Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
elibrarian

Bronze

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Post by elibrarian » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:44 am

paglababa wrote:Hi guys!

Officially checking in on this thread now that I've got my oct lsat score in hand. Anyone here apply ED to NU? I'm seriously considering it this week.
I did. Seriously the best decision I made with regards to LS. I couldn't be happier here/not having a crushing amount of debt. Happy to answer any questions about it.

objection_your_honor

Silver

Post by objection_your_honor » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:19 pm

I've seen the data on there being a slight admissions bump if you apply ED. I'm wondering if this is just because very high numbers usually apply ED, and so even if they're rolled into RD they're later accepted out of the RD pool. In other words: maybe the "bump" is simply attributed to the applicants, and not the fact that they've applied ED. As a splitter, this won't necessarily help me. Any thoughts?

I'm probably applying to UVA ED tomorrow. Which gives me more of an advantage: NU ED in late November (after I wait on UVA ED), or NU RD tomorrow (as soon as I apply to UVA ED)?

splitmuch

Silver

Post by splitmuch » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:32 pm

objection_your_honor wrote:I've seen the data on there being a slight admissions bump if you apply ED. I'm wondering if this is just because very high numbers usually apply ED, and so even if they're rolled into RD they're later accepted out of the RD pool. In other words: maybe the "bump" is simply attributed to the applicants, and not the fact that they've applied ED. As a splitter, this won't necessarily help me. Any thoughts?

I'm probably applying to UVA ED tomorrow. Which gives me more of an advantage: NU ED in late November (after I wait on UVA ED), or NU RD tomorrow (as soon as I apply to UVA ED)?
If you have the numbers to apply ED to NU, why would you apply ED to UVA first? It's the difference between a full ride and paying sticker.

paglababa

Silver

Post by paglababa » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:06 pm

splitmuch wrote:
If you have the numbers to apply ED to NU, why would you apply ED to UVA first? It's the difference between a full ride and paying sticker.
What he said.

objection_your_honor

Silver

Post by objection_your_honor » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:31 pm

I'm not competitive for the ED scholarship, but there is some data to suggest that applying ED provides a bump even after you are rolled into the RD pool. So I would only be applying ED for that bump (if it exists).

I take it you two would vote for applying RD earlier, then?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:43 pm

objection_your_honor wrote:I'm not competitive for the ED scholarship, but there is some data to suggest that applying ED provides a bump even after you are rolled into the RD pool. So I would only be applying ED for that bump (if it exists).

I imagine that ED, even if not competitive, helps show your interest for NU vis-a-vis someone who didn't ED. That said, if you are a borderline T14 candidate, I think your best bet is to ED elsewhere to improve your odds of getting into at least 1 T14. If you're not a borderline T14 candidate, but unlikely to receive a ton of money from the T14, I'd say do the NU ED to help increase your chances at scholarship/acceptance. That is unless you are a borderline T6 candidate and would prefer a T6 at sticker over a T14 for whatever reason, if that were the case then I'd ED to CCN.

objection_your_honor

Silver

Post by objection_your_honor » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:47 pm

I'm sub-3/172, so I'm definitely borderline T14. I was going to try ED'ing UVA and waiting the 15 days for their decision. If I'm rejected or waitlisted, I would ED NU. I'm wondering if having an RD app in earlier would be a better option, since I could submit tomorrow (rather than late-November with the ED option).

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:44 pm

Anyone else think they may feel this MPRE thing tomorrow?

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:31 pm

Icculus wrote:Anyone else think they may feel this MPRE thing tomorrow?
It's amazing how little you care about the MPRE when you've already taken the bar. No idea if I passed. :lol:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dstars823

Bronze

Post by dstars823 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:49 am

Does anyone here know how i could get my hands on a outline for Torts with Speta? I know he hasnt taught in quite a few years

splitmuch

Silver

Post by splitmuch » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:40 pm

objection_your_honor wrote:I'm not competitive for the ED scholarship, but there is some data to suggest that applying ED provides a bump even after you are rolled into the RD pool. So I would only be applying ED for that bump (if it exists).

I would imagine the "bump" is attributable to the majority of people ED being competitive to get in ED, and thus having higher qualifications than the rest of the RD pool.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:15 pm

How important is attendance in Koehler's Evidence class?

VulcanVulcanVulcan

Bronze

Post by VulcanVulcanVulcan » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:00 am

Important NU questions for 3Ls:
(1) Is there going to be booze at the SFPIF auction or has that been killed off entirely?

(2) Are Senior Research grades rendered each semester, or is it done at once at the end of the year?

(3) I know a lot of professors allow students to write papers over winter break. Can I just ask them, or does it have to be a policy?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:14 pm

VulcanVulcanVulcan wrote:Important NU questions for 3Ls:
(1) Is there going to be booze at the SFPIF auction or has that been killed off entirely?

(2) Are Senior Research grades rendered each semester, or is it done at once at the end of the year?

(3) I know a lot of professors allow students to write papers over winter break. Can I just ask them, or does it have to be a policy?
My senior research was done at the end of the year. Some professors will let you write it over winter break. The only drop dead requirement is that it is submitted before the graduation ceremony.

splitsplat

Silver

Post by splitsplat » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:35 pm

There's still going to be alcohol for the SFPIF auction

jn7

Bronze

Post by jn7 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:03 pm

Hi does anyone have some suggestions for classes to take spring 1L? I've talked to a few 2/3Ls who suggested scaling back and taking some "easier" classes to try and keep up GPA for OCI. I'm looking at eventually being in the realm of commercial litigation, but maybe it's better to take some "perspective" classes if they aren't brutal?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

VulcanVulcanVulcan

Bronze

Post by VulcanVulcanVulcan » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:30 pm

jn7 wrote:Hi does anyone have some suggestions for classes to take spring 1L? I've talked to a few 2/3Ls who suggested scaling back and taking some "easier" classes to try and keep up GPA for OCI. I'm looking at eventually being in the realm of commercial litigation, but maybe it's better to take some "perspective" classes if they aren't brutal?

I think the model of one doctrinal class (Tax, BA, etc.) and one easy seminar is good.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

splitmuch

Silver

Post by splitmuch » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:23 pm

jn7 wrote:Hi does anyone have some suggestions for classes to take spring 1L? I've talked to a few 2/3Ls who suggested scaling back and taking some "easier" classes to try and keep up GPA for OCI. I'm looking at eventually being in the realm of commercial litigation, but maybe it's better to take some "perspective" classes if they aren't brutal?

AVOID any curved perspective class.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:43 pm

Take classes with profs that are known to be easy graders and are ideally uncurved. There's lots of discussion about that in this thread if you search it.

purpletiger

New

Post by purpletiger » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:46 pm

Anyone else totally impressed with the strategic plan thing? They don't seem to be saying anything other than "do things better."

chill

Bronze

Post by chill » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:02 pm

Last edited by chill on Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:48 pm

When are we supposed to take Ethics? (Or when do most people take it?)

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:51 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:When are we supposed to take Ethics? (Or when do most people take it?)
Whenever. I think most do it 3L.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:04 pm

NUvention Energy provides students an authentic experience of developing new
business ideas in the sustainable energy and energy efficiency sector. Over an intense quarter, graduate students from schools across campus come together in interdisciplinary teams to develop a product or service: from concept, through market and environmental life-cycle analyses, culminating in a business pitch to take the product or service to market. Consistent with the NUvention approach, student teams develop their own business ideas, rather than consult with companies to develop company ideas or technologies. Projects come from Northwestern or Argonne National Laboratory, from industry and not-for-profit partners, and from students themselves. By simulating the product/service and business development process, NUvention Energy helps students develop creative, interpersonal, business, and technical skills. For law students enrolled in the class, there will be particular attention to the legal/regulatory issues raised by the projects, including IP issues and corporate/business law issues.

Program website: http://energy.nuvention.org

This class is co-listed with McCormick School of Engineering course ISEN 430.

Registration Requirements:

Students must apply via the nuvention website: http://energy.nuvention.org
The URL gets a 404 File Not Found. :?

ETA: NM, I should read my email. Kagan just sent out a different URL.
Last edited by rinkrat19 on Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:20 pm

What are some opinions on taking BA spring 1L? Sounds like if you see yourself going corporate/transactional its a pre-req to basically everything you'd want to take... But on the other hand its guaranteed to be curved. Thoughts?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”