Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
bjsesq

Diamond

Re: Northwestern Students Taking Questions and Challenges

Post by bjsesq » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:17 pm

Icculus wrote:On Hill's blackboard site she has placed several recommended texts but not required. Anyone know if these or worth getting or should I just save my money?
Save your money.

Lieut Kaffee

Silver

Post by Lieut Kaffee » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:39 pm

Icculus wrote:On Hill's blackboard site she has placed several recommended texts but not required. Anyone know if these or worth getting or should I just save my money?
CLRLOL

DrManflesh

New

Post by DrManflesh » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:45 pm

bk187 wrote:Nzelibe - Contracts (HG said takeaway slides and that class is useless.)
Haha. Jide. About a million times more useful one-on-one than in class. For us it was the first class people started missing en masse when CLR things were due. Pretty nice guy though, if you can get over the fact that scheduling a meeting with him may result in him not responding, then suddenly tracking you down no matter what little cranny of the school you're in, and telling you a time to meet him at. Not creepy at all!

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:16 pm

Going to bar review tonight! Maybe you'll recognize me from my 'tar. ;-)

splitmuch

Silver

Post by splitmuch » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:13 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:Going to bar review tonight! Maybe you'll recognize me from my 'tar. ;-)

*inappropriate joke*

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:14 pm

splitmuch wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:Going to bar review tonight! Maybe you'll recognize me from my 'tar. ;-)

*inappropriate joke*
I see what you did there.

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:15 pm

splitmuch wrote:

*inappropriate joke*
pic is of a camel's head, not foot. Silly.

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:29 pm

EarlCat wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Can we create a list of easy graders, and a list of harsh graders? I'll start: Copy the list and add, so it is all together.

Easy:
Stilt
Francis - his test are hard as fuck, but still really easy grader.
Speta
Demato
Haddock
Dohrn
Levin

Suspected easy:
Eigen

Harsh:
Hughes?
McGinnis
Calabresi?
Lubet
Anyone know about Burns?

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:48 pm

Yo...have any of y'all taken the Intl Law Society's Language Classes? Wondering if it's a good way to brush up on my Spanish.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Lieut Kaffee

Silver

Post by Lieut Kaffee » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:10 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:Yo...have any of y'all taken the Intl Law Society's Language Classes? Wondering if it's a good way to brush up on my Spanish.
Put the $110 toward beer and put the two hours per week toward your real classes or, alternatively, drinking beer.

You're welcome.

Transferthrowaway

Silver

Post by Transferthrowaway » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:11 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
EarlCat wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Can we create a list of easy graders, and a list of harsh graders? I'll start: Copy the list and add, so it is all together.

Easy:
Stilt
Francis - his test are hard as fuck, but still really easy grader.
Speta
Demato
Haddock
Dohrn
Levin

Suspected easy:
Eigen

Harsh:
Hughes?
McGinnis
Calabresi?
Lubet
Anyone know about Burns?
Guido Calabresi is teaching at NU next year?

saito816

Bronze

Post by saito816 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:59 pm

Has anyone had Kristen Stilt for property? I have her as a guest lecturer at Harvard for 1L property, and was wondering if anyone might be able to offer any advice, or possibly outlines or old tests, since she isn't part of the Harvard database. If anyone would be willing to PM me, it would be much appreciated.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:18 am

saito816 wrote:Has anyone had Kristen Stilt for property? I have her as a guest lecturer at Harvard for 1L property, and was wondering if anyone might be able to offer any advice, or possibly outlines or old tests, since she isn't part of the Harvard database. If anyone would be willing to PM me, it would be much appreciated.
I'm going to double check the honor code, but I think I can get those for you.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Wart

Bronze

Post by Wart » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:42 pm

Last edited by Wart on Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

edmundsnufferson

New

Post by edmundsnufferson » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:47 pm

saito816 wrote:Has anyone had Kristen Stilt for property? I have her as a guest lecturer at Harvard for 1L property, and was wondering if anyone might be able to offer any advice, or possibly outlines or old tests, since she isn't part of the Harvard database. If anyone would be willing to PM me, it would be much appreciated.
Same here! Any help would be greatly appreciated. PM me!

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:16 pm

edmundsnufferson wrote:
Same here! Any help would be greatly appreciated. PM me!
HLS 1L's with Stilt - Please contact Saito816 since he now has the exams from the NU exam repository.

Thanks

Wart

Bronze

Post by Wart » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:58 am

Last edited by Wart on Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:00 am

Wart wrote:
Wart wrote:Has anyone here had Kenworthey Bilz as their professor? I have her this year @Illinois and am looking for any advice, past tests, etc. that can help. Thanks!
bump
No past exams are available for Kenworthey Bilz

EarlCat

Silver

Post by EarlCat » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:05 am

Eugenie Danglars wrote:Yo...have any of y'all taken the Intl Law Society's Language Classes? Wondering if it's a good way to brush up on my Spanish.
I found it a waste of money. One meeting a week for an hour wasn't enough to really get any traction, and having no time to practice what little we learned made it pointless.
Wart wrote:Has anyone here had Kenworthey Bilz as their professor? I have her this year @Illinois and am looking for any advice, past tests, etc. that can help. Thanks!
Professor Bilz was one of my favorite professors. Her class is kindof a mix of lecture and socratic. It wasn't the most interesting class, but it's hard to make evidence exciting. The test was your basic issue spotter where someone does a bunch of bad stuff and you have to determine what evidence should be admitted or excluded according to what rules.

chameleonia

New

Post by chameleonia » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:43 pm

I'm trying to decide if applying ED is a good decision. My GPA is a little lower than normal (3.3 but from a decent school and with a strong upward trend) and LSAT is ok at 164 (but taking again because have averaged 172 on strict practice tests and had significant reasons for 'bombing') but all my other stuff is pretty strong imo (WE in Peace Corps, national radio appearances, political campaigns etc) and my interview went really well.

I spoke with someone who actually reviews the applications and they said they have often admitted people ED they would have rejected otherwise. I would like to go to NU, and feel like I have a decent (or at least much better) shot at getting in if I apply ED, but the one thing making me second guess it all is the pricetag, and the fact if I go ED NU can obligate me to pay full price with little or no incentive to give me any financial aid.

Did any of you apply ED and get money, or know if anyone applying ED gets money?
Is NU worth 220-240k?

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:57 pm

chameleonia wrote:Did any of you apply ED and get money, or know if anyone applying ED gets money?
They revised the ED policy recently and will be offering full-ride scholarships to all accepted ED applicants. It's not clear what effect this will have on people who otherwise would have only gotten in ED.

PS - Are you a URM? If not you will have a tough time with ED(under the old system) unless your LSAT comes back at or above the level that you averaged on your PTs.
chameleonia wrote:Is NU worth 220-240k?
That's hard to answer without some info on your career goals. I doubt you would get much scholarship money from any T14 with a 3.3 (unless URM).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

chameleonia

New

Post by chameleonia » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:08 pm

What I'm getting at w/ my question about whether or not NU is worth the $ isn't so much about holding out for scholarship money from other T14 schools, its more about comparing NU at full price to a respectable regional school (with a few strong specialties) for free (possible with a 170+ LSAT).

I know the answer depends on career plans, but I'm trying not to focus to specifically on a career plan until I actually start classes and find out what I like and am good at (though I'm pretty sure I can count out anything related to Criminal).

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:14 pm

chameleonia wrote:What I'm getting at w/ my question about whether or not NU is worth the $ isn't so much about holding out for scholarship money from other T14 schools, its more about comparing NU at full price to a respectable regional school (with a few strong specialties) for free (possible with a 170+ LSAT).

I know the answer depends on career plans, but I'm trying not to focus to specifically on a career plan until I actually start classes and find out what I like and am good at (though I'm pretty sure I can count out anything related to Criminal).
I think it comes down to job prospects. Do you have connections in the market the regional school serves? Unless you have savings, you'll still have 50k in debt from living expenses on a full tuition ride. And a 164/3.3 isn't a full ride app at any strong school. The better the school the better your job prospects, but obviously there's a big difference between 50k and 220k in debt. From everything I've heard, what "strong specialties" the school has doesn't really matter when it comes to your job search.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:29 pm

chameleonia wrote:What I'm getting at w/ my question about whether or not NU is worth the $ isn't so much about holding out for scholarship money from other T14 schools, its more about comparing NU at full price to a respectable regional school (with a few strong specialties) for free (possible with a 170+ LSAT).

I think it comes down to whether you want BigLaw or prestigious PI. If neither one of those are at the top of your job list, then I would go to the strong regional. Students at NU are basically aiming exclusively for jobs in one of those two categories (with a very limited set of exceptions)

There are a pretty wide variety of jobs in criminal law, some are considered prestigious PI (large city DA's office, prosecutor's office, federal agencies, etc..), some are biglaw (white collar crime), but the vast majority are neither.

Lieut Kaffee

Silver

Post by Lieut Kaffee » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:47 am

The last few posters ITT are misinformed. Northwestern just announced a new ED program whereby all applicants accepted this cycle via ED are awarded a $150,000 scholarship. So, an ED student would never pay more than ~$60k-70k in Cost of Living.

More importantly, a 164/3.3 has utterly no shot.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”