Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.

Re: Northwestern Students Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby 09042014 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:24 pm

That picture looks like they edited out a lot of buildings, or they were knocked down.

West Loop is just as generic white person as Streeterville is.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:57 pm

Desert Fox wrote:That picture looks like they edited out a lot of buildings, or they were knocked down.

I don't see the problem with that. I love generic white people!

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:20 pm

rayiner wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:That picture looks like they edited out a lot of buildings, or they were knocked down.

I don't see the problem with that. I love generic white people!

Streeterville is more generically white than the West Loop. They're the most generic white people of all: asians.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:25 pm

Disagree, although west loop was also too yuppie for my tastes. But it at least had more culture/fewer suburban chains. I think my Streeterville hate likely stems from the fact tha it caters so much to tourists. I don't like in a major city so I can get Chipotle when I'm craving Mexican food.

lawstudento

Postby lawstudento » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:53 pm

Is there a gym on campus?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:54 pm

lawstudento wrote:Is there a gym on campus?

http://www.northwestern.edu/uservices/f ... ampus.html

lawstudento

Postby lawstudento » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:15 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
lawstudento wrote:Is there a gym on campus?

http://www.northwestern.edu/uservices/f ... ampus.html

Didn't find any Yelp page, but what reviews I did find were stuck-up people complaining that NU students were swarming the place and talking about getting drunk.

I tip my hat.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:59 pm

Any NU transfers out there? Or students with knowledge of how transfers fair at OCI?

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:22 pm

traehekat wrote:Any NU transfers out there? Or students with knowledge of how transfers fair at OCI?

THE HIVE. IT HAZ YOU.

No idea on your question, btw. Ray?

Corwin

Postby Corwin » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:48 pm

Do you guys know anyone who is clerking after graduation? Any particular professor that has close relationships with local judges?

EarlCat

Postby EarlCat » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:03 pm

traehekat wrote:Any NU transfers out there? Or students with knowledge of how transfers fair at OCI?

I don't know, but I'll bet they do better than the average student because being a transfer means their 1L grades were fantabulous.

Corwin wrote:Do you guys know anyone who is clerking after graduation? Any particular professor that has close relationships with local judges?

1) Yes. All of them have really really good grades, all of them took fed jur (and probably civ pro II), and almost all of them are on law review.

2) I've heard it's not so much about the relationship of the prof to the judge, it's the reputation of the professor not to send a recommendation letter for just anyone. Professors who give rec letters out like candy aren't helping anyone.

aes6b

Postby aes6b » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:37 am

I've spent quite some time lurking on this site :oops: so please don't banish me if this has already been asked but...can you all recommend some MUST TRY restaurants in Chicago?
This is the only time I have to visit Chicago before sending out apps (Northwestern is currently my top choice), and I'd love to get the full Chi-town foodie experience!

Thanks guys!

Corwin

Postby Corwin » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:42 am

aes6b wrote:I've spent quite some time lurking on this site :oops: so please don't banish me if this has already been asked but...can you all recommend some MUST TRY restaurants in Chicago?
This is the only time I have to visit Chicago before sending out apps (Northwestern is currently my top choice), and I'd love to get the full Chi-town foodie experience!

Thanks guys!

In no particular order: Unos (pizza), Gejas (pretty good fondue, date type place), Iberico (tapas), Superdawg (drive-in hot dog place), Portillos (hot dog). These are all pretty mainstream places, maybe someone can give you some better niche recommendations. Enioy :P

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:43 am

aes6b wrote:I've spent quite some time lurking on this site :oops: so please don't banish me if this has already been asked but...can you all recommend some MUST TRY restaurants in Chicago?

Thanks guys!

I'm no expert, having only been there once myself, but a local friend told me to get a proper Chicago hot dog at Portillo's, which was walking distance (8 blocks west and 3 blocks south of NU on Ontario). It was a damn good hot dog. I liked it better than the pizza. :)

lawandi

Postby lawandi » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:45 am

Thanks guys!

I had the same curiosity, so I watched the Man v Food on Chicago. Somewhat helpful... But I'd love some suggestions that are near to the law school or easily accessible. :)

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:55 am

lawandi wrote:

Thanks guys!

I had the same curiosity, so I watched the Man v Food on Chicago. Somewhat helpful... But I'd love some suggestions that are near to the law school or easily accessible. :)

man i went to lucky's last summer cause i saw it on Man v. Food and it was disappointing for sure.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:33 am

If you go to Portillos get their Italian Beef. It's great.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:44 am

bjsesq wrote:

THE HIVE. IT HAZ YOU.

No idea on your question, btw. Ray?

No idea.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:53 am

Is there a central location where most NU students live? Does the COA financial aid even come close to covering room/board? I'm looking at the housing options suggested on the admitted student website, but there is no way anyone could afford these places living on the amount of financial aid NU gives students for living expenses.

EDIT: Feel free to ignore, obviously this has been answered in this thread before so I'm taking a look.

EarlCat

Postby EarlCat » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:30 am

traehekat wrote:Is there a central location where most NU students live? Does the COA financial aid even come close to covering room/board? I'm looking at the housing options suggested on the admitted student website, but there is no way anyone could afford these places living on the amount of financial aid NU gives students for living expenses.

I never had a problem with money. You just can't buy fancy stuff and eat out every day, but there's enough money to get an apartment, keep the fridge stocked, and keep the lights on. If I had kept a car up there, it would have been a lot tighter.

ncct07

Postby ncct07 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:35 pm

Thanks guys!

Pizza: Giordano's > Uno, Due, Gino's Malnatti's

Breakfast: Original Pancake House on Bellevue; Yolk

Portillo's: hotdogs, burgers, Italian Beef, FRIES

$$: Rosebud on Rush, Prosecco, The Gage, Frontera Grill, Zealous, Girl and the Goat, Graham Eliott, Japonais

Have a cocktail at the bar on the top of the Hancock Building - great views, and you won't have to pay for the observation deck (one floor above)

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:08 pm

ncct07 wrote:

Thanks guys!

$$: Rosebud on Rush, Prosecco, The Gage, Frontera Grill, Zealous, Girl and the Goat, Graham Eliott, Japonais

Have a cocktail at the bar on the top of the Hancock Building - great views, and you won't have to pay for the observation deck (one floor above)

This person gets it. Add the chocolate cake at portillos and the silver sppon in steeterville for a quick, cheap lunch and you've got win. Also, West Town tavern for fine dining mixed with home cooking at a reasonable price. Japonais and Girl and the Goat are fucking awesome.

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:21 pm

bjsesq wrote:
ncct07 wrote:

Thanks guys!

This person gets it. Add the chocolate cake at portillos and the silver sppon in steeterville for a quick, cheap lunch and you've got win. Also, West Town tavern for fine dining mixed with home cooking at a reasonable price. Japonais and Girl and the Goat are fucking awesome.

You've been to the Girl and the Goat. Damn, I've been looking to try that place out. Good?

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:23 pm

D-hops wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
ncct07 wrote:

Thanks guys!

You've been to the Girl and the Goat. Damn, I've been looking to try that place out. Good?

Great food, dude. Once school starts up again, I'd gladly go with you.

EarlCat

Postby EarlCat » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:38 pm

ncct07 wrote:Breakfast: Original Pancake House on Bellevue; Yolk

I'd add West Egg and Tempo.

...and India Garden for lunch. Yummmmm.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”