Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
somedeadman
Posts: 436
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:42 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby somedeadman » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:31 am

Wipfelder wrote:
star fox wrote:
Wipfelder wrote: Old-school Chicagoans have a complex about living on the South Side, but it is dramatically cheaper than anything up north and there is lots of public transportation.

I don't know if complex is the right word. More like not wanting to live in MurderTown, USA (unless you want to commute all the way from Hyde Park but that'll take an hour).


That's the thing, the crime isn't bad at all in Bridgeport, or Bronzeville or even Kenwood. Back in the day, it was pretty rough I hear, but it's completely different now. One could rent out a one bedroom for like, 450-600 a month and be within half an hour to NU Law.

I'll definitely check out those areas

User avatar
KunAgnis
Posts: 215
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:41 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby KunAgnis » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:37 am

somedeadman wrote:In addition, is there a roommate marching service of some sort, or should I just get a studio?


Don't know about roommate matching, but you could ask around in the admitted students' facebook group. Also, if you're interested in decent housing at a cheap price, check out Lakeview. My apartment offers Studios to 3 bedrooms and the studios start at $ 850/month, which fits your budget. Plus, the bus (146) takes about 16 - 20 minutes to get to Michigan Avenue.

somedeadman
Posts: 436
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:42 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby somedeadman » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:30 pm

KunAgnis wrote:
somedeadman wrote:In addition, is there a roommate marching service of some sort, or should I just get a studio?


Don't know about roommate matching, but you could ask around in the admitted students' facebook group. Also, if you're interested in decent housing at a cheap price, check out Lakeview. My apartment offers Studios to 3 bedrooms and the studios start at $ 850/month, which fits your budget. Plus, the bus (146) takes about 16 - 20 minutes to get to Michigan Avenue.

Awesome, I'll for sure check out that area, and ask around the Facebook group.

Two more questions:

1. I'm taking the LSAT in June to either increase my scholarship at Northwestern or get off waitlists. Would waiting to sign a lease in July be too late?
2. How soon should I submit my financial information? Is merit aid awarded on a rolling basis? Also, can I wait to submit a FAFSA until I see if I need to take out loans, or is it recommended that I submit it along with my merit aid information?

User avatar
KunAgnis
Posts: 215
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:41 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby KunAgnis » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:43 pm

somedeadman wrote:
KunAgnis wrote:
somedeadman wrote:In addition, is there a roommate marching service of some sort, or should I just get a studio?


Don't know about roommate matching, but you could ask around in the admitted students' facebook group. Also, if you're interested in decent housing at a cheap price, check out Lakeview. My apartment offers Studios to 3 bedrooms and the studios start at $ 850/month, which fits your budget. Plus, the bus (146) takes about 16 - 20 minutes to get to Michigan Avenue.

Awesome, I'll for sure check out that area, and ask around the Facebook group.

Two more questions:

1. I'm taking the LSAT in June to either increase my scholarship at Northwestern or get off waitlists. Would waiting to sign a lease in July be too late?
2. How soon should I submit my financial information? Is merit aid awarded on a rolling basis? Also, can I wait to submit a FAFSA until I see if I need to take out loans, or is it recommended that I submit it along with my merit aid information?


I'm pretty sure signing a lease in July is doable, I did it. But the merit aid is on a rolling basis - there might not be any left if you submit too late. That said, still take your June test. Doesn't hurt to have a great score for applying next cycle.

User avatar
Kenga
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:50 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Kenga » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:33 am

Is Evidence (or anything else) a "prerequisite" for CrimPro? If so, could you get away with taking Evidence/CrimPro the same semester?

User avatar
star fox
Posts: 18222
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:13 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby star fox » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:32 am

Kenga wrote:Is Evidence (or anything else) a "prerequisite" for CrimPro? If so, could you get away with taking Evidence/CrimPro the same semester?

You can check on Caesar if a class has a PreReq or not. If it's not listed, then it's not a prerequisite.

Chi-Town-911
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:39 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Chi-Town-911 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:17 pm

Kenga wrote:Is Evidence (or anything else) a "prerequisite" for CrimPro? If so, could you get away with taking Evidence/CrimPro the same semester?


Neither class is a prereq for the other. They frankly do not overlap much at all--when I took the class with Rountree there was zero overlap. They deal with very different subjects. You'll be fine taking both at the same time.

Chi-Town-911
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:39 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Chi-Town-911 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:22 pm

somedeadman wrote:
KunAgnis wrote:
somedeadman wrote:In addition, is there a roommate marching service of some sort, or should I just get a studio?


Don't know about roommate matching, but you could ask around in the admitted students' facebook group. Also, if you're interested in decent housing at a cheap price, check out Lakeview. My apartment offers Studios to 3 bedrooms and the studios start at $ 850/month, which fits your budget. Plus, the bus (146) takes about 16 - 20 minutes to get to Michigan Avenue.

Awesome, I'll for sure check out that area, and ask around the Facebook group.

Two more questions:

1. I'm taking the LSAT in June to either increase my scholarship at Northwestern or get off waitlists. Would waiting to sign a lease in July be too late?
2. How soon should I submit my financial information? Is merit aid awarded on a rolling basis? Also, can I wait to submit a FAFSA until I see if I need to take out loans, or is it recommended that I submit it along with my merit aid information?


Just submit your FAFSA at the same time as your other aid applications. There are some need-based scholarships available that you should at least be in the running for.

User avatar
glockov
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:07 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby glockov » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:21 pm

Has anyone who got in as an ED student successfully gotten additional scholarships/grants?
I know I am very blessed to be given 150k, but was wondering if there is a possibility of being offered more.

User avatar
BruiseWillis
Posts: 157
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:34 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby BruiseWillis » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:24 pm

glockov wrote:Has anyone who got in as an ED student successfully gotten additional scholarships/grants?
I know I am very blessed to be given 150k, but was wondering if there is a possibility of being offered more.

Would like to know this as well, although I'm very much expecting the answer to be an obvious no

FloridaCoastalorbust
Posts: 1329
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:43 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:33 pm

BruiseWillis wrote:
glockov wrote:Has anyone who got in as an ED student successfully gotten additional scholarships/grants?
I know I am very blessed to be given 150k, but was wondering if there is a possibility of being offered more.

Would like to know this as well, although I'm very much expecting the answer to be an obvious no


PM me - there is hope.

User avatar
votebuilder1
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:53 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby votebuilder1 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:08 pm

Recent admit here -

I likely do not qualify for financial aid. However, I am interested in applying for merit scholarships, etc. I was admitted 3 weeks ago, but have not received my admitted students packet. Does anyone know how merit scholarships work and how you apply?

cantyoloforever
Posts: 169
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:02 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby cantyoloforever » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:10 pm

votebuilder1 wrote:Recent admit here -

I likely do not qualify for financial aid. However, I am interested in applying for merit scholarships, etc. I was admitted 3 weeks ago, but have not received my admitted students packet. Does anyone know how merit scholarships work and how you apply?

Go the admitted students portal. There are instructions there.

cantyoloforever
Posts: 169
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:02 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby cantyoloforever » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:11 pm

Question - can I defer a year and submit my financials next year to be considered for merit aid? I'll be turning 26 next year, and would not have to report my parents's financials to be considered for merit aid. I imagine this would dramatically increase the amount they'd give me, as my parents are quite wealthy. However, they cannot help me with law school for a lot of personal reasons. I don't want their returns to influence the amount NU gives me. Any thoughts on this?

Is this something worth calling the financial aid office about?

User avatar
star fox
Posts: 18222
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:13 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby star fox » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:17 am

You don't have to report your parents financials. Since you are applying to graduate school, you are presumed to be financially independent.

cantyoloforever
Posts: 169
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:02 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby cantyoloforever » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:40 am

star fox wrote:You don't have to report your parents financials. Since you are applying to graduate school, you are presumed to be financially independent.

CSS (for merit aid) asked for their 2015 returns

User avatar
Mullens
Posts: 791
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:34 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Mullens » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:45 am

cantyoloforever wrote:Question - can I defer a year and submit my financials next year to be considered for merit aid? I'll be turning 26 next year, and would not have to report my parents's financials to be considered for merit aid. I imagine this would dramatically increase the amount they'd give me, as my parents are quite wealthy. However, they cannot help me with law school for a lot of personal reasons. I don't want their returns to influence the amount NU gives me. Any thoughts on this?

Is this something worth calling the financial aid office about?


Deferring will not help you because it'll remove any leverage you have to negotiate scholarships from other schools. Your best bet is to submit your stuff this year and then try to negotiate your scholarship to a higher offer based on other schools' offers. And honestly, idk how much they consider parent's financials because i have some friends at NU that are very well off and got big scholarships.

cantyoloforever
Posts: 169
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:02 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby cantyoloforever » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:48 am

Mullens wrote:
cantyoloforever wrote:Question - can I defer a year and submit my financials next year to be considered for merit aid? I'll be turning 26 next year, and would not have to report my parents's financials to be considered for merit aid. I imagine this would dramatically increase the amount they'd give me, as my parents are quite wealthy. However, they cannot help me with law school for a lot of personal reasons. I don't want their returns to influence the amount NU gives me. Any thoughts on this?

Is this something worth calling the financial aid office about?


Deferring will not help you because it'll remove any leverage you have to negotiate scholarships from other schools. Your best bet is to submit your stuff this year and then try to negotiate your scholarship to a higher offer based on other schools' offers. And honestly, idk how much they consider parent's financials because i have some friends at NU that are very well off and got big scholarships.

That's good to hear. I was surprised to see they were asking so many questions about my parents' background for the merit aid application, so that got me worried.

User avatar
star fox
Posts: 18222
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:13 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby star fox » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:17 am

Ah that sucks. Must be new. Never seen it before. But yeah, they'll still give you a big scholly if your numbers line up. If not, go to a school that will. I'm guessing that's more on top for people who come from low SES backgrounds, and they won't change the way they dish out merit aid for big number people from past cycles.

Wildcats17
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:05 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Wildcats17 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:53 pm

Am I going to be the only person at graduation who didn't complete the 50 service hours?

User avatar
star fox
Posts: 18222
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:13 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby star fox » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:06 pm

Wildcats17 wrote:Am I going to be the only person at graduation who didn't complete the 50 service hours?

Def. not

cantyoloforever
Posts: 169
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:02 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby cantyoloforever » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:02 pm

star fox wrote:Ah that sucks. Must be new. Never seen it before. But yeah, they'll still give you a big scholly if your numbers line up. If not, go to a school that will. I'm guessing that's more on top for people who come from low SES backgrounds, and they won't change the way they dish out merit aid for big number people from past cycles.

I hope so. Starting to stress out as my parents are pretty adamant about not filling it out

User avatar
MT Cicero
Posts: 591
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby MT Cicero » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:27 pm

star fox wrote:
Wildcats17 wrote:Am I going to be the only person at graduation who didn't complete the 50 service hours?

Def. not


Nope. I'll probably have 30 or so, with an additional 5 million in school-related stuff (that doesn't count at all). :)

Wipfelder
Posts: 640
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:26 am

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Wipfelder » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:44 pm

MT Cicero wrote:
star fox wrote:
Wildcats17 wrote:Am I going to be the only person at graduation who didn't complete the 50 service hours?

Def. not


Nope. I'll probably have 30 or so, with an additional 5 million in school-related stuff (that doesn't count at all). :)


Lazy, possibly also unpatriotic.

User avatar
KunAgnis
Posts: 215
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:41 pm

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby KunAgnis » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:47 pm

Looked around on Northwestern website and I couldn't find anything . . . does finishing the 50 hours earn a reward or something?




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: eg13, Nagster5 and 11 guests