Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
feralinfant

Silver

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Post by feralinfant » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:04 pm

Out of curiosity, why don't they publicly announce the academic prizes (that include cash) for things like best senior research project etc. http://www.law.northwestern.edu/law-sch ... es/prizes/

It just seems very counterintuitive, especially since you would think cash prizes would incentivize people to you know, participate, if they knew about them. I get why they don't blast out the 1L prizes but the other stuff just doesn't make any sense to me. Anyways, if anyone has any insights as to when those decisions are made/notified I would be interested.

Dr. Filth

Silver

Post by Dr. Filth » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:29 pm

feralinfant wrote:Out of curiosity, why don't they publicly announce the academic prizes (that include cash) for things like best senior research project etc. http://www.law.northwestern.edu/law-sch ... es/prizes/

It just seems very counterintuitive, especially since you would think cash prizes would incentivize people to you know, participate, if they knew about them. I get why they don't blast out the 1L prizes but the other stuff just doesn't make any sense to me. Anyways, if anyone has any insights as to when those decisions are made/notified I would be interested.
that page is out of date anyway. best note from each journal now gets that one prize. that happened last year.

ChicagoNU4L

New

Post by ChicagoNU4L » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:27 pm

Hey incoming 1Ls,

If any of you might happen to be interested in a FULLY FURNISHED STUDIO APARTMENT IN GOLD COAST, please let me know!

I'm a graduate of the c/0 2016 and my lease on my apartment ends at the end of July. The apartment is a 600 sq ft studio in Gold Coast and it has served me very well for the past three years. It's a condo building with a rooftop pool and 24-hour doorman and the unit that I'm leaving has hardwood floors and floor-to-ceiling windows. The building is a stone's throw away from a ton of the bad decision bars that house Northwestern's weekly bar reviews (Hangee Uppe, Mothers, etc.); also in very close proximity to a Chipotle, Starbucks, Halal Guys, Bowtruss, and Treasure Island. My landlord is looking for another law student to take over my lease and I'd be more than happy to sell my furniture to any incoming tenant as a package as well.

If interested, please PM me and I'll be happy to answer any Q's and provide photos.

KunAgnis

Bronze

Post by KunAgnis » Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:17 pm

I have been browsing this thread and hoped you could help me out. I am looking for a studio in Lakeview and Lincoln Park within a price range of 800-1000. I have found two places (one on St. James Place and another on Arlington Place) on the north side of Lincoln Park using padmapper but can't find any more.

Is there way to find more options, or am I being too unrealistic for Chicago? I will be taking public transit, and from what I see, the two places I found would take ~25 minutes to get to the law school campus. Any thoughts or advice will be helpful. Thank you in advance.

Chicago_Dog

New

Post by Chicago_Dog » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:41 pm

It's possible to get a place in the $800-$1000 range! I have a small studio that's just under $900 in Lakeview. I love it and plan to spend all 3 years there.

You will have more luck in that price range a bit further north, in Boystown/Lakeview/Wrigleyville. You can take the express buses, like the 146 or the 147, pretty much straight to Michigan avenue where it's a short walk to school. Or you can live further from the lake and closer to the RedLine to get to school in 30-40 mins.

Some of the cheaper places may not be on PadMapper -- you may have better luck browsing for apartments in person. Give Cagan Management a call, they manage some cheap but decent buildings on the north side.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

KunAgnis

Bronze

Post by KunAgnis » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:47 pm

Chicago_Dog wrote:It's possible to get a place in the $800-$1000 range! I have a small studio that's just under $900 in Lakeview. I love it and plan to spend all 3 years there.

You will have more luck in that price range a bit further north, in Boystown/Lakeview/Wrigleyville. You can take the express buses, like the 146 or the 147, pretty much straight to Michigan avenue where it's a short walk to school. Or you can live further from the lake and closer to the RedLine to get to school in 30-40 mins.

Some of the cheaper places may not be on PadMapper -- you may have better luck browsing for apartments in person. Give Cagan Management a call, they manage some cheap but decent buildings on the north side.
Thanks. I'm currently pursuing a studio with Ardmore Winthrop Properties (specifically at 5734 N. Winthrop Avenue). Do you happen to know what their reputation is like (how responsive and effective the management is, what the neighborhood is like)? I tried asking the employee there over a phone call but she wasn't too helpful. That being said, they seemed to have high reviews on Yelp (not sure if Yelp is reliable for finding reputable apartments)

Chicago_Dog

New

Post by Chicago_Dog » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:45 pm

I'm not familiar with the management company, but I do know the neighborhood at the intersection you mentioned, Edgewater/Uptown. It's definitely a step down, safety-wise, from Lakeview/Lincoln Park/Gold Coast. If you're a street-smart guy, you'll be fine. If you're a young lady who plans to reularly walk home from the El alone at night, it might be a different issue.

You can pull up crime maps to get a feel for different neighborhoods.

itsme123

New

Post by itsme123 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:23 am

Can anyone explain the difference between Pre-Trial Advocacy (with Mayer and Shapiro) and Trial Advocacy/ITA (with Lubet)? Is one professor/course preferred over the other? If it matters, I also plan to take Evidence; I already took Ethics.

ghostoftraynor

Bronze

Post by ghostoftraynor » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:09 am

KunAgnis wrote:I have been browsing this thread and hoped you could help me out. I am looking for a studio in Lakeview and Lincoln Park within a price range of 800-1000. I have found two places (one on St. James Place and another on Arlington Place) on the north side of Lincoln Park using padmapper but can't find any more.

Is there way to find more options, or am I being too unrealistic for Chicago? I will be taking public transit, and from what I see, the two places I found would take ~25 minutes to get to the law school campus. Any thoughts or advice will be helpful. Thank you in advance.
Depends on what kind of living conditions you are expecting. I had an apartment in LP for 750, 3 minute walk from the 151 (30 min commute), but it was pretty awful in all respects minus price and location. I used craigslist, and have always used craigslist to find places. I've heard horror stories, but they have never happened to me. As for time, yea, nothing in LP or lakeview will be quicker than 25 min door to door. I'd expect more 30-40. The train would only be like 10-15, but then you have to add walking there, waiting for the train, and walking to school. Still 100% worth it in my opinion. Streeterville is where fun goes to die.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

PallasAthena

New

Post by PallasAthena » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:01 am

Last edited by PallasAthena on Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:58 pm

law review results this week or next?

Ms4life

New

Post by Ms4life » Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:51 pm

If anyone knows anyone subleasing a place or room for the year, please contact me!

Kenga

New

Post by Kenga » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:19 pm

SECTION 1
Torts (Player)
Crim (Tuerkheimer)
Contracts (Lupo)
Civ Pro (Redish)

SECTION 2
Contracts (Markell)
Torts (Shapo)
Civ Pro (Hoskins)
Crim (Nadler)

SECTION 3
Property (Shoked)
Civ Pro (Provenzano)
Torts (Friedman)
Contracts (Nzelibe)

SECTION 4
Contracts (Kadens)
Civ Pro (Pfander)
Property (Dana)
Torts (Mulaney)

Obviously we have no control over which one we're going to be placed into, but can any older students/alumni shed any light on what to expect with these sections? From what I've heard so far, it seems like 1 and 4 are the better ones.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

czpczp

Bronze

Post by czpczp » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:08 pm

Kenga wrote:SECTION 1
Torts (Player)
Crim (Tuerkheimer)
Contracts (Lupo)
Civ Pro (Redish)

SECTION 2
Contracts (Markell)
Torts (Shapo)
Civ Pro (Hoskins)
Crim (Nadler)

SECTION 3
Property (Shoked)
Civ Pro (Provenzano)
Torts (Friedman)
Contracts (Nzelibe)

SECTION 4
Contracts (Kadens)
Civ Pro (Pfander)
Property (Dana)
Torts (Mulaney)

Obviously we have no control over which one we're going to be placed into, but can any older students/alumni shed any light on what to expect with these sections? From what I've heard so far, it seems like 1 and 4 are the better ones.

These look like pretty well balanced sections (maybe not section 2). I think that Shoked/Provenzano combo is going to be sweet.

GoCats56

New

Post by GoCats56 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:15 am

czpczp wrote:
Torts (Player)
Crim (Tuerkheimer)
Contracts (Lupo)
Civ Pro (Redish)

SECTION 2
Contracts (Markell)
Torts (Shapo)
Civ Pro (Hoskins)
Crim (Nadler)

SECTION 3
Property (Shoked)
Civ Pro (Provenzano)
Torts (Friedman)
Contracts (Nzelibe)

SECTION 4
Contracts (Kadens)
Civ Pro (Pfander)
Property (Dana)
Torts (Mulaney)

These look like pretty well balanced sections (maybe not section 2). I think that Shoked/Provenzano combo is going to be sweet.
They get less balanced if you look at the spring professors, IMHO.

Section 4 has Kadens/Pfander/Redish/Kleinfeld/Dana/Mulaney. That's....really, really good.

Section 1 has Lupo/Redish/Tuerkheimer/DiCola/Kontorovich/Player. I know nothing about Player (she's a very recent hire), and some people don't like Kontorovich, but Redish is Redish and Lupo/Tuerkheimer/DiCola are universally loved.

2 and 3 don't stand out for me.

czpczp

Bronze

Post by czpczp » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:18 am

GoCats56 wrote:
czpczp wrote:
Torts (Player)
Crim (Tuerkheimer)
Contracts (Lupo)
Civ Pro (Redish)

SECTION 2
Contracts (Markell)
Torts (Shapo)
Civ Pro (Hoskins)
Crim (Nadler)

SECTION 3
Property (Shoked)
Civ Pro (Provenzano)
Torts (Friedman)
Contracts (Nzelibe)

SECTION 4
Contracts (Kadens)
Civ Pro (Pfander)
Property (Dana)
Torts (Mulaney)

Section 4 has Kadens/Pfander/Redish/Kleinfeld/Dana/Mulaney. That's....really, really good.

Section 1 has Lupo/Redish/Tuerkheimer/DiCola/Kontorovich/Player. I know nothing about Player (she's a very recent hire), and some people don't like Kontorovich, but Redish is Redish and Lupo/Tuerkheimer/DiCola are universally loved.

I didn't see the Spring list, but yeah that's a good point.

Kinky John

Silver

Post by Kinky John » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:16 am

czpczp wrote:
GoCats56 wrote:
czpczp wrote:
Torts (Player)
Crim (Tuerkheimer)
Contracts (Lupo)
Civ Pro (Redish)

SECTION 2
Contracts (Markell)
Torts (Shapo)
Civ Pro (Hoskins)
Crim (Nadler)

SECTION 3
Property (Shoked)
Civ Pro (Provenzano)
Torts (Friedman)
Contracts (Nzelibe)

SECTION 4
Contracts (Kadens)
Civ Pro (Pfander)
Property (Dana)
Torts (Mulaney)

3 gets Calabresi and Peery, 2 gets Koppelman and Yuracko. So I think it's still balanced.
Last edited by Kinky John on Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

czpczp

Bronze

Post by czpczp » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:26 am

Kinky John wrote:
czpczp wrote:
GoCats56 wrote:
czpczp wrote:
Torts (Player)
Crim (Tuerkheimer)
Contracts (Lupo)
Civ Pro (Redish)

SECTION 2
Contracts (Markell)
Torts (Shapo)
Civ Pro (Hoskins)
Crim (Nadler)

SECTION 3
Property (Shoked)
Civ Pro (Provenzano)
Torts (Friedman)
Contracts (Nzelibe)

SECTION 4
Contracts (Kadens)
Civ Pro (Pfander)
Property (Dana)
Torts (Mulaney)

3 gets Calabresi and Peery, 2 gets Koppelman and Yuracko. So I think it's still balanced.

fuck man, too soon.

itsme123

New

Post by itsme123 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:06 pm

Bumping...
itsme123 wrote:Can anyone explain the difference between Pre-Trial Advocacy (with Mayer and Shapiro) and Trial Advocacy/ITA (with Lubet)? Is one professor/course preferred over the other? If it matters, I also plan to take Evidence; I already took Ethics.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:11 pm

Are practicums an easy A for first semester 2Ls? Or suicide?

JustThisSecondTime

New

Post by JustThisSecondTime » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:46 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Are practicums an easy A for first semester 2Ls? Or suicide?
which one?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:47 pm

JustThisSecondTime wrote:
FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Are practicums an easy A for first semester 2Ls? Or suicide?
which one?
Civil government

lemons

Bronze

Post by lemons » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:36 pm

anyone want to share a list of 3LOL classes with minimal work and easy to grab B+/A's??

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:25 pm

lemons wrote:anyone want to share a list of 3LOL classes with minimal work and easy to grab B+/A's??
Anything taught by Lindgren

itsmako

New

Post by itsmako » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:16 pm

Does anyone have information on 1L summer employment? I am interested in international law (particularly http://www.law.northwestern.edu/legalcl ... ternships/), but as a recent admit I don't have student access yet. Any help would be great! Were any brochures or documents given out during ASW that give more detail on employment besides the ABA numbers?

Thanks!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”