Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
lgleye

Bronze

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Post by lgleye » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:05 am

Last edited by lgleye on Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kikero

Silver

Post by Kikero » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:51 pm

Yeah, my parents live in Tennessee and my mom sent me some pictures of our yard this morning. Definitely the most snow I've seen in the South. Also apparently they've already used 15 snow days since January 1.

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:06 pm

Meanwhile, it's above 20 here! Feels warm, too (no sarcasm there).

lgleye

Bronze

Post by lgleye » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:53 pm

Last edited by lgleye on Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

onionz

Bronze

Post by onionz » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:59 pm

Anyone have any anecdotal evidence of how NU handles people who threaten/attempt to transfer? Can you negotiate more $ from them? Anything sent in a PM will be held in strict confidence as well.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lgleye

Bronze

Post by lgleye » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:21 pm

Last edited by lgleye on Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:25 pm

lgleye wrote:Hey Guys:

The cast of 'Suits' is doing a college tour (?!?). They'll be at NU on Feb 18th. http://suitsoncampus.com/
Is this for real? ("I'm not a real lawyer, but I play one on TV")
Weird.

I wonder if it'll be here or up in Evanston.

Kikero

Silver

Post by Kikero » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:27 pm

lgleye wrote:
Kikero wrote:Yeah, my parents live in Tennessee and my mom sent me some pictures of our yard this morning. Definitely the most snow I've seen in the South. Also apparently they've already used 15 snow days since January 1.
lol.... most of you guys have never seen snow..... picture being "snowed-in" by 3 inches. Meanwhile even Time Square in NYC is slowed to a crawl by only 8 inches (with 6 more to come tonight). http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... xcDhwlF8tA
I meant the most snow that I have seen located in the South, obviously I have seen more snow than that here in Chicago and in other places. Although honestly, that 3 inches you're dismissing is probably a lot more dangerous than a foot in the Midwest or Northeast since there are no plows or salt trucks in the South, and a lot of rural areas have bad roads.

Kikero

Silver

Post by Kikero » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:30 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
lgleye wrote:Hey Guys:

The cast of 'Suits' is doing a college tour (?!?). They'll be at NU on Feb 18th. http://suitsoncampus.com/
Is this for real? ("I'm not a real lawyer, but I play one on TV")
Weird.

I wonder if it'll be here or up in Evanston.
I'd guess Evanston, it's plugged as a college tour and not a law school tour. Plus there are just a ton more people up there.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lgleye

Bronze

Post by lgleye » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:51 pm

Last edited by lgleye on Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

californiauser

Silver

Post by californiauser » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:09 pm

do law school people hang out with b school people?

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:13 pm

californiauser wrote:do law school people hang out with b school people?
Most of the B school is actually in Evanston. The part of it downtown is mostly night classes/continuing education, I think. And the buildings aren't connected. So there's not, like, casual mingling. Except for the JD/MBAs, of course.

whereskyle

Silver

Post by whereskyle » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:17 pm

So I asked a month or so ago for anybody on this thread interested in PI work. As I went without a response, I'll ask this: Do you know anyone at NU committed to PI work? What are their employment goals? Thanks, all.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:24 pm

whereskyle wrote:So I asked a month or so ago for anybody on this thread interested in PI work. As I went without a response, I'll ask this: Do you know anyone at NU committed to PI work? What are their employment goals? Thanks, all.
Sure, I know people who want PI. I know someone who wants to do like legal aid type stuff, and has done that both summers and, I believe, has a fellowship lined up for post grad. There are also people who want government. Your question is kinda vague. Are you asking if PI is possible from NU? Sure. There are classes relevant to PI, easily-available funding for unpaid PI summer gigs, and a person in the career office dedicated to PI placement. Getting your dream job is grades-dependent, like anything else.

whereskyle

Silver

Post by whereskyle » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:26 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
whereskyle wrote:So I asked a month or so ago for anybody on this thread interested in PI work. As I went without a response, I'll ask this: Do you know anyone at NU committed to PI work? What are their employment goals? Thanks, all.
Sure, I know people who want PI. I know someone who wants to do like legal aid type stuff, and has done that both summers and, I believe, has a fellowship lined up for post grad. There are also people who want government. Your question is kinda vague. Are you asking if PI is possible from NU? Sure. There are classes relevant to PI, easily-available funding for unpaid PI summer gigs, and a person in the career office dedicated to PI placement. Getting your dream job is grades-dependent, like anything else.
Quintessential response to my vague question. Thank you. I should probably ask the admissions office to try to put me in touch with someone.

kcdc1

Silver

Post by kcdc1 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:47 pm

Does anyone have info about the Law Scholars program? When I looked at the enrollment numbers, it did not seem to be all that popular. Is this because few people are interested in academia? Or is there some other aspect that suppresses interest?

LRGhost

Gold

Post by LRGhost » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:25 pm

whereskyle wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
Quintessential response to my vague question. Thank you. I should probably ask the admissions office to try to put me in touch with someone.
Just worry about grades, man. Not to beat a dead horse but chill. You won't start school for six and a half months. You're asking about clerkships, about broad PI goals, about why certain numbers are what they are, and really, a lot of that shouldn't be on your radar until you at least have a semester of grades. And the question about why numbers are what they are is beyond your control. Just chill, enjoy your summer, and try not to drive yourself crazy in the first semester worrying about things that everyone will tell you not to worry about for very good reasons. :)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

splitsplat

Silver

Post by splitsplat » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:47 pm

whereskyle wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
since 95% of the people coming into NU want firm work, if you are genuinely committed to the idea of a pi career, you will have great faculty support since there are quite a few professors that work exclusively in the pi sphere and hardly any students they need to split their time with.

to add on to rinkrat, grades are gonna be key for prestigious pi work (aclu etc), but even for other less prestigious places, you've got to show a dedicated and consistent interest in the work..

lgleye

Bronze

Post by lgleye » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:35 pm

Last edited by lgleye on Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whereskyle

Silver

Post by whereskyle » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:02 pm

lgleye wrote:
LRGhost wrote:
Just worry about grades, man. Not to beat a dead horse but chill. You won't start school for six and a half months. You're asking about clerkships, about broad PI goals, about why certain numbers are what they are, and really, a lot of that shouldn't be on your radar until you at least have a semester of grades. And the question about why numbers are what they are is beyond your control. Just chill, enjoy your summer, and try not to drive yourself crazy in the first semester worrying about things that everyone will tell you not to worry about for very good reasons. :)
Super advice...... Besides, Whereskyle, it's way too early to target a particular path....once you sacrifice everything in runing your ass through the 1L ringer just to qualify for PI, you just might say, "F__k it, I'll take the money" and go OCI.
Thanks all for the responses. Sat out a year, and I'm ready to get started. I like my jerb, but it isn't law related. Advice on what to do with the ls obsession?

jn7

Bronze

Post by jn7 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:25 pm

This could potentially get your mind off LS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVX01fukAHA

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

californiauser

Silver

Post by californiauser » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:45 pm

Anyone know if Nu reimburses ASW costs?

hiphopopotamuss

New

Post by hiphopopotamuss » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:30 am

deleted
Last edited by hiphopopotamuss on Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hiphopopotamuss

New

Post by hiphopopotamuss » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:52 am

deleted
Last edited by hiphopopotamuss on Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wojo98

Bronze

Post by wojo98 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:28 am

hiphopopotamuss wrote:For the AJD open house (March 7), the announcement says "travel stipend information coming soon."
http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissi ... openhouse/
Eagerly waiting on these details as well. Definitely attending (the AJD program), so view the sell day as more of a luxury (opportunity to meet folks, network, etc.) than anything else.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”