Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
bk1

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby bk1 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:33 pm

bdubs wrote:
roranoa wrote:Are international students less likely to get jobs at Biglaw?

I've heard that it is especially hard for international students b/c of their visa problems.

I've also heard that even if they do get a job at Biglaw their visa issues are used against them as leverage to lower their salaries.

Can anyone confirm this?

I'm not international, but I heard that visa issues were not an issue for those who told me about it. If you are otherwise qualified for biglaw then they are generally willing to pony up the relatively small fees to apply for and process a visa. I am pretty sure that biglaw pays non-citizens the same as citizens.

The bigger problem is having the grades to secure the biglaw job in the first place.

Also second hand info: biglaw generally seems like they are the easiest to get a visa with. It's smaller employers that are more likely to be an issue.

onionz

Postby onionz » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:25 pm

Do any graduates know what happens to the free version of MSFT office we get from NU after northwestern? Does it stop working?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:26 pm

onionz wrote:Do any graduates know what happens to the free version of MSFT office we get from NU after northwestern? Does it stop working?

It's a subscription, so yeah, it runs out and stops working.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:18 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
onionz wrote:Do any graduates know what happens to the free version of MSFT office we get from NU after northwestern? Does it stop working?

It's a subscription, so yeah, it runs out and stops working.

I'd add that you can use your school email to purchase an Office 365 University subscription at $80 for 4 years, which is way cheaper than the normal $100 per year price. Note that the university subscription only allows you to use it on 2? computers compared to the 4? from the home subscription (not an issue for most people).

purinpurin710

Postby purinpurin710 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:28 am

bdubs wrote:

I've heard that it is especially hard for international students b/c of their visa problems.

I've also heard that even if they do get a job at Biglaw their visa issues are used against them as leverage to lower their salaries.

Can anyone confirm this?

I'm not international, but I heard that visa issues were not an issue for those who told me about it. If you are otherwise qualified for biglaw then they are generally willing to pony up the relatively small fees to apply for and process a visa. I am pretty sure that biglaw pays non-citizens the same as citizens.

The bigger problem is having the grades to secure the biglaw job in the first place.

Follow up on roranoa's question: I heard a lot of ppl talkling abt NYC being the only market that internationals are likely to get into. Just want to know for international students at NW who hv a grade for biglaw, do most of them land a job in Chicago or do they actually go to the NYC market? Is it true that Chicago market would be more difficult than NYC specifically for international students? Thx!

roranoa

Postby roranoa » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:01 pm

bk1 wrote:
bdubs wrote:

Can anyone confirm this?

Also second hand info: biglaw generally seems like they are the easiest to get a visa with. It's smaller employers that are more likely to be an issue.

Thanks for the reply.

But what about salaries? Are international students offered a lower salary than other students?

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:14 pm

41 ppl enrolled in environmental w/ barsa :( :(

The curve kicks in at 40+ ppl right? Recommended to attend class for two weeks to see if a few kids drop? I only want noncurved electives.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:22 pm

roranoa wrote:
bk1 wrote:
bdubs wrote:

Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks for the reply.

But what about salaries? Are international students offered a lower salary than other students?

Big law salaries are lockstep. Everyone hired as an associate gets paid the same thing (in the same office at the same firm.)

MT Cicero

Postby MT Cicero » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:25 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:41 ppl enrolled in environmental w/ barsa :( :(

The curve kicks in at 40+ ppl right? Recommended to attend class for two weeks to see if a few kids drop? I only want noncurved electives.

I'm almost positive the curve kicks in only above 40. Also, realize that there are likely many students who are enrolled in one more class than they will be taking, and will wait to see the syllabus/books/reading/professor before deciding. There will be fluctuation during the first couple weeks, but it overall tends to be downward since people are choosing between 2 classes in many instances.

Of course, some people go to the class without adding it to see if they like it, then add if they do. But I think those people are typically outnumbered by those who have one more class on CAESAR than they want. So if I were a betting man, I'd say you end up below 41 if you're at 41 today, but probably not by much.

So, yeah, continue to go to class like you're going to stay in it. At 11:50pm on the 15th, get a couple friends and rock/paper/scissors for a drop if you're still right at 41.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:21 pm

I'm pretty sure I took a Barsa class that ended up with 41. The 41st person added it on the very last day.

Some people just want to watch the world burn.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:22 pm

MT Cicero wrote:So, yeah, continue to go to class like you're going to stay in it. At 11:50pm on the 15th, get a couple friends and rock/paper/scissors for a drop if you're still right at 41.

This isn't foolproof since the drop deadline is 24 hours prior to the add deadline.

Mullens

Postby Mullens » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:31 pm

bk1 wrote:
MT Cicero wrote:So, yeah, continue to go to class like you're going to stay in it. At 11:50pm on the 15th, get a couple friends and rock/paper/scissors for a drop if you're still right at 41.

This isn't foolproof since the drop deadline is 24 hours prior to the add deadline.

I'm 99.9% sure this isn't true anymore. The add/drop deadline is now at the same time: 11:59pm on January 22nd.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:34 pm

Mullens wrote:
bk1 wrote:

I'm 99.9% sure this isn't true anymore. The add/drop deadline is now at the same time: 11:59pm on January 22nd.

Ah, didn't know. That fixes that issue.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:20 pm

For people who took con law with Calabresi - is the Chemerinsky supplement credited?

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:53 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:For people who took con law with Calabresi - is the Chemerinsky supplement credited?

Yes.

helpappreciated

Postby helpappreciated » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:03 pm

Any outlines for Sec Reg (Prof. John O'Hare), Basic Fed Income Tax (Prof. Crane), Corporate Finance (Prof. Black) would be much appreciated!

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:40 pm

Micdiddy wrote:
FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:For people who took con law with Calabresi - is the Chemerinsky supplement credited?

Yes.

thx

mickey_mouse

Postby mickey_mouse » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:43 pm

Anyone have perspective on if BA with Litvak is that much better than with Silver?

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:29 pm

mickey_mouse wrote:Anyone have perspective on if BA with Litvak is that much better than with Silver?

A great deal better.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:10 pm

Another question for the elders - so thank you again. Do screeners with biglaw firms before 1L grades have any positive impact? I suppose I'm asking if, as a 1L, a solid screener with a firm before I get grades will make up for potentially shitty, or at least mediocre, grades once the grades come in and the firm sees them post-interview.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:38 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Another question for the elders - so thank you again. Do screeners with biglaw firms before 1L grades have any positive impact? I suppose I'm asking if, as a 1L, a solid screener with a firm before I get grades will make up for potentially shitty, or at least mediocre, grades once the grades come in and the firm sees them post-interview.

I don't think there is a precise answer to this question, but my inclination is no. Remember that biglaw firms generally have hiring committees that discuss all the applicants. While not everybody on the committee is going to be a grade snob, at least some likely are and those people can doom your application. A good interview is going to help you no matter when it occurs and bad grades are going to hurt you no matter when you interview.

More importantly, your question is irrelevant. Are you going to try harder because you think your grades will be shitty? Of course not, you're going to interview as best you can no matter what you expect your grades will be. Are you going to change your interview time based on what you think your grades will be? Again, no, because generally you are best served by interviewing ASAP.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:47 pm

bk1 wrote:
FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Another question for the elders - so thank you again. Do screeners with biglaw firms before 1L grades have any positive impact? I suppose I'm asking if, as a 1L, a solid screener with a firm before I get grades will make up for potentially shitty, or at least mediocre, grades once the grades come in and the firm sees them post-interview.

I don't think there is a precise answer to this question, but my inclination is no. Remember that biglaw firms generally have hiring committees that discuss all the applicants. While not everybody on the committee is going to be a grade snob, at least some likely are and those people can doom your application. A good interview is going to help you no matter when it occurs and bad grades are going to hurt you no matter when you interview.

More importantly, your question is irrelevant. Are you going to try harder because you think your grades will be shitty? Of course not, you're going to interview as best you can no matter what you expect your grades will be. Are you going to change your interview time based on what you think your grades will be? Again, no, because generally you are best served by interviewing ASAP.

Cool, thanks for the answer and the perspective - they are very helpful.

Cochran

Postby Cochran » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:49 am

Hello all, hope you're off to a great start to the new semester! I'll be attending Northwestern this fall and couldn't be more excited! I had a few questions that you guys may be able to answer:

1) I know it's early to think about housing, but what living spaces do you guys recommend that would be within the $600 range (either w or w/o roommates)? Also, what have your experiences been like so far: how'd you find a roommate? What apts./living spaces did you like or not like? ect.

2) In general, what would you recommend sharpening up/doing before I arrive? I've been applying to as many scholarships as possible, but other than that I'm pretty bored now not having to make any more decisions lol. How can I use the time I have before school to it's best? Just chill?

3) After reading these forums, I have a better idea of where I'd like my career to go (ideally). I'm incredibly interested in clerking and will likely pursue this area for initial post-grad opportunities. Is there a lot of support given/resources available to those who wish to pursue clerking? Also, does anyone here have any insight into the Center for Wrongful Convictions and Supreme Court clinic offerings at Bluhm?

4) Should one worry about the location they'd like to practice in during their 1L? I have no clue as to where I'd like to post up for the rest of my life. I currently live in and have ties in the south, but I don't see myself wanting to come back anytime in the immediate future (~10 yrs.). I lived in / really enjoyed DC and NYC, but would probably prefer to experience something new after graduation (part of NU's appeal was getting to experience Chicago!). I'll be long distance from my SO, but I envision that she'll have a good deal of mobility. Does this lack of certainty in my post-grad destination matter?

Thanks!

Wildcats17

Postby Wildcats17 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:30 pm

Is it possible to take a summer class while doing an SA 2L summer? I kind of don't want to take 15 hours + journal this year but then really don't want to have to take 15 hours 3L either.

wojo98

Postby wojo98 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:41 pm

Wildcats17 wrote:Is it possible to take a summer class while doing an SA 2L summer? I kind of don't want to take 15 hours + journal this year but then really don't want to have to take 15 hours 3L either.

Yup, you have a couple options such as Tiller's Contracts II course (3 credits), which is online and asynchronous. Registration is first come/first serve sometime in March iirc.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”