Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Kikero

Silver

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Post by Kikero » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:57 pm

tigress12 wrote:International Law with D'Amato? I've heard some vaguely bad things-- how bad of an idea is it to take this class?

American Legal History with Presser- seems like it's going to be curved, any opinions on if it's worth taking?

Also has anyone taken IP or Trusts and Estates?
Search for Presser in this thread. Somebody asks about this class every single semester it's offered and it's been discussed 19847473 times.

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:00 pm

To shorten your search: for Presser's ALH, you don't have to read, don't have to participate, don't have to really pay attention, and his exam is insultingly easy. Just risky if it's curved because the exam is so easy.

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:20 pm

Flips88 wrote:To shorten your search: for Presser's ALH, you don't have to read, don't have to participate, don't have to really pay attention, and his exam is insultingly easy. Just risky if it's curved because the exam is so easy.
+1 to all of this. I took it as a 1L and did great because honestly most of the 2Ls and 3Ls in the class are totally checked out. That said, it is usually curved, he usually gives a practice exam that is very helpful, and so the curve is pretty tight.

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:23 pm

Honestly, the best second semester class to pick up (at least in my opinion) is Litigation and the Court of Public Opinion. Also, loved Reed's Entrepreneurship Class but it costs a ton of bid points.

fishfry111

New

Post by fishfry111 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:38 pm

T
Last edited by fishfry111 on Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

splitsplat

Silver

Post by splitsplat » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:33 pm

fishfry111 wrote:This may seem a bit off-the-wall but, does anyone know how I can vacate the contents of my apartment? Moving out in a couple of months and want to get rid of the entire contrnts.....no interest in getting any $$$ for it. However, also no interest in offering contents piecemeal.
had a friend do this, he just took a picture of everything, put it on craigslist and said it was free but the person taking it had to take EVERYTHING. some professional craigslist scavengers came a few hours later and took it all. it might be more annoying if you live in a highrise with loading dock restrictions and moving elevator restrictions, but it could probably still be done.

Kikero

Silver

Post by Kikero » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:00 pm

fishfry111 wrote:This may seem a bit off-the-wall but, does anyone know how I can vacate the contents of my apartment? Moving out in a couple of months and want to get rid of the entire contrnts.....no interest in getting any $$$ for it. However, also no interest in offering contents piecemeal.
I'd call Salvation Army. I know you can schedule an appointment for them to come take your stuff. What I don't know is if they will take stuff that's in bad condition and throw it out or if they will refuse to take it. If everything you have to get rid of is serviceable though, they should take it off your hands for you.

fishfry111

New

Post by fishfry111 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:42 am

T
Last edited by fishfry111 on Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lhanvt13

Gold

Post by lhanvt13 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:40 am

fishfry111 wrote:Thanks, guys. Live in a highrise.....might be touchy getting un-insured ppl from craigslist, scratching hallways and elevators. Also, head from other threads that Salvation Army is notorious in missing appointments, leaving people to scramble to vacate their apts. I called 800-GOT-JUNK, a service that purportedly clears out homes for a fee...........$595 a "load", meaning anything that fits into an 8x10z6 volume. Too bad I'll have to pay to get rid of stuff that's only 2-1/2 yrs old.
Any items u feel like ditching right now?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

furrrman

Bronze

Post by furrrman » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:37 pm

Is BA a good 1L elective to take if you're interested in lit? If not, which courses are?Does it matter?

fishfry111

New

Post by fishfry111 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:44 pm

[
Last edited by fishfry111 on Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cookiejar1

Silver

Post by cookiejar1 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:53 pm

furrrman wrote:Is BA a good 1L elective to take if you're interested in lit? If not, which courses are?Does it matter?
Big fan of the Kline.

If you don't feel like taking BA you can always take Corporations.

furrrman

Bronze

Post by furrrman » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:12 pm

cookiejar1 wrote: Big fan of the Kline.
Think I'm missing this reference

edit: Oh shit I'm dumb. Yeah, thanks hah.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Betharl

Bronze

Post by Betharl » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:22 pm

Edit/nevermind sticking with my schedule... I think.
Last edited by Betharl on Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

captainplanet

Bronze

Post by captainplanet » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:41 pm

tigress12 wrote:International Law with D'Amato? I've heard some vaguely bad things-- how bad of an idea is it to take this class?

American Legal History with Presser- seems like it's going to be curved, any opinions on if it's worth taking?

Also has anyone taken IP or Trusts and Estates?
Take D'Amato at your own risk. He has in the past been known for giving out As like candy, but gave a bunch of students B and B- grades last year in an uncurved class. And his teaching (at least in Jurisprudence) was crap.

zugzwanger

Bronze

Post by zugzwanger » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:56 pm

fishfry111 wrote:
furrrman wrote:Is BA a good 1L elective to take if you're interested in lit? If not, which courses are?Does it matter?
Can't comment on the timing (1L or later) but BA should be considered a required course, and definitely taken before you graduate. Think about it: Assuming you make BigLaw, most of your lit targets will be large corporations. Also, during your summer associateship in litigation, you're gonna look like an idiot without basic knowledge of BA.
Just throwing out there a good piece of advice given to me was that there is no rush to jump into BA 1L. It will be curved and you can just take it 2L and still likely take all the classes that it opens up.

tigress12

New

Post by tigress12 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:58 am

Did anyone take IP with Pike last semester?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

parkslope

Bronze

Post by parkslope » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:46 am

As an initial matter, don't take BA as a 1L elective. It will be full of JD-MBA/V10 gunners. Not worth it.

I also never took BA and turned out just fine. The secret about law school is that what you take is pretty irrelevant.

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:42 pm

fishfry111 wrote:
Can't comment on the timing (1L or later) but BA should be considered a required course, and definitely taken before you graduate. Think about it: Assuming you make BigLaw, most of your lit targets will be large corporations. Also, during your summer associateship in litigation, you're gonna look like an idiot without basic knowledge of BA.
Have you done an SA? Because I can tell you right now zero of what I learned in BA was necessary for my SA and never once did anyone look like an idiot for not knowing something covered in BA.
parkslope wrote: The secret about law school is that what you take is pretty irrelevant.
This is so, so, so true. Take what you are interested in.

ETA: Unless you want PI, DA, PD, etc. Those people actually want to see you cared and want the job. As for Biglaw, grades are all that really matter to get in, and once you are in you really just learn everything else. No one cares what classes you took.

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:52 pm

Icculus wrote:
fishfry111 wrote:
Have you done an SA? Because I can tell you right now zero of what I learned in BA was necessary for my SA and never once did anyone look like an idiot for not knowing something covered in BA.
parkslope wrote: The secret about law school is that what you take is pretty irrelevant.

ETA: Unless you want PI, DA, PD, etc. Those people actually want to see you cared and want the job. As for Biglaw, grades are all that really matter to get in, and once you are in you really just learn everything else. No one cares what classes you took.
I mostly second, with the exception that evidence and civ pro are useful for understanding a lot of basic concepts.

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:00 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
Icculus wrote:
fishfry111 wrote:

I mostly second, with the exception that evidence and civ pro are useful for understanding a lot of basic concepts.
Agreed on evidence. Everyone should take evidence.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Dog

Bronze

Post by Dog » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:46 pm

Do the classes you take really not matter that much?

I have seen a few studies about the supposedly most 'useful' or desirable classes as viewed by attorneys. Some of the top ranking courses are typically evidence, administrative law, federal courts, corporations, securities litigation, securities regulation, mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance, and accounting. Of course, importance varies with what you want to do.

0L here.

furrrman

Bronze

Post by furrrman » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:04 pm

I should have added that I actually want to take BA. I had the impression it was mostly for transactional people, so I didn't know if it would be weird going into OCI having BA as my elective and then saying I want lit.

If I drop BA I'll probably take evidence. That class seems a lot more chill.

I'm probably overthinking this. I hate making decisions.

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:10 am

furrrman wrote:I should have added that I actually want to take BA. I had the impression it was mostly for transactional people, so I didn't know if it would be weird going into OCI having BA as my elective and then saying I want lit.

If I drop BA I'll probably take evidence. That class seems a lot more chill.

I'm probably overthinking this. I hate making decisions.
BA is still pretty lit focused. I took it 1L and wanted to do lit and no one ever said "so then why did you take BA?"
Also what BA class has everyone on this page been taking? My BA class was full of people who couldn't care less except for the 1Ls, which meant, generally, the 1Ls did better.

Edit: I took BA with Litvak. No idea what Lutz does really.

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:21 am

Dog wrote:Do the classes you take really not matter that much?

I have seen a few studies about the supposedly most 'useful' or desirable classes as viewed by attorneys. Some of the top ranking courses are typically evidence, administrative law, federal courts, corporations, securities litigation, securities regulation, mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance, and accounting. Of course, importance varies with what you want to do.

0L here.
For BigLaw classes do not matter in general. There are limited exceptions. Generally you need antitrust to get into antitrust and most tax people took at least basic income tax.

As for BA, I took it and loved it. Though I had Reed. He is awesome

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”