Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.

Re: Northwestern Students Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:08 am

Are you an Xfer, who wants IP? Take IP w/ Francis. Great Class.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:17 am

D-hops wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Can we create a list of easy graders, and a list of harsh graders? I'll start: Copy the list and add, so it is all together.

Easy:
Stilt
Francis - his test are hard as fuck, but still really easy grader.
Speta
Demato

Suspected easy:
Eigen

Harsh:
Hughes?
McGinnis

Speta might maximize the curve (not entirely sure), but pretty much all of his classes end up being curved, so there is only so much he can do.

I know for a fact he does in curved classes. Your second point is a good one, but I think Telecom wasn't curved.

EarlCat

Postby EarlCat » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:01 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Can we create a list of easy graders, and a list of harsh graders? I'll start: Copy the list and add, so it is all together.

Easy:
Stilt
Francis - his test are hard as fuck, but still really easy grader.
Speta
Demato
Haddock
Dohrn
Levin

Suspected easy:
Eigen

Harsh:
Hughes?
McGinnis
Calabresi?
Lubet

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:06 pm

Should I be worried about transferring to NU with no WE? I feel like of the few transfers who are bound to struggle at OCI I'm a prime candidate to be one of them. I get the impression that NU place so well in biglaw because so many students have WE and that gives them a slight bump, but if you don't have any then I feel employers are going to be like, "You don't have WE? Oh, well... uh, we didn't come here for students like you. Sorry."

EarlCat

Postby EarlCat » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:50 pm

traehekat wrote:I feel employers are going to be like, "You don't have WE? Oh, well... uh, we didn't come here for students like you. Sorry."

I think NU admissions cares about WE more than OCI employers. The interviewer at OCI is gonna be on a plane the next day to go interview 2Ls at some other school who probably have no work experience either. If you're a transfer, you may even be better off because your GPA is probably well ahead of the curve.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:13 pm

EarlCat wrote:
traehekat wrote:I feel employers are going to be like, "You don't have WE? Oh, well... uh, we didn't come here for students like you. Sorry."

I think NU admissions cares about WE more than OCI employers. The interviewer at OCI is gonna be on a plane the next day to go interview 2Ls at some other school who probably have no work experience either. If you're a transfer, you may even be better off because your GPA is probably well ahead of the curve.

And most students W/E is just not impressive anyway. For every investment banker, engineer, or consultant, there are 10 teachers, waiters, or legal assistants.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:11 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
EarlCat wrote:

And most students W/E is just not impressive anyway. For every investment banker, engineer, or consultant, there are 10 teachers, waiters, or legal assistants.

yeah i mean, that is kind of what i was thinking. i was talking with the judge im interning for and he said the same thing. unless you worked in a firm or had some business/finance work experience, it really isn't going to be helpful at all.

alright i'll stop second guessing myself. prolly should get these bids in sometime soon...

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:14 pm

Eh. Interviewers do care about WE. I don't know if bad WE can hurt you (I'm sure it hurts you relatively), but good WE can definitely help you turn "reaches" into "offers".

Corwin

Postby Corwin » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:31 pm

I'm curious about elections for the editorial board of law review. The people who vote are the previous editorial board right? Let's say you went for a big position like managing editor but barley lost to another really qualified student. Are you left with no position even though you are highly qualified? I guess I'm wondering if people get shut out of editorial board because they run for EIC and the other big positions.

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:14 pm

Corwin wrote:I'm curious about elections for the editorial board of law review. The people who vote are the previous editorial board right? Let's say you went for a big position like managing editor but barley lost to another really qualified student. Are you left with no position even though you are highly qualified? I guess I'm wondering if people get shut out of editorial board because they run for EIC and the other big positions.

[Cart]..............................................................................................................[horse]

I mean, its a good question, but damn.

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:17 pm

I don't know much about journal boards, and my best anecdote pertains to a secondary journal rather than LR, but I know someone who ran pretty aggressively for EIC last year and ended up with a pretty high editor position. I think they shift around the handful of people who clearly desire and are qualified for board positions to get the best fit. I imagine LR is similar.

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:19 pm

I am not sure how it works on journals, but on student organizations' e-boards (a little less cart before the horse) you can usually rank the positions you would like in order of preference so you are not forced into a "president or bust" scenario. It would make sense for journals to work the same.

Transferthrowaway

Postby Transferthrowaway » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:23 pm

What can yall tell me about the Chicago offices of...
1. Ropes & Gray
2. Latham
3. Quinn
4. Proskaeur

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:26 pm

Transferthrowaway wrote:What can yall tell me about the Chicago offices of...
1. Ropes & Gray- the word ropes is in it
2. Latham-failed in giving out callbacks and had to scramble to correct the mistake. Low GPA's for such a highly ranked firm.
3. Quinn-dunno
4. Proskaeur-lolol do they hire anyone ever?

tried my best

Transferthrowaway

Postby Transferthrowaway » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:27 pm

bjsesq wrote:
tried my best

And that's all I can ask of you. Thanks!

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:28 pm

bjsesq wrote:
2. Latham-failed in giving out callbacks and had to scramble to correct the mistake. Low GPA's for such a highly ranked firm.
3. Quinn-dunno

tried my best

Quinn's Chicago office has like 10 attorneys, I'll be shocked if they hire anyone from NU.

Transferthrowaway

Postby Transferthrowaway » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:29 pm

D-hops wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
3. Quinn-dunno

tried my best

Quinn's Chicago office has like 10 attorneys, I'll be shocked if they hire anyone from NU.

What about UChicago?

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:31 pm

Transferthrowaway wrote:
D-hops wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
3. Quinn-dunno

tried my best

What about UChicago?

If they hire anyone, it will probably be a UChi student, but that is just speculation. I don't even know why such a tiny office is coming to OCI at all.

Transferthrowaway

Postby Transferthrowaway » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:31 pm

Thanks. I'm a incoming UChi transfer trying to put together a Chicago-focused bid list. I have no clue what I'm doing.

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:33 pm

Agree with Hops. And I've heard some bad things about their LA office from a personality standpoint both from people who have worked there, other people in the LA market, and from my career counselor.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:34 pm

Transferthrowaway wrote:Thanks. I'm a incoming UChi transfer trying to put together a Chicago-focused bid list. I have no clue what I'm doing.

You should be looking at K&E, MWE, Sidley, Winston, Jenner, and maybe Jones and Baker (not sure what these two are really planning on doing this year). Vast swaths of SAs will be at those firms.

Transferthrowaway

Postby Transferthrowaway » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:35 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Transferthrowaway wrote:Thanks. I'm a incoming UChi transfer trying to put together a Chicago-focused bid list. I have no clue what I'm doing.

You should be looking at K&E, MWE, Sidley, Winston, Jenner, and maybe Jones and Baker (not sure what these two are really planning on doing this year). Vast swaths of SAs will be at those firms.

Thanks! So far my list is...

1. K&E
2. Sidley
3. Jenner
4. Skadden
5. Latham
6. Mayer Brown
7. McDermott
8. Winston

Corwin

Postby Corwin » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:36 pm

splitmuch wrote:
Corwin wrote:I'm curious about elections for the editorial board of law review. The people who vote are the previous editorial board right? Let's say you went for a big position like managing editor but barley lost to another really qualified student. Are you left with no position even though you are highly qualified? I guess I'm wondering if people get shut out of editorial board because they run for EIC and the other big positions.

[Cart]..............................................................................................................[horse]

I mean, its a good question, but damn.

I'm not planning on attending law school for a few years as I'm working, just genuinely curious. It's difficult to find this type of information online. I hear ya about the cart/horse thing though. :P

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:36 pm

Fucking forgot Mayer. Good call. Skadden is... well, it's Skadden.

Transferthrowaway

Postby Transferthrowaway » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:38 pm

bjsesq wrote:Fucking forgot Mayer. Good call. Skadden is... well, it's Skadden.

Everything I've found on Vault etc is about their NYC office. Know the particulars of the Chicago office?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”