Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
gimmedanger

New

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Post by gimmedanger » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:59 pm

can anyone recommend a broker? or is it best just to do CL?

I'll be visiting in July and hopefully will lock down an apartment then.

One more question - do brokers usually drive you around or should we rent a car so we can easily get from showing to showing? Sorry for all the questions, I've never lived in a city where most rentals were managed by brokers!

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:06 pm

gimmedanger wrote:can anyone recommend a broker? or is it best just to do CL?

I'll be visiting in July and hopefully will lock down an apartment then.

One more question - do brokers usually drive you around or should we rent a car so we can easily get from showing to showing? Sorry for all the questions, I've never lived in a city where most rentals were managed by brokers!
The "brokers" will drive you around and you shouldn't need a car. Definitely don't pay for any broker service because most of them are free in Chicago (they get paid by the buildings). You can use studentspace, the one affiliated with the school, or really any other service. I used Apartment People when I first moved to Chicago and was generally pleased with the experience. It might be worth it to contact several ahead of time and also use CL so that you can see as many different buildings as possible.

Pokemon

Gold

Post by Pokemon » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:50 pm

Have a feeling grades are coming out... today!!!

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:02 pm

Pokemon wrote:Have a feeling grades are coming out... today!!!

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:57 pm

Why do today what you can always do tomorrow?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

d cooper

Bronze

Post by d cooper » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:06 pm

Last edited by d cooper on Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pokemon

Gold

Post by Pokemon » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:11 pm

Micdiddy wrote:
I remember them quite a few times posting grades on Wednesday.
That's all.

M458

Bronze

Post by M458 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:16 pm

Pokemon wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:
I remember them quite a few times posting grades on Wednesday.
That's all.
You could still be right if they're planning a repeat of the 1st Semester "by sundown" shenanigans.

Georgia Avenue

Bronze

Post by Georgia Avenue » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:23 pm

IIRC spring grades have posted Thursday around noon the past 2 years, so that's what I'd bet on again

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cookiejar1

Silver

Post by cookiejar1 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:07 pm

Is there a way to filter my Simplicity employer list to show the recently added employers coming to OCI? They just added 1 more employer. Wish they allowed us to export this into a csv file.

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:14 pm

Georgia Avenue wrote:IIRC spring grades have posted Thursday around noon the past 2 years, so that's what I'd bet on again

parkslope

Bronze

Post by parkslope » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:59 am

homestyle28 wrote:
Georgia Avenue wrote:IIRC spring grades have posted Thursday around noon the past 2 years, so that's what I'd bet on again
For the real neurotics: they came out at 12:20 (Wed.) and 2:35 (Thurs.) the past two years.

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:01 am

parkslope wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:
For the real neurotics: they came out at 12:20 (Wed.) and 2:35 (Thurs.) the past two years.
So Friday at 4:50 this year.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:26 am

Micdiddy wrote:
parkslope wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:
Well that assumes it was a meaningful trend. The most likely case is that they are derivations from the mean. So as a baseline we should work with 1:27:30. Then its important to consider other factors that may have affected the releases the last 2 years.

Wednesday, June 5, 2013 had a sunrise at 5:17AM CST in Chicago and a sunset at 8:22PM.

Thursday, June 7, 2012 had a sunrise at 5:16AM CST and a sunset at 8:24PM.

Today we had a 5:15AM sunrise and are projected to have a 8:22PM sunset. This actually poses quite a problem since the sunset was the same as 2013 but the sunrise is closer to 2012. I would argue the sunrise would be more of a factor since it could affect how early people in the office start working, whereas sunset clearly wouldn't even happen until after release. This still has problems though because intuitively you would expect the earlier sunrise to be associated with an earlier release, but there seems to be an inverse relationship here. This seems to point to an even later release. Furthermore if we use the 1 minute time difference we actually would arrive at the same linear progression that McDiddy came to. So in the end McDiddy was right. Fuck. 4:50.

parkslope

Bronze

Post by parkslope » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:35 am

Cobretti wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:
parkslope wrote:
Well that assumes it was a meaningful trend. The most likely case is that they are derivations from the mean. So as a baseline we should work with 1:27:30. Then its important to consider other factors that may have affected the releases the last 2 years.

Wednesday, June 5, 2013 had a sunrise at 5:17AM CST in Chicago and a sunset at 8:22PM.

Today we had a 5:15AM sunrise and are projected to have a 8:22PM sunset. This actually poses quite a problem since the sunset was the same as 2013 but the sunrise is closer to 2012. I would argue the sunrise would be more of a factor since it could affect how early people in the office start working, whereas sunset clearly wouldn't even happen until after release. This still has problems though because intuitively you would expect the earlier sunrise to be associated with an earlier release, but there seems to be an inverse relationship here. This seems to point to an even later release. Furthermore if we use the 1 minute time difference we actually would arrive at the same linear progression that McDiddy came to. So in the end McDiddy was right. Fuck. 4:50.
You're assuming it's a linear time progression. For example, if we assume that the Wed. time was 2180 minutes and the Thurs. time was 3035 minutes since Monday at midnight, a geometric time progression would be 4181 minutes. That would put the grade release time at like 9PM on Friday.

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:39 am

parkslope wrote:
Cobretti wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:
parkslope wrote:

You're assuming it's a linear time progression. For example, if we assume that the Wed. time was 2180 minutes and the Thurs. time was 3035 minutes since Monday at midnight, a geometric time progression would be 4181 minutes. That would put the grade release time at like 9PM on Friday.
ETA: actually 2012 was a leap year so if we take the time from January 1 of that year then actually grades won't come out until Sunday.

Dr. Filth

Silver

Post by Dr. Filth » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:04 am

So law students are still the worst. Good to know.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:05 am

Dr. Filth wrote:So law students are still the worst. Good to know.
Christ, this.

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:24 am

I'm assuming Cobretti's exposition was satire (if not, Jeeeeeeeeeezus!), but still:
bjsesq wrote:
Christ, this.

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:25 am

homestyle28 wrote:I'm assuming Cobretti's exposition was satire (if not, Jeeeeeeeeeezus!), but still:
bjsesq wrote:
Christ, this.
I'm submitting my research to academic journals tonight.

feralinfant

Silver

Post by feralinfant » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:33 am

it's just some nerdy jokes you guys. jeez.

plus NU obvs doesn't believe in mathematical patterns. Grade release is obviously determined by some manner of haruspicy.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bricktemplar

New

Post by bricktemplar » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:00 pm

This is horrible. :|

bananasplit19

Silver

Post by bananasplit19 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:06 pm

Cobretti wrote:Well that assumes it was a meaningful trend. The most likely case is that they are derivations from the mean. So as a baseline we should work with 1:27:30. Then its important to consider other factors that may have affected the releases the last 2 years.

Strong on logos, weak on pathos and ethos. B+.

cookiejar1

Silver

Post by cookiejar1 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:33 pm

I miss aimlessly trying to interpret Johann's vague twitpic'd post-it notes.

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:07 pm

cookiejar1 wrote:I miss aimlessly trying to interpret Johann's vague twitpic'd post-it notes.
They were simpler times.
bananasplit19 wrote:Strong on logos, weak on pathos and ethos. B+.
Thank you for not giving me my feedback 3 weeks before my letter grade bro

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”