Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
crumpetsandtea

Re: Northwestern Students Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby crumpetsandtea » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:02 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Yea, unless you have credit issues, you get the full amount. Be prepared to dip into savings if you want to live downtown. It's nearly impossible to afford the rent unless you live like a poor college student.

Damn. How many of y'all live downtown? Is the closeness to school worth the higher rent price (particularly in wintertime)? Does anyone live with a roommate, and if so would you recommend it?

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:25 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Yea, unless you have credit issues, you get the full amount. Be prepared to dip into savings if you want to live downtown. It's nearly impossible to afford the rent unless you live like a poor college student.

Damn. How many of y'all live downtown? Is the closeness to school worth the higher rent price (particularly in wintertime)? Does anyone live with a roommate, and if so would you recommend it?

I didn't live by school 1L and I do 2L. There are definite advantages to both. I don't like Streeterville and I think it is absurdly overpriced, but especially during finals it is nice to live so close to school. A lot of people have roommates, and if you're a person who likes having roommates, then go for it. I just prefer to live alone.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:29 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:

I live up in Lakeview East. I walk to the end of my block and catch a bus that jumps immediately on Lakeshore Drive and then I'm off at the second stop. Typically it'll take me 20-25 mins to get to school depending on how well I time getting to the bus stop. My rent is about $400-500 cheaper per month than it would be if I lived in Streeterville alone. The proximity to campus isn't much of a problem, but it is a little tough when all your friends live down there or coming back late at night since I have to take the Red Line instead of a bus. I'll likely try to move closer to school next year, but my girlfriend should be moving in with me so splitting rent should make it easier to get a better place without raising how much I pay now.

Samara

Postby Samara » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:50 am

Even with the full loan amount plus a full-time salary? River North looks the most promising so far because it's a little cheaper, still easy to get to campus, and got a lot of high ratings in the SBA survey.

1L summer seems to be the tough part because people usually get unpaid internships then, correct?

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:52 am

Samara wrote:

Even with the full loan amount plus a full-time salary? River North looks the most promising so far because it's a little cheaper, still easy to get to campus, and got a lot of high ratings in the SBA survey.

1L summer seems to be the tough part because people usually get unpaid internships then, correct?

I live in West Town (15 minutes directly west of campus on Chicago), and I pay $725 for half of a nice 2br/2ba. I took out the full loan amount then budgeted it to spread over twelve months instead of nine. So far, I've had extra money each month, and I don't live like a poor college student. That said, I do cook for almost every meal and only go out twice a week or so, which is a big difference from many of my friends at school, most of whom purchase lunch either at Harry's or somewhere in Streeterville everyday.

Samara

Postby Samara » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:07 am

Eugenie Danglars wrote:
Samara wrote:

I live in West Town (15 minutes directly west of campus on Chicago), and I pay $725 for half of a nice 2br/2ba. I took out the full loan amount then budgeted it to spread over twelve months instead of nine. So far, I've had extra money each month, and I don't live like a poor college student. That said, I do cook for almost every meal and only go out twice a week or so, which is a big difference from many of my friends at school, most of whom purchase lunch either at Harry's or somewhere in Streeterville everyday.

Ugh, we're going to be looking at probably $1200/month, at least. Making my own lunch/cooking is no problem; I just want to not have to order Old Style every time I go out and be able to get decent stuff when I need it. I'm hoping that if I put the work into it, I can find a good deal on a decent apartment that is fairly close.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:11 am

Samara wrote:Ugh, we're going to be looking at probably $1200/month, at least. Making my own lunch/cooking is no problem; I just want to not have to order Old Style every time I go out and be able to get decent stuff when I need it. I'm hoping that if I put the work into it, I can find a good deal on a decent apartment that is fairly close.

How many br/people do you have?

Samara

Postby Samara » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:22 am

Eugenie Danglars wrote:
Samara wrote:Ugh, we're going to be looking at probably $1200/month, at least. Making my own lunch/cooking is no problem; I just want to not have to order Old Style every time I go out and be able to get decent stuff when I need it. I'm hoping that if I put the work into it, I can find a good deal on a decent apartment that is fairly close.

Just my wife and I, so just one bedroom. At first glance, that seems to be $1200/month for a decent place.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:40 am

Samara wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:

Just my wife and I, so just one bedroom. At first glance, that seems to be $1200/month for a decent place.

Hmm...I'd say you can do $900 for a 1br in WestTown or somewhere up the red line. Especially on the red line, once you're not in walking distance of school, there's no harm in being one train stop farther, and there are some decent places to be had.

I'll keep my ears out for all of you- I know quite a few folks who are moving come summer.

Samara

Postby Samara » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:45 am

Eugenie Danglars wrote:
Samara wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:

Hmm...I'd say you can do $900 for a 1br in WestTown or somewhere up the red line. Especially on the red line, once you're not in walking distance of school, there's no harm in being one train stop farther, and there are some decent places to be had.

I'll keep my ears out for all of you- I know quite a few folks who are moving come summer.

Thanks! I think I just need to draw up a budget, decide some priorities, and come up with a number for rent.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:25 pm

Samara, I was looking at River North too! I was really hoping to live somewhere I could walk to school, but most places seem to be a 10-15 min bike ride so I guess it's not too bad. What about Lincoln Park? It seemed like it was a little cheaper than River North.yy

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:33 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:Samara, I was looking at River North too! I was really hoping to live somewhere I could walk to school, but most places seem to be a 10-15 min bike ride so I guess it's not too bad. What about Lincoln Park? It seemed like it was a little cheaper than River North.yy

Just some examples:

A friend lives in this building.

If you're willing to have a longer commute (and I have a few classmates who live in this neighborhood and swear it's worth the extra time on the red line), you can get a lot for your money. roger's park (LinkRemoved)

So, you can totally make it work on a budget :-)

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:35 pm

If a salary and loans and only a 1 bed, you'll be fine. Usually it's Expensive rent / not cooking yourself / big bar tabs / expensive hobbies or clothes : pick only two.

Samara

Postby Samara » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:48 pm

Desert Fox wrote:If a salary and loans and only a 1 bed, you'll be fine. Usually it's Expensive rent / not cooking yourself / big bar tabs / expensive hobbies or clothes : pick only two.

Cool. I can handle that. Will probably pick rent and going out (alternating between food and drinks). Living in a tiny, crappy apartment is the one thing I don't want to have to do again.

Samara

Postby Samara » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:50 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:Samara, I was looking at River North too! I was really hoping to live somewhere I could walk to school, but most places seem to be a 10-15 min bike ride so I guess it's not too bad. What about Lincoln Park? It seemed like it was a little cheaper than River North.yy

The advantage of River North for us is that her job is in that area. Padmapper shows some decent-looking places that are steps from the 66 bus, which runs right over to campus. Lincoln Park is definitely on the table, though. West Loop seemed good too, though it looks more difficult to get to campus. Do you live on the 66 bus route, Eugenie?

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:54 pm

Samara wrote:

The advantage of River North for us is that her job is in that area. Padmapper shows some decent-looking places that are steps from the 66 bus, which runs right over to campus. Lincoln Park is definitely on the table, though. West Loop seemed good too, though it looks more difficult to get to campus. Do you live on the 66 bus route, Eugenie?

Yes, I do, and it's just fine. The buses come very frequently during rushes (every 1-3 minutes during the busiest stretches), and every 10-15 minutes during nighttime/off periods. I also live just west of the Blue line swap, so I get a seat the whole way there 95% of the time. :-)

Samara

Postby Samara » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:59 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:
Samara wrote:

Yes, I do, and it's just fine. The buses come very frequently during rushes (every 1-3 minutes during the busiest stretches), and every 10-15 minutes during nighttime/off periods. I also live just west of the Blue line swap, so I get a seat the whole way there 95% of the time. :-)

Nice. My wife rides the Blue Line to the 66 to get to work, so you probably take her seat. :P West Loop got high marks in the SBA survey, but only on two respondents. Will definitely look at that area though.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:09 pm

Samara wrote:Nice. My wife rides the Blue Line to the 66 to get to work, so you probably take her seat. :P West Loop got high marks in the SBA survey, but only on two respondents. Will definitely look at that area though.

Well, she can always sit on my lap.

Not clear from your phrasing, but just in case, I don't live in West loop, but rather West Town/Noble Square. It would be kind of hard to get to campus from some places in the West loop, I'd think...

R1chardParker

Postby R1chardParker » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:15 pm

How do you like West Town/Noble Square? Doing research on apartments from afar, it seems like a much more affordable area than Streeterville with an easy? commute on the 66. What has been your experience there and would you recommend the area to a 1L moving to Chicago with a S/O that will be looking for work/does not know yet where that work will be? Thank you!

Samara

Postby Samara » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:19 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:
Samara wrote:Nice. My wife rides the Blue Line to the 66 to get to work, so you probably take her seat. :P West Loop got high marks in the SBA survey, but only on two respondents. Will definitely look at that area though.

Well, she can always sit on my lap.

Not clear from your phrasing, but just in case, I don't live in West loop, but rather West Town/Noble Square. It would be kind of hard to get to campus from some places in the West loop, I'd think...

Right, sorry, that was poor wording. I will look at West Town, probably not West Loop because transportation seems difficult.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:22 pm

ncterp wrote:How do you like West Town/Noble Square? Doing research on apartments from afar, it seems like a much more affordable area than Streeterville with an easy? commute on the 66. What has been your experience there and would you recommend the area to a 1L moving to Chicago with a S/O that will be looking for work/does not know yet where that work will be? Thank you!

I think it's a GREAT neighborhood. It's just south of yuppie-ville (Wicker Park), and it has a good mix of income levels and backgrounds of people (which I like). If you will be bothered by bodegas that hang signs in Spanish, it might not be for you. If you love cheap tacos, you'll be in heaven. I'm seven minutes or two quick bus stops from a Dominick's, and 10 minutes/4 stops from a Jewel and the blue line. Access to transportation is great, and it's a fun place to explore. There's nothing about the area that I really dislike, and I love paying half the price for twice the space compared to places I've seen in Streeterville.

As for your SO, it's pretty easy to get downtown via the blue line, and it's generally easy to get to other transport lines/hubs via bus. Since you have no idea where he/she will be working, it's hard to say, but unless it's really far, commute shouldn't be too bad for him/her. :-)

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:22 pm

ncterp wrote:How do you like West Town/Noble Square? Doing research on apartments from afar, it seems like a much more affordable area than Streeterville with an easy? commute on the 66. What has been your experience there and would you recommend the area to a 1L moving to Chicago with a S/O that will be looking for work/does not know yet where that work will be? Thank you!

I think it's a GREAT neighborhood. It's just south of yuppie-ville (Wicker Park), and it has a good mix of income levels and backgrounds of people (which I like). If you will be bothered by bodegas that hang signs in Spanish, it might not be for you. If you love cheap tacos, you'll be in heaven. I'm seven minutes or two quick bus stops from a Dominick's, and 10 minutes/4 stops from a Jewel and the blue line. Access to transportation is great, and it's a fun place to explore. There's nothing about the area that I really dislike, and I love paying half the price for twice the space compared to places I've seen in Streeterville.

As for your SO, it's pretty easy to get downtown via the blue line, and it's generally easy to get to other transport lines/hubs via bus. Since you have no idea where he/she will be working, it's hard to say, but unless it's really far, commute shouldn't be too bad for him/her. :-)

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:35 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:It's just south of yuppie-ville (Wicker Park)

god i hate wicker park

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:47 pm

traehekat wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:It's just south of yuppie-ville (Wicker Park)

god i hate wicker park

Lol. Parts of it are sort of fun, but most of it is icky and pretentious.

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:52 pm

Scenario: I am in the bottom half of my class at NU. What are my options like?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”