Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
bk1

Re: Northwestern Students Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby bk1 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:16 pm

Samara wrote:Anyone here have any NU admissions interview tips? Any unexpected questions they were asked? How does the admissions interview compare to a job interview?

I had mine on campus with an adcomm and like DF said prepare for it like a business interview. I felt like mine sucked because I think my interviewer was slightly awkward reading off rote questions. As for questions, it was literally every stock interview question you can imagine:

Tell me about job A
Tell me about job B
Tell me about job C
Why did you choose your undergrad
Why did you choose your major
Why NU
Why law
Tell me about a time you faced adversity
Tell me about your GPA (I am a supersplitter and when you go there they have you write down your GPA/LSAT and what areas of law you are interested in)
Why are you interested in X type of law
Tell me an instance where you showed leadership
Etc etc

To be honest it really fucking sucked for me because it just felt so forced. They are all given a handbook on how to interview applicants and I feel like my interviewer didn't deviate in the slightest from a predefined script.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:17 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Yea on campus with a 2L.

Did you apply ED? Are all the ED candidates interviewed by current students? If so, I would like to try and get a TLSer to interview me prease. We could just chill and talk about nerdy TLS megathreads and mutual internet friends we have. :lol:

I doubt all ED candidates are interviewed by current students since you go through the same signup process for an on campus interview and I got an adcomm.

Samara

Postby Samara » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:29 pm

bk1 wrote:
Samara wrote:Anyone here have any NU admissions interview tips? Any unexpected questions they were asked? How does the admissions interview compare to a job interview?

I had mine on campus with an adcomm and like DF said prepare for it like a business interview. I felt like mine sucked because I think my interviewer was slightly awkward reading off rote questions. As for questions, it was literally every stock interview question you can imagine:

Tell me about job A
Tell me about job B
Tell me about job C
Why NU
Why law
Tell me about your GPA (I am a supersplitter and when you go there they have you write down your GPA/LSAT and what areas of law you are interested in)
Etc etc

To be honest it really fucking sucked for me because it just felt so forced. They are all given a handbook on how to interview applicants and I feel like my interviewer didn't deviate in the slightest from a predefined script.

That's good to know. I also dislike rote interviews, so I feel for you. Like you said, they're always so forced, which is more likely to just make my brain lock up.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:31 pm

Samara wrote:
bk1 wrote:

Tell me about job A
Tell me about job B
Tell me about job C
Why NU
Why law
Etc etc

That's good to know. I also dislike rote interviews, so I feel for you. Like you said, they're always so forced, which is more likely to just make my brain lock up.

Fire a question back at them during your answer to get them off script. Works for me.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:32 pm

splitmuch wrote:
robotclubmember wrote:
splitmuch wrote:
Nola wrote:One serious answer? I guess Northwestern's claim of a mature student body is a little off.

Can anybody clarify what size would be too small?

I call not friends with you when we get to school.

90% of the people at NU seem like normal and reasonable people from the FB page, but there's always the occasional crazy who tries to bring it back to high school all over again by making fun of the guy who writes in caps or plays bridge or writing stuff like "don't feel like such a smrtjenius now, do ya!" the stuff that no one wants to touch lol. or the people calling "not friends." i hope it's just the same dude or something and isn't representative of an actual bloc of people at NU. god bless ya though, i always assume everyone is a little crazier online and more mild-mannered in person.

question for current NU students: estimate the % of student body with aspergers plz :)

hahaha wow i just got internet (and i guess in person becuase this is completely self-outing) called out. Im really just a smart-ass and i guess tone doesn't always transfer too well over the internet. For the record, I defended the bridge guy and stand by my firm conviction that anyone who chooses an email address of "smrtjenius" deserves to be mocked. Anyway, keep this up and you can probably guilt me into buy you a drink at a TLS meetup. (I like gin too! maybe we can get along!)

And uh, don't you find it a little ironic that right after complaining about some playful (if maybe slightly mean) jesting, you make an aspergers joke?

I like you.

Dany

Postby Dany » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:34 pm

I'm not an NU student, but I like to read this thread for Chicago info and I interviewed last year. While it seemed like some people got super laid-back interviewers, NU definitely sent out questions that some chose to go by. My [completely socially awkward] interviewer just ran down the list of questions in as non-conversational of a way as he possibly could.

The questions I remember are:

-What is your least favorite thing about your undergraduate coursework?
-What is the biggest/most important document you have written?
-What is the most difficult decision you have made?
-What is the most significant project you have managed?
-Tell me about the worst boss you have worked for and how you resolved issues.
-How would your professors describe you?
-Why NU?
-Why law school?
-Have you been to Chicago during the winter?

Some other questions from the interviews thread (apparently also from the list):

-Why did you choose your undergrad school?
-What would you change about your undergrad experience if you could?
-How will you define success in your career?
-How do you deal with conflict?
-Tell me about your most significant experience speaking in front of other people.
-What would you do if you didn't get into any law schools?
-If you were accepted to all of the schools how would you decide where to go?
-What was your favorite class? What was you most difficult class?
-What do you do for fun?
-What kinds of extracurricular activities were you involved in?

My interviewer just ran them off in quick succession and when I finished, would ask the next question.

Then, at the end, he asked if I had any questions for him. The question I had the most success with (of the ones I asked) was asking about his favorite class. Also, my interview was off-campus, and the guy I interviewed with was no longer in the legal field.

Edit - I ripped all of this from an old PM I sent, so I don't know where the interviews thread is and don't remember too much else about the interview.

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:36 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
splitmuch wrote:hahaha wow i just got internet (and i guess in person becuase this is completely self-outing) called out. Im really just a smart-ass and i guess tone doesn't always transfer too well over the internet. For the record, I defended the bridge guy and stand by my firm conviction that anyone who chooses an email address of "smrtjenius" deserves to be mocked. Anyway, keep this up and you can probably guilt me into buy you a drink at a TLS meetup. (I like gin too! maybe we can get along!)

And uh, don't you find it a little ironic that right after complaining about some playful (if maybe slightly mean) jesting, you make an aspergers joke?

I like you.

Only because I haven't made fun of you yet.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:39 pm

bjsesq wrote:Fire a question back at them during your answer to get them off script. Works for me.

That made my adcomm sort of awkward. She also had a habit of asking questions that didn't have anything to do with the previous question so it was easy for her to get back to her list.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:40 pm

bk1 wrote:
bjsesq wrote:Fire a question back at them during your answer to get them off script. Works for me.

That made my adcomm sort of awkward. She also had a habit of asking questions that didn't have anything to do with the previous question so it was easy for her to get back to her list.

In those sorts of interviews, just have fun. You're fucked anyway.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:40 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Yea on campus with a 2L.

Did you apply ED? Are all the ED candidates interviewed by current students? If so, I would like to try and get a TLSer to interview me prease. We could just chill and talk about nerdy TLS megathreads and mutual internet friends we have. :lol:

I didn't turn in my ED form until afterward. I think they just use students for a lot of interviews on campus. But I know some talk with the admissions people.

Don't sweat it too bad. It's basically a IRL why Northwestern test, as well making sure you aren't totally socially retarded.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:42 pm

splitmuch wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:
splitmuch wrote:hahaha wow i just got internet (and i guess in person becuase this is completely self-outing) called out. Im really just a smart-ass and i guess tone doesn't always transfer too well over the internet. For the record, I defended the bridge guy and stand by my firm conviction that anyone who chooses an email address of "smrtjenius" deserves to be mocked. Anyway, keep this up and you can probably guilt me into buy you a drink at a TLS meetup. (I like gin too! maybe we can get along!)

I like you.

Only because I haven't made fun of you yet.

Thats cute. Like there is anything about me to make fun of. (DF/bjs, don't make me kill you.)

Also, most of my friends are assholes. See: this thread.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:08 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Don't sweat it too bad. It's basically a IRL why Northwestern test, as well making sure you aren't totally socially retarded.

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:09 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Don't sweat it too bad. It's basically a IRL why Northwestern test, as well making sure you aren't totally socially retarded.

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

It's a test that me and Corsair passed. That should tell you how their standards are.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:33 pm

I swear the interview is primarily a marketing tool. If my interview didn't get me dinged, no one gets dinged

EarlCat

Postby EarlCat » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:47 am

Great LSAT + Good GPA + Not picking your butt during the interview = Admission

Seriously, dress appropriately, be friendly, and have a reason for choosing NU that's not verbatim off the website. It also doesn't hurt to show them you've done something interesting with your life. If the interviewer is reading from a script, slap them for wasting your time when they could have used Survey Monkey.

lawgod

Postby lawgod » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:52 am

IAFG wrote:I swear the interview is primarily a marketing tool. If my interview didn't get me dinged, no one gets dinged

Amen bro. I interviewed in late march, and was accepted before I had a chance to get home and write a thank you email. I reckoned they just needed an interview on the record to boost their interview percentage.
Kind of like the whole WE thing. They just need that year in McDonalds to say they've got their 98%.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:33 pm

I'm in section 1 and wanted to get all of your opinions on my fall professors:

Civ Pro - Richard Hoskins
Contracts - Robert Bennett
Property - David Cameron
Torts - Peter DiCola

Also my CLR professor is Ellen Mulaney if anyone has thoughts/comments about her.

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:15 pm

bdubs wrote:I'm in section 1 and wanted to get all of your opinions on my fall professors:

Property - David Cameron
Torts - Peter DiCola

Also my CLR professor is Ellen Mulaney if anyone has thoughts/comments about her.

Wow I had all of them except DiCola. I don't really feel like writing a ton right now, but feel free to PM me and I'll get around to it. Also, BJS might have some thoughts.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:54 pm

DiCola didn't teach torts last year but is rumored to be pretty cool.

Also, lol Bennett.

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:11 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:DiCola didn't teach torts last year but is rumored to be pretty cool.
Also, lol Bennett.

At least the poster is guaranteed not to have Bennett for Con Law. They wouldn't do that to a section, right...?

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:50 pm

Eh, I'm still convinced that someone in the administration hated my section. It could also happen to them.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:34 pm

bdubs wrote:I'm in section 1 and wanted to get all of your opinions on my fall professors:

Property - David Cameron
Torts - Peter DiCola

Hoskins- wonderful guy. I didn't do well in his class, but he is a solid prof. Know the FRCP, and make sure you understand choice of law type shit. I didn't do either of these things, and I paid for it.
Bennett- funny guy, epically bad prof. Don't bother with the UCC, know maybe some of the restatement. Cases matter.
Property- Cameron loves economic analysis, so know it. Other than that, I didn't pay a drop of attention in his classes. LtK could give you better advice.

Didn't have dicola. Having those 4 classes in one semester would make me want to kill myself. On the bright side, crim and con law in one semester would equal AWESOME. Imo, of course.

Z3RO

Postby Z3RO » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:41 pm

I've got section 3

Contracts - Eigen
Crim - Rubinowitz
Writing - Silbernagel
CivPro - Redish
Torts - Murphey

Anybody with tips or, ideally, outlines? :D

Postby 09042014 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:56 pm

Z3RO wrote:I've got section 3

Contracts - Eigen
Crim - Rubinowitz
Writing - Silbernagel
CivPro - Redish
Torts - Murphey

Eigen gives a classic issue spotter. He really does count participation.

Redish gives very similar exams each year. Definitely do his practice exams.

Silbernagel really cares about citiations. REALLY cares. Do them right.

Z3RO

Postby Z3RO » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:02 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Z3RO wrote:I've got section 3

Contracts - Eigen
Crim - Rubinowitz
Writing - Silbernagel
CivPro - Redish
Torts - Murphey

Eigen gives a classic issue spotter. He really does count participation.

Redish gives very similar exams each year. Definitely do his practice exams.

Silbernagel really cares about citiations. REALLY cares. Do them right.

Thank you, sir.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”