Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
franklyscarlet

Gold

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Post by franklyscarlet » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:07 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
crumb cake wrote:Environmental with Barsa is notoriously difficult to do well in, even when it's not curved.
Really? I thought those leaked grade charts show he hooks ya up. He's just gives hard tests.
Yeah, I've always thought the same. I mean, this is the man that apologizes that he has to give Bs in curved classes. He's not making it rain A+s, but you can do well.

FinalDecision1

New

Post by FinalDecision1 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:33 pm

Last edited by FinalDecision1 on Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Desert Fox

Diamond

DFTHREAD

Post by Desert Fox » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:44 pm

Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

crumb cake

Bronze

Post by crumb cake » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:41 pm

Last edited by crumb cake on Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Slow Your Roll

New

Post by Slow Your Roll » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:51 am

Don't take tax now, you don't need it for your SA and the 1Ls will be going hard, especially those willing to take tax.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:31 pm

crumb cake wrote:Not a lot of great things ITT about basic tax with Crane. I really want to take the course next semester before my SA — is it not even worth it with this professor?
She really doesn't make it very interesting, but on the other hand it's usually not curved so not a terrible choice for 1L

Also if you want to do tax at your sa you should take tax classes, it's one group where because it's so based on the code that your law school knowledge is very relevant. Maybe not that class specifically but the follow up tax electives are pretty important

itsme123

New

Post by itsme123 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:52 pm

How's Annalise Buth for Negotiations?

houwangmagic

New

Post by houwangmagic » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:50 pm

Anyone have an outline for Energy Law and Policy with Loeb?

lhanvt13

Gold

Post by lhanvt13 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:30 pm

Anybody got an outline for Strategy of Litigation?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

crumb cake

Bronze

Post by crumb cake » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:11 pm

Last edited by crumb cake on Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

babblefish

New

Post by babblefish » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:56 pm

houwangmagic wrote:Anyone have an outline for Energy Law and Policy with Loeb?
+1 on this

babblefish

New

Post by babblefish » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:57 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
crumb cake wrote:Environmental with Barsa is notoriously difficult to do well in, even when it's not curved.
Really? I thought those leaked grade charts show he hooks ya up. He's just gives hard tests.
Yeah, I've always thought the same. I mean, this is the man that apologizes that he has to give Bs in curved classes. He's not making it rain A+s, but you can do well.
I took the class uncurved and got a B+ despite doing well on my other 1L classes. It is a lot of work to do well because it is so statute heavy vs. other classes that are not as much work. That being said, probably one of the most useful classes you can take.

BaberhamLincoln

Gold

Post by BaberhamLincoln » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:36 pm

If anyone has a Dicola copyright outline, pleeeeeeeeeeeeease PM me. Thanks!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:41 pm

Two questions re: mass mailing.

The situation: I've done all my cover letters and have my resume and writing sample ready to go for a Dec. 1 mass mail. I want to create drafts of each of the emails I'll be sending to each firm's recruiting person so I can just click send on Dec. 1 and not worry about it.

The questions: First question is whether I should convert all of my materials from word into PDF. Second question is what should go into the body of the email, considering the important shit is in the cover letter. Just a few lines I imagine?

Thx and happy tgiving!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:45 pm

BaberhamLincoln wrote:If anyone has a Dicola copyright outline, pleeeeeeeeeeeeease PM me. Thanks!
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zzzmsex6m3cz ... yxzMa?dl=0

crumb cake

Bronze

Post by crumb cake » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:01 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Two questions re: mass mailing.

The situation: I've done all my cover letters and have my resume and writing sample ready to go for a Dec. 1 mass mail. I want to create drafts of each of the emails I'll be sending to each firm's recruiting person so I can just click send on Dec. 1 and not worry about it.

The questions: First question is whether I should convert all of my materials from word into PDF. Second question is what should go into the body of the email, considering the important shit is in the cover letter. Just a few lines I imagine?

Thx and happy tgiving!
Just put something really short — there are templates in the stickied mass mail thread in the legal employment forum.

And always convert to PDF.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:29 pm

crumb cake wrote:
FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Two questions re: mass mailing.

Thx and happy tgiving!
Just put something really short — there are templates in the stickied mass mail thread in the legal employment forum.

And always convert to PDF.
cool. this answers my questions - thanks!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BaberhamLincoln

Gold

Post by BaberhamLincoln » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:53 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
BaberhamLincoln wrote:If anyone has a Dicola copyright outline, pleeeeeeeeeeeeease PM me. Thanks!
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zzzmsex6m3cz ... yxzMa?dl=0
Thanks a ton, Rink!

furrrman

Bronze

Post by furrrman » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:54 pm

Does anyone have a Dicola Copyright outline from Spring 2015?

PBateman1

Bronze

Post by PBateman1 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:55 pm

Does anyone have an outline for Energy Law with Nancy Loeb? Or can anyone at least speak to what to expect from her exam?

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:10 pm

Do grades come out all at once? I see that the previous three years they have been released the Friday of the first week of 2nd semester, which for this year would mean Friday, Jan. 15. Not sure if all grades were released on each of those days, or if those were the deadlines.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Chrstgtr

Bronze

Post by Chrstgtr » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:56 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Do grades come out all at once? I see that the previous three years they have been released the Friday of the first week of 2nd semester, which for this year would mean Friday, Jan. 15. Not sure if all grades were released on each of those days, or if those were the deadlines.
All grades should drop at once. If you are frantically hitting the refresh button (as most 1Ls probably will be doing) you might catch an incomplete version of the grades that will update moments later i.e. all the letter grades but not GPA calculation, grades for some classes but not others, you having your grades but the person refreshing their grades next to you doesn't.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:43 pm

Chrstgtr wrote:
FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Do grades come out all at once? I see that the previous three years they have been released the Friday of the first week of 2nd semester, which for this year would mean Friday, Jan. 15. Not sure if all grades were released on each of those days, or if those were the deadlines.
All grades should drop at once. If you are frantically hitting the refresh button (as most 1Ls probably will be doing) you might catch an incomplete version of the grades that will update moments later i.e. all the letter grades but not GPA calculation, grades for some classes but not others, you having your grades but the person refreshing their grades next to you doesn't.
Occasionally there's a class or two that lag behind for a few days. But generally, yes.

roranoa

Silver

Post by roranoa » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:17 pm

Are international students less likely to get jobs at Biglaw?

I've heard that it is especially hard for international students b/c of their visa problems.

I've also heard that even if they do get a job at Biglaw their visa issues are used against them as leverage to lower their salaries.

Can anyone confirm this?

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:24 pm

roranoa wrote:Are international students less likely to get jobs at Biglaw?

I've heard that it is especially hard for international students b/c of their visa problems.

I've also heard that even if they do get a job at Biglaw their visa issues are used against them as leverage to lower their salaries.

Can anyone confirm this?
I'm not international, but I heard that visa issues were not an issue for those who told me about it. If you are otherwise qualified for biglaw then they are generally willing to pony up the relatively small fees to apply for and process a visa. I am pretty sure that biglaw pays non-citizens the same as citizens.

The bigger problem is having the grades to secure the biglaw job in the first place.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”