Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
franklyscarlet

Re: Northwestern Students Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby franklyscarlet » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:27 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
dolfan0516 wrote:So just got accepted and read the past 5 pages or so. I am pretty sure that I will be attending in the Fall, but I do have some concerns.

I am from Florida and have lived in the state my entire life. Is there anyone else here that comes from a warm environment? How were you able to deal with the cold? Any advice or opinions?

I know that at NW most students are a little older. I usually have no problem getting along with those that are older than I am, but I dont want to be the only one in my early 20's. Are there a fair amount of students in their early 20's?

Finally, my eventual career goal is sports law. I know its almost impossible to start off with a job in sports law (at least one that could pay off the massive debt) out of the gate, but was thinking about trying to work in biglaw (or at least a job where I could pay off the debt) for the first 5-10 years and then transitioning to sports after. Yes, I realize much could change in that time. But is this idea even possible? Is it a dumb dream/plan to have?

thanks for your help

I know I'm not a current student, but I wanted to say that I'll be coming from a warm environment (SW) and I'm 22. So, we can be buddies! (:

I guess I'm officially mid-twenties now, but I'm coming from the land of warmth :)

cactuarX3

Postby cactuarX3 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:40 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:
dolfan0516 wrote:So just got accepted and read the past 5 pages or so. I am pretty sure that I will be attending in the Fall, but I do have some concerns.

I am from Florida and have lived in the state my entire life. Is there anyone else here that comes from a warm environment? How were you able to deal with the cold? Any advice or opinions?

I know that at NW most students are a little older. I usually have no problem getting along with those that are older than I am, but I dont want to be the only one in my early 20's. Are there a fair amount of students in their early 20's?

Finally, my eventual career goal is sports law. I know its almost impossible to start off with a job in sports law (at least one that could pay off the massive debt) out of the gate, but was thinking about trying to work in biglaw (or at least a job where I could pay off the debt) for the first 5-10 years and then transitioning to sports after. Yes, I realize much could change in that time. But is this idea even possible? Is it a dumb dream/plan to have?

thanks for your help

I know I'm not a current student, but I wanted to say that I'll be coming from a warm environment (SW) and I'm 22. So, we can be buddies! (:

I guess I'm officially mid-twenties now, but I'm coming from the land of warmth :)

Also from a land of relative warmth (norcal), so my wardrobe will probably need some "enhancement" if I should attend NU...

tdicks

Postby tdicks » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:13 am

I've also only ever lived in relatively warm places (snow 0-3 times a year). I was curious about heating? Which kind is the best (electric/radiator/whatever other options there are) and how much it costs to keep an apartment warm in the winter if heat isn't included? My electric bill here in China runs from about 50 bucks in the fall/spring to 150 in the summer/winter (with a roommate who's never turned a light off before leaving in her life). Is that normal? Ive never paid utilities in the States... Any info would be much appreciated!

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:16 am

tdicks wrote:I've also only ever lived in relatively warm places (snow 0-3 times a year). I was curious about heating? Which kind is the best (electric/radiator/whatever other options there are) and how much it costs to keep an apartment warm in the winter if heat isn't included? My electric bill here in China runs from about 50 bucks in the fall/spring to 150 in the summer/winter (with a roommate who's never turned a light off before leaving in her life). Is that normal? Ive never paid utilities in the States... Any info would be much appreciated!

You're not going to get a choice for the kind of heating the apartment you get has. It will have whatever the landlord has installed in it. I pay about 40 for gas during the winter (heater is gas-powered) and about 40 for electricity year round (my apartment doesn't ever get direct sunlight so it rarely needs to be cooled during the summer).

Postby 09042014 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:18 am

tdicks wrote:I've also only ever lived in relatively warm places (snow 0-3 times a year). I was curious about heating? Which kind is the best (electric/radiator/whatever other options there are) and how much it costs to keep an apartment warm in the winter if heat isn't included? My electric bill here in China runs from about 50 bucks in the fall/spring to 150 in the summer/winter (with a roommate who's never turned a light off before leaving in her life). Is that normal? Ive never paid utilities in the States... Any info would be much appreciated!

Electric sucks and is expensive. I pay from about 80 a month for electricity in teh winter heating a small studio in an high rise.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:20 am

Lots of larger apartment buildings in and around Streeterville use a central heating and cooling system. It's great that you don't have to pay a separate bill for heat/ac but you are at the whim of the building as to when the system gets turned over from heat to cold (it wasn't bad in my building this fall though)

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:41 am

Desert Fox wrote:Winter never came this winter. It was like Fall the whole time.

It was some bullshit is what it was. You could have gotten through this winter with a light jacket.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:55 am

Desert Fox wrote:Winter never came this winter. It was like Fall the whole time.

don't jinx it, march and even april could still be hell. the key is to not draw any attention and just pretend everything is normal.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:48 pm

This thread made me want to ask a quick question, but I didn't want to intrude on the employment forum as an 0L so I'm asking it here -

If you have strong ties to both LA and SF (family, school, living there all your life, etc) but you don't work there 1L summer, does that make it harder to return for OCI/post-grad? Obviously grades are unknown, but let's assume around median.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:18 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:This thread made me want to ask a quick question, but I didn't want to intrude on the employment forum as an 0L so I'm asking it here -

If you have strong ties to both LA and SF (family, school, living there all your life, etc) but you don't work there 1L summer, does that make it harder to return for OCI/post-grad? Obviously grades are unknown, but let's assume around median.

Nah. You are set for ties. NBD.

Samara

Postby Samara » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:28 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:This thread made me want to ask a quick question, but I didn't want to intrude on the employment forum as an 0L so I'm asking it here -

On a related note, I am basically down to choosing between WUSTL with $$ and NU. I know 100% I want to work in Chicago. I (think?) I have decent to strong Chicago ties. If I chose WUSTL, would I have to spend 1L and/or 2L in Chicago to have a decent chance at biglaw? Are there other benefits to NU's Chicago location?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:34 pm

Samara wrote:On a related note, I am basically down to choosing between WUSTL with $$ and NU. I know 100% I want to work in Chicago. I (think?) I have decent to strong Chicago ties. If I chose WUSTL, would I have to spend 1L and/or 2L in Chicago to have a decent chance at biglaw? Are there other benefits to NU's Chicago location?

You would have to spend 2L in Chicago (since that's how biglaw SA programs work), but as for 1L I imagine if your ties are sufficient prior to law school then you'll be fine (though, I would aim to summer in Chicago since it can't hurt). You can also intern in Chicago during the school year (judges/USAO/othergovagencies/etc).

I don't think it's your ties that will hurt you but rather WUSTL's lack of prestige. If you really want Chicago (and especially if you want biglaw), I'd lean towards NU. Granted it is quite a risk.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:35 pm

Samara wrote:

On a related note, I am basically down to choosing between WUSTL with $$ and NU. I know 100% I want to work in Chicago. I (think?) I have decent to strong Chicago ties. If I chose WUSTL, would I have to spend 1L and/or 2L in Chicago to have a decent chance at biglaw? Are there other benefits to NU's Chicago location?

I think there are other benefits in terms of externing and networking during the school year, beyond 1L. I know someone who is working for a GC at a local major corp as a 2L and some people work for firms during the term (both for money); tons of people work for judges, tons of people work for the big fed agencies, and local PI stuff (for credit). i know someone else who's volunteering for a pro bono org their firm is really involved with (and therefore getting to know partners at their firm better now, as a 2L). if i were staying in Chi, that's all stuff i'd want to be doing.

Samara

Postby Samara » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:36 pm

Cool, thanks you two! To further complicate WUSTL, my wife would have a hard time with employment if we had to go back to Chicago for the summer. I've been thinking hard about the substantial debt differences. Northwestern is the school I want to attend, but of course I need to make sure it makes a reasonable amount of sense.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:40 pm

Samara wrote:Cool, thanks you two! To further complicate WUSTL, my wife would have a hard time with employment if we had to go back to Chicago for the summer.

If you went to WUSTL, why wouldn't she just stay working St. Louis while you were in Chicago each summer?

Postby 09042014 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:17 pm

bk1 wrote:
Samara wrote:Cool, thanks you two! To further complicate WUSTL, my wife would have a hard time with employment if we had to go back to Chicago for the summer.

If you went to WUSTL, why wouldn't she just stay working St. Louis while you were in Chicago each summer?

Leave her in the same city as Romosavior? Risky.

Samara

Postby Samara » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:37 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
bk1 wrote:

Haha, that would be an option, but then we'd be apart for a while and be maintaining two residences, reducing the financial advantage. Either way, it's a ding against WUSTL.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:43 pm

Samara wrote:Haha, that would be an option, but then we'd be apart for a while and be maintaining two residences, reducing the financial advantage. Either way, it's a ding against WUSTL.

If you have a big lawl SA paying rent at two places will be no issue. Either way I've heard the path from WUSTL to Chicago is tough

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:26 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
bk1 wrote:

Better than bringing her to a city with most of BP.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:48 pm

Any advice re: taking SFPIF money or getting credit for a summer job? I'm looking for the 2 things I can apply to so that I can be eligible for SFPIF and outside of the Stevens Fellowship at school, I don't see many that allow for government jobs, most seem to be non-profit, ngos, etc. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:03 pm

Take a job for credit. Takes stress off you your 2L year, you get money to live on, and the class is a guaranteed GPA booster.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:15 pm

bjsesq wrote:Take a job for credit. Takes stress off you your 2L year, you get money to live on, and the class is a guaranteed GPA booster.

That's what I was thinking. Thanks.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:40 am

Flips88 wrote:
bjsesq wrote:Take a job for credit. Takes stress off you your 2L year, you get money to live on, and the class is a guaranteed GPA booster.

But if you take that route, know that you won't get your loan money until the end of June.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:44 am

Holly Golightly wrote:
Flips88 wrote:

But if you take that route, know that you won't get your loan money until the end of June.

I should be able to make it if necessary, but that seems pretty lame.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:16 pm

The Illinois C&F forms are a huge pain in the ass. Is it worth it to go through the hassle now, or is the $350 not really a big deal (i.e. firms cover it anyway)?
Last edited by bdubs on Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”