Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
lawstudento

Re: Northwestern Students Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby lawstudento » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:15 pm

Flashmob muggings?

So ya, no car?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:19 pm

lawstudento wrote:Flashmob muggings?

So ya, no car?

I haven't been there that much but I see no reason why you would need/want one. It's expensive as hell for parking, public transit is just fine, and if you ever really need a car ZipCar is more than adequate.

lawstudento

Postby lawstudento » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:25 pm

Thanks, that's what I figured. I already have a ZipCar membership. Looks like I need to sell my car.

Any suggestions for housing? I'll be new to the area and a transfer, so I want to try to live in the thick of it, in regard to the student body.

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:27 pm

bk1 wrote:
lawstudento wrote:Flashmob muggings?

So ya, no car?

I haven't been there that much but I see no reason why you would need/want one. It's expensive as hell for parking, public transit is just fine, and if you ever really need a car ZipCar is more than adequate.

Depends where you are living. I live up in lakeview and I have a closed garage that comes with my unit, plus there is a lot of free street parking. I use my car quite a bit but that is because I have one and have to drive a couple of different places to play sports. I have lived in the city without one and it is fine and if I was going to have to pay $200 a month to park it I would not have it, but there are plenty of places to live where you don't have to pay for parking.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:29 pm

lawstudento wrote:Thanks, that's what I figured. I already have a ZipCar membership. Looks like I need to sell my car.

Any suggestions for housing? I'll be new to the area and a transfer, so I want to try to live in the thick of it, in regard to the student body.

Do you have access to the Admitted Student Site? This year they released a fairly comprehensive survey on where students live.

And the Northwestern Class of 2014 thread has a lot of discussion of apartments and neighborhoods.

lawstudento

Postby lawstudento » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:41 pm

I do have access to the admitted students site but haven't had a chance to do anything more than set-up my ID and email. I'll have to check into it. If there is student housing, I'll definitely try to get into that unless it is just beyond exorbitant.

I'll also check out the 2014 thread. Thanks!

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:14 am

lawstudento wrote:I do have access to the admitted students site but haven't had a chance to do anything more than set-up my ID and email. I'll have to check into it. If there is student housing, I'll definitely try to get into that unless it is just beyond exorbitant.

There's one grad student dorm for students with families by the law school. The other grad dorms are at the Evanston campus, which is far enough away to make commuting pretty unreasonable.
The apartments nearest campus in Streeterville are luxury high-rises, but that seems to be where most 1Ls (and a fair number of 2Ls and 3Ls) live. A lot of people live in the surrounding neighborhoods and take public transportation in. You trade a couple hundred in rent for convenience by living in Streeterville.

tyro

Postby tyro » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:49 am

Ever ate at Fiesta Mexicana?

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:09 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
lawstudento wrote:I do have access to the admitted students site but haven't had a chance to do anything more than set-up my ID and email. I'll have to check into it. If there is student housing, I'll definitely try to get into that unless it is just beyond exorbitant.

There's one grad student dorm for students with families by the law school. The other grad dorms are at the Evanston campus, which is far enough away to make commuting pretty unreasonable.
The apartments nearest campus in Streeterville are luxury high-rises, but that seems to be where most 1Ls (and a fair number of 2Ls and 3Ls) live. A lot of people live in the surrounding neighborhoods and take public transportation in. You trade a couple hundred in rent for convenience by living in Streeterville.

860 N DeWitt and 215 Chestnut (among others) aren't luxury high-rises.

Postby 09042014 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:12 am

IAFG wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

860 Dewitt makes me feel like I stepped into a time machine.

But what is the definition of luxury high rise.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:02 pm

IAFG wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

Well, true enough, I guess. But their prices aren't that far off from the ones that really are, compared to what you get if you move a mile north or whatever. And I'm just sort of generalizing from my online apartment hunts since I haven't actually seen any in person yet.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:19 pm

After negotiating a good move-in deal, my 1BR was $1220/month (1k sq ft, 5 minute walk max). I didn't find that to be dramatically more expensive than apartments further north that also were near public transportation. But, I hate commuting, so I would rather spent the extra money and be a quick walk from school.

tww909

Postby tww909 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:52 pm

Any impressions on how transfers do at oci?

I'm top 5% at another big ten school, so employers should be at least minimally familiar with people from my school.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:03 pm

If you don't mind a short commute, you can move a mile west and pay ~$1000 for really nice 1-bedrooms that would be $1500+ in Streeterville.

I am biased because I HATE Streeterville, but if your objective is finding a nice place to live on a student budget, I absolutely recommend looking elsewhere.

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:10 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:If you don't mind a short commute, you can move a mile west and pay ~$1000 for really nice 1-bedrooms that would be $1500+ in Streeterville.

I am biased because I HATE Streeterville, but if your objective is finding a nice place to live on a student budget, I absolutely recommend looking elsewhere.

Why the hate? Do you hate a bubble mentality taht develops or are there things innate to the neihborhood you don't like?

lawstudento

Postby lawstudento » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:57 pm

I'm looking to share a 2 or 3 bedroom with other NU students, so the cost should hopefully be under control.

I definitely want to be close to the school and whatever goes on in the area.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:30 pm

splitmuch wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:If you don't mind a short commute, you can move a mile west and pay ~$1000 for really nice 1-bedrooms that would be $1500+ in Streeterville.

Why the hate? Do you hate a bubble mentality taht develops or are there things innate to the neihborhood you don't like?

It is absurdly overpriced, and the neighborhood itself is essentially suburbia with tall buildings. There is no other neighborhood in the city (unless you are working in the loop) where your lunch options are going to be Chipotle, Panera or McDonald's. Yes, Streeterville is close to school and the lake, but other than that I can find very little to like about it.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:31 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:your lunch options are going to be Chipotle, Panera or McDonald's.

And Chick-fil-A!

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:42 pm

Question for current students: when the Decepticons invaded Chicago, did most NU law students kneel before their new masters, or did they bravely yet foolishly attempt to resist?

Rose Tyler

Postby Rose Tyler » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:24 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
splitmuch wrote:

It is absurdly overpriced, and the neighborhood itself is essentially suburbia with tall buildings. There is no other neighborhood in the city (unless you are working in the loop) where your lunch options are going to be Chipotle, Panera or McDonald's. Yes, Streeterville is close to school and the lake, but other than that I can find very little to like about it.

For me, the commute makes Streeterville worth the extra cost, and being next to Mich Ave where I can spend money I don't really have helps too

Postby 09042014 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:34 am

Holly Golightly wrote:
splitmuch wrote:

Your neighborhood is just as white washed.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:10 am

Holly Golightly wrote:
splitmuch wrote:

Basil Thai? D4? The deli under John Handcock? Dao? India House? Chestnut St Café?

I personally like Streeterville a lot. But, I admittedly like generic places.

descartesb4thehorse

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:14 am

IAFG wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:
splitmuch wrote:

Basil Thai? D4? The deli under John Handcock? Dao? India House? Chestnut St Café?

I personally like Streeterville a lot. But, I admittedly like generic places.

Is Handcock some sort of Freudian thing I'm missing?

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:16 am

descartesb4thehorse wrote:Is Handcock some sort of Freudian thing I'm missing?

just a drunken typo. 4 whiskey rocks in.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:51 pm

Bumi wrote:Question for current students: when the Decepticons invaded Chicago, did most NU law students kneel before their new masters, or did they bravely yet foolishly attempt to resist?

Looks like they missed the law school. That's promising.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”