Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
robotclubmember

Re: Northwestern Students Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby robotclubmember » Tue May 10, 2011 2:23 pm

bdubs wrote:
robotclubmember wrote:Is it possible to cross-register into an undergrad course at NU? Not something I'd consider doing 1L, but during 2L/3L, I'd be interested in taking a course in the school of communication. NU's comm program is world class, why not? At a minimum you'd get a chance to meet the future Stephen Colberts and Jerry Springers of the world :p

It would be somewhat of a challenge because you would have to commute to Evanston from the NU Law campus, but there is a shuttle bus and some public transit options. I would imagine that you are probably able to register for a few courses outside of the law school though.

Good point. Does anyone know how long it takes to go from one campus to the other? I'm guessing I could bike it in ~50 minutes but won't always want to do that and weather won't always permit.

robotclubmember

Postby robotclubmember » Tue May 10, 2011 2:24 pm

Bumi wrote:I was planning to do the same, until I saw this.

I feel your pain and I return it with a renewed sense of outrage.

ArghItsBlarg

Postby ArghItsBlarg » Tue May 10, 2011 2:34 pm

Fech. Gutless bureaucrats. That class was awesome.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Fri May 13, 2011 10:45 am

Anyone want to comment on the writing competition this year?

How was it?
What was the topic?
Does 1L do anything to prepare you for the bluebooking exercise?

Postby 09042014 » Fri May 13, 2011 1:57 pm

bdubs wrote:Anyone want to comment on the writing competition this year?

How was it?
What was the topic?

Awful

Warrant-less GPS tracking, and the editing portion was about medical monitoring and privacy.

No. In fact they teach us how to do citations in a different manner all year then after finals say, LOL JK learn bluebook now.

Upton Sinclair

Postby Upton Sinclair » Fri May 13, 2011 2:03 pm

Anyone know why Lakeshore Plaza is cheaper than many of the Streeterville apartment buildings? Is it gah-bage or what?

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Fri May 13, 2011 2:23 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

How was it?
What was the topic?

Awful

Warrant-less GPS tracking, and the editing portion was about medical monitoring and privacy.

No. In fact they teach us how to do citations in a different manner all year then after finals say, LOL JK learn bluebook now.

Something to look forward to :-) Hope that it ends up going well for you though.

Flustercluck

Postby Flustercluck » Fri May 13, 2011 2:25 pm

Upton Sinclair wrote:Anyone know why Lakeshore Plaza is cheaper than many of the Streeterville apartment buildings? Is it gah-bage or what?

I checked it out, it just seemed older (although not old, it felt like late 70s early 80s build). The units were also smaller, as in their 1BRs were the same SQFT as studios in other Streeterville buildings. Also, least impressive fitness center of the buildings I toured.

Postby 09042014 » Fri May 13, 2011 4:05 pm

Upton Sinclair wrote:Anyone know why Lakeshore Plaza is cheaper than many of the Streeterville apartment buildings? Is it gah-bage or what?

It has section 8 housing which many people don't like, and there is a building being constructed across the street.

It's a nice building though. Big studios, it's clean, and reasonable rent. I think it's a good choice for the area. But I think 860 Dewitt has cheaper places, especially 1 beds.

Postby 09042014 » Fri May 13, 2011 4:08 pm

Flustercluck wrote:

I checked it out, it just seemed older (although not old, it felt like late 70s early 80s build). The units were also smaller, as in their 1BRs were the same SQFT as studios in other Streeterville buildings. Also, least impressive fitness center of the buildings I toured.

The fitness center blows. Also it has electric heat, which kinda blows.

Upton Sinclair

Postby Upton Sinclair » Fri May 13, 2011 4:10 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

It has section 8 housing which many people don't like, and there is a building being constructed across the street.

It's a nice building though. Big studios, it's clean, and reasonable rent. I think it's a good choice for the area. But I think 860 Dewitt has cheaper places, especially 1 beds.

Cool, I'm just trying to decide if I need to make a trip over to Chicago to sign a lease. I'm being cheap and trying to avoid it, but I know if I sign something without looking at the place first, I'll probably screw myself. Not that any of these places are bad, I'm just unreasonably picky when it comes to deciding on a place to live that I can't afford.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri May 13, 2011 4:17 pm

bdubs wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

How was it?
What was the topic?

Awful

Something to look forward to :-) Hope that it ends up going well for you though.

It is the worst thing to ever exist and I highly recommend that everyone do JTIP's provisional program, work hard at it, and accept their offers.
Last edited by Holly Golightly on Fri May 13, 2011 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Fri May 13, 2011 5:18 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
bdubs wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

How was it?
What was the topic?

Awful

It is the worst thing to ever exist and I highly recommend that everyone do JTIP's provisional program, work hard at it, and accept their offers.

What's a JTIP?

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Fri May 13, 2011 5:19 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:

What's a JTIP?

http://www.law.northwestern.edu/njtip/

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri May 13, 2011 5:23 pm

bdubs wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:What's a JTIP?

And they offer a provisional program that you can do spring semester of 1L year in lieu of doing write-on.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Fri May 13, 2011 5:29 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
bdubs wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:What's a JTIP?

And they offer a provisional program that you can do spring semester of 1L year in lieu of doing write-on.

good to know, thanks to both of you!

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri May 13, 2011 5:39 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

How was it?
What was the topic?

Awful

I honestly didn't think this was going to be that bad. It was worse than I could have imagined. The fact that they start it immediately after finals is just plain evil. I was brain-dead before I even started.

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Fri May 13, 2011 5:48 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

How was it?
What was the topic?

Awful

I honestly didn't think this was going to be that bad. It was worse than I could have imagined. The fact that they start it immediately after finals is just plain evil. I was brain-dead before I even started.

I dunno, I think if you treat it more like a job and work on it during the day and are relatively efficient in your work it is not too terrible. Problem is it is so hard to be motivated to do that after finals.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri May 13, 2011 6:01 pm

D-hops wrote: dunno, I think if you treat it more like a job and work on it during the day and are relatively efficient in your work it is not too terrible. Problem is it is so hard to be motivated to do that after finals.

Not starting until Monday was a problem.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Fri May 13, 2011 6:09 pm

Law Review is grade on plus write on, correct? Like you need to be good at both to get it?

Also: if Justice Stevens graduated in 2 years from Northwestern, does that mean the AJD's can claim a SCOTUS justice among their alumni?

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri May 13, 2011 6:18 pm

Bumi wrote:Law Review is grade on plus write on, correct? Like you need to be good at both to get it?

Also: if Justice Stevens graduated in 2 years from Northwestern, does that mean the AJD's can claim a SCOTUS justice among their alumni?

Most of the spots for LR are half grade-on half write-on, but there are a few purely write-on spots available.

lol, AJDs.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon May 16, 2011 4:35 pm

Sounds a lot like my department's ongoing search for a new department director, which has me "temporarily" (for a year now) being supervised by a crazy person while my real supervisor serves as interim director. Supposedly they're going to hire one of this latest batch of interviewees. They promise.

Postby 09042014 » Mon May 16, 2011 4:39 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:

Sounds a lot like my department's ongoing search for a new department director, which has me "temporarily" (for a year now) being supervised by a crazy person while my real supervisor serves as interim director. Supposedly they're going to hire one of this latest batch of interviewees. They promise.

The only thing crazy about Int. Dean Yurako is her hair.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Mon May 16, 2011 5:22 pm

Interim Dean Yuracko has done a great job. DVZ left some big shoes to fill, in terms of hos much control he had over the law school, and it's a credit to dean Y. That students scarcely noticed the changeover.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”