Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
lgleye

Bronze

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Post by lgleye » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:02 pm

Last edited by lgleye on Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fishfry111

New

Post by fishfry111 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:38 pm

S?
Last edited by fishfry111 on Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kikero

Silver

Post by Kikero » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:18 pm

fishfry111 wrote:Sorry if this is a basic question, but I think I recall reading somewhere in these threads that, once you get out into the real world, people don’t refer to Vault ranks as much or not all all. I also heard this at a cocktail party, but didn’t have a chance to talk to that person more. I’m sure that doesn’t mean that people think that all firms are equal, so what measure or ranking term do they use?
This might be a better question for itbdvorm's thread here:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=163550

My understanding (which is almost certainly flawed) just from reading around on TLS and talking to people is that there is a more nuanced approach than simply looking at Vault. Firms have their strong and weak areas, and reputations are built more on impressions people get from working with or against each other than from a list online. I've heard that Chambers bands are fairly accurate when it comes to evaluating firms' strengths in different areas, but it's not perfect either

LRGhost

Gold

Post by LRGhost » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:21 am

My understanding is that Vault is really good at ranking transactional firms focused on NYC BigLaw. Beyond that, Chambers and speaking with lawyers would be a better way to get a feel for strengths and weaknesses.

But this also sort of raises the question as to what 'metric' you would use to 'rank' different firms even within similar practice areas.

dagny05

New

Post by dagny05 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:58 pm

Do many 2Ls/3Ls work during the school year for pay at local firms? It would be a nice way to get some experience and cash -- I was wondering how realistic it is.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

californiauser

Silver

Post by californiauser » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:59 pm

For all current students, how much is a Nortwestern Law degree worth to you, personally?

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:15 pm

dagny05 wrote:Do many 2Ls/3Ls work during the school year for pay at local firms? It would be a nice way to get some experience and cash -- I was wondering how realistic it is.
It happens for a few people, but I wouldn't count on it. If you are really motivated to find something that pays during the school year I think you'd have moderate success, but not necessarily at really high $/hr. The number of big firms that hire their SAs part-time as 3Ls is pretty small.

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:15 pm

californiauser wrote:For all current students, how much is a Nortwestern Law degree worth to you, personally?
The federal government tells me about $250,000.

Dr. Filth

Silver

Post by Dr. Filth » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:36 pm

Flips88 wrote:
californiauser wrote:For all current students, how much is a Nortwestern Law degree worth to you, personally?
The federal government tells me about $250,000.
paye tells me less!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

splitsplat

Silver

Post by splitsplat » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:56 pm

dunno, where the hell is nortwestern

Kellanj

New

Post by Kellanj » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:37 am

Is work experience still almost always a prerequisite to getting accepted or getting financial help?

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:43 am

Kellanj wrote:Is work experience still almost always a prerequisite to getting accepted or getting financial help?
I think the percentage of people with WE has fallen a bit each year for the last couple of years (98% to 95% to 90% or something like that) as they try to maintain the medians, but I'm pretty sure it's still pretty high (like >80%).

I don't think WE really has anything to do with financial aid, though. Although someone who's been working in ibanking is probably less likely to get a scholarship than someone who's been doing TFA, all other things being equal (since presumably the ibanker is less broke).

Kellanj

New

Post by Kellanj » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:51 am

Thanks for the quick response! Would you say someone coming in without any work experience would be looked down upon? Also do you have any idea how many California firms come to OCI and how well the school places on the west coast? Thanks.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:12 am

Current students: I am a sexually active young men with a fetish for tall bois. Anyone know anyone they can introduce me to when I arrive at NU?

lgleye

Bronze

Post by lgleye » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:35 am

Last edited by lgleye on Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:53 am

bjsesq wrote:Current students: I am a sexually active young men with a fetish for tall bois. Anyone know anyone they can introduce me to when I arrive at NU?
I knew a guy who graduated last year, he was down on his luck for a while, so would do just about anything if the price was right, pretty sure he moved to bigsky country though.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:09 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
bjsesq wrote:Current students: I am a sexually active young men with a fetish for tall bois. Anyone know anyone they can introduce me to when I arrive at NU?
I knew a guy who graduated last year, he was down on his luck for a while, so would do just about anything if the price was right, pretty sure he moved to bigsky country though.
Biglaw>bigsky

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:58 pm

bjsesq wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:
Biglaw>bigsky
If I've learned anything from Ted Turner it's make enough money to buy your own western state, that's my 1 goal in life.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:08 am

Does anyone have a good Friedman Insurance Law outline, by any chance? I will compensate you with baked goods!

mirroroferised7

Silver

Post by mirroroferised7 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:45 pm

So, I was clicking around, checking out my top choices' ratings on LST.

Northwestern had the highest alumni and student rating for practicality of the classes and coursework required.

Do you guys feel like the work you're doing in the classroom is actually useful in practical application (externships, SA positions, etc.)? NU has a reputation of being a law school run like a business school (ie giving presentations, etc.), and I kind of like the idea of that.

jn7

Bronze

Post by jn7 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:57 pm

mirroroferised7 wrote:So, I was clicking around, checking out my top choices' ratings on LST.

Northwestern had the highest alumni and student rating for practicality of the classes and coursework required.

Do you guys feel like the work you're doing in the classroom is actually useful in practical application (externships, SA positions, etc.)? NU has a reputation of being a law school run like a business school (ie giving presentations, etc.), and I kind of like the idea of that.
As a 1L, I don't think any of our doctrinal classes are any different than other school's, but others would be able to comment on higher level classes and clinical experiences where I think NU differentiates itself.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

starz

New

Post by starz » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:39 pm

Anyone know when the writing competition usually is? I need to give a start/end date for my summer position?
Also, when does OCI usually start?

Thanks so much!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:53 pm

starz wrote:Anyone know when the writing competition usually is? I need to give a start/end date for my summer position?
Also, when does OCI usually start?

Thanks so much!
Assuming that last year was typical, you can pick up the writing competition packet after the boat cruise on the last day of exams (so May 8 this year), and it was due a week later. I, like many people, picked up the packet the next day.

OCI was two weeks long and there was a week between it and the start of classes (1L orientation week). Classes start Sept 2 next fall.

Solistus

Bronze

Post by Solistus » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:34 am

On a scale of 1 to fucked, how fucked am I in the 1L job hunt if I've only applied to a few Symplicity listings so far? What should my top priorities be to reduce my degree of fuckedness, aside from continuing to apply to Symplicity listings? It's 1L work so I really just want anything law-related that I can talk about at OCI, no strong preferences (although for unpaid work, being in Chicago or LA would make summer funding much less problematic). Good first semester GPA, but nothing else about my resume is particularly impressive. Career Services told me about a bunch of different ways to search for a bunch of different kinds of legal jobs by a bunch of different search criteria... But I don't really know where to start looking for jobs that would be open to 1Ls, and CS didn't seem to know of any tools other than Symplicity that clearly indicate which jobs are 1L-friendly.

TL;DR: clueless 1L, behind on job search, halp?

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:37 am

Solistus wrote:On a scale of 1 to fucked, how fucked am I in the 1L job hunt if I've only applied to a few Symplicity listings so far? What should my top priorities be to reduce my degree of fuckedness, aside from continuing to apply to Symplicity listings? It's 1L work so I really just want anything law-related that I can talk about at OCI, no strong preferences (although for unpaid work, being in Chicago or LA would make summer funding much less problematic). Good first semester GPA, but nothing else about my resume is particularly impressive. Career Services told me about a bunch of different ways to search for a bunch of different kinds of legal jobs by a bunch of different search criteria... But I don't really know where to start looking for jobs that would be open to 1Ls, and CS didn't seem to know of any tools other than Symplicity that clearly indicate which jobs are 1L-friendly.

TL;DR: clueless 1L, behind on job search, halp?
Look up government departments/nonprofits. Find internships on career page. Apply.

Here's a searchable directory of PI shit. You just search/browse it for ideas and then go look up the entity on your own; you don't apply through this site. http://www.psjd.org/

There are 285 Employer results for Chicago. Not all of them will be relevant/be hiring summer people, but some will. Have fun.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”