Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
IAFG

Platinum

Re: Northwestern Students Taking Questions and Challenges

Post by IAFG » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:43 am

roranoa wrote:Would you guys recommend law school or becoming a lawyer to your children? cousins? nephews?

I've seen a few people recommend law school and some people who were against it.
(all of whom are lawyers)

What about you guys here? You guys go to one of the best schools in the nation and I'm assuming you're all smart people knowing what you're doing with your life. Would you guys recommend someone very close to you to become a lawyer? I think this questions is like asking "Do you like being a lawyer (or the prospect of it)?"
It would depend totally on the person. I know someone I'm encouraging to go to law school; he's been working for 6 years, 2 of those in management, has a background to give him a good shot at firm work and generally I think he has the personality for it. But I would never suggest it to a college jr/sr.

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:00 pm

IAFG wrote: I would never suggest it to a college jr/sr.
I think b/c of the costs/time/risks involved it should be a decision made after earnestly pursuing a few other options first.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:40 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
I think b/c of the costs/time/risks involved it should be a decision made after earnestly pursuing a few other options first.
There are a million reasons why being a K-JD is a bad idea, but this is certainly one of them.

Now, there are some K-JDs who made the right call, but from the position of a college student, you really have no idea if you're that person.

roranoa

Silver

Post by roranoa » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:33 pm

IAFG wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:
There are a million reasons why being a K-JD is a bad idea, but this is certainly one of them.

Now, there are some K-JDs who made the right call, but from the position of a college student, you really have no idea if you're that person.
What's a "K-JD"?

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:35 pm

roranoa wrote:
What's a "K-JD"?
The term for someone who went straight from undergrad to law school. They are few and far between at Northwestern.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

roranoa

Silver

Post by roranoa » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:40 pm

Flips88 wrote:
roranoa wrote:
What's a "K-JD"?
The term for someone who went straight from undergrad to law school. They are few and far between at Northwestern.
Right. Got it. Thanks.

Can I ask you the same question? Do you enjoy lawschool? or at least are you looking forward to becoming a lawyer?

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:52 pm

roranoa wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
roranoa wrote:
What's a "K-JD"?
Right. Got it. Thanks.

Can I ask you the same question? Do you enjoy lawschool? or at least are you looking forward to becoming a lawyer?
I'm a 1L so I haven't done any summer legal work and can't give you a solid answer on if I enjoy it or not yet. As for school, it's a toss up. Some of the material is pretty interesting (Crim law), while some classes bore the shit out of me (Con Law). Probably the best part of law school is my classmates.

I still look forward to being a lawyer. Maybe that'll change, I don't know.

I'd only advise people to go to law school if they believe strongly they want to be a lawyer and that they are willing to risk a butt load of money on that belief.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:04 pm

Hey, thread regulars! I don't know what y'all are doing during ASW, but a few of us (me, crumps, rinkrat, scarlet so far) are going to the do the Beer and Bacon Tasting at Paddy Long's in Lincoln Park. I think it would be fun to meet some of the TLS Northwestern crew, especially since you all have been so helpful and friendly. But the best part is that you can get in on the action for half off through LivingSocial! $18 gets you five microbrew beers and five specially prepared bacons. I did this last fall and it was awesome.

We are looking at doing the one on Saturday, April 14, at 6pm because that it likely the best availability for everyone.

Here's a link to the deal: http://www.livingsocial.com/deals/29455 ... i=15867892

If you are interested, just click the link to buy the deal and then PM me so I can arrange the reservations. It's up for just three more days, so don't dilly dally. Let me know if you have any questions. What better way to kick off studying for finals, am I right?

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:08 pm

Flips88 wrote:
roranoa wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
roranoa wrote:
What's a "K-JD"?
Right. Got it. Thanks.

I'm a 1L so I haven't done any summer legal work and can't give you a solid answer on if I enjoy it or not yet. As for school, it's a toss up. Some of the material is pretty interesting (Crim law), while some classes bore the shit out of me (Con Law). Probably the best part of law school is my classmates.

I still look forward to being a lawyer. Maybe that'll change, I don't know.

I'd only advise people to go to law school if they believe strongly they want to be a lawyer and that they are willing to risk a butt load of money on that belief.
I only advise it if you've already rolled nekkid in piles of cash so that you know if you're allergic to it or not

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:27 pm

Hey Holly, I never ended up following through with that challenge to see who could chug a beer the fastest last time I visited...let's make it happen at ASW, yes? :D

gatorapplicant

Bronze

Post by gatorapplicant » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:33 pm

Flips88 wrote:
roranoa wrote:
What's a "K-JD"?
how do these students usually do? i'll be in this situation if i attend northwestern next year.

igo2northwestern

Bronze

Post by igo2northwestern » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:55 pm

gatorapplicant wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
roranoa wrote:
What's a "K-JD"?
how do these students usually do? i'll be in this situation if i attend northwestern next year.
Two of my good friends were straight from undergrad, and they did extremely well.

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:12 pm

gatorapplicant wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
roranoa wrote:
What's a "K-JD"?
I don't think it affects how well you'll do. Work experience isn't going to make you better at law school exams. The work experience at Northwestern just makes the class more experienced and mature.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

gatorapplicant

Bronze

Post by gatorapplicant » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:17 pm

Flips88 wrote:
gatorapplicant wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
roranoa wrote:
What's a "K-JD"?
I don't think it affects how well you'll do. Work experience isn't going to make you better at law school exams. The work experience at Northwestern just makes the class more experienced and mature.
thanks for your input... also, how do they do in terms of fitting in with the rest of the class? frankly, i'm a little intimidated.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:24 pm

gatorapplicant wrote:thanks for your input... also, how do they do in terms of fitting in with the rest of the class? frankly, i'm a little intimidated.
The few I know fit in just fine. There's plenty of people at NU who were just paper pushers/desk jockeys (myself included), I don't think that's impressive in the slightest. Even the people who had good careers prior, they're in the same position that you are now so no reason to be intimidated.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:42 pm

igo2northwestern wrote:
gatorapplicant wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
roranoa wrote:
What's a "K-JD"?
Two of my good friends were straight from undergrad, and they did extremely well.
People who do well are likely to talk about it. I would be surprised if they do any better or worse than the rest of the class. They don't appear to be any more or less likely to get LR, land top firms, any of that.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:10 pm

The few K-JD's I know fit in just fine, though I will say it was noticeable that they grew/matured more than others over three years.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:16 pm

IAFG wrote:They don't appear to be any more or less likely to get LR, land top firms, any of that.
You mention firms... any idea how much their lack of work exp hurt them compared to others during OCI? I know this is one of the bigger worries that K-JD's have with coming to NU.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:03 pm

Hey everybody, today is the last day for the Beer and Bacon Tasting deal from LivingSocial: http://www.livingsocial.com/deals/29455 ... i=15867892 We have a great group building, but bigger is of course better!

Looks like Saturday, April 14, from 6-8p is going to work the best for everybody. If you are coming, please PM me or post in this thread if you haven't done so already so I can secure the appropriate reservation.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:11 pm

Samara wrote:Hey everybody, today is the last day for the Beer and Bacon Tasting deal from LivingSocial: http://www.livingsocial.com/deals/29455 ... i=15867892 We have a great group building, but bigger is of course better!

Looks like Saturday, April 14, from 6-8p is going to work the best for everybody. If you are coming, please PM me or post in this thread if you haven't done so already so I can secure the appropriate reservation.
mmmm, bacon.

How many of us are there, Samara?

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:11 pm

Samara wrote:Hey everybody, today is the last day for the Beer and Bacon Tasting deal from LivingSocial: http://www.livingsocial.com/deals/29455 ... i=15867892 We have a great group building, but bigger is of course better!

Count me in!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:17 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:

mmmm, bacon.

I don't have official confirmation from crumps yet, but assuming she's in, we have seven so far, including myself.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:29 pm

Samara wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

mmmm, bacon.

I don't have official confirmation from crumps yet, but assuming she's in, we have seven so far, including myself.
Consider this my official confirmation! (:

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:13 pm

Anyone have any experience with/know anyone who's done the International Team Project thing? I have no intention of studying abroad for a term or a summer in law school (everything I've read makes it sound like a bad idea, job search-wise, no matter how fun it might be), but how about ITP's comparative law class+spring break trip+research paper?

http://www.law.northwestern.edu/itp/

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:44 am

rinkrat19 wrote:Anyone have any experience with/know anyone who's done the International Team Project thing? I have no intention of studying abroad for a term or a summer in law school (everything I've read makes it sound like a bad idea, job search-wise, no matter how fun it might be), but how about ITP's comparative law class+spring break trip+research paper?

http://www.law.northwestern.edu/itp/
People I know have liked it variously depending on which trip. You can't do it as a 1L, so you have some time, but I'd recommend doing it with professors/places you are motivated to work with cause it can be intense. (and apparently intensely bad if you hate the prof)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”