Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
jd-mba
Posts: 105
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:57 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L taking questions

Postby jd-mba » Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:54 pm

Thanks for the responses guys. You guys are all so helpful. I have my interview coming up, and I was just wondering if there has been anything about Northwestern that has been a pleasant surprise for you (i.e. you didn't expect it coming in). Or if you could talk about some of the courses that you have found particularly exciting? Also, is anybody in town the first week of January? I think you guys will have just started back up then. I'm staying in McClurg and would love to meet up with some 1Ls to get your insight/interview tips if possible. Thanks!

p.s. What's everyone's NYE plan? :)

APimpNamedSlickback
Posts: 1126
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:33 am

Re: Northwestern 1L taking questions

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:00 pm

To what extent, if at all, is NU's culture different from its peer schools given its significantly older student body?

hey123
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:19 am

Re: Northwestern 1L taking questions

Postby hey123 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:07 pm

I posted this on another thread, but figured I might get better response from actual 1Ls. Does anyone you know live in the gold coast neighborhood? I have friends there from UG that might let me move in, but I won't have a car.. they claim it's in walking distance.

Also, this has probably already been touched on, but what's the social scene like? Do people go out a lot together? Are bar reviews well attended? This will be my first time living in Chicago and I hope to enjoy the social scene as well as studying my butt off.

Also, are the guys hot? (OK JUST KIDDING, making fun of previous thread). I thought it should swing both ways, for us ladies as well..but please no need to answer that question.

I"m excited to meet everyone this fall!

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Northwestern 1L taking questions

Postby rayiner » Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:03 pm

jd-mba wrote: I have my interview coming up, and I was just wondering if there has been anything about Northwestern that has been a pleasant surprise for you (i.e. you didn't expect it coming in).


I was surprised by how down to earth everyone was. I remember first coming to interview and walking around and seeing the students and being a little intimidated to be perfectly honest. My 1L experience wasn't like that at all.

hey123 wrote:I have friends there from UG that might let me move in, but I won't have a car.. they claim it's in walking distance.


It depends what part of Gold Coast. There are parts of Gold Coast just north of Streeterville that are definitely walkable. Other parts extend further north and may not be. The bus going up there is every convenient though. That's one very good thing about Chicago --- the busses, at least in the inner part of the city, are extremely timely.

hey123 wrote:Do people go out a lot together? Are bar reviews well attended?


People generally find their circle of friends and go out, more or less frequently depending on the group. Bar reviews are quite well-attended, except for some specific times (eg: right before midterms). The SBA's bar choices are usually very good, and drinks are *really* cheap in Chicago...

hey123 wrote:Also, are the guys hot? (OK JUST KIDDING, making fun of previous thread). I thought it should swing both ways, for us ladies as well..but please no need to answer that question.


Don't forget that the med school and NU memorial hospital are right next door, increasing the opportunities for husband hunting. Some of my female friends have been disappointed by the med students, though I haven't seen enough of them to form a comprehensive opinion.

User avatar
chadwick218
Posts: 1337
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:15 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L taking questions

Postby chadwick218 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:41 pm

School? wrote:Is NU transfer friendly? And how is previous WE factored into the transfer students decisions? I apologize for the weird question but im hoping one of you might know some transfers and have anecdotal stories. Thanks


Historically, NU has been considered transfer friendly and accepted approximately 30 transfers every year. I do know of a couple of transfers who had very limited work experience (but they have since graduated). However, the introduction of the AJD program will likely will likely limit the number of transfers on a go-forward basis!

gollymolly
Posts: 127
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:32 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L taking questions

Postby gollymolly » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:25 pm

talibkweli wrote:To what extent, if at all, is NU's culture different from its peer schools given its significantly older student body?


I think NU's median age is something like 1.5 years older than the normal median age for law students. So there are some differences, but it's not like you're going to school with people who are paying for school with their social security benefits.

I think most of the differences are more attributable to the fact that people have work experience than the fact that they're older. People tend to be very noncompetitive. People that are career students (up to this point) can view school as an end of itself, whereas it seems like people who have had other careers treat school more of as a means to an end and therefore have less anxiety about certain things? I could be completely wrong though.

Also, Talib Kweli had a concert near campus during finals last year and there were quite a few NU students in attendance.

User avatar
sidgey
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:02 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L taking questions

Postby sidgey » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:25 pm

talibkweli wrote:To what extent, if at all, is NU's culture different from its peer schools given its significantly older student body?


I think the difference is EXTREME. I dread people right out of undergrad because I'm terrified all they'll want to talk about with me is what their dining hall was like and compare NU's library to their undergrad library... there is zero talk of that. I have one friend who came to NU right out of college and I must say although I love the guy, he is somewhat less mature than many of our peers because they have had "real life" experience. I can't tell you how much of a difference in maturity one year of work experience makes. As an older student (28) it makes my experience at NU so fantastic.

jd-mba wrote:Thanks for the responses guys. You guys are all so helpful. I have my interview coming up, and I was just wondering if there has been anything about Northwestern that has been a pleasant surprise for you (i.e. you didn't expect it coming in).


I expected everyone to be cut throat and undermining and super competitive despite what people say about the school's collegial atmosphere. But my expectations could not be farther from the truth. There is one dude in my section who is my nightmare, you know, finding "A" outlines and bragging about them but not sharing them, and I'm always scared to listen to him because I'm pretty sure he's trying to give me false info to mess me up. But he's gotten a BAD rap because of that and has lost a few friends over it because everyone knows its BS to be like that. The rest of us share outlines and information... I get automatic class notes sent to me by 2 or 3 people every time I miss class if they've noticed I wasn't there.

Unpleasant surprises: I think the campus is really ugly/mismatched because its 1/2 modern and 1/2 super old, but that's just personal opinion. I also expected there to be much less work (facepalm). I also haven't really enjoyed spending any time with my professors outside of class except for one of them (Stilt). One professor, Redish, even takes 5 students out for beers once a week, and I thought it was pretty painful but I'm not super outgoing either.


jd-mba wrote:Or if you could talk about some of the courses that you have found particularly exciting?


I. Have. Loved. All. My. Classes. I can't believe how interesting they've been. I had contracts, torts, civ pro and property this semester. I could go on for pages about what I loved about them, but here are the top things I enjoyed:

Contracts - the professor was so engaging (Eigen), and used ALL these real world examples (time-shares, youtube getrichquick real estate scams, starbucks ad campaigns, cruise line ticket contracts, hollywood likeness use agreements when they're filming something on the street you're walking along) to illustrate his points. Its like, I've had a revelation about how contractually bound I become through every day activities.

Torts - Wow. I had Shapo who taught the rationale and theory behind each tort and now I LOVE thinking about why people sue for the things they do, and whether they should, and if they should, where you draw the line, and if you draw the line in a certain place, who's happiest, and who do we WANT to be happiest in society... I'm not a huge theory person, but this stuff is fascinating.

Property - Amazing. I had no idea that property is relational and not strictly defined. We got to talking about property rights in yourself and in pets, and did independent research projects on relevant modern day topics like a coal plant in the Pilsen area of Chicago or an anti-homelessness activist in Florida... the way property plays into politics is super interesting.

Civil Procedure - this class was taught by Redish who is one of the most arrogant people I've encountered. But the substance blew my mind. The way that what you'd think would just be simple court room procedure shapes all of society is ridiculous. One of our exam questions was talking about eliminating discovery and my conclusion was wild... that the more discovery, the more open and transparent business operations will be forced to be, which will lead to a more moral society in general. I truly believe that too.

CLR - zomg this class is super fun and you get to do all this research on super interesting cases and pretend you're a real lawyer, turning things in to a senior partner. But I know other sections have shitty professors for this so not everyone enjoys it. Ours was awesome and did thinks like ordering us pizza in class.

User avatar
sidgey
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:02 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L taking questions

Postby sidgey » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:27 pm

hey123 wrote:
Also, are the guys hot?


Well Rayiner is smokin hot so you've got one right there...

hey123
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:19 am

Re: Northwestern 1L taking questions

Postby hey123 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:38 pm

I'm sure he is smokin hot. He did make the unfortunate assumption that i am "husband hunting." I'm not looking for a rich doctor or some snooty MBA student; i'm just looking for some random play from a hottie..is that such as a bad thing? There is this sexism on this board, all of these guys, who let's be honest are probably less than "10: themselves, commenting on how hot or not hot all law school girls are..well i'll be interested to see the guys next year, that's all of I have to say..
joking about the random pay (well kind of)...lol


P.S I hate the bears.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L taking questions

Postby 09042014 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:02 am

hey123 wrote:I'm sure he is smokin hot. He did make the unfortunate assumption that i am "husband hunting." I'm not looking for a rich doctor or some snooty MBA student; i'm just looking for some random play from a hottie..is that such as a bad thing? There is this sexism on this board, all of these guys, who let's be honest are probably less than "10: themselves, commenting on how hot or not hot all law school girls are..well i'll be interested to see the guys next year, that's all of I have to say..
joking about the random pay (well kind of)...lol


P.S I hate the bears.


This whole shitty bears season will be worth it if they fuck the Vikings season up.

User avatar
hmlee
Posts: 365
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:12 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L taking questions

Postby hmlee » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:14 am

sidgey wrote:
talibkweli wrote:To what extent, if at all, is NU's culture different from its peer schools given its significantly older student body?


I think the difference is EXTREME. I dread people right out of undergrad because I'm terrified all they'll want to talk about with me is what their dining hall was like and compare NU's library to their undergrad library... there is zero talk of that. I have one friend who came to NU right out of college and I must say although I love the guy, he is somewhat less mature than many of our peers because they have had "real life" experience. I can't tell you how much of a difference in maturity one year of work experience makes. As an older student (28) it makes my experience at NU so fantastic.

jd-mba wrote:Thanks for the responses guys. You guys are all so helpful. I have my interview coming up, and I was just wondering if there has been anything about Northwestern that has been a pleasant surprise for you (i.e. you didn't expect it coming in).


I expected everyone to be cut throat and undermining and super competitive despite what people say about the school's collegial atmosphere. But my expectations could not be farther from the truth. There is one dude in my section who is my nightmare, you know, finding "A" outlines and bragging about them but not sharing them, and I'm always scared to listen to him because I'm pretty sure he's trying to give me false info to mess me up. But he's gotten a BAD rap because of that and has lost a few friends over it because everyone knows its BS to be like that. The rest of us share outlines and information... I get automatic class notes sent to me by 2 or 3 people every time I miss class if they've noticed I wasn't there.

Unpleasant surprises: I think the campus is really ugly/mismatched because its 1/2 modern and 1/2 super old, but that's just personal opinion. I also expected there to be much less work (facepalm). I also haven't really enjoyed spending any time with my professors outside of class except for one of them (Stilt). One professor, Redish, even takes 5 students out for beers once a week, and I thought it was pretty painful but I'm not super outgoing either.


jd-mba wrote:Or if you could talk about some of the courses that you have found particularly exciting?


I. Have. Loved. All. My. Classes. I can't believe how interesting they've been. I had contracts, torts, civ pro and property this semester. I could go on for pages about what I loved about them, but here are the top things I enjoyed:

Contracts - the professor was so engaging (Eigen), and used ALL these real world examples (time-shares, youtube getrichquick real estate scams, starbucks ad campaigns, cruise line ticket contracts, hollywood likeness use agreements when they're filming something on the street you're walking along) to illustrate his points. Its like, I've had a revelation about how contractually bound I become through every day activities.

Torts - Wow. I had Shapo who taught the rationale and theory behind each tort and now I LOVE thinking about why people sue for the things they do, and whether they should, and if they should, where you draw the line, and if you draw the line in a certain place, who's happiest, and who do we WANT to be happiest in society... I'm not a huge theory person, but this stuff is fascinating.

Property - Amazing. I had no idea that property is relational and not strictly defined. We got to talking about property rights in yourself and in pets, and did independent research projects on relevant modern day topics like a coal plant in the Pilsen area of Chicago or an anti-homelessness activist in Florida... the way property plays into politics is super interesting.

Civil Procedure - this class was taught by Redish who is one of the most arrogant people I've encountered. But the substance blew my mind. The way that what you'd think would just be simple court room procedure shapes all of society is ridiculous. One of our exam questions was talking about eliminating discovery and my conclusion was wild... that the more discovery, the more open and transparent business operations will be forced to be, which will lead to a more moral society in general. I truly believe that too.

CLR - zomg this class is super fun and you get to do all this research on super interesting cases and pretend you're a real lawyer, turning things in to a senior partner. But I know other sections have shitty professors for this so not everyone enjoys it. Ours was awesome and did thinks like ordering us pizza in class.


You're 28? Never would have guessed. Would have pegged you for 25, maybe 26. Guess I'm terrible at ages.

kismet
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:29 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L taking questions

Postby kismet » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:59 pm

Can you all provide any insight into those who got in without interviewing? Is it pretty much a requirement in order to get in?

...thanks chadwick!

Edited to add: please don't quote me when responding - I'll prob come back to delete details later - thanks!
Last edited by kismet on Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
chadwick218
Posts: 1337
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:15 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L taking questions

Postby chadwick218 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:39 pm

In response to kismet's question: I didn't interview and was still admitted with only modest stats. In fact, I missed my interview altogether. With that said, you may still want to consider interviewing for scholarship purposes. With respect to the interview date, you pick the date!

User avatar
Lizface killah
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:28 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L taking questions

Postby Lizface killah » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:08 pm

sidgey wrote:
CLR - zomg this class is super fun and you get to do all this research on super interesting cases and pretend you're a real lawyer, turning things in to a senior partner. But I know other sections have shitty professors for this so not everyone enjoys it. Ours was awesome and did things like ordering us pizza in class.


Dude, can I switch CLR sections plz.

User avatar
hmlee
Posts: 365
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:12 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L taking questions

Postby hmlee » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:11 pm

Lizface killah wrote:
sidgey wrote:
CLR - zomg this class is super fun and you get to do all this research on super interesting cases and pretend you're a real lawyer, turning things in to a senior partner. But I know other sections have shitty professors for this so not everyone enjoys it. Ours was awesome and did things like ordering us pizza in class.


Dude, can I switch CLR sections plz.


I know right? Where is that CLR prof?

User avatar
chadwick218
Posts: 1337
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:15 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L taking questions

Postby chadwick218 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:14 pm

I would say that my CLR prof is very good as well despite my frustrations over having not yet received back my final memo despite her promise that we would receive before January 1st! I'm curious if this allows me to also be "x" days late next semester in turning in my assignments without any repurcussions!

User avatar
Lizface killah
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:28 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L taking questions

Postby Lizface killah » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:24 pm

NU1L taking CLR complaints from other NU 1Ls...

User avatar
chadwick218
Posts: 1337
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:15 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L taking questions

Postby chadwick218 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:00 pm

Lizface killah wrote:NU1L taking CLR complaints from other NU 1Ls...


Course evaluations should be fun!

User avatar
animalcrkrs
Posts: 269
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:24 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L taking questions

Postby animalcrkrs » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:13 pm

Lizface killah wrote:NU1L taking CLR complaints from other NU 1Ls...


Oh don't hate on the Narks Liz!!

Chiming in with my NU 1L experience. I HAVE LOVED IT. There is not a single person in my section I don't like, and even the people who are mildly annoying are pretty entertaining.

I liked all my classes last semester, have made really great friends, had good opportunities to take up leadership roles in organizations from the get-go, and although I'm on the "younger" side (just turned 25 a couple of weeks ago) and I'm happily single and dating (which is very do-able in law school I have found!), I hardly even think about me versus someone who is much older/has a sig-o/is married as being really that different (save a couple of people on either end of the spectrum I have trouble telling the ages apart anyway lol), we all have a great time when we go out etc. and the more the merrier to add to the friend group in my opinion! There are people who *never* go to bar review, people who *always* go, and people in-between (I'm towards the always end thank god) but the SBA puts on a good show with it (take it from one who was HAMMERED last day of exams at the bar review) and the 1L class independently organized an all-day bar crawl to 5 or 6 bars the day after exams ended that started at noon and lasted all day and night which was sweet. Also, a bunch of people I know started hanging out once a week, playing board games/drinking games/poker, watching whatever sporting event was on TV and drinking just for the hell of it, which I loved and which will hopefully continue/expand membership in the spring, it was a great way to get to know people better etc. without talking about torts :)

I was especially impressed by the level of camaraderie among my classmates and utter dearth of cutthroat competition. For example, even though we are all competing on a curve in our section, when someone's computer died and all their notes were lost during the LAST week of the semester, he had several people sending him their entire semester's worth of notes within a few hours. And while I wasn't a study group person all semester, the three people I teamed up with to study with during finals were a really GREAT TEAM, all of us really helping each other, keeping each other accountable etc., it was really fantastic to have around given how stressful that time is.

I also think that compared to other similar schools where i know people attending, the system for picking 2nd semester 1L electives is really fair (everyone gets points to bid) and I have not met one person yet who is not in classes they want to be in for electives except for maybe not getting the particular section of Business Associations they wanted. I got the electives I wanted with absolutely no problem.

My complaints are this: the weather...it's cold. Balanced by the fact that you can live really close to campus and Chicago is a FAN-TAS-TIC city, but it is cold.
CLR (legal writing) is not so wonderful/exciting, but at least NU gives us real profs to teach instead of 3Ls which I appreciate.
Also, I have not loved the manic-ness of career services and the people who help you "transition to law school" (APEX)-- one minute they are telling you not to stress and focus on your studies and everything will turn out fine for everyone!, the next they are terrifying you that you'll never find a job and you should schedule every minute of every day including bathroom breaks into a time matrix or you'll fail. I know they are TRYING to help but it is ridiculous. The reality is, not everyone will do great--hello, curve--, but hopefully if the economy keeps improving everyone or almost everyone will be able to find a job (it just might not be the one you imagined you'd have if you DID do great) but you still have to put some serious work and effort in, of course! I have heard that other schools are much more active in forcing the 1Ls have resumes/cover letters/recs done during 1st semester--and I'm not sure if NU would be better served doing that or not. (??)

Other than that, I like the living situation (I am not in college, I don't want to live in a dorm, and the apts around campus are great though a bit expensive) and I have not felt like being in the city has minimized the closeness of the student body at all, just made the places we go to play more spread out!

Can't wait to see my law school friends again in T-minus 2 days!!

User avatar
Dick Whitman
Posts: 232
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:55 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L taking questions

Postby Dick Whitman » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:57 pm

hey123 wrote:I posted this on another thread, but figured I might get better response from actual 1Ls. Does anyone you know live in the gold coast neighborhood? I have friends there from UG that might let me move in, but I won't have a car.. they claim it's in walking distance.

Also, this has probably already been touched on, but what's the social scene like? Do people go out a lot together? Are bar reviews well attended? This will be my first time living in Chicago and I hope to enjoy the social scene as well as studying my butt off.

Also, are the guys hot? (OK JUST KIDDING, making fun of previous thread). I thought it should swing both ways, for us ladies as well..but please no need to answer that question.

I"m excited to meet everyone this fall!


I live in the Gold Coast. I love it. It's a far better residential neighborhood than Streeterville. I live within a block of a grocery store, pharmacy, L stop, bus stop, and innumerable bars and restaurants. I walk (and once upon a time biked) almost every day, despite it being relatively convenient to hop on a bus or train. It's only 1.25 m. from my apartment to campus.

User avatar
chadwick218
Posts: 1337
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:15 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L taking questions

Postby chadwick218 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:23 pm

animalcrkrs wrote:I have heard that other schools are much more active in forcing the 1Ls have resumes/cover letters/recs done during 1st semester--and I'm not sure if NU would be better served doing that or not. (??)


Agreed. It also seemed like we received mixed messages. At lunch sessions, we were seemingly given the impression not to even worry about jobs until after exams and almost encouraged to forget about applying to any firm jobs as a 1L. It is also discouraging to note that there are only 3 career advisors for 250+ 1L's. However, NU touts that they have the highest staffed career office out of the T14 (source?).

Otherwise, looking back, I really don't have any "reasonable" complaints.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L taking questions

Postby 09042014 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:17 am

Dick Whitman wrote:
hey123 wrote:I posted this on another thread, but figured I might get better response from actual 1Ls. Does anyone you know live in the gold coast neighborhood? I have friends there from UG that might let me move in, but I won't have a car.. they claim it's in walking distance.

Also, this has probably already been touched on, but what's the social scene like? Do people go out a lot together? Are bar reviews well attended? This will be my first time living in Chicago and I hope to enjoy the social scene as well as studying my butt off.

Also, are the guys hot? (OK JUST KIDDING, making fun of previous thread). I thought it should swing both ways, for us ladies as well..but please no need to answer that question.

I"m excited to meet everyone this fall!


I live in the Gold Coast. I love it. It's a far better residential neighborhood than Streeterville. I live within a block of a grocery store, pharmacy, L stop, bus stop, and innumerable bars and restaurants. I walk (and once upon a time biked) almost every day, despite it being relatively convenient to hop on a bus or train. It's only 1.25 m. from my apartment to campus.


How bad is the rent?

User avatar
TTT-LS
Posts: 764
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:36 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L taking questions

Postby TTT-LS » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:49 pm

.
Last edited by TTT-LS on Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Northwestern 1L taking questions

Postby rayiner » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:17 pm

TTT-LS wrote:Which electives did you guys sign up for? Those of you in Torts II will be lucky enough to share a classroom with yours truly. I don't think 1Ls are eligible for any of my other classes.


Intellectual Property with Diamond and American Legal History with Presser.

User avatar
Dick Whitman
Posts: 232
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:55 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L taking questions

Postby Dick Whitman » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:51 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Dick Whitman wrote:
hey123 wrote:I posted this on another thread, but figured I might get better response from actual 1Ls. Does anyone you know live in the gold coast neighborhood? I have friends there from UG that might let me move in, but I won't have a car.. they claim it's in walking distance.

Also, this has probably already been touched on, but what's the social scene like? Do people go out a lot together? Are bar reviews well attended? This will be my first time living in Chicago and I hope to enjoy the social scene as well as studying my butt off.

Also, are the guys hot? (OK JUST KIDDING, making fun of previous thread). I thought it should swing both ways, for us ladies as well..but please no need to answer that question.

I"m excited to meet everyone this fall!


I live in the Gold Coast. I love it. It's a far better residential neighborhood than Streeterville. I live within a block of a grocery store, pharmacy, L stop, bus stop, and innumerable bars and restaurants. I walk (and once upon a time biked) almost every day, despite it being relatively convenient to hop on a bus or train. It's only 1.25 m. from my apartment to campus.


How bad is the rent?


It's better than Streeterville. I pay $805/mth for a small studio.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: obx, splitterfromhell and 3 guests