Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
cubswin

Re: Northwestern Students Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby cubswin » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:07 pm

aes6b wrote:I've spent quite some time lurking on this site :oops: so please don't banish me if this has already been asked but...can you all recommend some MUST TRY restaurants in Chicago?
This is the only time I have to visit Chicago before sending out apps (Northwestern is currently my top choice), and I'd love to get the full Chi-town foodie experience!

Thanks guys!

Kuma's Corner for one of the best burgers you've ever had. It's on Belmont just west of California. The place is tiny and it's really busy (at least an hour wait during peak times), so it's best if you go during the daytime.

Moo_NW

Postby Moo_NW » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:06 pm

Housing, housing, housing.

I'm just starting to look for housing (waitlist admit for '14). How late am I? What are my best options at this point in time? Argh! I'll have to live on the street for the first few weeks.

robotclubmember

Postby robotclubmember » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:08 pm

EarlCat wrote:
traehekat wrote:Is there a central location where most NU students live? Does the COA financial aid even come close to covering room/board? I'm looking at the housing options suggested on the admitted student website, but there is no way anyone could afford these places living on the amount of financial aid NU gives students for living expenses.

I never had a problem with money. You just can't buy fancy stuff and eat out every day, but there's enough money to get an apartment, keep the fridge stocked, and keep the lights on. If I had kept a car up there, it would have been a lot tighter.

The financial aid packet budgets Room and Board at $14,040.00. Let's assume you pay $1000 a month in rent and utilities (which itself is unrealistic). That leaves a remainder of $2,040 a year for food, or $170 a month, or less than $6 a day. This doesn't seem realistic, especially because I eat a ton or I lose weight really fast. I mean, I have savings from my working life and I assume a lot of NU students do, but can anyone offer up advice on how they budgeted their way around this or let me know if I should be looking at these numbers differently? Seems like you'd have to be living really tight, I mean, are law school students eligible for food stamps? lol

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:10 pm

robotclubmember wrote:
EarlCat wrote:
traehekat wrote:Is there a central location where most NU students live? Does the COA financial aid even come close to covering room/board? I'm looking at the housing options suggested on the admitted student website, but there is no way anyone could afford these places living on the amount of financial aid NU gives students for living expenses.

I never had a problem with money. You just can't buy fancy stuff and eat out every day, but there's enough money to get an apartment, keep the fridge stocked, and keep the lights on. If I had kept a car up there, it would have been a lot tighter.

The financial aid packet budgets Room and Board at $14,040.00. Let's assume you pay $1000 a month in rent and utilities (which itself is unrealistic). That leaves a remainder of $2,040 a year for food, or $170 a month, or less than $6 a day. This doesn't seem realistic, especially because I eat a ton or I lose weight really fast. I mean, I have savings from my working life and I assume a lot of NU students do, but can anyone offer up advice on how they budgeted their way around this or let me know if I should be looking at these numbers differently? Seems like you'd have to be living really tight, I mean, are law school students eligible for food stamps? lol

They don't budget you for 12 months, the COL is only for the time you are in school. There are other options to pay for room and board over the summer.

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:14 pm

Moo_NW wrote:Housing, housing, housing.

I'm just starting to look for housing (waitlist admit for '14). How late am I? What are my best options at this point in time? Argh! I'll have to live on the street for the first few weeks.

You should be fine. The rental market in Chicago turns over so fast that looking anywhere beyond a month or two out can be a waste. Some of the big high rises near the law school may have already filled up, but in all likelihood you should be able to find something near LS if you want. If you want to live in a neighborhood a little further away from school you should be just fine. If you are really worried use an apartment finder service (google will suggest a few). Otherwise start browsing craigslist and padmapper.com to get an idea of price and location.

Congrats on getting in!

robotclubmember

Postby robotclubmember » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:35 pm

D-hops wrote:
They don't budget you for 12 months, the COL is only for the time you are in school. There are other options to pay for room and board over the summer.

what are they? thx

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:39 pm

robotclubmember wrote:
D-hops wrote:

what are they? thx

Get a job that pays is probably #1. Also, this thing.

Also #3: do something for credit: externship, take a class, whatever. They will give you more loans if you do that.

Moo_NW

Postby Moo_NW » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:54 pm

To demonstrate how clueless I am about everything still: are grades at NU Law 100% final exam based?

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:55 pm

Just got an email today from Northwestern about the Summer Law Prep and Jump Start programs. Both are free. You guys have any experience with those things?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:58 pm

Bumi wrote:Just got an email today from Northwestern about the Summer Law Prep and Jump Start programs. Both are free. You guys have any experience with those things?

You mean the things that the law students on TLS laugh at 0L's for considering?

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:07 pm

bk1 wrote:
Bumi wrote:Just got an email today from Northwestern about the Summer Law Prep and Jump Start programs. Both are free. You guys have any experience with those things?

You mean the things that the law students on TLS laugh at 0L's for considering?

Ha yes exactly. Okay point taken.

Honestly I considered it more for the after-class hangouts, not for any insights into how to outline. But what am I thinking? Between TLS and the facebook group, I should be able to fill the pre-orientation week with enough drinking right?

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:24 pm

Moo_NW wrote:To demonstrate how clueless I am about everything still: are grades at NU Law 100% final exam based?

It's a class by class thing.

Most are. A few sections had a midterm or two that counted. Some profs include a small paper, or class participation.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:35 pm

robotclubmember wrote:
EarlCat wrote:

I'm budgeting for twelve months since I don't want to count on a paying job. I am paying $700/month for an apartment ten minutes from school. And if you cook, $170/month is ample for food. I plan on using the "persona" budget for eating out/going out at night/etc.

EarlCat

Postby EarlCat » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:18 pm

Take a class in the summer and you get financial aid.

Moo_NW wrote:To demonstrate how clueless I am about everything still: are grades at NU Law 100% final exam based?

Most traditional classes have a final. Seminars are paper or project based. Trial classes have either a final trial, a mid-term and final trial, weekly grades, or all of the above. Clinics have whatever grades the prof wants to give.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:19 pm

http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissions/tuitionaid/tuition/studentbudgetJD.html

Can you still take out the full amount ($77,344) of COA even if you aren't getting a computer or you are still covered by your parent's health insurance? Because then your $14,040 room and board budget would increase to $18,624, and with personal expenses that is $21,234. Figure rent/utilities is $14,000 for 10 months, that leaves $7,234/year for food/personal ($3,617/semester, $723/month).

Does that sound about right? Is that doable?

Corwin

Postby Corwin » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:21 pm

Anyone know if syllabuses for any of the L1 classes are available? I'm really interested in looking one or two over.

EarlCat

Postby EarlCat » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:37 pm

Corwin wrote:L1

lol.

EarlCat

Postby EarlCat » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:39 pm

Corwin wrote:Anyone know if syllabuses for any of the L1 classes are available? I'm really interested in looking one or two over.

Welcome to [COURSE NAME]. Please prepare for discussion of the following materials before class time:

[Date]
[Name] v. [Name], [Name] v. [Name], [Name] v. [Name], [Name] v. [Name], and [Name] v. [Name], pp. [X-Y]

[Date]
[Name] v. [Name], [Name] v. [Name], [Name] v. [Name], [Name] v. [Name], and [Name] v. [Name], pp. [X-Y]

[Date]

[Date]

[Date]

[Date]

[Date]

[Date]

[Date]

Edit: Also, GUNNER!

Moo_NW

Postby Moo_NW » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:47 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:I'm budgeting for twelve months since I don't want to count on a paying job. I am paying $700/month for an apartment ten minutes from school. And if you cook, $170/month is ample for food. I plan on using the "persona" budget for eating out/going out at night/etc.

$700? Where? How?

Also: can I ask NU for an additional $3k in university loans (OWLS)? Do they do it?

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:51 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:
robotclubmember wrote:
EarlCat wrote:

I'm budgeting for twelve months since I don't want to count on a paying job. I am paying $700/month for an apartment ten minutes from school. And if you cook, $170/month is ample for food. I plan on using the "persona" budget for eating out/going out at night/etc.

This is probably more conservative than you have to be. Any non-paying job you get will either qualify for SFPIF money or will allow you to take a practicum that will allow you to take out COL loans for the summer. But budgeting for 12 months works too, I suppose.

robotclubmember

Postby robotclubmember » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:12 am

Eugenie Danglars wrote:

you must be a girl if you think $170 a month is enough food to live off of. that or you live off of water and saltines.

Corwin

Postby Corwin » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:04 am

EarlCat wrote:
Corwin wrote:L1

lol.

If I go to law school, I wont be going for a few years. Currently making bank working as an Engineer. :P I'm honestly just curious.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:13 am

I had one 1L class that didn't even have a syllabus, and a couple more that had page numbers but no dates or topics. They're pretty useless for the most part, except for knowing what to read for a given day.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:14 am

Moo_NW wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:I'm budgeting for twelve months since I don't want to count on a paying job. I am paying $700/month for an apartment ten minutes from school. And if you cook, $170/month is ample for food. I plan on using the "persona" budget for eating out/going out at night/etc.

$700? Where? How?

Also: can I ask NU for an additional $3k in university loans (OWLS)? Do they do it?

Get roommates and don't live in Streetervillr and you can pay less than that. I used to live in a 2-bedroom apt by myself that I paid $800/month for.

Corwin

Postby Corwin » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:17 am

robotclubmember wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:

you must be a girl if you think $170 a month is enough food to live off of. that or you live off of water and saltines.

It's possible but it's not "ample for food". I've lived off of $40 a week, which works out to about $2 a meal. It's doable, but you definitely have to make an effort and it's not as healthy as you could eat. My usual meals were: breakfast burrito each morning ($0.75 each), PP&J and fruit for lunch ($1.50), beans, rice, onion, and a little bit of chicken for dinner ($2.50) and some snacks throughout the day ($0.50 per).

Note that includes no eating out and no booze. Even if you're a light drinker (a bottle or wine of a six pack per weekend) and you go out once per week with your friends, suddenly your weekly bill jumps from $40 to $60. Thus you see the biggest challenges of eating cheaply are not making cheap food, but not spending on the more social activities like drinking and eating out. :P

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”