Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
crumb cake

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby crumb cake » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:54 pm

The schedule this fall is so 2-credit heavy. There are also a ton of classes on Wednesday afternoon.

dstars823

Postby dstars823 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:56 pm

lemons wrote:does anyone happen to have a copy of the syllabus for Law, Advocacy, and Public Persuasion with DeSanto?

I took War and the First Amendment with him and I like him. I'm not a fan of public speaking, but I do want to get better. I'm hoping the syllabus might shed some light on what is required for the course.

Also, thoughts on taking evidence to prep for the bar? Would it even be helpful if it's taught by Hughes?

I was one of the people who didn't take evidence for the bar and I found it to be ok. You'll just have a slightly harder time getting certain things but if you work out your time correctly then you should be fine.

Nolachicken

Postby Nolachicken » Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:30 pm

Could anyone tell me when 1Ls will learn our sections? Also, does every 1L have the same books, or are there different books depending on which professor you have?

Mullens

Postby Mullens » Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:48 pm

Nolachicken wrote:Could anyone tell me when 1Ls will learn our sections? Also, does every 1L have the same books, or are there different books depending on which professor you have?

Different books by professor. I'd recommend waiting to buy supplements too because some professors will recommend specific ones for their classes and there are professors who's teaching is considerably different than some popular supplements. You should find out sections fairly soon. They usually wait until late in the summer so that the wait movement is done and they can sort everyone along demographic lines.

James.K.Polk

Postby James.K.Polk » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:37 am

Edit.
Last edited by James.K.Polk on Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

itsmako

Postby itsmako » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:33 pm

Kenga wrote:SECTION 1
Torts (Player)
Crim (Tuerkheimer)
Contracts (Lupo)
Civ Pro (Redish)

SECTION 2
Contracts (Markell)
Torts (Shapo)
Civ Pro (Hoskins)
Crim (Nadler)

SECTION 3
Property (Shoked)
Civ Pro (Provenzano)
Torts (Friedman)
Contracts (Nzelibe)

SECTION 4
Contracts (Kadens)
Civ Pro (Pfander)
Property (Dana)
Torts (Mulaney)

Obviously we have no control over which one we're going to be placed into, but can any older students/alumni shed any light on what to expect with these sections? From what I've heard so far, it seems like 1 and 4 are the better ones.

Could anyone tell me more about the section 2 profs? Thanks!

Kinky John

Postby Kinky John » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:51 pm

itsmako wrote:Could anyone tell me more about the section 2 profs? Thanks!

I think you all have access to CTEs on CAESAR. It's on the bottom left-hand side, click on "Search Course and Teacher Evaluations." I recommend going through those first and if you have any specific questions after, ask away.

itsmako

Postby itsmako » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:55 pm

Kinky John wrote:
itsmako wrote:Could anyone tell me more about the section 2 profs? Thanks!

I think you all have access to CTEs on CAESAR. It's on the bottom left-hand side, click on "Search Course and Teacher Evaluations." I recommend going through those first and if you have any specific questions after, ask away.

Thanks! I will check those out. :)

Nolachicken

Postby Nolachicken » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:25 pm

Mullens wrote:
Nolachicken wrote:Could anyone tell me when 1Ls will learn our sections? Also, does every 1L have the same books, or are there different books depending on which professor you have?

Different books by professor. I'd recommend waiting to buy supplements too because some professors will recommend specific ones for their classes and there are professors who's teaching is considerably different than some popular supplements. You should find out sections fairly soon. They usually wait until late in the summer so that the wait movement is done and they can sort everyone along demographic lines.

Thank you! One more question, now that we have our sections, where are the required textbooks listed?

Sourire

Postby Sourire » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:55 pm

itsmako wrote:
Could anyone tell me more about the section 2 profs? Thanks!

I had Markell, Shapo, and Hoskins last year -- would be happy to answer specific questions you might have!

MT Cicero

Postby MT Cicero » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:14 pm

Nolachicken wrote:
Mullens wrote:

Thank you! One more question, now that we have our sections, where are the required textbooks listed?

Go to the NU Chicago bookstore here: http://abbotthall.bncollege.com/webapp/ ... &langId=-1

Then look up your textbooks by class/section (make sure you select "Law Fall 2016" for the semester). Some professors are slower than others posting their textbooks, but I'm sure many have posted by now.

yyyuppp

Postby yyyuppp » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:28 pm

MT Cicero wrote:
Nolachicken wrote:
Mullens wrote:

Go to the NU Chicago bookstore here: http://abbotthall.bncollege.com/webapp/ ... &langId=-1

Then look up your textbooks by class/section (make sure you select "Law Fall 2016" for the semester). Some professors are slower than others posting their textbooks, but I'm sure many have posted by now.

whats the thought on renting/buying used books for 1L if the professor lists a casebook "with access"? I'd really prefer to not buy a new one. Amazon can't guarantee passwords and supplemental materials with used or rented casebooks.

cookiejar1

Postby cookiejar1 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:07 pm

I would just go for renting / buying it used. I don't think having the "online access" supplement is ever necessary.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:47 pm

Question for current students: Which day of classes do we have for next Friday? Do we have Friday classes, or Monday classes? So confused.

MT Cicero

Postby MT Cicero » Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:01 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Question for current students: Which day of classes do we have for next Friday? Do we have Friday classes, or Monday classes? So confused.

It's going to be Friday classes, though my only source is comparing the academic calendars from this year to how it generally works. That, and they generally tell us on the calendar if we're following a different day's schedule.

If you look at next year on the academic calendar, the last Tuesday/Wednesday of the fall semester follows the Thursday/Friday class schedule (I think this is generally the case). This year, the last Tuesday/Wednesday go Tuesday/Thursday to make up for this Friday the 26th replacing the Tuesday "Day of Civic Service" for election day, which we have off.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:18 pm

Can someone who has taken the SCOTUS clinic PM me about the grading?

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:18 am

lemons wrote:does anyone happen to have a copy of the syllabus for Law, Advocacy, and Public Persuasion with DeSanto?

I took War and the First Amendment with him and I like him. I'm not a fan of public speaking, but I do want to get better. I'm hoping the syllabus might shed some light on what is required for the course.

Also, thoughts on taking evidence to prep for the bar? Would it even be helpful if it's taught by Hughes?

The class is absolutely amazing, but outlines for it aren't a thing. There's no exam.

crumb cake

Postby crumb cake » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:36 pm

Can someone who has taken Commercial RE Finance PM me?

Chrstgtr

Postby Chrstgtr » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:38 pm

Anyone take Education Law? How is the grading?

personofinterest

Postby personofinterest » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:36 pm

Could someone please PM me a Foster-Legal Ethics outline? Thanks!

PallasAthena

Postby PallasAthena » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:45 am

personofinterest wrote:Could someone please PM me a Foster-Legal Ethics outline? Thanks!

+1 Would love to have Foster's Ethics outline too! Thanks!

petitprince

Postby petitprince » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:13 pm

Hi there!
I am not quite sure how this thread works - would it be not welcome to ask for PS advice/review here?
I am aiming for 2017 entry and currently working through my applications. ED Northwestern is currently one of my top choices. Would really appreciate if someone can offer some advice on my PS/other materials, or is willing to have a chat when I visit the school in early October - please write me a private message!

Thanks a ton, :)

KunAgnis

Postby KunAgnis » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:36 am

Can anyone say how hard is it to ace Luben's ITA course? The consistent amount of work we do is getting in the way of me 2LOL'ing...just wondered if it's an easy effort class.

masterherm

Postby masterherm » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:17 pm

What's the deal with summer grades?

Kinky John

Postby Kinky John » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:46 pm

masterherm wrote:What's the deal with summer grades?

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=142200&start=8825#p8037225

It was the third Friday of September in 2014. Could be this Friday, who knows.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”