Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.

Re: Northwestern Students Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby 09042014 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:56 pm

Kikero wrote:Hey, something Desert Fox said in another thread made me think:

Assuming OP is median at his school, NU won't give him a decent shot at Chicago unless Chicago biglaw starts hiring at levels levels much higher than they are now. Unless the OP is from the midwest and hasn't told us. Just going to NU is only a half-way decent tie to chicago. And without good grades he just won't get offers from Chicago. And at OCI you really have to choose Chicago bids or NYC bids. You can't do both, and you certainly can't do mostly one, and another as back up.

I hadn't really thought about ties before because I assumed that Chicago was a large enough market that they wouldn't be super important, but would ties to western Michigan (Kalamazoo area) be worth anything? I hadn't considered it before, but I'm originally from there and have tons of family in the area (also have some distant family in Chicago, but pretty distant).

I've already decided on Northwestern, but I was just sort of curious.

ETA: Posting here because I didn't want to hijack the other guy's thread.

IMO yes it would be enough but I really can't back that up with facts. I know a dood from there who got Chicago but he also lived in the city a while.

Kikero

Postby Kikero » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:05 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Kikero wrote:Hey, something Desert Fox said in another thread made me think:

Assuming OP is median at his school, NU won't give him a decent shot at Chicago unless Chicago biglaw starts hiring at levels levels much higher than they are now. Unless the OP is from the midwest and hasn't told us. Just going to NU is only a half-way decent tie to chicago. And without good grades he just won't get offers from Chicago. And at OCI you really have to choose Chicago bids or NYC bids. You can't do both, and you certainly can't do mostly one, and another as back up.

I hadn't really thought about ties before because I assumed that Chicago was a large enough market that they wouldn't be super important, but would ties to western Michigan (Kalamazoo area) be worth anything? I hadn't considered it before, but I'm originally from there and have tons of family in the area (also have some distant family in Chicago, but pretty distant).

I've already decided on Northwestern, but I was just sort of curious.

ETA: Posting here because I didn't want to hijack the other guy's thread.

IMO yes it would be enough but I really can't back that up with facts. I know a dood from there who got Chicago but he also lived in the city a while.

Yeah, I know it won't magically get me a job, I was more curious if it was worth mentioning. Thanks for the response.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:15 pm

kennethellenparcell wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
kennethellenparcell wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:Crumps and Kenneth, can you go on an excellent apartment hunting adventure? and take pictures? So I can live vicariously through you? 10 days...

Absolutely! Also, I plan on taking the route 66 north sometime soon (I think it stops by the law school...?) and seeing what sort of housing is available and then popping in to some high rises to see if they have anything?? Not sure if it will be a good plan...

I am ok with living in Lincoln Park or somewhere further north. I personally think Streeterville is waaaay too expensive.

Hang out with Crumps and me on Monday night?

Done and done! Where are you guys planning on going?

OK I'm not sure how available I'm gonna be now. Hotels were too expensive, so I think I'm gonna drive back to my aunt and uncle's house about an hour away unless I can find something cheap/free never mind. I'm good

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:50 am

Ok current students. Time for the semi-annual "0L asks a question that's been answered a million times." my lease here in the butt of texas is up on July 1st, and I need to move to Chicago at the beginning of June (like, the first week). So a few questions:

1) when should I start looking?
2) where should I look? I'd love to live close to campus, but I value paying less more. I'm willing to commute on public transit, and I have a car. Would prefer not to pay a ton (relatively).
3) Does anyone have experience moving in early? were you able to find a roommate?
4) any advice on remote apartment hunting?

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:09 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:Ok current students. Time for the semi-annual "0L asks a question that's been answered a million times." my lease here in the butt of texas is up on July 1st, and I need to move to Chicago at the beginning of June (like, the first week). So a few questions:

2) where should I look? I'd love to live close to campus, but I value paying less more. I'm willing to commute on public transit, and I have a car. Would prefer not to pay a ton (relatively).
3) Does anyone have experience moving in early? were you able to find a roommate?

(1) 30-60 days out is usually best. so if you're looking for a June 1st lease, now is a good time to start looking.
(2): living in Streeterville will be kind of expensive, especially with a car (most buildings charge a monthly parking fee of like $150-200). Getting a roommate is the best way to get a decent sized place for a reasonable price. You can look in Gold Coast, Lincoln Park, and Lakeview also. I live in Lakeview and jump on an express lakeshore bus every morning. Door to door commute is about 20 mins.
(3): Can't help you here
(4): domu.com and padmapper.com

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:35 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:Ok current students. Time for the semi-annual "0L asks a question that's been answered a million times." my lease here in the butt of texas is up on July 1st, and I need to move to Chicago at the beginning of June (like, the first week). So a few questions:

1. 30 days is good. It's not a college town so people generally are month to month and leave randomly. It's not as structured like the college town I came from where people got their leases set up in Jan/Feb to start in Sept. I looked first week of July and moved in first week of Aug. It's also pretty random. When I looked there was only a single 1BR in the building I live in and that's what I got (it is on a high floor so it costs a chunk extra for that). Whereas a friend of mine looked a week after me at the same building and got a 1BR on the lowest floor for a lot less $. I think it's just random and that looking in advance isn't necessarily better (it's good to keep on the lookout though) since it just depends on when other people move out.
2. A car will be an insane expense. Even in the places that flips mentions, a car is going to cost you an assload. I think if you really don't want to pay at on you've got to sacrifice the car or live really far away.
3. N/A
4. padmapper.com hotpads.com domu.com

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:38 pm

bk1 wrote:

1. 30 days is good. It's not a college town so people generally are month to month and leave randomly. It's not as structured like the college town I came from where people got their leases set up in Jan/Feb to start in Sept. I looked first week of July and moved in first week of Aug. It's also pretty random. When I looked there was only a single 1BR in the building I live in and that's what I got (it is on a high floor so it costs a chunk extra for that). Whereas a friend of mine looked a week after me at the same building and got a 1BR on the lowest floor for a lot less $. I think it's just random and that looking in advance isn't necessarily better (it's good to keep on the lookout though) since it just depends on when other people move out.
2. A car will be an insane expense. Even in the places that flips mentions, a car is going to cost you an assload. I think if you really don't want to pay at on you've got to sacrifice the car or live really far away.
3. N/A

Thanks BK and flips! I think my head knows that about my car, but my heart is a road-tripping midwestern/southerner who can't imagine living without one. I have to use it to move, anyway, but I'm considering letting my dad drive it while I'm living in Chicago, at least the first year.

Samara

Postby Samara » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:47 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:
bk1 wrote:

3. N/A

Thanks BK and flips! I think my head knows that about my car, but my heart is a road-tripping midwestern/southerner who can't imagine living without one. I have to use it to move, anyway, but I'm considering letting my dad drive it while I'm living in Chicago, at least the first year.

We're selling our car and using zipcar for any intracity car travel we need and then renting when we need to go out of town. Renting is surprisingly inexpensive. And how often are you going to drive out of town? Just owning a car in the city costs an assload: insurance, parking, car payments if you have them, then gas and maintenance on top of that. You could drive around all the time with Zipcar and Enterprise and still spend less. PM if you want details on Zipcar, etc.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:49 pm

Samara wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:
bk1 wrote:

3. N/A

We're selling our car and using zipcar for any intracity car travel we need and then renting when we need to go out of town. Renting is surprisingly inexpensive. And how often are you going to drive out of town? Just owning a car in the city costs an assload: insurance, parking, car payments if you have them, then gas and maintenance on top of that. You could drive around all the time with Zipcar and Enterprise and still spend less. PM if you want details on Zipcar, etc.

I haven't really thought about selling my car because I have a car loan and don't know how to sell a car when I don't really... own it yet #financialidiot

cactuarX3

Postby cactuarX3 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:55 pm

Are there any current students who moved from California (or other place relatively far from Chicago)? I want to ask about what the process of moving was like. For example, if it makes sense to ship things like TVs, furniture, etc. and what the cost to ship things would be.

Samara

Postby Samara » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:02 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:I haven't really thought about selling my car because I have a car loan and don't know how to sell a car when I don't really... own it yet #financialidiot

I also have a car loan. You own the car, so you can sell it if you want. The bank doesn't own the car until you default on your loan.

I don't know a lot about it, but I will be researching it soon. I'll share what I find with you. Maybe there's a top-car-sales.com

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:26 pm

Any 1Ls going to the Quinn Emmanuel mixer-interview thing tomorrow?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:45 pm

cactuarX3 wrote:Are there any current students who moved from California (or other place relatively far from Chicago)? I want to ask about what the process of moving was like. For example, if it makes sense to ship things like TVs, furniture, etc. and what the cost to ship things would be.

I moved from CA. All my college furniture was cheap Ikea crap that had either died or I let my roommates have it so that wasn't an issue. Whether it makes sense to ship furniture depends on what kind furniture you have and how valuable it is. If you have a decent amount that you care about then it might be worth it to pay for a real moving company but it'll cost probably a couple thousand dollars. Since I didn't have anything worth it I went ahead and just got all new Ikea crap when I got here.

My gf and I did ship a bunch of other stuff. Computer, consoles, kitchen appliances (including a large Kitchenaid mixer), fragile stuff like diningware/glassware, most of our clothes, etc. It's expensive to ship each of those things by UPS/USPS/FedEx (I think a 30lb box of clothes would have cost me $60+). Plus boxes shipped by those places are treated like crap. My recommendation is, if you're not shipping anything as large as furniture, and you still have a lot of stuff, to do freight shipping. Our stuff came out to around 600 lbs worth and it cost us $600 (we used freightcenter.com which I recommend). We boxed everything up and then stacked it neatly on a pallet that ended up measuring (the pallet we got for free from a local business who would have thrown it out anyway). We then wrapped it with movers wrap. The shipper then picked up the pallet from my house in CA and delivered it to Chicago in under 2 weeks. The nice thing about shipping everything as a pallet is that it protects the fragile stuff. They aren't going to drop or abuse the pallet like they might have done with a single box containing a TV, computer, dishes, or anything else fragile. The more fragile stuff can be placed towards the center and cushioned by boxes of clothes on the outside. Since we didn't have furniture it was a lot cheaper than using a moving truck or something like PODS which would have cost $1k-2k.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:45 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Any 1Ls going to the Quinn Emmanuel mixer-interview thing tomorrow?

Much to my chagrin... yes.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:56 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Any 1Ls going to the Quinn Emmanuel mixer-interview thing tomorrow?

Yeah I think there will be a shit load of people there since it's 1Ls from both Northwestern and UChi. I'm partly going to people watch.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:58 pm

Flips88 wrote:

Yeah I think there will be a shit load of people there since it's 1Ls from both Northwestern and UChi. I'm partly going to people watch.

You guys should keep a tally of how many TLSers you can spot gunning (or laughing at gunners) in the crowd. :lol:

Dany

Postby Dany » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:01 pm

bk1 wrote:

Much to my chagrin... yes.

You're not excited to hang out? :(

PS CAN YOU BRING BKITTEN. TOTALLY APPROPRIATE I THINK.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:17 pm

Dany wrote:You're not excited to hang out? :(

PS CAN YOU BRING BKITTEN. TOTALLY APPROPRIATE I THINK.

Dany

Postby Dany » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:18 pm

I die of the cuteness.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:32 pm

He looks like he's ready to swim with the sharks

Dany

Postby Dany » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:19 pm

"True to Quinn Emanuel fashion, our event will be casual dress. We'll even give you a pair of our famous flip flops to take home with you! "

So excite?

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:27 pm

Dany wrote:"True to Quinn Emanuel fashion, our event will be casual dress. We'll even give you a pair of our famous flip flops to take home with you! "

So excite?

So who wants a pair of flips flops that are too small for me?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:30 pm

Dany wrote:"True to Quinn Emanuel fashion, our event will be casual dress. We'll even give you a pair of our famous flip flops to take home with you! "

So excite?

They're providing shoes?! Shit I'm going barefoot now.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:43 pm

Flips88 wrote:

So excite?

Do they have the preftigious Quinn Emanuel name on them? Because if so, I will gladly take them off your hands and possibly use them as shower shoes when I travel to Europe this summer.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:54 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Flips88 wrote:

So excite?

Do they have the preftigious Quinn Emanuel name on them? Because if so, I will gladly take them off your hands and possibly use them as shower shoes when I travel to Europe this summer.

Per ATL:

--ImageRemoved--

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”