Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Lieut Kaffee

Re: Northwestern Students Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:48 pm

D-hops wrote:
Lieut Kaffee wrote:Not everyone was as gaga for her as you were.

Didn't she win the 1L teaching award?

Believe it or not, it was contentious deciding where the S3 bloc would vote. In the end I was fine with it because she's so sweet and had (surprisingly) never won. My first choice was different.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:50 pm

D-hops wrote:

Yeah. THat had a lot to do with the section conducting a poll before hand to see who the most popular professor was amongst us. Once we did that, everyone threw their vote to her, even the ones who would have voted for someone else.

Lieut Kaffee wrote:A friend of both of ours believes she didn't challenge anyone in class. I also noticed that when someone had a question that would have taken her away from the typical political script, she would deflect or ignore it. She didn't want to analyze the actual reasoning in cases to the same extent as other (ahem, JD) law profs.

A couple of points:

1. She was kind to people, even when they were wrong. I liked her for that.
2. You thought her teaching was politically driven? She generally tried to cover both sides, even though we knew where she stood.

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:53 pm

bjsesq wrote:
D-hops wrote:

Yeah. THat had a lot to do with the section conducting a poll before hand to see who the most popular professor was amongst us. Once we did that, everyone threw their vote to her, even the ones who would have voted for someone else.

Lieut Kaffee wrote:A friend of both of ours believes she didn't challenge anyone in class. I also noticed that when someone had a question that would have taken her away from the typical political script, she would deflect or ignore it. She didn't want to analyze the actual reasoning in cases to the same extent as other (ahem, JD) law profs.

A couple of points:

1. She was kind to people, even when they were wrong. I liked her for that.
2. You thought her teaching was politically driven? She generally tried to cover both sides, even though we knew where she stood.

To clarify, I don't think she came across as annoyingly biased. My point was that, while covering both sides, her whole approach to con law was more political than it had to be. I realize SCOTUS cases are generally looked at from that perspective more than other cases (esp w/r/t privacy, etc.), but it definitely felt like my least "law-ey" law school doctrinal class, which fit with my stereotype going into it of having a non-JD prof teaching from a UG-style book.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:53 pm

Wait wait wait. Let's get back to your section conducting a poll for 1L teaching awards. Fucking gunner freaks. Let me guess, LTK kept track of the voting in an excel spreadsheet?

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:55 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:Wait wait wait. Let's get back to your section conducting a poll for 1L teaching awards. Fucking gunner freaks. Let me guess, LTK kept track of the voting in an excel spreadsheet?

No, but somebody else did. It was important to us she won, especially when the news of her departure started floating around. Sorry you had Bennett for con law, toots.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:57 pm

Lieut Kaffee wrote:To clarify, I don't think she came across as annoyingly biased. My point was that, while covering both sides, her whole approach to con law was more political than it had to be. I realize SCOTUS cases are generally looked at from that perspective more than other cases (esp w/r/t privacy, etc.), but it definitely felt like my least "law-ey" law school doctrinal class, which fit with my stereotype going into it of having a non-JD prof teaching from a UG-style book.

You hit on something when you acknowledged that she was teaching con law. Politics is inextricably bound up in the topic. Some of us thought people like Friedman, with his emphasis on economic analysis, was also taking a political stance. I still thought he was a solid proff, despite my disaste for law and econ generally.

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:03 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:Wait wait wait. Let's get back to your section conducting a poll for 1L teaching awards. Fucking gunner freaks. Let me guess, LTK kept track of the voting in an excel spreadsheet?

No, but somebody else did. It was important to us she won, especially when the news of her departure started floating around. Sorry you had Bennett for con law, toots.

You fuckers. Barsa should have won. Anyone who teaches property in the style of Christopher Walkin deserves to win a damn award.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:05 pm

D-hops wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

You fuckers. Barsa should have won. Anyone who teaches property in the style of Christopher Walkin deserves to win a damn award.

moar cow bell?

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:06 pm

bjsesq wrote:
D-hops wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

moar cow bell?

It's CRAzy!

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:09 pm

D-hops wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

That's the dude whose class I sat in on. Last day of class for the semester and I still found him entertaining.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:15 pm

Some asshole nominated my CLR prof, who was a lovely person but consistently graded at below the median all year.

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:17 pm

When S3 decides to do something together, no one else really has a chance.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:20 pm

Lieut Kaffee wrote:When S3 decides to do something together, no one else really has a chance.

Holly Golightly wrote:gunner freaks
Last edited by Holly Golightly on Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:20 pm

Lieut Kaffee wrote:When S3 decides to do something together, no one else really has a chance.

This is actually very, very true. What a cool ass group of people.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:31 pm

LOL at legal academia. The fucking research they do can be done for free. IMO students shouldn't have to subsidize legal academia. It's a huge circle jerk, and nobody reads it.

Transferthrowaway

Postby Transferthrowaway » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:49 pm

Desert Fox wrote:LOL at legal academia. The fucking research they do can be done for free. IMO students shouldn't have to subsidize legal academia. It's a huge circle jerk, and nobody reads it.

Bro, don't even try to act like a 40-page article on an originalist construction of the emoluments clause doesn't benefit society.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:52 pm

Challenge: create my fall schedule.

Corwin

Postby Corwin » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:57 pm

Desert Fox wrote:LOL at legal academia. The fucking research they do can be done for free. IMO students shouldn't have to subsidize legal academia. It's a huge circle jerk, and nobody reads it.

I've read that law school tuition is actually heavily subsiding other fields, as schools will take some of the law schools income and give it to other departments. That's an even bigger fail than subsidizing legal academia I think.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:58 pm

Corwin wrote:

I've read that law school tuition is actually heavily subsiding other fields, as schools will take some of the law schools income and give it to other departments. That's an even bigger fail than subsidizing legal academia I think.

Ha, a lot of TTT's do that. Schools like NU don't, they instead just squander incredible amount of money.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:03 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:Challenge: create my fall schedule.

• American Indian Law
  • Special Topics in International Criminal Law
  • A New World Order: the Role of the United Nations in Advancing the Rule of Law and Human Rights
  • Lawyer Memoirs
  • Admiralty Law

Thursdays and Fridays off!

edit: sorry, just remembered, DF already made 40% of this joke in the 2L thread. Wait, do you not have to take 5 classes after 1L year? Because if not thank god.

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:11 pm

Bumi wrote:

• American Indian Law
  • A New World Order: the Role of the United Nations in Advancing the Rule of Law and Human Rights
  • Lawyer Memoirs
  • Admiralty Law

edit: sorry, just remembered, DF already made 40% of this joke in the 2L thread. Wait, do you not have to take 5 classes after 1L year? Because if not thank god.

You have to average 14 credits per semester, which is identical to the load they impose on you as a 1L. So, for all intents and purposes, you have to keep up the pace. Of course, you can take summer classes and take slightly lighter loads, and you can take clinics and seminars that may be less taxing than having 4 doctrinals at once.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:29 pm

Bumi wrote:

• American Indian Law
  • Lawyer Memoirs
  • Admiralty Law

Yeah, half of those classes are actually on my "maybe" list. lol

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:22 am

Desert Fox wrote:
Corwin wrote:

Ha, a lot of TTT's do that. Schools like NU don't, they instead just squander incredible amount of money.

Uhhh yes we do. Speta calls it our "licensing fee."

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:06 pm

in re: that guy's question about LR board elections, the answer is:

LR elections are during 2L spring. 2L members can put in for as many board positions as they want, in priority order. Applicants fill paper applications and can take advantage of a peer recommendation process by which they can endorse fellow 2Ls for certain positions (or receive such endorsements). The sitting LR board, in full, conducts in-person interviews of each candidate (so ~20 board members sit in a room together and interview 1 applicant at a time -- intimidating!), and then has a super-long closed-door meeting in which they elect the new board. If someone does not get their first choice, the board considers them for every other position they have applied for. Some years, applicants for the board outnumber board positions by a lot; other years, by only one or two people.

Getting EIC is really hard. Several of the other positions are as well (e.g., EAE), but others definitely are not (e.g., Membership Editor).

NotoriousIIED

Postby NotoriousIIED » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:49 am

What's with the Erwin Rommel fetish? Creepy.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”