Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Flips88

Re: Northwestern Students Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Flips88 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:13 pm

Desert Fox wrote:None of you are Kevin Chin are you?

I may or may not own six dozen hawaiian shirts

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:52 pm

Desert Fox wrote:None of you are Kevin Chin are you?

I would hear more of this Kevin Chin you speak of, he sounds amazing

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:39 am

bk1 wrote:
Flips88 wrote:DON'T OUT ME BRO

Nobody could ever connect you to your online persona.

Such lies. I know all about flips. He's really, really short....amirite? :mrgreen:

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:00 am

crumpetsandtea wrote:
bk1 wrote:
Flips88 wrote:DON'T OUT ME BRO

Nobody could ever connect you to your online persona.

Such lies. I know all about flips. He's really, really short....amirite? :mrgreen:

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:13 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

chill

Postby chill » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:02 pm

Asking for someone (who is not me) who has been admitted to Northwestern and a number of other T14's and is trying to choose between them:

Are there any classes/opportunities/clubs at all for someone interested in union-side labor law? Any professors who seem particularly interested in labor law during class? Any comment on this at all would be really useful-- he is deeply worried the JD/MBA's will give him wedgies in the bathroom.

Thanks, y'all!

Postby 09042014 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:08 pm

chill wrote:Asking for someone (who is not me) who has been admitted to Northwestern and a number of other T14's and is trying to choose between them:

Are there any classes/opportunities/clubs at all for someone interested in union-side labor law? Any professors who seem particularly interested in labor law during class? Any comment on this at all would be really useful-- he is deeply worried the JD/MBA's will give him wedgies in the bathroom.

Thanks, y'all!

LOL, MBA students are fucking nerds like law students, only nobody told them how nerdy they are.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:32 pm

Me again. I can't remember if I've asked this before, but... when in 1L year will we we need a suit? I know we take facebook photos first day; what do women wear in those? Will I need a suit before Christmas (when I could go home and buy a decent suit with a student discount and without sales tax)?

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:03 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Me again. I can't remember if I've asked this before, but... when in 1L year will we we need a suit? I know we take facebook photos first day; what do women wear in those? Will I need a suit before Christmas (when I could go home and buy a decent suit with a student discount and without sales tax)?

I believe the photos were business prof (I know I had a tie on, can't remember about the jacket)...there are networking events in the fall that some probably wore suits to, there were also mock interviews that required a suit...all said I'd try and bring at least 1 business pro outfit.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:09 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Me again. I can't remember if I've asked this before, but... when in 1L year will we we need a suit? I know we take facebook photos first day; what do women wear in those? Will I need a suit before Christmas (when I could go home and buy a decent suit with a student discount and without sales tax)?

Dunno what women wore but it's business casual as homestyle said. I was even more of a slacker and just wore a button up without a tie (it wasn't even ironed, I basically threw it on without really thinking twice). Incidentally, I got my 1L summer gig through an employer finding me in our resume book and I'm not entirely sure if the picture we took during orientation is associated with that. I think other people were even wearing sweatshirts so that pic is probably not a big deal.

You won't need a suit for firm receptions, business casual is more than enough (and if they're at school then most people are just wearing jeans anyways). I don't know when the mock interviews are but homestyle makes a good point that you should have it for that. Other than that, there are some people who got interviews during December because they sent stuff out December 1. However these people were in a very very small minority.

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:39 pm

I didn't wear a suit until after Christmas. I didn't really do any of the networking or mock interviews stuff, though. I can't remember what everyone wore for the photos but I was in a button down without a tie and don't remember feeling underdressed.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:11 am

Thanks for the info, all. I'm thinking I'll get one basic suit before school starts just to be prepared. If I need more later, I can shop when I'm home for Christmas.

I've never worn a suit! This is kind of exciting. :P

Samara

Postby Samara » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:50 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:I've never worn a suit! This is kind of exciting. :P

Ugh. Another K-JD with so much to learn...

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:52 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:I've never worn a suit!

O_0

cactuarX3

Postby cactuarX3 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:54 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Thanks for the info, all. I'm thinking I'll get one basic suit before school starts just to be prepared. If I need more later, I can shop when I'm home for Christmas.

really???? never been to a wedding/fancy dinner/funeral?

Samara

Postby Samara » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:55 pm

cactuarX3 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Thanks for the info, all. I'm thinking I'll get one basic suit before school starts just to be prepared. If I need more later, I can shop when I'm home for Christmas.

really???? never been to a wedding/fancy dinner/funeral?

rinkrat is a lady, so I assume a dress or something was work on those occasions?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:57 pm

Samara wrote:

K-JD, not even close! (I'm 32.) :lol: I've just never had a job where anything more formal than cargo pants and a polo shirt was required.

And yes, I'm female, so it's not like I've had to wear a suit to weddings and formals. I have lots of dresses, but nothing approaching a skirt suit.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:58 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Samara wrote:

K-JD, not even close! (I'm 32.) :lol: I've just never had a job where anything more formal than cargo pants and a polo shirt was required.

And yes, I'm female, so it's not like I've had to wear a suit to weddings and formals. I have lots of dresses, but nothing approaching a skirt suit.

I guess that's valid. I wore skirt suits to work a lot before I started my current job, where I have to purposefully look like shit.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:01 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
Samara wrote:

I guess that's valid. I wore skirt suits to work a lot before I started my current job, where I have to purposefully look like shit.
My current job (I work for a small city utility) requires me to sit at a computer most of the time, but field visits are frequent enough that wearing anything nice is stupid. Standing around in a muddy construction site + suit = not a good idea.

Samara

Postby Samara » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:01 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Samara wrote:

haha, I know you're not a K-JD. :P

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:03 pm

Samara wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
Samara wrote:

haha, I know you're not a K-JD. :P
lol, gotcha.

I do have much to learn, though. Why, back in my day, we didn't register for classes on this intertubes thing. :wink:

Samara

Postby Samara » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:04 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:My current job (I work for a small city utility) requires me to sit at a computer most of the time, but field visits are frequent enough that wearing anything nice is stupid. Standing around in a muddy construction site + suit = not a good idea.

This guy disagrees:

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:05 pm

Samara wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:My current job (I work for a small city utility) requires me to sit at a computer most of the time, but field visits are frequent enough that wearing anything nice is stupid. Standing around in a muddy construction site + suit = not a good idea.

This guy disagrees:

Well hell, if they gave me a Segway...

Samara

Postby Samara » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:08 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Samara wrote:

This guy disagrees:

[img]

I hope that whenever you have to wear it, you walk around campus complaining that people are getting stuff on your increasingly expensive suit and yell "come on!"

chill

Postby chill » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:11 pm

Samara wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
Samara wrote:

This guy disagrees:

[img]

I hope that whenever you have to wear it, you walk around campus complaining that people are getting stuff on your increasingly expensive suit and yell "come on!"

"Are you really going to get the guy in the 1/16-of-COA suit dirty? COME ON."

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”