Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Calvin Murphy

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Calvin Murphy » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:21 pm

Graduates, if you have the courage to go on ATL for any amount of time, please go vote for a follies video from this year. Also share with your friends. http://abovethelaw.com/2016/04/law-revue-video-contest-2016-the-finalists/2/

1Ls and 2Ls and 3Ls should vote, too...but the list-serv is taking care of that demo.

urbanist11

Postby urbanist11 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:33 am

Hey guys! I recall hearing at ASW that NU Law students can participate in clinics at any other Chicago law schools. Did I hear that correctly? Has anyone done this before that can comment on it, specifically at UChicago? Would it be an insane time drag?

Thanks!

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:27 am

urbanist11 wrote:Hey guys! I recall hearing at ASW that NU Law students can participate in clinics at any other Chicago law schools. Did I hear that correctly? Has anyone done this before that can comment on it, specifically at UChicago? Would it be an insane time drag?

Thanks!

I really don't know anything about whether or not you can do it; I've never heard of anyone doing that, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. That said, I'm not sure why you would want to waste that much time getting down to Hyde Park, likely multiple times per week, when NU has a ton of amazing clinics itself.

urbanist11

Postby urbanist11 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:29 am

Holly Golightly wrote:
urbanist11 wrote:Hey guys! I recall hearing at ASW that NU Law students can participate in clinics at any other Chicago law schools. Did I hear that correctly? Has anyone done this before that can comment on it, specifically at UChicago? Would it be an insane time drag?

Thanks!

I really don't know anything about whether or not you can do it; I've never heard of anyone doing that, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. That said, I'm not sure why you would want to waste that much time getting down to Hyde Park, likely multiple times per week, when NU has a ton of amazing clinics itself.

Fair enough! The clinic specifically relates to my interests and unfortunately NU doesn't offer a comparable one.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:11 pm

Thanks!

Never heard of this. Who said it? It might be one of those "technically we can do this but no one has ever asked or knows who to ask" kind of things.

urbanist11

Postby urbanist11 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:15 pm

Micdiddy wrote:

Thanks!

Never heard of this. Who said it? It might be one of those "technically we can do this but no one has ever asked or knows who to ask" kind of things.

One of the student tour guides, though it's also possible I spaced out and misinterpreted the statement.

Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy

Postby Desert Fox » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:06 pm

urbanist11 wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:

Thanks!

One of the student tour guides, though it's also possible I spaced out and misinterpreted the statement.

Maybe they meant you can extern at any non-profit and get credit

Wipfelder

Postby Wipfelder » Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:46 pm

They did say its possible to clinic with other law schools, and that they accept people from other law schools as well. I also heard this at ASW during a student-led tour....so I don't know if that is a really a great source.

calgoldenbear

Postby calgoldenbear » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:35 pm

Hello! Northwestern is my top choice, but I am on the waitlist. Does anyone have any advice on what to do to get accepted off the waitlist?

Lexaholik

Postby Lexaholik » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:39 pm

calgoldenbear wrote:Hello! Northwestern is my top choice, but I am on the waitlist. Does anyone have any advice on what to do to get accepted off the waitlist?

I'm a NU grad who got in off the waitlist years ago. The best thing to do is (1) be prepared to wait a long time, possibly into the summer; (2) send in LOCIs expressing your love for NU. It's not much different than at many other schools, except I do know a large portion of each 1L class gets in off the WL in the summer--more so than many other schools.

calgoldenbear

Postby calgoldenbear » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:10 pm

Lexaholik wrote:
calgoldenbear wrote:Hello! Northwestern is my top choice, but I am on the waitlist. Does anyone have any advice on what to do to get accepted off the waitlist?

I'm a NU grad who got in off the waitlist years ago. The best thing to do is (1) be prepared to wait a long time, possibly into the summer; (2) send in LOCIs expressing your love for NU. It's not much different than at many other schools, except I do know a large portion of each 1L class gets in off the WL in the summer--more so than many other schools.

I should send multiple LOCIs? I feel completely lost with this whole process (first gen American/college student). Would you recommend adding a letter or rec (I sent 2 originally) or visiting the school?

personofinterest

Postby personofinterest » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:25 pm

calgoldenbear wrote:
Lexaholik wrote:

I should send multiple LOCIs? I feel completely lost with this whole process (first gen American/college student). Would you recommend adding a letter or rec (I sent 2 originally) or visiting the school?

I think visiting is a great idea if it's economically feasible and not too far away. I did and, based on timing, I think it helped. I bused though, and I'm not sure if it's worth an expensive flight. I think one LOCI is good for now. Then every couple months (particularly if you have something cool to say, like a promotion, increased GPA, etc.) write again. Improving your LSAC GPA and/or LSAT would be the best thing. If you can't, then showing you are very interested in attending can make the difference between you and someone with similar stats. Good luck!

Lexaholik

Postby Lexaholik » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:13 am

personofinterest wrote:
calgoldenbear wrote:

I think visiting is a great idea if it's economically feasible and not too far away. I did and, based on timing, I think it helped. I bused though, and I'm not sure if it's worth an expensive flight. I think one LOCI is good for now. Then every couple months (particularly if you have something cool to say, like a promotion, increased GPA, etc.) write again. Improving your LSAC GPA and/or LSAT would be the best thing. If you can't, then showing you are very interested in attending can make the difference between you and someone with similar stats. Good luck!

Basically what this poster said.

ghostoftraynor

Postby ghostoftraynor » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:17 am

urbanist11 wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:

Thanks!

I was under the impression you could take courses at other law schools, so I wouldn't see why not. Never heard of anyone actually doing that, but it seems possible.

lawstudent1124

Postby lawstudent1124 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:28 am

Does anyone have an outline for Federal Income Tax with Professor Crane?

Chicago_Dog

Postby Chicago_Dog » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:59 pm

Is Prof Muchman (ethics) a tough grader?

cookiejar1

Postby cookiejar1 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:15 pm

Chicago_Dog wrote:Is Prof Muchman (ethics) a tough grader?

Put in a good faith effort but relax knowing that ethics is no longer curved.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:31 pm

cookiejar1 wrote:

JEALOUS

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:36 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
cookiejar1 wrote:

JEALOUS
ditto
Ethics without a curve must be a total joke.

omglawskool

Postby omglawskool » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:03 pm

Anyone live in McClurg and want to split the referral? I think it is $500.
PM me if interested.

Wildcats17

Postby Wildcats17 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:20 pm

Any info on the intensive clinic this fall? the email said to reach out to the team of professors with which you want to work to see if they would be interested in working with you. I have not worked with the clinic at all so how do I go about finding these teams/ why would they want to work with me if they have never met me?

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:48 pm

Can any 2 or 3Ls comment on doing a judicial practicum first semester 2L? Too much work/not worth it? I wanna max out my GPA for clerkship applications with as little effort as possible, but also don't want too many puff classes on my transcript.

Chicago_Dog

Postby Chicago_Dog » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:58 pm

I want to take patent law (historically an uncurved class) but am concerned that the prof (pedraza-farina) will be tough on students, grade-wise, in spite of the lack of a curve. Thoughts? Insights?

Mullens

Postby Mullens » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:21 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Can any 2 or 3Ls comment on doing a judicial practicum first semester 2L? Too much work/not worth it? I wanna max out my GPA for clerkship applications with as little effort as possible, but also don't want too many puff classes on my transcript.

Wait until your grades come back. If you're super competitive, you'll probably start applying in the fall before you get your first round of 2L grades.

urbanist11

Postby urbanist11 » Mon May 02, 2016 3:17 pm

Anyone have any hot leads on property management companies in Lakeview/Lincoln Park area that aren't shitty? I've seen a ton of bad reviews online for some of the larger ones (Reside, BJB, ICM). TYIA.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”