Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
BaberhamLincoln

Gold

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Post by BaberhamLincoln » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:56 pm

crumb cake wrote:You upload a Word document to Examsoft's website. We don't actually use the Examsoft software.
Very helpful...and different than how my 1L school did it

So I'm safe to upgrade? Any one do it yet?

Chrstgtr

Bronze

Post by Chrstgtr » Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:12 pm

Anyone know when our U-Pass goes active again?

Dr. Filth

Silver

Post by Dr. Filth » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:21 pm

what's the easiest clinic? i really don't want to travel or have to appear in front of a court or anything liek that

snapdragon25

Bronze

Post by snapdragon25 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:25 pm

lemons wrote:would it be a horrible idea to use all my bid points? I know they are for fall and spring semesters but isn't it more than likely that most of them will be refunded? so i feel like i can use all of them, just to make sure I get the classes I want. opinions appreciated :mrgreen:
Also curious about this

crumb cake

Bronze

Post by crumb cake » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:46 pm

Last edited by crumb cake on Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Calvin Murphy

Bronze

Post by Calvin Murphy » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:46 am

crumb cake wrote:
snapdragon25 wrote:
lemons wrote:would it be a horrible idea to use all my bid points? I know they are for fall and spring semesters but isn't it more than likely that most of them will be refunded? so i feel like i can use all of them, just to make sure I get the classes I want. opinions appreciated :mrgreen:
Also curious about this
I'm doing it, but I'm over-enrolling so I can cancel a few classes and regain some points.
Also worth noting is that if you find that all of your bid points get used up because you're sitting on some waitlists or just barely bid enough points, you can always drop a point-heavy course (not after the next round of bidding has begun, of course) to reclaim those bids.

lhanvt13

Gold

Post by lhanvt13 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:20 pm

Law and Econ: how bad is this course going to be?

Dithyfish

New

Post by Dithyfish » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:27 pm

Considering this course list. 3L and was a transfer re-interviewing to go to a larger firm in the New York market. Any thoughts about these classes.

-Judicial Practicum (Not sure how worthwhile these practicums given the workload. Does anyone have any feedback they can give me about the judicial practicum workload during the semester?
-Entrepreneurship Law Clinic
-Business Principles with Giovanni
-Negotiations
-Legal Ethics
-Securities Reg (I know this is a grade-killer in the Fall and was thinking about waiting until Spring to take this? But then I will be stuck taking it along with Evidence).

Any thoughts?

kenwash

Bronze

Post by kenwash » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:29 pm

Thoughts on Law, Advocacy & Public Persuasion with DeSanto? Business, Government, and Public Policy with Spitzer?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:59 pm

Chrstgtr wrote:Anyone know when our U-Pass goes active again?
Also wondering. Running out of money on mine from summer and unsure how much more to put on.

BaberhamLincoln

Gold

Post by BaberhamLincoln » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:25 pm

When do we find out the "results" of our class bidding? This is my first rodeo

MT Cicero

Silver

Post by MT Cicero » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:31 pm

BaberhamLincoln wrote:When do we find out the "results" of our class bidding? This is my first rodeo
Pretty sure it's tomorrow. I think they released the entire bid result sheet in PDF form the day after each round's bidding ended in the fall last year (spring bidding). Could be different for fall bidding, but I'd bet tomorrow.

ghostoftraynor

Bronze

Post by ghostoftraynor » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:49 am

1. Dont use all of your bid points. That will fuck us all because everyone will go high. Then the LLms will have the points left to get all the good classes in spring. Dont let the foreigners win.

2. Thoughts on Ethics? You have to fucking take it. If I say it is the worse class ever you will still take it. Why do you care what I have to say? (Honestly tho this is the first semester in a long time it hasnt been curved so this is a golden time to take it. Probably a lot of 3ls wont take it and then they have to add spots in spring and it will be curved then. Dont take curved ethics. However, tax ethis is never curved, so you can always take that and not worry).

3. No Idea about that DeSanto class, but he is widly cited as one of our best professors. The class seems like a lot of work, but probably worth it if LOL'ing isnt a priority for you.

4. Law and Econ will suck but not as bad as last semester. The professors people didnt like are not teaching it this year. The no laptop policy will suck, but it seems like a fairly easy A.

5. We should find out about classes aroun 2-3 tomorrow. If not, then shortly after. They have been a little slack this year so day after worst case scenario.

6. Sec Reg is hard and will take a lot of time. Gunners will take it so the curve wont be easy. However, if you are planning on doing a corporate practice it is pretty essential. If you are doing litigation DO NOT TAKE THIS CLASS. (unless you want securities litigation which is a very prestigious practice area).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lhanvt13

Gold

Post by lhanvt13 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:30 am

ghostoftraynor wrote:1. Dont use all of your bid points. That will fuck us all because everyone will go high. Then the LLms will have the points left to get all the good classes in spring. Dont let the foreigners win.

2. Thoughts on Ethics? You have to fucking take it. If I say it is the worse class ever you will still take it. Why do you care what I have to say? (Honestly tho this is the first semester in a long time it hasnt been curved so this is a golden time to take it. Probably a lot of 3ls wont take it and then they have to add spots in spring and it will be curved then. Dont take curved ethics. However, tax ethis is never curved, so you can always take that and not worry).

3. No Idea about that DeSanto class, but he is widly cited as one of our best professors. The class seems like a lot of work, but probably worth it if LOL'ing isnt a priority for you.

4. Law and Econ will suck but not as bad as last semester. The professors people didnt like are not teaching it this year. The no laptop policy will suck, but it seems like a fairly easy A.

5. We should find out about classes aroun 2-3 tomorrow. If not, then shortly after. They have been a little slack this year so day after worst case scenario.

6. Sec Reg is hard and will take a lot of time. Gunners will take it so the curve wont be easy. However, if you are planning on doing a corporate practice it is pretty essential. If you are doing litigation DO NOT TAKE THIS CLASS. (unless you want securities litigation which is a very prestigious practice area).
#Trump4P'dent

Desert Fox

Diamond

DFTHREAD

Post by Desert Fox » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:45 am

Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:45 pm

kenwash wrote:Thoughts on Law, Advocacy & Public Persuasion with DeSanto? Business, Government, and Public Policy with Spitzer?
LAPP is one of the best classes at Northwestern.

lemons

Bronze

Post by lemons » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:19 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
kenwash wrote:Thoughts on Law, Advocacy & Public Persuasion with DeSanto? Business, Government, and Public Policy with Spitzer?
Is LAPP an easy-ish class? I like DeSanto and his teaching style but I'm wondering if this is a paper class or an exam?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:31 pm

lemons wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:
Is LAPP an easy-ish class? I like DeSanto and his teaching style but I'm wondering if this is a paper class or an exam?
The class has several assignments (memos, speeches, etc.) throughout the semester that count towards the final grade. It's really a class that you get the most out of if you're willing to put real effort in during the semester.

BaberhamLincoln

Gold

Post by BaberhamLincoln » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:15 pm

Is 15 credits absurd? (4 of these are the death penalty clinic)

If it's not absurd, does it become absurd if I'm considering doing a journal?

Not sure I want to do a journal - but really like the layout and the classes that add up to 15 credits :-/

yet, do not want to kill myself

lemons

Bronze

Post by lemons » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:21 pm

how much does the waitlist typically move? I'm asking specifically about BA with Litvak.... it's a huge waitlist and i'm like ranked 45 =/

i really need to take BA and the only section with open spots is on Th/F (which sucks because I was trying to minimize the number of classes I had Th/F, so I can do CBs more easily). Should I just suck it up and sign up in a different section or is there a chance people will drop out of the waitlist/class?

Fitz51

Bronze

Post by Fitz51 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:44 pm

lemons wrote:how much does the waitlist typically move? I'm asking specifically about BA with Litvak.... it's a huge waitlist and i'm like ranked 45 =/

i really need to take BA and the only section with open spots is on Th/F (which sucks because I was trying to minimize the number of classes I had Th/F, so I can do CBs more easily). Should I just suck it up and sign up in a different section or is there a chance people will drop out of the waitlist/class?
Yeah, number 45 on a waitlist is never gonna happen for you. Sign up for a different section, miss class for CBs.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lhanvt13

Gold

Post by lhanvt13 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:10 pm

lemons wrote:how much does the waitlist typically move? I'm asking specifically about BA with Litvak.... it's a huge waitlist and i'm like ranked 45 =/

Jobs > classes. Just skip class or tell the prof

bananasplit19

Silver

Post by bananasplit19 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:45 am

BaberhamLincoln wrote:Is 15 credits absurd? (4 of these are the death penalty clinic)

Not sure I want to do a journal - but really like the layout and the classes that add up to 15 credits :-/

Not absurd, even with journal, but it depends on the classes. If you're taking like an Antitrust/Sec Reg/Admin Law combo or something silly like that, it'll be pretty miserable.

BaberhamLincoln

Gold

Post by BaberhamLincoln » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:50 am

bananasplit19 wrote:
BaberhamLincoln wrote:Is 15 credits absurd? (4 of these are the death penalty clinic)

Not absurd, even with journal, but it depends on the classes. If you're taking like an Antitrust/Sec Reg/Admin Law combo or something silly like that, it'll be pretty miserable.
Looking at
dp clinic (4)
ST: music law (2)
Copyright law (3)
Lawyer memoirs (2)
Corporations (2)
Torts and product liability (2)

yellowbutterfly

New

Post by yellowbutterfly » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:49 pm

Regarding coursework outside the law school, can advanced levels of a foreign language course at Evanston be counted toward the JD degree? Anyone know? The answer on the FAQs on the site seemed vague.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”