_o that seems really cheap. If anyone else has insight into the facilities there, it would be great to get some details!

It's subsidized by the school. For normal folks it's something like $60ish/month. I've never used it but I've read the user reviews on Yelp and would say that the reason it gets poor reviews is because normal people who aren't students generally downrate their ratings due to the fact that they are annoyed by all the law/med students.

Most of the apartments around the school have their own gyms and I think the River East Club is the only non-apartment gym within the vicinity of the law school.

gatorapplicant

Postby gatorapplicant » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:08 pm

bk1 wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:$200 a year? o_o that seems really cheap. If anyone else has insight into the facilities there, it would be great to get some details!

It's subsidized by the school. For normal folks it's something like $60ish/month. I've never used it but I've read the user reviews on Yelp and would say that the reason it gets poor reviews is because normal people who aren't students generally downrate their ratings due to the fact that they are annoyed by all the law/med students.

Most of the apartments around the school have their own gyms and I think the River East Club is the only non-apartment gym within the vicinity of the law school.

good to know, thanks!

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:21 pm

It's generally a nice gym. It was originally independent and upscale, but has since been bought out by chains. It's currently owned by LA Fitness as one of their "signature" gyms.

It has all of the usual gym features (good selection of cardio equip, lots of weight equip.), it also has a fancy lap pool that is filtered with some non-cholrine stuff, a sauna, and a pretty good selection of group classes (https://www.lafitness.com/Pages/ClassSc ... clubid=737).

kennethellenparcell

Postby kennethellenparcell » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:30 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
D-hops wrote:

$200 a year? o_o that seems really cheap. If anyone else has insight into the facilities there, it would be great to get some details!

Crumps, forget gyms. Come running outside with me! Chicago is an amazing city to be a runner. There are tons of running things. CARA is great: http://www.cararuns.org/

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:34 pm

kennethellenparcell wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:
D-hops wrote:

Crumps, forget gyms. Come running outside with me! Chicago is an amazing city to be a runner. There are tons of running things. CARA is great: http://www.cararuns.org/

Oh god I'm so not a runner. I've always loathed running (although I'm going to do my first 5K this summer). You might have a hard time convincing me to run consistently. I'd gladly go on bike rides though! :D

Also, I need a gym membership so I can lift (:

cactuarX3

Postby cactuarX3 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:35 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
D-hops wrote:

did someone say running?! EXCITE!

on a sad note, I have horrible case of runners knee and have a half marathon coming up this sunday. any advice on how to tough through it?

kennethellenparcell

Postby kennethellenparcell » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:40 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote: Oh god I'm so not a runner. I've always loathed running (although I'm going to do my first 5K this summer). You might have a hard time convincing me to run consistently. I'd gladly go on bike rides though! :D

Aw. Maybe I'll change your mind with the Shamrock Shuffle next year! But wooo to the bike rides.

kennethellenparcell

Postby kennethellenparcell » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:44 pm

cactuarX3 wrote: did someone say running?! EXCITE!

on a sad note, I have horrible case of runners knee and have a half marathon coming up this sunday. any advice on how to tough through it?

Wooo running!! I hate injuries. Is it your first half? (Sorry for clogging up this thread with stuffz that are not questions/challenges guys.) Personally, I wouldn't tough it through but that's because whenever I get an injury if I don't rest it keeps me out of commission for a longer time. I do understand how bad it feels to train for an event and then have a body part just crap out on you.

Also cactuar - you must choose NU. :D

cactuarX3

Postby cactuarX3 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:54 pm

cactuarX3 wrote: did someone say running?! EXCITE!

Wooo running!! I hate injuries. Is it your first half? (Sorry for clogging up this thread with stuffz that are not questions/challenges guys.) Personally, I wouldn't tough it through but that's because whenever I get an injury if I don't rest it keeps me out of commission for a longer time. I do understand how bad it feels to train for an event and then have a body part just crap out on you.

Also cactuar - you must choose NU. :D

no, it's not my first, i ran another one 2 weeks ago (which probably was my undoing). yeah, i think i'll tough it out. someone told me to use some shoe inserts and then apply tiger balm to the affected area; might also take some ibuprofen too before the race (jesus christ, i'm going to be more drugged up than Robert Downey Jr.)

I'm definitely leaning towards NU at this point!

Dany

Postby Dany » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:56 pm

flips/bk - favorite food at Quinn? I think I'm going with the mini crabcake.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:15 pm

Dany wrote:flips/bk - favorite food at Quinn? I think I'm going with the mini crabcake.

I missed you! The only person I saw was deadluke from across the room.

Food? I'm going with the endless wine. On an opposite note, the weird black dessert things were awful.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:49 pm

Dany wrote:flips/bk - favorite food at Quinn? I think I'm going with the mini crabcake.

crabcakes is TCR. They tasted like yummy crab tater tots.

Dany

Postby Dany » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:15 pm

bk1 wrote:

Food? I'm going with the endless wine. On an opposite note, the weird black dessert things were awful.

Yeah I didn't stay long. I don't want to do litigation and Quinn would never hire me anyway so I ducked out pretty early. Also, did you not go into the kitchen? And the wine I had was great.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:19 pm

Dany wrote:Yeah I didn't stay long. I don't want to do litigation and Quinn would never hire me anyway so I ducked out pretty early. Also, did you not go into the kitchen? And the wine I had was great.

I went into the kitchen late (I also ate beforehand). I had assumed that the stuff they were walking around with originally was the same as the kitchen but I was told way late into the thing that I was wrong. The kitchen also became a chatting ground for a bunch of the partners/associates who basically staked out their spot for food (not sure if it was like this in the beginning).

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:29 pm

Dany wrote:
bk1 wrote:

Yeah I didn't stay long. I don't want to do litigation and Quinn would never hire me anyway so I ducked out pretty early. Also, did you not go into the kitchen? And the wine I had was great.

I learned within about 15 minutes of being there that 90% of their Chicago office is IP people and the office is incredibly small.

How I felt:

Dany

Postby Dany » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:36 pm

I lol'd at everyone who put the Chicago office as their preference.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:47 pm

Dany wrote:I lol'd at everyone who put the Chicago office as their preference.

I put San Francisco because I knew Chicago was not worth even trying.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:04 pm

Flips88 wrote:
Dany wrote:I lol'd at everyone who put the Chicago office as their preference.

I put San Francisco because I knew Chicago was not worth even trying.

Copycat.

Dany

Postby Dany » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:06 pm

NYC baby!*

*did not talk to a single Quinn NYC attorney.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:14 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote: Oh god I'm so not a runner. I've always loathed running (although I'm going to do my first 5K this summer). You might have a hard time convincing me to run consistently. I'd gladly go on bike rides though! :D

Aw. Maybe I'll change your mind with the Shamrock Shuffle next year! But wooo to the bike rides.

How long is the Shamrock Shuffle? I'm hoping that once I'm ready for this 5K, I'll be in the habit of running frequently. I think running is a better workout than biking is - I always feel more tired doing a short run than I do after a 12 mile bike ride.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”