Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
bjsesq

Diamond

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Post by bjsesq » Thu May 09, 2013 1:43 am

crumpetsandtea wrote:Should I have signed up for this even though I have literally no IP related background and interest? Shit.
No.

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Thu May 09, 2013 1:46 am

crumpetsandtea wrote:Should I have signed up for this even though I have literally no IP related background and interest? Shit.
STUDENT ELIGIBILITY

Only law students are eligible to participate in the Patent Law Interview Program. It is not required that students be patent bar eligible to register for the program; however, many employers require patent bar eligibility as a qualification for bidding on interviews, and most employers strongly prefer patent bar eligible students.
http://www.luc.edu/law/career/patent_students.html

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Thu May 09, 2013 1:46 am

bjsesq wrote:
No.
I don't think you can anyway with no background.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu May 09, 2013 1:48 am

bjsesq wrote:
No.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Thu May 09, 2013 1:52 am

Oh okay splendid. I didnt think I had to but all this talk made me nervous.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lgleye

Bronze

Post by lgleye » Thu May 09, 2013 8:05 am

Last edited by lgleye on Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blumpbeef

Gold

Post by Blumpbeef » Thu May 09, 2013 8:17 am

lgleye wrote:Are you'all recommending that everyone should register for PLIP regardless of interest/background/education/WE just to get the "extra bite"? Jeez.....wonder how many of the 1500 registrants are of that group........ now I understand why half of the registrants in past years didn't get a single pre-select.
No

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu May 09, 2013 9:38 am

lgleye wrote:Are you'all recommending that everyone should register for PLIP regardless of interest/background/education/WE just to get the "extra bite"? Jeez.....wonder how many of the 1500 registrants are of that group........ now I understand why half of the registrants in past years didn't get a single pre-select.
People with hard science backgrounds should register for PLIP if they want biglaw (even if they don't want to do IP), imo.

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Thu May 09, 2013 10:00 am

bk187 wrote:
People with hard science backgrounds should register for PLIP if they want biglaw (even if they don't want to do IP), imo.
+1

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Thu May 09, 2013 10:05 am

bjsesq wrote:
No.
Wat?

Georgia Avenue

Bronze

Post by Georgia Avenue » Thu May 09, 2013 2:27 pm

Since we're on the "future generations" kick: does anyone have a time machine so I can go back to when I thought it would be OK to take Admin and kick myself in the balls? For fuck's sake.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Thu May 09, 2013 2:33 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:1. I don't want to be just an IP lawyer.
2. I don't have one of the desirable degrees like EE/CS/PhD in a science.
3. I don't want to work in Chicago or NY.
4. PLIP is during the 9th week of my 10-week summer gig and even though it's unpaid govt work and won't lead to a 2L or post-grad job, I don't feel like I can bail out on it that particular week to fly to Chicago.
5. Pretty sure it's too late to get back into it in any way.
WHAT HAVE YOU DONE

lgleye

Bronze

Post by lgleye » Thu May 09, 2013 2:35 pm

B
Last edited by lgleye on Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Thu May 09, 2013 2:51 pm

Georgia Avenue wrote:Since we're on the "future generations" kick: does anyone have a time machine so I can go back to when I thought it would be OK to take Admin and kick myself in the balls? For fuck's sake.
what electives can i take that don't come with a kick in the balls?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu May 09, 2013 2:53 pm

Cobretti wrote:
Georgia Avenue wrote:Since we're on the "future generations" kick: does anyone have a time machine so I can go back to when I thought it would be OK to take Admin and kick myself in the balls? For fuck's sake.
Uncurved with profs that give gentleman's A-'s. There's a lot of core gunner classes (e.g. FedJur, Admin, etc) but nothing says you have to take those, especially not curved.

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Thu May 09, 2013 3:00 pm

bk187 wrote:
Cobretti wrote:
Uncurved with profs that give gentleman's A-'s. There's a lot of core gunner classes (e.g. FedJur, Admin, etc) but nothing says you have to take those, especially not curved.
What do you mean by core gunner classes?

M458

Bronze

Post by M458 » Thu May 09, 2013 3:10 pm

Cobretti wrote:
bk187 wrote:
Cobretti wrote:
What do you mean by core gunner classes?
Think bk187 is referring to classes where you're going to be curved with people who are gunning for federal clerkships (in addition to the two he mentioned, CivPro 2, Evidence, Federal Courts, etc.). Are these also sometimes referred to as "bar" classes?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu May 09, 2013 3:17 pm

M458 wrote:Think bk187 is referring to classes where you're going to be curved with people who are gunning for federal clerkships (in addition to the two he mentioned, CivPro 2, Evidence, Federal Courts, etc.). Are these also sometimes referred to as "bar" classes?
This. People gunning for clerkships tend to take more difficult classes (as well as already be towards the top of the curve). They are less likely to take fluff classes. That said, you can get almost any class uncurved if you really want (even the aforementioned ones like FedJur/Admin/etc). You might have to take it with the crappy prof, but that's the tradeoff you make.

lgleye

Bronze

Post by lgleye » Thu May 09, 2013 4:46 pm

[
Last edited by lgleye on Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu May 09, 2013 4:53 pm

lgleye wrote:
bk187 wrote:
M458 wrote:Think bk187 is referring to classes where you're going to be curved with people who are gunning for federal clerkships (in addition to the two he mentioned, CivPro 2, Evidence, Federal Courts, etc.). Are these also sometimes referred to as "bar" classes?
This. People gunning for clerkships tend to take more difficult classes (as well as already be towards the top of the curve). They are less likely to take fluff classes. That said, you can get almost any class uncurved if you really want (even the aforementioned ones like FedJur/Admin/etc). You might have to take it with the crappy prof, but that's the tradeoff you make.

Can you recommend some "fluff" classes or "fluff" prof's? Thanks.
There's a bunch of discussion on easy profs/classes in this thread. Search through it. IIRC, DF was trying to keep a running list.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Thu May 09, 2013 5:04 pm

bk187 wrote:
lgleye wrote:
bk187 wrote:

Can you recommend some "fluff" classes or "fluff" prof's? Thanks.
There's a bunch of discussion on easy profs/classes in this thread. Search through it. IIRC, DF was trying to keep a running list.
DF's list is his transcript.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Thu May 09, 2013 5:10 pm

What is this boat cruise thing, and how come I'm only hearing about it now?

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Thu May 09, 2013 5:43 pm

It sounds like fluff classes may be viewed negatively in clerkship apps, but what about at firms? Can I just take fluff BS and maximize my GPA?

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Thu May 09, 2013 6:09 pm

Cobretti wrote:It sounds like fluff classes may be viewed negatively in clerkship apps, but what about at firms? Can I just take fluff BS and maximize my GPA?
You only get two electives before your GPA becomes irrelevant to firms. AFAIK firms don't really care what electives you take during 1L; 2L and 3L are a cruel joke.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Thu May 09, 2013 8:08 pm

bdubs wrote:
Cobretti wrote:It sounds like fluff classes may be viewed negatively in clerkship apps, but what about at firms? Can I just take fluff BS and maximize my GPA?
You only get two electives before your GPA becomes irrelevant to firms. AFAIK firms don't really care what electives you take during 1L; 2L and 3L are a cruel joke.
The only cruel part is the price tag. Otherwise it's a lot of fun.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”