Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
crumpetsandtea

Re: Northwestern Students Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:32 pm

Nola wrote:Sorry but you guys kind of seem like douche bags.

u mad? so much for
Nola wrote:Thanks for the answer. Can't a guy joke around with you people?

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:33 pm

re: Nola

notsureifsrs.jpg

Nola

Postby Nola » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:39 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Nola wrote:Sorry but you guys kind of seem like douche bags.

u mad? so much for
Nola wrote:Thanks for the answer. Can't a guy joke around with you people?

Point taken. I love you guys.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:43 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:re: Nola

notsureifsrs.jpg

Trolls trolling trolls - all the way down.png

Moo_NW

Postby Moo_NW » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:04 pm

So, what exactly is Day of Public Service (Saturday, August 27th, 8:00am - 5:00pm/ Atrium) during the Orientation Week? How many people will likely be attending?

(filling out the orientation questionnaire)

..oh, and how useful are Financial Responsibility Session and Tech Training Session?

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:54 am

how light of a load are 2Ls taking? i guess we are supposed to avg 14 units/sem, so im thinking go down to 12? how low can you go, anyway?

also, do NU students not receive credit for journal participation?

robotclubmember

Postby robotclubmember » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:07 pm

splitmuch wrote:
Nola wrote:One serious answer? I guess Northwestern's claim of a mature student body is a little off.

Can anybody clarify what size would be too small?

I call not friends with you when we get to school.

90% of the people at NU seem like normal and reasonable people from the FB page, but there's always the occasional crazy who tries to bring it back to high school all over again by making fun of the guy who writes in caps or plays bridge or writing stuff like "don't feel like such a smrtjenius now, do ya!" the stuff that no one wants to touch lol. or the people calling "not friends." i hope it's just the same dude or something and isn't representative of an actual bloc of people at NU. god bless ya though, i always assume everyone is a little crazier online and more mild-mannered in person.

question for current NU students: estimate the % of student body with aspergers plz :)

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:14 pm

robotclubmember wrote:
splitmuch wrote:
Nola wrote:One serious answer? I guess Northwestern's claim of a mature student body is a little off.

90% of the people at NU seem like normal and reasonable people from the FB page, but there's always the occasional crazy who tries to bring it back to high school all over again by making fun of the guy who writes in caps or plays bridge or writing stuff like "don't feel like such a smrtjenius now, do ya!" the stuff that no one wants to touch lol. or the people calling "not friends." i hope it's just the same dude or something and isn't representative of an actual bloc of people at NU. god bless ya though, i always assume everyone is a little crazier online and more mild-mannered in person.

question for current NU students: estimate the % of student body with aspergers plz :)
People made fun of me in high school.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:16 pm

robotclubmember wrote:
splitmuch wrote:

Probably like 40%, but most of them are nice aspies.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:17 pm

robotclubmember wrote:90% of the people at NU seem like normal and reasonable people from the FB page, but there's always the occasional crazy who tries to bring it back to high school all over again by making fun of the guy who writes in caps or plays bridge or writing stuff like "don't feel like such a smrtjenius now, do ya!" the stuff that no one wants to touch lol. or the people calling "not friends." i hope it's just the same dude or something and isn't representative of an actual bloc of people at NU. god bless ya though, i always assume everyone is a little crazier online and more mild-mannered in person.

Nothing screams notaspie like mocking strangers on fb.com behind their back.

Samara

Postby Samara » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:39 pm

Anyone here have any NU admissions interview tips? Any unexpected questions they were asked? How does the admissions interview compare to a job interview?

Postby 09042014 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:08 pm

Samara wrote:Anyone here have any NU admissions interview tips? Any unexpected questions they were asked? How does the admissions interview compare to a job interview?

I had a 2L doing it, and it was a cakewalk. It was mostly a sales pitch about NU. I'd prepare like any job interview just in case, but don't freak out. I think the important part is going to one in the first place.

robotclubmember

Postby robotclubmember » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:18 pm

rayiner wrote:
robotclubmember wrote:
splitmuch wrote:

you can't be that big of a dick in person, it's just the internet talking right?

bk1 wrote:Nothing screams notaspie like mocking strangers on fb.com behind their back.

i will award you two points sir.
Last edited by robotclubmember on Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:33 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Samara wrote:Anyone here have any NU admissions interview tips? Any unexpected questions they were asked? How does the admissions interview compare to a job interview?

I had a 2L doing it, and it was a cakewalk. It was mostly a sales pitch about NU. I'd prepare like any job interview just in case, but don't freak out. I think the important part is going to one in the first place.

What sorts of questions do they ask? What's the best way to prepare?

Postby 09042014 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:35 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Mine was so easy I don't even remember.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:38 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

That's reassuring. I just don't want to fuck it up and have them be like 'lolz gtfo'

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:41 pm

robotclubmember wrote:
rayiner wrote:
robotclubmember wrote:[quote="splitmuch

you can't be that big of a dick in person, it's just the internet talking right?[/quote]

I'm actually nicer on the internet. :(

Are you so bewilderingly incoherent in person?

Samara

Postby Samara » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:51 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Hmmm...interesting. I guess that's good, haha. Less opportunity to screw it up, but also less opportunity to boost your app. Gaah, Northwestern is so weird! (In an endearing way though...)

Desert Fox, I assume yours was on-campus?

robotclubmember

Postby robotclubmember » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:53 pm

rayiner wrote:
robotclubmember wrote:
rayiner wrote:
robotclubmember wrote:[quote="splitmuch

you can't be that big of a dick in person, it's just the internet talking right?

I'm actually nicer on the internet. :(

Are you so bewilderingly incoherent in person?[/quote]

Since I've been taking the month off before law school, incoherence has increased in direct correlation to gin intake.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:58 pm

Yea on campus with a 2L.

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:58 pm

robotclubmember wrote:
splitmuch wrote:

hahaha wow i just got internet (and i guess in person becuase this is completely self-outing) called out. Im really just a smart-ass and i guess tone doesn't always transfer too well over the internet. For the record, I defended the bridge guy and stand by my firm conviction that anyone who chooses an email address of "smrtjenius" deserves to be mocked. Anyway, keep this up and you can probably guilt me into buy you a drink at a TLS meetup. (I like gin too! maybe we can get along!)

And uh, don't you find it a little ironic that right after complaining about some playful (if maybe slightly mean) jesting, you make an aspergers joke?
Last edited by splitmuch on Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:00 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Yea on campus with a 2L.

Did you apply ED? Are all the ED candidates interviewed by current students? If so, I would like to try and get a TLSer to interview me prease. We could just chill and talk about nerdy TLS megathreads and mutual internet friends we have. :lol:

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:02 pm

I actually had mine off campus with an alum and, because we both lived in the same city, found that we had a lot to talk about that made the interview go really well. Plus, I think this alum had 2 total interviews so you have a better chance to make an impression/get him or her to give a good report. Something to keep in mind if you are trying to play the interview game "strategically" though in the end i don't think it makes much of a difference in the process.

Samara

Postby Samara » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:05 pm

splitmuch wrote:

I actually had mine off campus with an alum and, because we both lived in the same city, found that we had a lot to talk about that made the interview go really well. Plus, I think this alum had 2 total interviews so you have a better chance to make an impression/get him or her to give a good report. Something to keep in mind if you are trying to play the interview game "strategically" though in the end i don't think it makes much of a difference in the process.

Well, I live in the Chicago area, so it's on-campus for me. I guess I could go super-gunner and pretend like I live in St. Louis or something... :wink:

Samara

Postby Samara » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:10 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Yea on campus with a 2L.

Did you apply ED? Are all the ED candidates interviewed by current students? If so, I would like to try and get a TLSer to interview me prease. We could just chill and talk about nerdy TLS megathreads and mutual internet friends we have. :lol:

This is relevant to my interests. TLS meetup/NW visit day? I want to visit after NW classes start, but before my grad classes start in mid-September.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”