Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
eschewinganonymity

New

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Post by eschewinganonymity » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:42 pm

Thoughts on D'Amato? How are his exams/grading? How about compared to Schanzenbach for Estates and Trusts? American Legal History with Presser? (need a class during that time)

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:30 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
eschewinganonymity wrote:2L here - can someone PM me any teachers that totally don't care about attendance. Any course will do...have to drop some of my courses that are not going to work with my schedule.
Burns and barsa don't.
Barsa is making 20% of our grade attendance/participation for property...

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:38 pm

Damn that's crazy. He didn't do that in Enviro law. I doubt he knows who i am.

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:50 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Damn that's crazy. He didn't do that in Enviro law. I doubt he knows who i am.
Pretty sure he's doing something similar in enviro this semester, if not as intense. That being said, based on natural resources I don't think he cares if you miss sometimes as long as you talk when you're there.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:54 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Damn that's crazy. He didn't do that in Enviro law. I doubt he knows who i am.
Pretty sure he's doing something similar in enviro this semester, if not as intense. That being said, based on natural resources I don't think he cares if you miss sometimes as long as you talk when you're there.
Maybe he boosts up for good participation (and in a curved class that's the same as grading down for not participating), but he definitely didn't hold it against me for not participating at all and attending maybe 50% of the classes.

But he may have gotten fed up with people not coming / participating and changed his grading practices.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Blumpbeef

Gold

Post by Blumpbeef » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:12 pm

It was 20% participation in enviro, at least on the syllabus.

I'm MAF about ending up with the same grade as you. If I had known he actually didn't care I wouldn't have ever gone or wasted my time reading.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:39 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:

I'm MAF about ending up with the same grade as you. If I had known he actually didn't care I wouldn't have ever gone or wasted my time reading.
He probably just bumps up people who fuck up the test but tried hard.

Blumpbeef

Gold

Post by Blumpbeef » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:20 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Blumpbeef wrote:

He probably just bumps up people who fuck up the test but tried hard.
:lol: thanks

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:23 pm

HAha I didn't mean that's what happened to you. But it's hard to bump someone who already got an A.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dstars823

Bronze

Post by dstars823 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:41 pm

anyone know how long it takes people to show up on the roster.. looks like torts 2 is really close to 41 right now

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:49 pm

dstars823 wrote:anyone know how long it takes people to show up on the roster.. looks like torts 2 is really close to 41 right now
I don't know how quickly (daily?) the system updates, but some people will take the entire add/drop period to drop classes as they take their time deciding. So there could be 5 people dropping on the last day (next Tues).

Or 5 people adding, of course.

dstars823

Bronze

Post by dstars823 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:26 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
dstars823 wrote:anyone know how long it takes people to show up on the roster.. looks like torts 2 is really close to 41 right now
I don't know how quickly (daily?) the system updates, but some people will take the entire add/drop period to drop classes as they take their time deciding. So there could be 5 people dropping on the last day (next Tues).

Or 5 people adding, of course.
just great...

Kikero

Silver

Post by Kikero » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:28 pm

Anyone have any outlines/materials for Cameron's fed income tax class? I really don't like how he has the syllabus set up (just chapters and page numbers, no topics) so I'd like to have some sort of framework.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:32 pm

Kikero wrote:Anyone have any outlines/materials for Cameron's fed income tax class? I really don't like how he has the syllabus set up (just chapters and page numbers, no topics) so I'd like to have some sort of framework.
Framework: he thinks you are an idiot. Convince him that you think you are too, ask him whatever the hell you want because you acknowledged his notions. Collect win.

whereskyle

Silver

Post by whereskyle » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:12 pm

Question of genuine curiosity and playful interest (I.e., take it seriously, or don't take it seriously): I think that I read that of the $15 million Bluhm donation, $6 million comes as unrestricted funds. As a student of NU, how do you think that $$$ might best be used for the benefit of yourself or for the benefit of the student body as a whole?

Blumpbeef

Gold

Post by Blumpbeef » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:17 pm

whereskyle wrote:Question of genuine curiosity and playful interest (I.e., take it seriously, or don't take it seriously): I think that I read that of the $15 million Bluhm donation, $6 million comes as unrestricted funds. As a student of NU, how do you think that $$$ might best be used for the benefit of yourself or for the benefit of the student body as a whole?
Wimbledon happens every year, right?

LRGhost

Gold

Post by LRGhost » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:22 pm

whereskyle wrote:Question of genuine curiosity and playful interest (I.e., take it seriously, or don't take it seriously): I think that I read that of the $15 million Bluhm donation, $6 million comes as unrestricted funds. As a student of NU, how do you think that $$$ might best be used for the benefit of yourself or for the benefit of the student body as a whole?
statues.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Dr. Filth

Silver

Post by Dr. Filth » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:35 pm

--LinkRemoved--

edit: a little much, i know. we might be able to negotiate the price

LRGhost

Gold

Post by LRGhost » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:29 pm

Dr. Filth wrote:
--LinkRemoved--

edit: a little much, i know. we might be able to negotiate the price
Just do penthouse at the John Hancock w/ Jerry Springer, breh.

blackandstrong

Bronze

Post by blackandstrong » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:40 pm

This probably has been asked and answered, but I was wondering about the Northwestern interview process for applicants? Can anyone shed some light on this and how to prepare and what should one expect?

Thanks!

Snape

Bronze

Post by Snape » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:03 pm

blackandstrong wrote:This probably has been asked and answered, but I was wondering about the Northwestern interview process for applicants? Can anyone shed some light on this and how to prepare and what should one expect?

Thanks!
Lazy, just use the search function.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Dr. Filth

Silver

Post by Dr. Filth » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:27 pm

blackandstrong wrote:This probably has been asked and answered, but I was wondering about the Northwestern interview process for applicants? Can anyone shed some light on this and how to prepare and what should one expect?

Thanks!
my interviewer just went through the questions that are at the front of the applicant thread. it was very relaxed.

edit: did on campus

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:36 pm

I'm assuming unofficial transcripts are OK to send to employers at this stage right?

lgleye

Bronze

Post by lgleye » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:31 pm

Last edited by lgleye on Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blumpbeef

Gold

Post by Blumpbeef » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:21 pm

Cobretti wrote:I'm assuming unofficial transcripts are OK to send to employers at this stage right?
You won't need one until you get a permanent offer.

Also, don't listen to career services when they say to make copies of your official transcript. They're ugly and poorly formatted and hard to read. Import the Caesar one into word and fix the formatting/change the font and it will be much nicer and easier to read than our official ones.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”