Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Icculus

Silver

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Post by Icculus » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:30 pm

bdubs wrote:
basilseal wrote:Thoughts on value of Comparative Constitutional Law with Calabresi?
Big name professor, not a particularly charismatic lecturer. His regular con law class had massive amounts of reading so I would expect something similar from comparative constitutional law.
Agreed. Though he is a really nice guy and was very good natured about the singing valentine we got him.

NorthwesternorBust

Silver

Post by NorthwesternorBust » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:00 am

Civ Pro - Redish
Contracts - Bennett
Torts - Murphy
Crim Law - Nadler

Anyone want to help a depressed 1L with some sexy outlines?

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:01 am

NorthwesternorBust wrote:Civ Pro - Redish
Contracts - Bennett
Torts - Murphy
Crim Law - Nadler

Dude, who are you? Everyone knows who I am! (or they can if they pay attention.)

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:05 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
Contracts - Bennett
Torts - Murphy
Crim Law - Nadler

Dude, who are you? Everyone knows who I am! (or they can if they pay attention.)
I love this response. I know for a fact that my Bennet stuff is floating around your section.

NorthwesternorBust

Silver

Post by NorthwesternorBust » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:47 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
Contracts - Bennett
Torts - Murphy
Crim Law - Nadler

Who are you? Are you a 1L? I'm confused because I don't read this forum much.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:53 am

NorthwesternorBust wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
Contracts - Bennett
Torts - Murphy
Crim Law - Nadler

I'm in your section. Look for a black backpack with orange and blue on it.

ETA: If you are who I think you are, I think we're even facebook friends.

NorthwesternorBust

Silver

Post by NorthwesternorBust » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:06 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
NorthwesternorBust wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
Contracts - Bennett
Torts - Murphy
Crim Law - Nadler

I'm in your section. Look for a black backpack with orange and blue on it.

ETA: If you are who I think you are, I think we're even facebook friends.
hahaha this is absurd. Where do you sit in contracts/civ pro?

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:07 am

NorthwesternorBust wrote:hahaha this is absurd. Where do you sit in contracts/civ pro?
I'll just PM you. :P

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:24 pm

Hey guys!! Any 2Ls/3Ls have opinions about these classes? Looking for interesting classes, good professors, preferably uncurved/easy A's.

Which one would be a better choice between:
14th Amendment w/Hughes v. American Legal History w/Presser
Remedies w/Lupo v. Evidence w/Koehler

Corporations w/Mitchell (thoughts on the quarter structure, is the class generally curved or uncurved, etc)
Bus. Assoc. w/ either Eigen or Litvak (compare/contrast preferable, if we want to take Entrep. Law is it worth waiting for Reed or should we just get it over with)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:26 pm

Strongly support 14th with Hughes because it fits in so well with Con law. You get double the coverage. Hughes is a bit.... yeah.... but this class WILL help you do better.

Blumpbeef

Gold

Post by Blumpbeef » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:35 pm

bjsesq wrote: Hughes is a bit.... yeah....
I've heard this before. Can you go into more detail?

Also, did anyone take Intellectual Property?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:54 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:
bjsesq wrote: Hughes is a bit.... yeah....
I've heard this before. Can you go into more detail?

Also, did anyone take Intellectual Property?
Hughes goes on complete tangents and most of what she says isn't relevant to class. She talks about weird/random stuff (like the life stories of random reconstruction era congressmen). It gets boring and people spend a lot of class not paying attention (even moreso than your average class). That being said, she's an easy grader (though I've heard if you don't try on the final she isn't afraid to give bad ones but I haven't seen that in practice). 14A is easy to do since you're likely taking it concurrently with Con Law and thus you will have very little additional reading. Con Law also covers a ton of EPC/DPC stuff so you will have a good foundation. Disagreeing with BJS, I don't think that 14A helped me with Con Law. I think it is more that Con Law helped me get a good grade in 14A with minimal extra work when coupled with an easy grader. I definitely encourage taking it since 1L grades are so critical.

I'd avoid Hughes for Evidence since that class is quite different from 14A and you won't have another class (Con Law) to cover the deficiencies. IP is taught by Diamond next semester who is supposed to be a good prof. Francis also teaches IP (but not next semester) and he is an easy grader (not that that matters as much for most people once you're outside of 1L). I'm not sure how hard Diamond grades or the chances of IP with Diamond being curved.

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:13 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:Hey guys!! Any 2Ls/3Ls have opinions about these classes? Looking for interesting classes, good professors, preferably uncurved/easy A's.

Corporations w/Mitchell (thoughts on the quarter structure, is the class generally curved or uncurved, etc)
Bus. Assoc. w/ either Eigen or Litvak (compare/contrast preferable, if we want to take Entrep. Law is it worth waiting for Reed or should we just get it over with)
I took corporations back in 2010. Mitchell didn't teach it back then. I remember the breakdown being something like 50% A's, 30%'s B's, 10% C's and some +/-'s mixed in. The biggest asset to this class is that fact that it is a quarter class and it takes some stress off come finals time (i.e., one less class to study for).

Instead of taking 14A, what about taking Law & Social Change (?) taught be Len. While the title is somewhat deceptive, it was my understanding that this class was very similar to 14A and entailed an exam/paper option. While I personally did not take this class, Len is fantastic! I took Hughes for evidence and hated it. She just wasn't my style. I was bored and many people didn't even bother showing up for class.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:25 pm

BA w/ eigen or Litvak and employment with provezano; is that an ok combo? too much work?

basilseal

Bronze

Post by basilseal » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:57 pm

One more and last: 1st Amendment with DeSanto? Good to take with Con?

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:19 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:Hey guys!! Any 2Ls/3Ls have opinions about these classes? Looking for interesting classes, good professors, preferably uncurved/easy A's.

I had American Legal history with Presser and loved it. He is one of the more entertaining profs I've had, he's pretty laid back, and his cold call style is actually entertaining. There was a decent amount of reading but it goes along with what you'll be doing in con law. I found I didn't have to read at times for one because I had done the cases is in the other. If you take it, let me know I have a pretty good outline.

Jredelman15

Bronze

Post by Jredelman15 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:03 pm

going out for my interview tomorrow. Any suggestions for places to see and things to do? Looking for good bars and restaurants.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cubswin

Silver

Post by cubswin » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:37 pm

basilseal wrote:One more and last: 1st Amendment with DeSanto? Good to take with Con?
Absolutely no overlap with Con, but DeSanto is amazing and you'll love the class.

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:43 pm

Jredelman15 wrote:going out for my interview tomorrow. Any suggestions for places to see and things to do? Looking for good bars and restaurants.
Good luck! Try to sit in on a class. Close to campus, local root is good for lunch and Watershed has great cocktails. There's also bar review if you want to see drunk law students.

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:46 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:
Jredelman15 wrote:going out for my interview tomorrow. Any suggestions for places to see and things to do? Looking for good bars and restaurants.
Good luck! Try to sit in on a class. Close to campus, local root is good for lunch and Watershed has great cocktails. There's also bar review if you want to see drunk law students.
Local Root is meh.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:47 pm

Flips88 wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:
Local Root is meh.
Uh oh.
<ducks>

The poutine is pretty yummy.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:50 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:
Local Root is meh.
Uh oh.
<ducks>

The poutine is pretty yummy.
haha. no uh oh needed. Different strokes and such.

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:51 pm

Admittedly I've only eaten there once and it was their soft open or whatever, but I got a pulled pork sandwich and the pork was all tough and chewy and kinda bland. Plus the waiter and bartender seemed completely incompetent.

The guy next to us ordered something and waited like 20 mins and asked where it was. Turns out they didn't have what he ordered in stock and they forgot to tell him. They brought out the chef to talk to him and apologize and the chef pulled up a chair and sat down and talked to the guy for like 5 mins. It was a really awkward thing to do.

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:52 pm

Flips88 wrote:Admittedly I've only eaten there once and it was their soft open or whatever, but I got a pulled pork sandwich and the pork was all tough and chewy and kinda bland. Plus the waiter and bartender seemed completely incompetent.

The guy next to us ordered something and waited like 20 mins and asked where it was. Turns out they didn't have what he ordered in stock and they forgot to tell him. They brought out the chef to talk to him and apologize and the chef pulled up a chair and sat down and talked to the guy for like 5 mins. It was a really awkward thing to do.
Their staff was a hot mess at the beginning. I think they've got it together now. Though I still think it's weird that they're trying to make it a dimly lit, sit down dinner place when it's a cafe during the day.

Jredelman15

Bronze

Post by Jredelman15 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:54 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:
Where is the bar review held? I would like to meet some current students to get some insight. Also what is the best deep dish pizza place in town? You can't go the Chicago without deep dish.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”