Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Micdiddy

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Micdiddy » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:15 pm

cookiejar1 wrote:DC is just generally a more selective market. I can't speak on behalf of NU's peers, but our Career Services data suggests that DC firms prefer to extend callbacks to candidates with above average grades (and, for the powerhouse DC firms, well above average grades). Of course there are exceptions to this rule but DC seems to have a much higher cut off than their NYC counterpart firms. Getting DC is not impossible but I would not recommend anyone with less than top 30% grades to focus exclusively on DC (too risky).

Not to quibble too much because the spirit of this advice is solid. But practically nobody should "exclusively" bid DC, right? Even top 30%. Probably someone in top 5%, with ties, could get away with it (but even then throw some NY firms into your bids).
Almost no one should exclusively bid any market besides New York, imo.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:41 pm

Micdiddy wrote:
cookiejar1 wrote:DC is just generally a more selective market. I can't speak on behalf of NU's peers, but our Career Services data suggests that DC firms prefer to extend callbacks to candidates with above average grades (and, for the powerhouse DC firms, well above average grades). Of course there are exceptions to this rule but DC seems to have a much higher cut off than their NYC counterpart firms. Getting DC is not impossible but I would not recommend anyone with less than top 30% grades to focus exclusively on DC (too risky).

Not to quibble too much because the spirit of this advice is solid. But practically nobody should "exclusively" bid DC, right? Even top 30%. Probably someone in top 5%, with ties, could get away with it (but even then throw some NY firms into your bids).
Almost no one should exclusively bid any market besides New York, imo.

This is credited. I think the only people who can justify going all-in on DC are people who already have an offer in hand.

radient

Postby radient » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:35 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Plus why go to nu if you want DC area when Georgetown exists.

gtown's financial aid sucks

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:47 pm

luckenmeister wrote:Are there any summer clerks/NU alums who worked/are currently working in D.C.? From what I've read, it seems that getting to D.C. is a fairly difficult task. As I become more interested in D.C. as a final career destination, I wanted to know how attainable this actually would be, both immediately after graduation and ~3 years out.

DF is alum in DC I believe. I'm current student also DC, if you wanna PM

Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy

Postby Desert Fox » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:30 pm

You can pm me too but I'm not sure what I can say other than have good grades (or dat ip boost like me). There are less grade selective DC firms but they tend to have less SA spots and are more fit selective.

GoCats56

Postby GoCats56 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:15 am

Because Georgetown's DC BigLaw placement secretly sucks, in that it's about the worst-kept secret on earth. DC is an unbelievably snobby market, most of the firms there (and all of the elite shops) hire way, way, way, more kids from more prestigious out of town schools than they do from GULC. NU has better placement than Georgetown does in DC, grades being equal.

But seriously, MIcdiddy's response is credited. Unless you're a complete rockstar (top top grades, NULR), don't put all your eggs in the DC basket. Small class sizes and high selectivity can make for a rough go of it.

luckenmeister

Postby luckenmeister » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:28 pm

Thanks for all the awesome responses everybody, now I know what to aim for! I had one other question that I was looking for more information about. I like that NU is paired with an incredible business school, giving students an extra area of elite education. Recently, I've been toying with the idea of going for the JD/MBA next year, but have doubts as to the usefulness of this degree. First and foremost, I want to be a litigator and not much else. While I have difficulty finding the utility of the MBA in litigation (aside from maybe corp. lit.) it seems like the combination can open up more doors. Thoughts?

Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy

Postby Desert Fox » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:37 pm

GoCats56 wrote:

Because Georgetown's DC BigLaw placement secretly sucks, in that it's about the worst-kept secret on earth. DC is an unbelievably snobby market, most of the firms there (and all of the elite shops) hire way, way, way, more kids from more prestigious out of town schools than they do from GULC. NU has better placement than Georgetown does in DC, grades being equal.

But seriously, MIcdiddy's response is credited. Unless you're a complete rockstar (top top grades, NULR), don't put all your eggs in the DC basket. Small class sizes and high selectivity can make for a rough go of it.

I really doubt NU is as well regarded as Georgetown is in DC. The problem is that firms aren't taking below top third from either school, so Gtown still doesn't flood the market with grads like NU can do in Chicago and the greater midwest.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:29 pm

luckenmeister wrote:Thanks for all the awesome responses everybody, now I know what to aim for! I had one other question that I was looking for more information about. I like that NU is paired with an incredible business school, giving students an extra area of elite education. Recently, I've been toying with the idea of going for the JD/MBA next year, but have doubts as to the usefulness of this degree. First and foremost, I want to be a litigator and not much else. While I have difficulty finding the utility of the MBA in litigation (aside from maybe corp. lit.) it seems like the combination can open up more doors. Thoughts?

I don't think an MBA would be anything more than a tiebreaker for someone wanting litigation. And it would be an expensive and time-consuming tiebreaker. For example, I believe you have to take classes during your 2L summer, when you might otherwise be doing a SA. Of all the JD/MBAs I know they are coming directly from business and probably going back where they came from (think consulting, big 4 accounting, etc.).

I would ask the question in a partner hiring thread to get a better perspective from the employer side.

cookiejar1

Postby cookiejar1 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:11 am

If you're interested in litigation and/or the DC market generally then I'd pass on the MBA. It's extra time and money that won't pay immediate dividends. You can take some cross-listed Kellogg classes (e.g., Strategy / Finance / etc) to learn some of the language if you're really into talking management / finance speak but from a pure legal hiring standpoint I don't think an MBA gives you much of a boost. You're better off focusing on trying to land a great clerkship, for example.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:25 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:
luckenmeister wrote:Thanks for all the awesome responses everybody, now I know what to aim for! I had one other question that I was looking for more information about. I like that NU is paired with an incredible business school, giving students an extra area of elite education. Recently, I've been toying with the idea of going for the JD/MBA next year, but have doubts as to the usefulness of this degree. First and foremost, I want to be a litigator and not much else. While I have difficulty finding the utility of the MBA in litigation (aside from maybe corp. lit.) it seems like the combination can open up more doors. Thoughts?

I don't think an MBA would be anything more than a tiebreaker for someone wanting litigation. And it would be an expensive and time-consuming tiebreaker. For example, I believe you have to take classes during your 2L summer, when you might otherwise be doing a SA. Of all the JD/MBAs I know they are coming directly from business and probably going back where they came from (think consulting, big 4 accounting, etc.).

I would ask the question in a partner hiring thread to get a better perspective from the employer side.

I am a litigator and did the JD-MBA program. The program was fun, provided additional career options, and gives you a slight employment boost with top firms. The downside is clearly the extra expense and the fact that it doesn't really provide a lot of career value to litigators. Why do you want to be a litigator and what type of litigation do you want to practice? What is your work experience? Does it relate at all to your desired practice area?

There is also a chance that if you wind up a handful of top firms you will get a JD-MBA "bump" in salary that can help make up some of the difference in cost, but I wouldn't factor that into your decision too much.

SA2014

Postby SA2014 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:28 am

Bottom Line: If you think you'll be at top 1/3 of the class and are definitely going Lit, the JD will be good enough.
If you're going to be only medium-plus at best (like I was), and especially if also going corporate, get the MBA, because it will be a huge job-hunting boost. Don't take chances and end up striking out. It's cold out there.

Budfox55

Postby Budfox55 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:32 pm

Anyone recommend some good and not too pricey hotels for ASW? Airbnb? Thoughts would be appreciated.

Also for anyone 1Ls out there, how long did it take for you guys to get scholarship info? Thanks.

star fox

Postby star fox » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:58 pm

Budfox55 wrote:Anyone recommend some good and not too pricey hotels for ASW? Airbnb? Thoughts would be appreciated.

Also for anyone 1Ls out there, how long did it take for you guys to get scholarship info? Thanks.

Stay on someone's couch.

crumb cake

Postby crumb cake » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:19 am

Last edited by crumb cake on Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Loney M. Setnick

Postby Loney M. Setnick » Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:27 pm

Budfox55 wrote:Anyone recommend some good and not too pricey hotels for ASW? Airbnb? Thoughts would be appreciated.

If you don't have anyone to stay with, I recommend Airbnb. I've been using Airbnb for all of my travels for the past three years. As long as you read the reviews and look at the apartment photos carefully, you should be able to find somewhere to stay for cheaper and more pleasant than a hotel room.

PallasAthena

Postby PallasAthena » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:47 pm

Last edited by PallasAthena on Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mullens

Postby Mullens » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:05 pm

PallasAthena wrote:I am a 1L and I will be doing a judicial externship this summer. I know that I can't get SFPIF money for that but can I take it for class credit? If I can who should I be talking to about this? Should I email the registrar?

You need to look through your emails for anything that says Summer Judicial Practicum. I think Cindy Wilson sends out the emails. I think there was one sent on March 8th. You need to figure this out ASAP as I think the deadline might have passed but you can probably still do the class.

PallasAthena

Postby PallasAthena » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:35 pm

Mullens wrote:
PallasAthena wrote:I am a 1L and I will be doing a judicial externship this summer. I know that I can't get SFPIF money for that but can I take it for class credit? If I can who should I be talking to about this? Should I email the registrar?

You need to look through your emails for anything that says Summer Judicial Practicum. I think Cindy Wilson sends out the emails. I think there was one sent on March 8th. You need to figure this out ASAP as I think the deadline might have passed but you can probably still do the class.

Last edited by PallasAthena on Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kenga

Postby Kenga » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:05 pm

Any advice for a 0L hunting for apartments?

1. I'd like to live in a studio in Old Town, Lincoln Park, Lake View or Ukrainian Village for under $1000/mo. Is that a realistic price for those neighborhoods?
2. Are the express buses down LSD reliable (like, would I always be worried about the bus not coming during exams/important events)? How about the 66? What about in the winter?
3. I know crime has been bad across the city for the last couple months. How big would my risk of being the target of random assault/mugging be living in those neighborhoods?
4. I don't really mind commuting... I already have a ~30 minute commute for my job right now. But would I feel "left out" as a 1L being far away from Streeterville, where I assume more than half of the rest of the 1L's live?
5. I'll be in Chicago some time at the end of June or in mid-July to check out some places. Any specific building recommendations? Or any other advice generally?

star fox

Postby star fox » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:41 pm

Kenga wrote:Any advice for a 0L hunting for apartments?

1. I'd like to live in a studio in Old Town, Lincoln Park, Lake View or Ukrainian Village for under $1000/mo. Is that a realistic price for those neighborhoods?
2. Are the express buses down LSD reliable (like, would I always be worried about the bus not coming during exams/important events)? How about the 66? What about in the winter?
3. I know crime has been bad across the city for the last couple months. How big would my risk of being the target of random assault/mugging be living in those neighborhoods?
4. I don't really mind commuting... I already have a ~30 minute commute for my job right now. But would I feel "left out" as a 1L being far away from Streeterville, where I assume more than half of the rest of the 1L's live?
5. I'll be in Chicago some time at the end of June or in mid-July to check out some places. Any specific building recommendations? Or any other advice generally?

1. Yes
2. Mostly reliable unless some shit goes down, Red Line is super reliable if you can live close to that
3. Very little concern, those are all nice neighborhoods
4. No. You'll be fine. Uber and Public Transit will take care of everything.
5. Get a realtor and tell them what you want and look at places till you find something you like.

Mullens

Postby Mullens » Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:10 pm

1. If you're willing to live in an older building that doesn't have amenities, it's possible. Generally, the farther north you go the cheaper it will be.

2. The express buses are pretty reliable. I used them for a couple years and only remember one or two occasions when there was an issue. The buses can be a little slower during the rain or snow. There are bus trackers that let you see when the buses are coming and if they're delayed, giving you enough time to call an uber if you need to be somewhere. The 66 is probably the worst bus line in Chicago because it's always delayed, often bunches (so 3 buses come at once and then none come for 30 minutes), and is really slow. I would suggest avoiding the 66.

3. All the neighborhoods you listed are safe. With the exception of Ukranian Village that can be a little sketchy sometimes late at night, they are all incredibly safe. A huge majority of the violence is Chicago occurs in certain west and southside neighborhoods you will not be near.

4. I would say something like ~75% of the 1L class will live near the school. As a result, a lot of social events will happen down there. There's no reason for you to feel left out unless you refuse to go down there to hang out and make a big deal about living far away. I moved to Lincoln Park and a lot of my friends still live by the school, it's not an issue at all.

5. I used to live in a large studio at 536 W. Addison that I liked. It was around $900/mo in rent 3 or 4 years ago.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:41 pm

I''ll just echo the comments re: 4. I live 10 minutes away from the school and some of my classmates that live in Evanston (30+ minute care ride from campus) are way more social than I am. So living in those neighborhoods won't dent your opportunities to hang with people at all.

Kenga

Postby Kenga » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:44 pm

Mullens wrote:

1. If you're willing to live in an older building that doesn't have amenities, it's possible. Generally, the farther north you go the cheaper it will be.

2. The express buses are pretty reliable. I used them for a couple years and only remember one or two occasions when there was an issue. The buses can be a little slower during the rain or snow. There are bus trackers that let you see when the buses are coming and if they're delayed, giving you enough time to call an uber if you need to be somewhere. The 66 is probably the worst bus line in Chicago because it's always delayed, often bunches (so 3 buses come at once and then none come for 30 minutes), and is really slow. I would suggest avoiding the 66.

3. All the neighborhoods you listed are safe. With the exception of Ukranian Village that can be a little sketchy sometimes late at night, they are all incredibly safe. A huge majority of the violence is Chicago occurs in certain west and southside neighborhoods you will not be near.

4. I would say something like ~75% of the 1L class will live near the school. As a result, a lot of social events will happen down there. There's no reason for you to feel left out unless you refuse to go down there to hang out and make a big deal about living far away. I moved to Lincoln Park and a lot of my friends still live by the school, it's not an issue at all.

5. I used to live in a large studio at 536 W. Addison that I liked. It was around $900/mo in rent 3 or 4 years ago.

Thanks! Appreciate the advice. I was already about to rule out UKV, so hearing that about the 66 makes that a near certainty. I'll probably be living in Lake View.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:39 pm

Would love an outline for Patent Law with Lauren Pedraza-Farina if anyone has it.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”