Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
rinkrat19

Re: Northwestern Students Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:32 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:I can teach anyone to dance. It's been proven.
I am willing. I hope I do not prove the exception to the rule.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:34 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:

I have an awkward straight guy friend who would awkwardly shift his weight from foot to foot and, when dancing with a companion, would grab her by the hips and thrust madly.

I gave him lessons, and now he has a girlfriend. I rest my case.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:39 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

I have an awkward straight guy friend who would awkwardly shift his weight from foot to foot and, when dancing with a companion, would grab her by the hips and thrust madly.

I gave him lessons, and now he has a girlfriend. I rest my case.

you should hire out these services. Too many guys need them.

Samara

Postby Samara » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:28 pm

In for the drunken dancing. AWWWWWWYEEEEAH

--ImageRemoved--

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:31 pm

Samara wrote:In for the drunken dancing. AWWWWWWYEEEEAH

--ImageRemoved--

Every time I remember I'll be going to school with Samara, my NU decision gets better :-D

Samara

Postby Samara » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:00 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:

--ImageRemoved--

Every time I remember I'll be going to school with Samara, my NU decision gets better :-D

:mrgreen:

The bond forged in St. Louis cannot be unbroken.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:58 pm

Samara wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:

--ImageRemoved--

:mrgreen:

The bond forged in St. Louis cannot be unbroken.

dude, check your PMs

kennethellenparcell

Postby kennethellenparcell » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:52 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:Some of the 0L TLSers are planning on going bar-hopping after the Wigmore Follies show on Friday (April 13th). If any current students are interested in either joining us or giving us advice on which bars to hit up, that'd be awesome!! :mrgreen:

So hard for me to keep up with the three NU threads (mostly because I am somewhat technologically incompetent). I am so down for a dance party!!

I'll probably miss Wigmore Follies (which makes me super sad) because I'm taking improv classes at Second City - and they meet on Fridays. Would definitely pass up the improv class, except for the fact that we have a show at the end of April.

If anyone wants to hit up Old Town and catch a Second City show + hang out at the Ale House + dance party later, I am also up for that.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:07 pm

kennethellenparcell wrote:So hard for me to keep up with the three NU threads (mostly because I am somewhat technologically incompetent). I am so down for a dance party!!

I'll probably miss Wigmore Follies (which makes me super sad) because I'm taking improv classes at Second City - and they meet on Fridays. Would definitely pass up the improv class, except for the fact that we have a show at the end of April.

If anyone wants to hit up Old Town and catch a Second City show + hang out at the Ale House + dance party later, I am also up for that.

OOOOOH that sounds awesome!!! Wait, do you live in CHicago, KEP? If so, we should meet up!!! I'll be in the city from this Wed. till the Monday after ASW!

kennethellenparcell

Postby kennethellenparcell » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:11 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
kennethellenparcell wrote:So hard for me to keep up with the three NU threads (mostly because I am somewhat technologically incompetent). I am so down for a dance party!!

OOOOOH that sounds awesome!!! Wait, do you live in CHicago, KEP? If so, we should meet up!!! I'll be in the city from this Wed. till the Monday after ASW!

Yes ma'am. And 100% yes to this.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:12 pm

Crumps and Kenneth, can you go on an excellent apartment hunting adventure? and take pictures? So I can live vicariously through you? 10 days...

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:14 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:Crumps and Kenneth, can you go on an excellent apartment hunting adventure? and take pictures? So I can live vicariously through you? 10 days...

YES, omg I need to do this so bad. I have no idea how to go about doing it though...do I just call nearby apartment complexes and ask to come see an apt/get a tour? Or can I just show up?

kennethellenparcell

Postby kennethellenparcell » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:16 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:Crumps and Kenneth, can you go on an excellent apartment hunting adventure? and take pictures? So I can live vicariously through you? 10 days...

Absolutely! Also, I plan on taking the route 66 north sometime soon (I think it stops by the law school...?) and seeing what sort of housing is available and then popping in to some high rises to see if they have anything?? Not sure if it will be a good plan...

I am ok with living in Lincoln Park or somewhere further north. I personally think Streeterville is waaaay too expensive.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:21 pm

kennethellenparcell wrote:

Absolutely! Also, I plan on taking the route 66 north sometime soon (I think it stops by the law school...?) and seeing what sort of housing is available and then popping in to some high rises to see if they have anything?? Not sure if it will be a good plan...

I am ok with living in Lincoln Park or somewhere further north. I personally think Streeterville is waaaay too expensive.

66 bus runs east/west on Chicago Ave. ;-)

Samara

Postby Samara » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:36 pm

In for the apartment hunting adventure. I was thinking of using the Chicago Apartment Finders service. It's free! And they drive you around and stuff.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:40 pm

Samara wrote:

In for the apartment hunting adventure. I was thinking of using the Chicago Apartment Finders service. It's free! And they drive you around and stuff.

Ooooooooh this sounds awesome. And yess the three of us should definitely do it together. I have no idea what I'm doing. Lemme know which day(s) work best for you guys. Do we have to contact apt complexes ahead of time?

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:41 pm

Samara wrote:

Reviews on this is pretty mixed- places you see will quote you a slightly higher rent cause they have to pay off Chicago Apartment Finders. However, they're good at finding a good match for your needs, from what I've heard. :-)

Samara

Postby Samara » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:42 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Samara wrote:

Ooooooooh this sounds awesome. And yess the three of us should definitely do it together. I have no idea what I'm doing. Lemme know which day(s) work best for you guys. Do we have to contact apt complexes ahead of time?

Most places should have a leasing office that's open during normal business hours and probably Saturdays. It may be in a different building though. The apartment finding service has all the info you would need anyway.

What about this Saturday?

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:53 pm

Hang out with Crumps and me on Monday night?

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:14 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:Hang out with Crumps and me on Monday night?

YES!!! You too Samara :mrgreen:
Samara wrote:Most places should have a leasing office that's open during normal business hours and probably Saturdays. It may be in a different building though. The apartment finding service has all the info you would need anyway.

What about this Saturday?

Okay sweet. This Saturday works perfectly for me. I might do some apartment browsing on my own (maybe) just cause, well, what else am I gonna do on Thurs/Fri? XD

kennethellenparcell

Postby kennethellenparcell » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:37 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:

bahaha. I am terrible with directions (as you may be able to tell). I get around by identifying landmarks and my spidey sense of where Lake Michigan is.

kennethellenparcell

Postby kennethellenparcell » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:39 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:

Done and done! Where are you guys planning on going?

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:42 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:

bahaha. I am terrible with directions (as you may be able to tell). I get around by identifying landmarks and my spidey sense of where Lake Michigan is.

You'll get it sorted :-)

Also, word to the wise- look up and learn the basics of the Chicago grid system. You'll save so much time and effort :-)

Samara

Postby Samara » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:46 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:

Done and done! Where are you guys planning on going?

Check you PMs.

Kikero

Postby Kikero » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:24 pm

Hey, something Desert Fox said in another thread made me think:

Assuming OP is median at his school, NU won't give him a decent shot at Chicago unless Chicago biglaw starts hiring at levels levels much higher than they are now. Unless the OP is from the midwest and hasn't told us. Just going to NU is only a half-way decent tie to chicago. And without good grades he just won't get offers from Chicago. And at OCI you really have to choose Chicago bids or NYC bids. You can't do both, and you certainly can't do mostly one, and another as back up.

I hadn't really thought about ties before because I assumed that Chicago was a large enough market that they wouldn't be super important, but would ties to western Michigan (Kalamazoo area) be worth anything? I hadn't considered it before, but I'm originally from there and have tons of family in the area (also have some distant family in Chicago, but pretty distant).

I've already decided on Northwestern, but I was just sort of curious.

ETA: Posting here because I didn't want to hijack the other guy's thread.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”