Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.

Diamond

Re: Northwestern Students Taking Questions and Challenges

Post by 09042014 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:15 pm

Best: BSJ
Worst: BSJ

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:35 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Best: BSJ
An acronym? Seriously, how do you screw up an acronym?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:46 pm

bjsesq wrote:
I'm going to claim undiagnosed learning disability.

Post by 1234543523 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:53 pm

bjsesq wrote:
TWICE.

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:53 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
I'm going to claim undiagnosed learning disability.
:lol:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:12 pm

Best: Spelling "possession" wrong 17 times on your crim exam and not getting dinged for it.
Worst: Going to a school where your professors are so unfazed by your spelling possession wrong 17 times on your crim exam that they don't ding you for it.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:13 pm

rayiner wrote:
Best: Spelling "possession" wrong 17 times on your crim exam and not getting dinged for it.
Worst: Going to a school where your professors are so unfazed by your spelling possession wrong 17 times on your crim exam that they don't ding you for it.
I was made for this school.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:17 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
rayiner wrote:
I was made for this school.
And Stateville.

Magnolia

Silver

Post by Magnolia » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:18 pm

Any recommendations for good dive bars near NU?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Sauer Grapes

Silver

Post by Sauer Grapes » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:00 am

Magnolia wrote:Any recommendations for good dive bars near NU?
Streeters.

EarlCat

Silver

Post by EarlCat » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:28 am

Sauer Grapes wrote:
Streeters.
I just threw up a little bit.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:43 am

Halligan's. We had a TLS meetup there last year, it was good.

sarahlawg

Silver

Post by sarahlawg » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:25 pm

How different is the day-to-day class work at Northwestern than other t14s? I know there is an emphasis on working in groups - does that mean you do assignments in groups? More presentations in front of class?

How will I fare if my 2yrs work experience is with TFA and not something relevant to the law/business? Will I be disadvantaged at OCI?

I would like to work in either Chicago or, ideally, Boston. Can NU get me to Boston? I would like to do clerkship-->biglaw or straight into biglaw.

I was offered the Wigmore at NU and 60k at UChi, so I'm kind of trying to figure out how different these two schools are culture-wise. I know all the 'where fun goes to die' sentiments about UChi, but I'm just talking about the actual classes. I see there may not be a $100k difference in job prospects.

Thanks for any help :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:46 pm

sarahlawg wrote:How different is the day-to-day class work at Northwestern than other t14s? I know there is an emphasis on working in groups - does that mean you do assignments in groups? More presentations in front of class?

How will I fare if my 2yrs work experience is with TFA and not something relevant to the law/business? Will I be disadvantaged at OCI?

I would like to work in either Chicago or, ideally, Boston. Can NU get me to Boston? I would like to do clerkship-->biglaw or straight into biglaw.

I was offered the Wigmore at NU and 60k at UChi, so I'm kind of trying to figure out how different these two schools are culture-wise. I know all the 'where fun goes to die' sentiments about UChi, but I'm just talking about the actual classes. I see there may not be a $100k difference in job prospects.

1) No practical difference in coursework.

2) TFA shouldn't be a disadvantage at OCI. Above all employers are interested in the fact that you had a real job.

3) NU can get to Boston just fine.

4) $100k is a lot of money, you should consider it seriously. U Chicago has better job prospects. The 14% NLJ250 placement differential from this past year is probably the high water mark of the difference.

sarahlawg

Silver

Post by sarahlawg » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:17 pm

rayiner wrote:
sarahlawg wrote:How different is the day-to-day class work at Northwestern than other t14s? I know there is an emphasis on working in groups - does that mean you do assignments in groups? More presentations in front of class?

2) TFA shouldn't be a disadvantage at OCI. Above all employers are interested in the fact that you had a real job.

4) $100k is a lot of money, you should consider it seriously. U Chicago has better job prospects. The 14% NLJ250 placement differential from this past year is probably the high water mark of the difference.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to see how negotiation plays out with Chi.
Do you think NU --> Boston is realistic if I have no other ties there? I just love the city and have always seen myself ultimately living there.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:24 pm

sarahlawg wrote:
rayiner wrote:

Thanks for the info. I'm going to see how negotiation plays out with Chi.
Do you think NU --> Boston is realistic if I have no other ties there? I just love the city and have always seen myself ultimately living there.
Boston is a very insular market. Tough to crack without ties from any school besides maybe H/Y.

sarahlawg

Silver

Post by sarahlawg » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:48 pm

rayiner wrote:
Boston is a very insular market. Tough to crack without ties from any school besides maybe H/Y.
Thanks. That's kind of the impression I've gotten. I hope I like living in Chicago as much as I like visiting it!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jfb

Bronze

Post by jfb » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:01 pm

How is NU for the west, preferably SF?? I've seen the numbers in the info they've sent me, but I imagine that a lot of NU students shoot for Chicago, NYC rather than the west coast. Do any of you know of NU students who have wanted to head west upon graduation and were able to secure employment??

I'm pretty stuck between UCLA w/ 35k and NU w/ 40k, and am waiting for a response to a merit negotiation email sent to UCLA. I was born and raised in MI and am looking forward to getting out of the midwest but could handle 3 years in Chi if NU is my obvious best option.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:14 pm

jfb wrote:How is NU for the west, preferably SF?? I've seen the numbers in the info they've sent me, but I imagine that a lot of NU students shoot for Chicago, NYC rather than the west coast. Do any of you know of NU students who have wanted to head west upon graduation and were able to secure employment??

I'm pretty stuck between UCLA w/ 35k and NU w/ 40k, and am waiting for a response to a merit negotiation email sent to UCLA. I was born and raised in MI and am looking forward to getting out of the midwest but could handle 3 years in Chi if NU is my obvious best option.
NU sent about 12% of C/O 2009 to the west coast. Several of my friends are from there and are going back. C/O 2013 saw a huge spike in West-coast enrollees, with 28% of the class being from the west coast. There are now about an even number of people from the west coast, northeast, and midwest.

BrightLine

Bronze

Post by BrightLine » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:32 pm

I read through the entire thread. Thanks to all those who have posted here, Northwestern is now my probably decision.

EarlCat

Silver

Post by EarlCat » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:17 pm

I've only had 3 "classroom" classes that had any group work, which really means making one or two 30 min presentations. Obviously this is different in trial ad or clinical classes. I've had study groups for almost all my classes.
No. The important thing is that you've been in the real world. Also, paralegals are a dime a dozen. Just about any other job is more interesting to employers.
Any market away from your school is tough unless you have ties. (FWIW, I got a job in a famously insular state and where I have no ties.) I'm not sure you'd have much more advantage at any other T14 except, like someone else said, H/Y. If you can land an externship in New England 1L summer, you'll be in better shape.
I don't think any difference among T14s could justify cutting your scholarship by more than half. Congrats on joining the Wigmore club!
Last edited by EarlCat on Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

EarlCat

Silver

Post by EarlCat » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:18 pm

BrightLine wrote:I read through the entire thread. Thanks to all those who have posted here, Northwestern is now my probably decision.
Where's the "Like" button?

Sauer Grapes

Silver

Post by Sauer Grapes » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:38 am

rayiner wrote:
jfb wrote:How is NU for the west, preferably SF?? I've seen the numbers in the info they've sent me, but I imagine that a lot of NU students shoot for Chicago, NYC rather than the west coast. Do any of you know of NU students who have wanted to head west upon graduation and were able to secure employment??

NU sent about 12% of C/O 2009 to the west coast. Several of my friends are from there and are going back. C/O 2013 saw a huge spike in West-coast enrollees, with 28% of the class being from the west coast. There are now about an even number of people from the west coast, northeast, and midwest.
Not just that, but it's possible to get west coast from NU with absolutely no connections. NU is a great school, and if you have the grades you can go almost anywhere (or even if you only almost have the grades like me).

alexonfyre

Bronze

Post by alexonfyre » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:53 am

BrightLine wrote:I read through the entire thread. Thanks to all those who have posted here, Northwestern is now my probably decision.
Same, NU seems to attract students that I would have a blast working with, compounded with the picture I get of life in general at the school, it is my number one (so long as I can get my LSAT over 171!)

sarahlawg

Silver

Post by sarahlawg » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:40 pm

I was just looking at NU's budget for 2011-2012... $77,399...wow. 6-11k/year more than the other schools I'm considering. Does tuition go down for 2l and 3l?

Also... Chi estimates 13k for housing and NU estimates 14k... which is more realistic? I can't imagine them being that close given their neighborhoods.

Do NU students get to ride the subways/buses for free with their student ID?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”