Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.

Diamond

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Post by 09042014 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:15 pm

The discussion about easy classes has always steered to lecture courses because the slacks ITT don't like writing papers. But the most grade inflating bullshit courses are all seminars. There is a reason Cum Laude is median, everyone is taking bs courses.

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:25 pm

Desert Fox wrote:The discussion about easy classes has always steered to lecture courses because the slacks ITT don't like writing papers. But the most grade inflating bullshit courses are all seminars. There is a reason Cum Laude is median, everyone is taking bs courses.
I got my worst grade since 1L in a bullshit seminar this semester. :lol:

Granted, it wasn't a bad grade and was probably better than I deserved, but still hilarious.

Also, researching and writing a paper generally takes me at least like 3x the amount of time as studying for an exam.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:35 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:The discussion about easy classes has always steered to lecture courses because the slacks ITT don't like writing papers. But the most grade inflating bullshit courses are all seminars. There is a reason Cum Laude is median, everyone is taking bs courses.
I got my worst grade since 1L in a bullshit seminar this semester. :lol:

Granted, it wasn't a bad grade and was probably better than I deserved, but still hilarious.

Also, researching and writing a paper generally takes me at least like 3x the amount of time as studying for an exam.
It's more work, but you have a better chance of an A. And you can bullshit to a much higher degree.

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:36 pm

I agree with HGL. Seminars are a pain because you inevitably push back doing the paper till finals time and you have to churn out 25-30 pages of stuff pretty quickly. And the classes are usually boring as fuck. I'd rather study 3 days, take a 3 hour exam and be done

hrcycle

New

Post by hrcycle » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:37 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
D-hops wrote:Any grads know when they announce the latin honors?
Now it's our turn to be neurotic, woo!

And yes, I would like to know this as well. I think last year it was relatively soon after grades came out?
To you grads: is the suspense for who gets into Coif? Or are the latin honors not as clear cut as the grade cutoffs posted? And congrats to you guys!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:47 pm

hrcycle wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:

And yes, I would like to know this as well. I think last year it was relatively soon after grades came out?
To you grads: is the suspense for who gets into Coif? Or are the latin honors not as clear cut as the grade cutoffs posted? And congrats to you guys!
I'm curious about who gets coif. I believe last year the cutoff was somewhere between 3.8 and 3.9, but since they won't otherwise give us rankings it's unclear what it will be this time around.

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:58 pm

Do you 3Ls know who ended up with the Stevens award or whatever it is called?

VulcanVulcanVulcan

Bronze

Post by VulcanVulcanVulcan » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:01 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
hrcycle wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:

I'm curious about who gets coif. I believe last year the cutoff was somewhere between 3.8 and 3.9, but since they won't otherwise give us rankings it's unclear what it will be this time around.
I heard the cutoff was above a 3.9 (lol).

Georgia Avenue

Bronze

Post by Georgia Avenue » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:02 pm

Isn't Coif usually top 10%? I'd be amazed if the cutoff was less than a 3.9.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:15 pm

Georgia Avenue wrote:Isn't Coif usually top 10%? I'd be amazed if the cutoff was less than a 3.9.
I wonder if it's top 10% of all students, with those in the top10% who are transfers being removed. Or top 10% of nontransfers.

D-hops

Silver

Post by D-hops » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:53 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Georgia Avenue wrote:Isn't Coif usually top 10%? I'd be amazed if the cutoff was less than a 3.9.
I wonder if it's top 10% of all students, with those in the top10% who are transfers being removed. Or top 10% of nontransfers.
Transfers are not eligible for Coif and previous years have had coif somewhere in the 3.8 or 3.9 range.

D-hops

Silver

Post by D-hops » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:55 pm

Flips88 wrote:Do you 3Ls know who ended up with the Stevens award or whatever it is called?
Not yet, and I don't know how we would find out. I actually don't even know who won it last year come to think of it..

bananasplit19

Silver

Post by bananasplit19 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:56 pm

Another question for the Northwestern Genius Bar, this time thoroughly unrelated to grades. I'm not much of a gym person (a lifetime of California and 12-month summers). Most law schools are on or are close to the undergrad campus, and students can form IM teams and do other organized sports to blow off steam and exercise. Where does an enterprising NU law student, stir-crazy after being in the library all day, go to play soccer or ultimate frisbee? Most of the community pickup and league games I've found seem to be out in the 'burbs, and I don't think a 2-hour train/bus ride each way is ideal, nor is a shuttle ride to run around with the undergrad kiddos on campus.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Blumpbeef

Gold

Post by Blumpbeef » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:58 pm

bananasplit19 wrote:Another question for the Northwestern Genius Bar, this time thoroughly unrelated to grades. I'm not much of a gym person (a lifetime of California and 12-month summers). Most law schools are on or are close to the undergrad campus, and students can form IM teams and do other organized sports to blow off steam and exercise. Where does an enterprising NU law student, stir-crazy after being in the library all day, go to play soccer or ultimate frisbee? Most of the community pickup and league games I've found seem to be out in the 'burbs, and I don't think a 2-hour train/bus ride each way is ideal, nor is a shuttle ride to run around with the undergrad kiddos on campus.
Theres soccer and basketball across the street and an NU IM team for each. And I think the journals play softball.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:00 pm

D-hops wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Transfers are not eligible for Coif and previous years have had coif somewhere in the 3.8 or 3.9 range.
I'm not being very clear, but I wonder if they calculate it with their grades in there, or remove them first.

D-hops

Silver

Post by D-hops » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:01 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:
bananasplit19 wrote:Another question for the Northwestern Genius Bar, this time thoroughly unrelated to grades. I'm not much of a gym person (a lifetime of California and 12-month summers). Most law schools are on or are close to the undergrad campus, and students can form IM teams and do other organized sports to blow off steam and exercise. Where does an enterprising NU law student, stir-crazy after being in the library all day, go to play soccer or ultimate frisbee? Most of the community pickup and league games I've found seem to be out in the 'burbs, and I don't think a 2-hour train/bus ride each way is ideal, nor is a shuttle ride to run around with the undergrad kiddos on campus.
Theres soccer and basketball across the street and an NU IM team for each. And I think the journals play softball.
Just to clarify, there are multiple IM teams for each sport. You can also try Chicago Sport and Social which has a ton of different sports leagues within the city.

D-hops

Silver

Post by D-hops » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:02 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
D-hops wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
I'm not being very clear, but I wonder if they calculate it with their grades in there, or remove them first.
I think remove them first. Last year there were around 30 Order recipients which would seem to be the regular + AJDs top 10%

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:49 pm

D-hops wrote:
Blumpbeef wrote:
Just to clarify, there are multiple IM teams for each sport. You can also try Chicago Sport and Social which has a ton of different sports leagues within the city.
And you CAN play club sports with the UG teams, although it's a pain in the ass and a time suck. (I played hockey from Oct to March.)

hmlee

Bronze

Post by hmlee » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:03 pm

Chicago Sport and Social, Sports Monster, and Players Sports Group are your friends. Oh, and CMSA should you happen to be queer or want to play sports with us.

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:54 pm

Anyone have thoughts, stories, or tips regarding the chicago bar minority job fair? I need to make up my bid list for that relatively soon, I guess. I know this question is really general... it's friday.

D-hops

Silver

Post by D-hops » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:22 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:Anyone have thoughts, stories, or tips regarding the chicago bar minority job fair? I need to make up my bid list for that relatively soon, I guess. I know this question is really general... it's friday.
It's (I believe) half preselect, so rank your legit targets highest. The more interviews you can get out of it the fewer Chicago firms you'll have to bid on at OCI. I got almost all my major Chicago targets through that fair and was able to bid on some smaller-Chicago, and to some extent NYC, firms as a result. So aim for getting as many interviews as possible from CCBA.

Edit: Just to be clear, you can get ALL your interviews through preselect, but the firm spots are half preselect and half lottery.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dolfan0516

Bronze

Post by dolfan0516 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:09 am

I am currently getting credit for a summer internship and have the chance of getting a part time internship in the fall. Would I be able to get credit for it? I heard that the summer and school year practicum classes are technically different. Is this true?

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:15 am

dolfan0516 wrote:I am currently getting credit for a summer internship and have the chance of getting a part time internship in the fall. Would I be able to get credit for it? I heard that the summer and school year practicum classes are technically different. Is this true?
http://www.law.northwestern.edu/registr ... AQ.html#10

Bumi

Silver

Post by Bumi » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:39 pm

dolfan0516 wrote:I am currently getting credit for a summer internship and have the chance of getting a part time internship in the fall. Would I be able to get credit for it? I heard that the summer and school year practicum classes are technically different. Is this true?
What is the internship with? Is it one of the public interest ones or is it an organization or is it a judge?

I assume it's not a judge because people call those externships usually, but I will say that the people I know who did school-year work for judges said it was way too much damn work for during the school year. Either sure "part-time" really means that or tightly limit your credits or extracurriculars.

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:47 pm

Bumi wrote: What is the internship with? Is it one of the public interest ones or is it an organization or is it a judge?

I assume it's not a judge because people call those externships usually, but I will say that the people I know who did school-year work for judges said it was way too much damn work for during the school year. Either sure "part-time" really means that or tightly limit your credits or extracurriculars.
Yeah it's a lot of busy work and a big time sink. The trade off is 4 credits of pretty much guaranteed A+ or A. I did a judicial externship and the load of work was basically: 2 hours of class per week, 12 hours of work per week, two journal installments about your experience (both mine were about 35 pages double-spaced each), and an in-class presentation. It's a great experience, but definitely is a hassle if you have journal work or other commitments.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”