Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
ArghItsBlarg

Re: Northwestern Students Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby ArghItsBlarg » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:06 am

I had a strong hunch that Holly might have been in my "Tell it like it is" section. A-D?

I know I met and sat next to someone (Rinkrat? "Tall chick with curly hair" rather narrowed down the candidates) from here, but decided not to out myself to anyone as a TLS'er. I honestly couldn't recall who was what description, and I found myself more in conversations with existing students/faculty anyway.

For anyone interested, I was the AJD guy with thinning black hair and goatee with brown slacks, buttondown and a dark red vest.

Looking forward to attending!

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:07 am

cubswin wrote:
Bumi wrote:
EarlCat wrote:
Did you miss the bonus? Corsair was on campus both days.

I went 120 for the weekend. My strategy was to find Northwestern students who are hilarious and smart and like to drink. This does not narrow it down.

Did you actually ask anyone something like "So, this is probably a weird question, but are you Desert Fox?"

This would not have been the first time he has been asked that question. The man has fans.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:11 am

ArghItsBlarg wrote:I had a strong hunch that Holly might have been in my "Tell it like it is" section. A-D?

I know I met and sat next to someone (Rinkrat? "Tall chick with curly hair" rather narrowed down the candidates) from here, but decided not to out myself to anyone as a TLS'er. I honestly couldn't recall who was what description, and I found myself more in conversations with existing students/faculty anyway.

For anyone interested, I was the AJD guy with thinning black hair and goatee with brown slacks, buttondown and a dark red vest.

totally picked you out and somehow thought, I bet that's argh! congrats on the decision

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:22 pm

ArghItsBlarg wrote:I had a strong hunch that Holly might have been in my "Tell it like it is" section. A-D?

Captain Morgan?

ArghItsBlarg

Postby ArghItsBlarg » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:10 pm

Yarr.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:01 pm

Pretty sure I remember you...you sat on my right in the clerkship/academia talk, I think? And I asked you if you knew about LRAP?

I ran into one other guy thinking about AJD, in my tell-it-like-it-is session. Didn't catch his name...Asian guy.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:05 pm

Did you guys really not tell each other your TLS usernames?

ArghItsBlarg

Postby ArghItsBlarg » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:09 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:

Pretty sure I remember you...you sat on my right in the clerkship/academia talk, I think? And I asked you if you knew about LRAP?

I ran into one other guy thinking about AJD, in my tell-it-like-it-is session. Didn't catch his name...Asian guy.

That was me. I just couldn't think of a non-goofy way of bringing up TLS, and decided that it wasn't that important.

TUP

Postby TUP » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:29 pm

How is CA placement (specifically LA) without ties? I realize this is probably a small sample size, but I'm wondering if it happens.

ArghItsBlarg

Postby ArghItsBlarg » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:54 pm

I can't speak as to how placement is currently or to the specifics of inter-California placement, but the career services rep at ASW mentioned that NU has been making a concerted push to get more California firms to show up for OCI. He also indicated that NU has met with some success in this endeavor.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:52 pm

TUP wrote:How is CA placement (specifically LA) without ties? I realize this is probably a small sample size, but I'm wondering if it happens.

This is also anecdotal, but I talked with a 3L this weekend who did 1l summer with a judge in LA, and split his second summer with the same judge...he had to hustle some to get his paying gig..ymmv I guess

EarlCat

Postby EarlCat » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:10 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
TUP wrote:How is CA placement (specifically LA) without ties? I realize this is probably a small sample size, but I'm wondering if it happens.

This is also anecdotal, but I talked with a 3L this weekend who did 1l summer with a judge in LA, and split his second summer with the same judge...he had to hustle some to get his paying gig..ymmv I guess

That was me. :) My paying gig was in Texas, not LA. Texas is VERY insular, and I had NO ties there, so it was a tough sell.

The only LA connection I had before externing was a semester I did 10 years earlier in undergrad. FWIW, I got two firm callbacks in LA, one from off-campus OCI (which I highly recommend going to), and the other from a friend who works at a firm getting me a screening interview.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:37 am

EarlCat wrote:That was me. :)

I never would've put that together! Hope you didn't lose any money on the pizza.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:42 am

Also anecdotal, but I talked to a 2L who is summering this year in LA with no ties.

EarlCat

Postby EarlCat » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:35 am

homestyle28 wrote:
EarlCat wrote:That was me. :)

I never would've put that together! Hope you didn't lose any money on the pizza.

Nope, it all worked out. (I think the other 3L even got his for free, haha).

ArghItsBlarg

Postby ArghItsBlarg » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:31 pm

EarlCat wrote: one from off-campus OCI (which I highly recommend going to), and the other from a friend who works at a firm getting me a screening interview.

Is it me, or should that just be called "I?"

CreativityKing

Postby CreativityKing » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:50 pm

Hi - thanks for the helpful/hilarious info so far. Do any of you happen to know anything about the transfer process to join the JD/MBA class from the 1L JD class?

Anything about transfer application success rate, necessary application components, and work experience in the class would be helpful.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:03 pm

CreativityKing wrote:Hi - thanks for the helpful/hilarious info so far. Do any of you happen to know anything about the transfer process to join the JD/MBA class from the 1L JD class?

Anything about transfer application success rate, necessary application components, and work experience in the class would be helpful.

I don't know anything about the 1L application process, but the class seems to be comprised primarily of people with 3-6 years of WE.

Some of us are non-traditional for business school (generally government or non-profit) but the rest seem to have experience in typical MBA type fields (consulting, finance, engineering, etc.)

Clearly GMAT will be a necessary component. I would imagine they will also ask you to submit the standard JD/MBA application essays, and will probably look at your first semester 1L grades.

taw856

Postby taw856 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:07 pm

Challenge for admits: longest beard on Day 1 of class.

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:09 pm

ArghItsBlarg wrote:
EarlCat wrote: one from off-campus OCI (which I highly recommend going to), and the other from a friend who works at a firm getting me a screening interview.

Is it me, or should that just be called "I?"

hahaha +1

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:11 pm

taw856 wrote:Challenge for admits: longest beard on Day 1 of class.

If you grow your beard now, how can you grow the playoff beard for finals?

taw856

Postby taw856 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:41 pm

D-hops wrote:

Inverse goatee?

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:12 pm

D-hops wrote:

Face beard now, neck beard for finals.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:38 pm

Bumi wrote:
D-hops wrote:

Face beard now, neck beard for finals.

While I believe this is TCR, it precludes that precious marriage lovin that I'll need to sustain myself during 1L, so I'm out of the beard competition regrettably.

EarlCat

Postby EarlCat » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:52 pm

homestyle28 wrote:While I believe this is TCR, it precludes that precious marriage lovin that I'll need to sustain myself during 1L

TMI

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”