Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
furrrman

Bronze

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Post by furrrman » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:10 pm

kennethellenparcell wrote:Damn, hope Labor Law becomes uncurved. That class will suuuuuuuck if curved. Although, honestly, you can get an A+ by doing some of the extracurricular stuff he (if still taught by Prof. Crystal) asks you to do (like go to a Board hearing and e-mailing him about your thoughts on it) and not slacking off on the final exam. Maybe saying a few things in class once in a while.

I took the Law & Econ colloqium with Litvak and it wasn't too bad as long as you consulted with her about your paper. Not sure how it will be with Friedman and Schazenbach but they seem like they would have higher expectations than Litvak. I enjoyed the class though and the papers we talked about.

I'm still mad at Foster because she curved an ethics class when it wasn't supposed to be curved with the number of people we had. I think she got pressure from the administration cause the other sections were curved but goddamit. Make ethics uncurved already! I just used outlines from outline banks though, I didn't want to waste time making an outline for a 2 credit class.
Yeah I don't think I would actually make my own outline. I'm just curious about the effort/study time required for the exam (hoping the answer is very little). My section is uncurved so I'm hoping for an easy A.

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:06 pm

furrrman wrote:Whats the final exam like for legal ethics with Foster? Does it require any actual studying/outlining, or is it ok just winging it?
Standard issue spotter. She'll tell you exactly what she's going to test. Exactly.
FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Are firm mixers worth going to (besides free booze)? I'm having a hard time seeing the value added given that all invited 1Ls will be gunning to speak with all attorneys.
A few people each year get callbacks at least partially due to connections at these mixers. Whether that makes it "worth it" depends on what else you got going on. Lastly, isn't free booze enough?

LawStudent9933

New

Post by LawStudent9933 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:30 am

Does anyone have an outline for Federal Income Tax with Crane??

Calvin Murphy

Bronze

Post by Calvin Murphy » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:24 pm

Micdiddy wrote:
furrrman wrote:Whats the final exam like for legal ethics with Foster? Does it require any actual studying/outlining, or is it ok just winging it?
Standard issue spotter. She'll tell you exactly what she's going to test. Exactly.
FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Are firm mixers worth going to (besides free booze)? I'm having a hard time seeing the value added given that all invited 1Ls will be gunning to speak with all attorneys.
A few people each year get callbacks at least partially due to connections at these mixers. Whether that makes it "worth it" depends on what else you got going on. Lastly, isn't free booze enough?
I'll second the fact that she tells you exactly what she's going to test. If you've paid marginal attention all semester and taken the MPRE, you should be fine with just a copy of the Model Rules for quick reference.

I didn't realize, though, that she has curved classes that didn't need to be curved. Last semester she gave out two written assignments that she gave a lot of A- grades on for not using the same verbiage as she would have and stuff like that, but those are only worth like 10% of your grade.

crumb cake

Bronze

Post by crumb cake » Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:53 am

Last edited by crumb cake on Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nemrac11

New

Post by nemrac11 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:46 pm

It seems like a lot of people on here have taken Labor Law with Crystal, anyone with an outline they're willing to share?

Dr. Filth

Silver

Post by Dr. Filth » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:12 pm

Fosters class isn't an easy A. Make sure to participate. She still curves the class somewhat if it's uncurved

furrrman

Bronze

Post by furrrman » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:26 am

nemrac11 wrote:It seems like a lot of people on here have taken Labor Law with Crystal, anyone with an outline they're willing to share?
You don't really need an outline for Crystal. Last year the exam was a takehome that he emailed out like a week before the finals period even started. He even gave everyone an extra day and made it due Friday, instead of the Thursday. So you basically had like 3 weeks to work on it.

Wildcats17

New

Post by Wildcats17 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:20 pm

Anyone with a Fischman Admin Outline they're willing to share please DM me!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

champloo

Bronze

Post by champloo » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:51 pm

LawStudent9933 wrote:Does anyone have an outline for Federal Income Tax with Crane??
I'm also looking for an outline with Crane. I'll treat you to Starbucks (or a gift card)! Thanks in advance.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:43 pm

Looking for any outlines for Legislation. New prof this year (Mulaney) but an outline from Jacobi could be useful.

KremeCheez

Bronze

Post by KremeCheez » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:38 pm

Chrstgtr wrote:How is the grading in the law an economics colloquium with Friedman and Schanzanbach?

I am getting a little worried by the syllabus saying that past papers were generally bad...
Taken as a 2-unit class = No paper, no exam, very little work, easy A (my experience)
Taken as a 3-unit class = Multi draft paper (thus making the extra unit the worst value in law school), no exam, much work, grade?

Uncurved

New

Post by Uncurved » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:44 pm

KremeCheez wrote:
Chrstgtr wrote:How is the grading in the law an economics colloquium with Friedman and Schanzanbach?

I am getting a little worried by the syllabus saying that past papers were generally bad...
Taken as a 2-unit class = No paper, no exam, very little work, easy A (my experience)
Taken as a 3-unit class = Multi draft paper (thus making the extra unit the worst value in law school), no exam, much work, grade?
I do not know anything about the colloquium, but I think three credit paper classes are better value per credit than two credit paper classes. I would much rather take two seminars for three credits than take three seminars for two credits. Two credit requirements can often be more onerous than 2/3 of three credit requirements. Plus, even when that is not true, a three credit class is a good way to get feedback on what the professor ultimately wants.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

onionz

Bronze

Post by onionz » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:34 pm

Uncurved wrote:
KremeCheez wrote:

I do not know anything about the colloquium, but I think three credit paper classes are better value per credit than two credit paper classes. I would much rather take two seminars for three credits than take three seminars for two credits. Two credit requirements can often be more onerous than 2/3 of three credit requirements. Plus, even when that is not true, a three credit class is a good way to get feedback on what the professor ultimately wants.
Most Professors seem to hate grading them/offering them/seem to discourage students from doing them when they're an option. I wouldn't want to walk into that...

KremeCheez

Bronze

Post by KremeCheez » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:49 pm

Uncurved wrote:
KremeCheez wrote:

I certainly agree with that for most seminars. But most seminars you have a 1-draft for 2-units and get an extra unit for a measly extra draft.

Law & Econ colloquium you have NO paper for two units. So for one extra unit you basically do the full work (write a paper) as you do for a normal seminar's three units.

Chrstgtr

Bronze

Post by Chrstgtr » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:51 pm

KremeCheez wrote:
Uncurved wrote:
KremeCheez wrote:

I certainly agree with that for most seminars. But most seminars you have a 1-draft for 2-units and get an extra unit for a measly extra draft.

Law & Econ colloquium you have NO paper for two units. So for one extra unit you basically do the full work (write a paper) as you do for a normal seminar's three units.
Are there any other classes like this where you don't have to write a paper at all?

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:12 pm

Desperately looking for a Torts outline for Frakes

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

czpczp

Bronze

Post by czpczp » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:42 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Desperately looking for a Torts outline for Frakes
Calm down man, you don't want to Frake out so early in the semester.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:37 am

czpczp wrote:
FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Desperately looking for a Torts outline for Frakes
Calm down man, you don't want to Frake out so early in the semester.
lolz. 'desperately' was my best attempt at a call to action.

czpczp

Bronze

Post by czpczp » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:13 am

So quick question: is Prom 2.0 actually worth paying $80 to attend?

Dr. Filth

Silver

Post by Dr. Filth » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:36 pm

czpczp wrote:So quick question: is Prom 2.0 actually worth paying $80 to attend?
yeah. it's fun, and it's open bar for multiple hours. you can definitely drink your 80$ worth.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:03 am

Dr. Filth wrote:
czpczp wrote:So quick question: is Prom 2.0 actually worth paying $80 to attend?
yeah. it's fun, and it's open bar for multiple hours. you can definitely drink your 80$ worth.
If you really want your money's worth get there on time and get in the drink line as much as possible. Later in the night the drink line gets insanely long and if you show up late you could easily spend the whole time in line and only get two or three drinks in.

luckenmeister

New

Post by luckenmeister » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:32 pm

Are there any summer clerks/NU alums who worked/are currently working in D.C.? From what I've read, it seems that getting to D.C. is a fairly difficult task. As I become more interested in D.C. as a final career destination, I wanted to know how attainable this actually would be, both immediately after graduation and ~3 years out.

cookiejar1

Silver

Post by cookiejar1 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:26 pm

DC is just generally a more selective market. I can't speak on behalf of NU's peers, but our Career Services data suggests that DC firms prefer to extend callbacks to candidates with above average grades (and, for the powerhouse DC firms, well above average grades). Of course there are exceptions to this rule but DC seems to have a much higher cut off than their NYC counterpart firms. Getting DC is not impossible but I would not recommend anyone with less than top 30% grades to focus exclusively on DC (too risky).

Desert Fox

Diamond

Post by Desert Fox » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:04 pm

Plus why go to nu if you want DC area when Georgetown exists.
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”