Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Holly Golightly

Re: Northwestern Students Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Holly Golightly » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:06 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:
rayiner wrote:
bk1 wrote:2L's/3L's: recommendations for elective classes and/or profs?

Profs: Ezra Friedman, Tonja Jacobi, Michael Barsa, Shari Diamond, Jim Speta, Jim Speta, Jim Speta.

Classes: Admin, Natural Resources/Enviro Law, Trademarks, Telecom.

Ew, Admin blows. (I think. I never actually attend or read for that class.)

Holy shit I forgot im in that class.

I'm gonna go tomorrow for the first time in several weeks.

...and by "tomorrow," I of course mean "Thursday." I know what day of the week it is...

Postby 09042014 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:21 pm

Transferthrowaway wrote:Does Northwestern not post past exam answers along with the past exams?

EDIT: Also just saw that I can't access the exams without login credentials. Would anyone be willing to send me a professor's posted old exams?

Some profs do, some don't. PM me with the name of the prof.

Transferthrowaway

Postby Transferthrowaway » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:46 pm

Last edited by Transferthrowaway on Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:32 pm

Trying to put together class schedule for next semester. I probably have to take a 15-16 credits since I'm taking like 2 this semester. I'm not loving seminars and I would prefer to just have classes that have an exam at the end, but I worry about killing myself taking 5 classes with 5 exams.

Admin
Antitrust/FedJur/Tax
Sec Reg
IP/Crim Pro
Bankruptcy
Secured Transactions
Corp Fin

Is there any combination of 5 classes there that would not result in me /self?

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:52 pm

traehekat wrote:Trying to put together class schedule for next semester. I probably have to take a 15-16 credits since I'm taking like 2 this semester. I'm not loving seminars and I would prefer to just have classes that have an exam at the end, but I worry about killing myself taking 5 classes with 5 exams.

Admin
Antitrust/FedJur/Tax
Sec Reg
IP/Crim Pro
Bankruptcy
Secured Transactions
Corp Fin

Do you like going to bar review, because if so, Secured Transactions is not a good idea. That being said, I'll probably take it.

Sec Reg is a bear, but it'd be good to take if you want to do corporate. Tax is good to have especially since it's a pre-req for so many classes if you are a 2L (meaning if you are taking classes next year). Corp Finance's professor is supposed to be awesome. Admin is supposed to be a lot of work, but I've heard good things about Speta. Why not take 3 or 4 of the above and then take something easy?

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:13 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:
traehekat wrote:Trying to put together class schedule for next semester. I probably have to take a 15-16 credits since I'm taking like 2 this semester. I'm not loving seminars and I would prefer to just have classes that have an exam at the end, but I worry about killing myself taking 5 classes with 5 exams.

Admin
Antitrust/FedJur/Tax
Sec Reg
IP/Crim Pro
Bankruptcy
Secured Transactions
Corp Fin

Do you like going to bar review, because if so, Secured Transactions is not a good idea. That being said, I'll probably take it.

Sec Reg is a bear, but it'd be good to take if you want to do corporate. Tax is good to have especially since it's a pre-req for so many classes if you are a 2L (meaning if you are taking classes next year). Corp Finance's professor is supposed to be awesome. Admin is supposed to be a lot of work, but I've heard good things about Speta. Why not take 3 or 4 of the above and then take something easy?

Yeah, thought about that. Any suggestions?

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:45 pm

traehekat wrote:
Sauer Grapes wrote:

Admin
Antitrust/FedJur/Tax
Sec Reg
IP/Crim Pro
Bankruptcy
Secured Transactions
Corp Fin

Yeah, thought about that. Any suggestions?

People like Francis. I'm bidding on it. In the past it hasn't had more than 40 students, so I'm hoping it won't be curved. This means that I have the motive to discourage you from bidding on it. :-) Anyway, the time of the class sucks, but I need something to start getting me up at a normal hour. This no class until 11 thing isn't good for my sleeping pattern.

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:28 pm

Admin
Antitrust/FedJur/Tax
Sec Reg
IP/Crim Pro
Bankruptcy
Secured Transactions
Corp Fin

I would take at most 2 of Admin, Antitrust, FedJur, Tax, and Sec Reg. Probably add secured transaction and Crim Pro to that as well but not sure what kind of time commitment they are. You are basically listing off what are generally considered to be the most difficult classes you can take in law school.

There are plenty of other classes with issue spotter exams that aren't going to overwhelm you with reading and tough concepts. Maybe look at environmental law, 14th amendment, 1st amendment, maybe evidence. I think IP and corporate finance probably fit that bill as well.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:30 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote: This no class until 11 4 p.m. thing isn't good brilliant for my sleeping pattern.

ftfm

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:37 am

Admin
Antitrust/FedJur/Tax
Sec Reg
IP/Crim Pro
Bankruptcy
Secured Transactions
Corp Fin

5 classes with 5 exams is pretty retarded. Especially of the Admin/Antitrust/Sec Reg/Con Crim Pro variety.

I'd at make at least one of the classes a Clinic, or consider an intercession course to make up credits.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:46 am

D-hops wrote:

Admin
Antitrust/FedJur/Tax
Sec Reg
IP/Crim Pro
Bankruptcy
Secured Transactions
Corp Fin

I would take at most 2 of Admin, Antitrust, FedJur, Tax, and Sec Reg. Probably add secured transaction and Crim Pro to that as well but not sure what kind of time commitment they are. You are basically listing off what are generally considered to be the most difficult classes you can take in law school.

There are plenty of other classes with issue spotter exams that aren't going to overwhelm you with reading and tough concepts. Maybe look at environmental law, 14th amendment, 1st amendment, maybe evidence. I think IP and corporate finance probably fit that bill as well.

I've found two gunner classes + one non-gunner class (trusts and estates, IP, trademarks) + one seminar + clinic to be a good mix.

Also a note about environmental law: I found it to be more challenging than Admin. Admin is a typical law school class--every case has one rule, etc. The Admin book (Lawson) is very clear. Environmental law requires you to tackle very opaque cases within a confusing statutory framework. And Barsa's exams will test you on the details of the statutory provisions. I loved the class, but it's definitely a time commitment.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:32 pm

how much work is ethics?

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:40 pm

traehekat wrote:how much work is ethics?

LOL. Not much.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:41 pm

So I got my bid results, and go into:

American Legal History w/ Presser
Civ Pro II w/ Reddish
Narrative Structures w/Lubet

Any suggestions on which two I should keep or if I made a complete mistake with all three. I haven't been here in awhile.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:14 pm

Icculus wrote:So I got my bid results, and go into:

Civ Pro II w/ Reddish

Any suggestions on which two I should keep or if I made a complete mistake with all three. I haven't been here in awhile.

I'm in Civ Pro II, too...

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:28 pm

Civ Pro II w/ Reddish

I'll see you in history

Anybody else doing evidence? Or is it basically going to be a seminar for me?

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:30 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:

Civ Pro II w/ Reddish

I'm in Civ Pro II, too...

Eugenie, I'll see you there.

I think I'm going to keep Civ Pro II and history. I've heard good things about Reddish and Presser seems to have decent reviews.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:38 pm

homestyle28 wrote:

Civ Pro II w/ Reddish

I'll see you in history

Which time? I'm waiting to see the bidding results spreadsheet before committing myself to anything.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:44 pm

bdubs wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:

Civ Pro II w/ Reddish

I'll see you in history

Which time? I'm waiting to see the bidding results spreadsheet before committing myself to anything.

Section 2 2-3:30 thurs & fri

Postby 09042014 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:09 pm

homestyle28 wrote:

Civ Pro II w/ Reddish

I'll see you in history

I'm in the late one.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:56 am

Anyone have any comments on Presser, Lubet of Reddish? good, bad, indifferent?

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:04 am

Icculus wrote:Anyone have any comments on Presser, Lubet of Reddish? good, bad, indifferent?

Rumors:

Presser assigns an insane amount of reading for American Legal History, but not all of it is tested on the exam.
Reddish teaches based on his opinion, so paying attention to him in class is important.

Nothing to report on Lubet... yet.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:56 am

bdubs wrote:
Icculus wrote:Anyone have any comments on Presser, Lubet of Reddish? good, bad, indifferent?

Presser assigns an insane amount of reading for American Legal History

Fuck

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:31 pm

Asked this in 2014 but thought id ask it here too:

I'm assuming its not a big deal, but do any of the 2Ls know if it is "bad" to only take 13.5 hrs? Corporations is only 2.5 and that plus having a class called "narrative structures" (to fulfill the perspective requirement) could possibly come off as a weak-sounding schedule. Does that at all matter OCI wise or is it all about GPA?

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:35 pm

splitmuch wrote:Asked this in 2014 but thought id ask it here too:

I'm assuming its not a big deal, but do any of the 2Ls know if it is "bad" to only take 13.5 hrs? Corporations is only 2.5 and that plus having a class called "narrative structures" (to fulfill the perspective requirement) could possibly come off as a weak-sounding schedule. Does that at all matter OCI wise or is it all about GPA?

I got you over there, but might as well boost my post count:

d-hops wrote:It doesn't matter other than the fact that you will have to make up 0.5 credits at some point in the next two years. Hell, I am taking 12 credits right now so I have to make up two credits over the next three semesters. Firms care about GPA. You will probably get more questions about what classes you are taking 1st semester of 2L than about the decision to take certain electives 1L year.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”