Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Budfox55

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Budfox55 » Mon May 02, 2016 5:44 pm

urbanist11 wrote:Anyone have any hot leads on property management companies in Lakeview/Lincoln Park area that aren't shitty? I've seen a ton of bad reviews online for some of the larger ones (Reside, BJB, ICM). TYIA.

Also interested in Gold Coast as well. Thanks!

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Tue May 03, 2016 12:02 pm

Budfox55 wrote:
urbanist11 wrote:Anyone have any hot leads on property management companies in Lakeview/Lincoln Park area that aren't shitty? I've seen a ton of bad reviews online for some of the larger ones (Reside, BJB, ICM). TYIA.

Also interested in Gold Coast as well. Thanks!

My BJB building is good, perhaps exceptionally good. PM me for my address. Property manager is very responsive and so are the repairs. Rent is $1575 for 1 br/1 ba in River North/Gold Coast, 12 minute walk to school, 5 minute walk to red line.

Budfox55

Postby Budfox55 » Thu May 05, 2016 10:23 am

0L here...how difficult would it be to land a SA offer at a Chicago firm if you have no ties to Chicago other than NU and you intern in a different city 1L summer? Obviously grades will play a huge role, but just generally speaking.

personofinterest

Postby personofinterest » Thu May 05, 2016 11:25 am

Budfox55 wrote:0L here...how difficult would it be to land a SA offer at a Chicago firm if you have no ties to Chicago other than NU and you intern in a different city 1L summer? Obviously grades will play a huge role, but just generally speaking.

It's probably not that hard since you'll be going to school in Chicago, though posters w personal experience can speak to that better. The question is, if you want to end up in Chicaho, why wouldn't you spend 1L summer in Chicago?

Budfox55

Postby Budfox55 » Thu May 05, 2016 11:33 am

personofinterest wrote:
Budfox55 wrote:0L here...how difficult would it be to land a SA offer at a Chicago firm if you have no ties to Chicago other than NU and you intern in a different city 1L summer? Obviously grades will play a huge role, but just generally speaking.

It's probably not that hard since you'll be going to school in Chicago, though posters w personal experience can speak to that better. The question is, if you want to end up in Chicaho, why wouldn't you spend 1L summer in Chicago?

I haven't spent enough time in Chicago to know for sure that it is where I want to be after law school. I'm also very interested in another city, however I haven't spent enough time in that city either. So I want to have my cake and eat it too by seeing how I like Chicago after a year and interning in the other city 1L summer. Then decide before OCI which city I prefer.

star fox

Postby star fox » Thu May 05, 2016 6:58 pm

If you want to stay in Chicago you should spend the summer in Chicago to solidify your tie to the city... but it's probably not life or death. I would try and figure this out before

star fox

Postby star fox » Fri May 06, 2016 11:10 am

Anyone know when our CTA Pass becomes a No Go?

PallasAthena

Postby PallasAthena » Fri May 06, 2016 12:02 pm

star fox wrote:Anyone know when our CTA Pass becomes a No Go?

Last edited by PallasAthena on Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

JustThisOnce777

Postby JustThisOnce777 » Fri May 13, 2016 2:34 am

Anyone know when the Honors/Coif lists are supposed to come out? I searched back in the thread and couldn't peg it.

onionz

Postby onionz » Fri May 13, 2016 3:00 am

JustThisOnce777 wrote:Anyone know when the Honors/Coif lists are supposed to come out? I searched back in the thread and couldn't peg it.

I really enjoy that you created an account, called "JustThisOnce" to ask just this question. On the morning of graduation no less!

I suspect they come out when grades do roughly. This document last year was uploaded around June 20th, 2015: https://www.law.northwestern.edu/regist ... s_list.pdf

bananasplit19

Postby bananasplit19 » Sat May 14, 2016 6:50 pm

Does anyone know off the top of their head when student health insurance runs out? As a new graduate (still hasn't settled in yet...congrats, C/O 2016!), I anticipate getting hilariously drunk and probably needing medical attention for various bodily injuries over the next few days. It would be nice if the school would cover that.

If not, what is everyone doing? COBRA? Risking it sans insurance?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat May 14, 2016 9:19 pm

bananasplit19 wrote:Does anyone know off the top of their head when student health insurance runs out? As a new graduate (still hasn't settled in yet...congrats, C/O 2016!), I anticipate getting hilariously drunk and probably needing medical attention for various bodily injuries over the next few days. It would be nice if the school would cover that.

I want to say that it lasted through the summer, since you paid the same in the fall as you did the previous two years. But that's a super vague memory, so don't depend on it.

Calvin Murphy

Postby Calvin Murphy » Sat May 14, 2016 9:49 pm

bananasplit19 wrote:Does anyone know off the top of their head when student health insurance runs out? As a new graduate (still hasn't settled in yet...congrats, C/O 2016!), I anticipate getting hilariously drunk and probably needing medical attention for various bodily injuries over the next few days. It would be nice if the school would cover that.

I think coverage began on August 1 (maybe September 1?), so I would assume through the end of July (and potentially the end of August).

Betharl

Postby Betharl » Sat May 14, 2016 9:56 pm

Health insurance coverage lasts the full year, so I believe until Sept 1. If you are going to be covered by a post-grad employer, you should look into cancelling your student coverage (or making sure not to enroll in your employer's program until 9/1, so you don't pay for double coverage). Personally, I think our student insurance is ridiculously overpriced and I never use it, so I am cancelling the final term and going with my employer's, much cheaper, high-deductible plan.

mickey_mouse

Postby mickey_mouse » Wed May 18, 2016 8:15 am

Just got the email saying that I turned in an exam one minute late. Is this a huge deal, and do I respond to the email at all? Is the professor going to make a big deal out of it or dock me points?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed May 18, 2016 8:57 am

mickey_mouse wrote:Just got the email saying that I turned in an exam one minute late. Is this a huge deal, and do I respond to the email at all? Is the professor going to make a big deal out of it or dock me points?

DID you turn it in late? If not, and it was a technical glitch, you should go to the exam support room on campus and prove it with your file timestamps. (I had one exam never upload, despite getting a confirmation email, and I had to take my laptop to campus and let them see the saved file timestamp and the email, and give them the file in person.)
If you were actually late, it probably depends on the professor whether/how much they will choose to care about one minute.
For future reference, don't cut it that close. The last 15 words you typed were likely not worth turning it in late.

GoCats56

Postby GoCats56 » Wed May 18, 2016 2:23 pm

mickey_mouse wrote:Just got the email saying that I turned in an exam one minute late. Is this a huge deal, and do I respond to the email at all? Is the professor going to make a big deal out of it or dock me points?

Minor time violations generally aren't a big deal -- the school tells the professor that exam #xxx took y extra minutes, and the professor decides what if any consequences are appropriate. Just in case though, I would e-mail Cliff explaining that it was an accident and so on. I self-reported a minor time violation to Cliff and everything was fine—he seemed to appreciate me coming forward.

Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy

Postby Desert Fox » Wed May 18, 2016 2:29 pm

My buddy turned in an exam like an hour late. Thought it was a three hour, but the rules said two hour. Nothing bad happened, the professor was informed for grading purposes and the prof just took it into account. Gave him an A-.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri May 20, 2016 2:17 pm

Mullens wrote:
FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Can any 2 or 3Ls comment on doing a judicial practicum first semester 2L? Too much work/not worth it? I wanna max out my GPA for clerkship applications with as little effort as possible, but also don't want too many puff classes on my transcript.

Wait until your grades come back. If you're super competitive, you'll probably start applying in the fall before you get your first round of 2L grades.

Holy fuck, seriously? That's insanely early (and pretty dumb). I'm glad most judges still abided by plan when I was applying.

JustThisSecondTime

Postby JustThisSecondTime » Fri May 20, 2016 4:35 pm

.......................................Coif Cut Off? Taking bids...........................

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri May 20, 2016 4:53 pm

JustThisSecondTime wrote:.......................................Coif Cut Off? Taking bids...........................

I think it was like 4.3 my year.

Stop stressing and go drink.

calgoldenbear

Postby calgoldenbear » Wed May 25, 2016 9:59 pm

Hello NU community! What qualities would you say Northwestern values the most in it's students and alumni? I've read the interviews, forums, website, etc. but would like to hear from this sample of students/alumni. Thanks!

Mullens

Postby Mullens » Wed May 25, 2016 10:23 pm

calgoldenbear wrote:Hello NU community! What qualities would you say Northwestern values the most in it's students and alumni? I've read the interviews, forums, website, etc. but would like to hear from this sample of students/alumni. Thanks!

Money.

What kind of answer are you looking for here?

crumb cake

Postby crumb cake » Thu May 26, 2016 12:39 am

GoCats56 wrote:

Minor time violations generally aren't a big deal -- the school tells the professor that exam #xxx took y extra minutes, and the professor decides what if any consequences are appropriate. Just in case though, I would e-mail Cliff explaining that it was an accident and so on. I self-reported a minor time violation to Cliff and everything was fine—he seemed to appreciate me coming forward.

I have also self-reported a minor time violation. The exam center has sheets you can fill out and they will "investigate" (i.e., right click the file and view properties) to make sure it doesn't look like you cheated.

LTL2018

Postby LTL2018 » Thu May 26, 2016 1:05 am

Are secondary journals worth it? Curious to hear how OCI went for those of you who elected not to do a journal and did not participate in moot court. Does it change things if you're solely focused on transactional?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”