Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
rinkrat19

Re: Northwestern Students Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:22 pm

bdubs wrote:The Illinois C&F forms are a huge pain in the ass. Is it worth it to go through the hassle now, or is the $350 not really a bid deal (i.e. firms cover it anyway)?
Huh?

ETA: NVM, thought this was in the admissions thread and was wondering why 0Ls would be filling out C&F. :oops: Carry on!

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:02 pm

bdubs wrote:The Illinois C&F forms are a huge pain in the ass. Is it worth it to go through the hassle now, or is the $350 not really a big deal (i.e. firms cover it anyway)?

No idea about C&F forms, but I know for stuff like bar prep it depends on the firm. Some firms pay for bar prep directly so if you've already paid then you've effectively lost your money whereas others will give you a loan, payday advance, or straight up cash. I'd imagine it works similarly for the C&F forms.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:13 pm

bk1 wrote:
bdubs wrote:The Illinois C&F forms are a huge pain in the ass. Is it worth it to go through the hassle now, or is the $350 not really a big deal (i.e. firms cover it anyway)?

No idea about C&F forms, but I know for stuff like bar prep it depends on the firm. Some firms pay for bar prep directly so if you've already paid then you've effectively lost your money whereas others will give you a loan, payday advance, or straight up cash. I'd imagine it works similarly for the C&F forms.

Shit, that doesn't really help but thanks.

I can't believe that they want ten years of employment history and two undergrad professors as references, I thought I was done with all of that when I got in to law school.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:16 pm

bdubs wrote:I can't believe that they want ten years of employment history and two undergrad professors as references, I thought I was done with all of that when I got in to law school.

Do they think we're Joel McHale and we scammed our way through undergrad?

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:07 pm

bdubs wrote:two undergrad professors as references

Welp, I guess I don't need to go to the Chicago legal market presentation anymore. I don't even know if I remember the names of two undergrad professors.

midwesTT

Postby midwesTT » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:23 pm

i know this was hashed out at the beginning of the thread, but since you're takinq q's, i might as well re-hash it.

what are your thoughts on transfer opportunities? how did transfers fare at OCI? what stats (if you know any) were competitive?

fwiw, i'm 3.8+ at lower TT with engineering background and 2ish years w/e

Postby 09042014 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:25 pm

Bumi wrote:

Welp, I guess I don't need to go to the Chicago legal market presentation anymore. I don't even know if I remember the names of two undergrad professors.

I hope they like talking to someone who doesn't remember me.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:17 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Bumi wrote:

+1
I could possibly come up with ONE name, and he for damn sure doesn't remember me from a decade ago. Do UG schools keep records of who taught which class when? Because that's the only way I'll be able to come up with this shit in a year or two.

I think if they're so damn interested in irrelevant minutiae, THEY should do the legwork!

ETA: I just went through the faculty list on my UG website and recognize four names. If all of them move or retire in the next few years, I'm screwed.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:52 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Bumi wrote:

lol you have to be kidding me. i remember more teachers from elementary school than i do undergrad, maybe that will suffice.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:34 am

Is it worth it to take a summer class online in addition to working? Something like Admin, maybe?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:09 pm

Do most apartment/condo buildings have recycling bins for cans/paper/plastic/glass?

From what I could tell from the City of Chicago site, multi-unit dwellings w/ more than 4 units aren't required to provide recycling programs, but may, through private companies. Wondering how common it is.

Recycling is such a norm out here on the west coast that it's weird to me to have to think about this stuff!

Samara

Postby Samara » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:54 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Do most apartment/condo buildings have recycling bins for cans/paper/plastic/glass?

From what I could tell from the City of Chicago site, multi-unit dwellings w/ more than 4 units aren't required to provide recycling programs, but may, through private companies. Wondering how common it is.

Recycling is such a norm out here on the west coast that it's weird to me to have to think about this stuff!

I don't know how it is in the city, but living in several apartment buildings in Indiana and now the suburbs, I have yet to come across one that offers recycling. What are we, hippies? This is REAL 'Murrca!

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:58 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Do most apartment/condo buildings have recycling bins for cans/paper/plastic/glass?

McClurg has recycling bins on the 2nd floor only (you have to take it down there yourself whereas there is a trash chute that every floor has access to).

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:01 pm

Samara wrote:

I don't know how it is in the city, but living in several apartment buildings in Indiana and now the suburbs, I have yet to come across one that offers recycling. What are we, hippies? This is REAL 'Murrca!
Jesus, that's depressing. We've had universal widespread curbside/building/complex recycling here since...I don't even remember. Gotta be at least 15 years. Before that, we hauled our recycling to collection centers. Throwing shit away just isn't done.

Hopefully more city buildings are like McClurg.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:03 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Samara wrote:

Jesus, that's depressing. We've had universal widespread curbside/building/complex recycling here since...I don't even remember. Gotta be at least 15 years. Before that, we hauled our recycling to collection centers. Throwing shit away just isn't done.

On the plus side there are now composting trash bins on some of the streets...I thought that was kinda cool

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:05 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Samara wrote:

I think most of the big apartment buildings have one spot for recycling, but not on each floor.

Within the law school there are pretty widely available recycling options.

Samara

Postby Samara » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:06 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Samara wrote:

Yeah, it's pretty depressing. In college, I lived near a collection center, so I would take it there myself. That was your only option if you wanted to recycle and didn't live in a house.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:09 pm

bdubs wrote:I think most of the big apartment buildings have one spot for recycling, but not on each floor.
I don't mind that. I'm used to carrying mine downstairs and across the parking lot to the collection bins in my condo complex. As long as it's in the building!

bdubs wrote:Within the law school there are pretty widely available recycling options.
Thank goodness! Last year at ASW I carried a coke can around the city for like 3 hours until I got back to campus, because it was the first place I saw a place to recycle it! :P

Postby 09042014 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:10 pm

Chicago used to have a stupid recycling system where you put the recycling in the garbage but inside a blue bag. It was a huge failure.

LakeShore Plaza has a button on the garbage shoot that says if you push it, it goes to cycling. But I'm 70% sure it does nothing.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:12 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Chicago used to have a stupid recycling system where you put the recycling in the garbage but inside a blue bag. It was a huge failure.

LakeShore Plaza has a button on the garbage shoot that says if you push it, it goes to cycling. But I'm 70% sure it does nothing.
lol. Would it be really strange if I asked to see where the chutes come out in the basement before agreeing to sign a lease?

Postby 09042014 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:14 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Chicago used to have a stupid recycling system where you put the recycling in the garbage but inside a blue bag. It was a huge failure.

lol. Would it be really strange if I asked to see where the chutes come out in the basement before agreeing to sign a lease?

They take crack addicts so it's probably kosher to ask.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:10 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:

My building has recycling cans out front next to the trash cans, but I live in a 3 story 6 unit gig, so that might have something to do with it.

Samara

Postby Samara » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:30 pm

So...I've been soaking up information on biglaw employment/OCI. Come to find out, pretty much everything on my resume is a flight risk red flag for biglaw. (At least, according to that V15 guy in the employment forum.) It's not exactly hippie PI stuff, but it sounds like it's close enough. I thought my several years of WE would be helpful for OCI, but now I'm not so sure.

Are there things I can do to demonstrate my interest in biglaw during 1L? Law review seems pretty important, so I could gun for that. And obviously, getting a corporate 1L summer job. But both of those things seem hard to get. Are there other things I can try to do? Or is this not as big of a problem as I am making it out to be?

On an unrelated note, I've seen some people talk about being a research assistant during the school year. I assume that's something you do in 2L or 3L? Is it hard to get? Is it helpful at all for biglaw?

TYIA You guys are awesome.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:34 pm

Samara wrote:So...I've been soaking up information on biglaw employment/OCI. Come to find out, pretty much everything on my resume is a flight risk red flag for biglaw. (At least, according to that V15 guy in the employment forum.) It's not exactly hippie PI stuff, but it sounds like it's close enough. I thought my several years of WE would be helpful for OCI, but now I'm not so sure.

Are there things I can do to demonstrate my interest in biglaw during 1L? Law review seems pretty important, so I could gun for that. And obviously, getting a corporate 1L summer job. But both of those things seem hard to get. Are there other things I can try to do? Or is this not as big of a problem as I am making it out to be?

On an unrelated note, I've seen some people talk about being a research assistant during the school year. I assume that's something you do in 2L or 3L? Is it hard to get? Is it helpful at all for biglaw?

I thought (and do correct me if I'm wrong, People Who Actually Know WTF They're Talking About) that while a history of PI work was important for getting a post-LS PI job, the reverse was not necessarily true and biglaw didn't care so much.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:50 pm

Samara wrote:So...I've been soaking up information on biglaw employment/OCI. Come to find out, pretty much everything on my resume is a flight risk red flag for biglaw. (At least, according to that V15 guy in the employment forum.) It's not exactly hippie PI stuff, but it sounds like it's close enough. I thought my several years of WE would be helpful for OCI, but now I'm not so sure.

Seems to me to not significantly hinder anyone. There are many students at NU with PI type backgrounds (Peace Corps, Americorps, non profits of various sorts) these students all seem to do as well as would be expected. It seems from anecdotal evidence that "outlier" performance in recruiting happens for one of two reasons.

1) Either you do much better than one would expect because of significant and impressive WE. (this is not likely from someone with a PI type background)
2) You do much worse than would be expected, because you're awkward, obnoxious, or crazy.

You're likely to be somewhere in the middle. Work experience counts for more than just the experience you got, it also brings a certain level of maturity that K-JD doesn't usually have.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”