Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Bumi

Silver

Re: Northwestern Students Taking Questions and Challenges

Post by Bumi » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:51 am

bjsesq wrote:Too many good places to eat to just start throwing shit at you. Give us a kind of food and your price range.
I love asian food (pho, thai, whatever) and want to learn what Chicago pizza is all about. Keep it to the type of place I could legitimately go to if I were a student.

Also I love beer, if that helps.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:54 am

Bumi wrote:
bjsesq wrote:Too many good places to eat to just start throwing shit at you. Give us a kind of food and your price range.
I love asian food (pho, thai, whatever) and want to learn what Chicago pizza is all about. Keep it to the type of place I could legitimately go to if I were a student.

I have just the place for you. Silver Spoon. Cheap but good thai food. 3 blocks from the school. BYOB. WIN

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:00 am

bjsesq wrote:
Bumi wrote:

I have just the place for you. Silver Spoon. Cheap but good thai food. 3 blocks from the school. BYOB. WIN
What does it say about me that I'd never heard of a BYOB restaurant? I just had to go look that up to figure out you weren't kidding.

Edit: (I mean, I know the acronym, but I'd only ever heard it applied to house parties.)
Last edited by rinkrat19 on Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:01 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
Bumi wrote:

What does it say about me that I'd never heard of a BYOB restaurant? I just had to go look that up to figure out you weren't kidding.
before I came to Chicago, I'd never heard of it either. It's a great, great thing though.

lushka

New

Post by lushka » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:34 am

bdemon wrote:
casterfield wrote:
lushka wrote:I know this has probably been asked but I didn't see it.... Are graduates without significant work experience at a disadvantage graduationing fron Northwestern with so many other graduates having had that significant work experience? Thanks!
wanna know about this too.
This is definitely something you should take into account if you don't have prior work experience. You will be competing against your classmates in the job market at least to some degree. Work experience is a factor in that, and one that you can't improve on once you are in school. There's room for argument about how much a factor it is, and how hard it is to overcome, but it is something to consider.

Do you think having work experience gives them any type of upper hand in doing well in school? Or maybe the opposite being they were out of school life for a few years?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:16 am

I might be in Chicago in a few weeks to check out NU (super early but meh, the opportunity came up). It'll be my first time in Chicago EVER, any places in particular other than the campus itself I should check out? (:

forward

Bronze

Post by forward » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:22 am

crumpetsandtea wrote:I might be in Chicago in a few weeks to check out NU (super early but meh, the opportunity came up). It'll be my first time in Chicago EVER, any places in particular other than the campus itself I should check out? (:
Boystown. As if you needed to ask. <3

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:54 am

forward wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:I might be in Chicago in a few weeks to check out NU (super early but meh, the opportunity came up). It'll be my first time in Chicago EVER, any places in particular other than the campus itself I should check out? (:
Boystown. As if you needed to ask. <3
EXCELLENT. I can get a head start on my f-hag network of amazingness in Chicago before I even apply to NU. Come and visit from Wisco or something, we'll tear it up <3 :mrgreen:

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:41 am

lushka wrote:
bdemon wrote:
casterfield wrote:
lushka wrote:I know this has probably been asked but I didn't see it.... Are graduates without significant work experience at a disadvantage graduationing fron Northwestern with so many other graduates having had that significant work experience? Thanks!
wanna know about this too.
This is definitely something you should take into account if you don't have prior work experience. You will be competing against your classmates in the job market at least to some degree. Work experience is a factor in that, and one that you can't improve on once you are in school. There's room for argument about how much a factor it is, and how hard it is to overcome, but it is something to consider.

Do you think having work experience gives them any type of upper hand in doing well in school? Or maybe the opposite being they were out of school life for a few years?
I'm assuming you are referencing grades. I have seen no correlation. Some who have been out of UG for a while do great, some do not. Goes the same for the few we have fresh out of UG. I haven't seen an accurate predictor for law school success yet.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:12 pm

Bumi wrote:

There is a place called Gino's East a couple blocks west of the school. It's kinda expensive but it's good.

ArghItsBlarg

Bronze

Post by ArghItsBlarg » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:05 pm

Gino's is pretty good deep dish, although I prefer Giordano's or Pizzaria Uno. Lou Malnati's is okay.

I can't comment on any of the above's proximity to the law school, but more as an overall Chicago experience.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:10 pm

ArghItsBlarg wrote:Gino's is pretty good deep dish, although I prefer Giordano's or Pizzaria Uno. Lou Malnati's is okay.

I can't comment on any of the above's proximity to the law school, but more as an overall Chicago experience.
Can I live in Chicago if I really dislike deep dish pizza (and anything besides mustard and ketchup on my hot dog)?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:27 pm

ArghItsBlarg wrote:Gino's is pretty good deep dish, although I prefer Giordano's or Pizzaria Uno. Lou Malnati's is okay.

How does Uno compare to other deep dish in Chicago? I loved their franchises that they used to have in CA.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

NDDT

New

Post by NDDT » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:38 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:

Can I live in Chicago if I really dislike deep dish pizza (and anything besides mustard and ketchup on my hot dog)?
Uno is the best, hands down. I've been to Gino's, Giordanos, Lou's, and Due as well. The franchise Unos are not the same as the original Uno either.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:28 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:

Of course. In fact most pizza places in Chicago don't really do deep dish, or do it poorly.

But never put ketchup on a hot dog. That's gross.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:41 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:

If you live in Chicago you are required to eat hot dogs with mustard, pickles,onion, tomato, hot peppers, and bright green relish. Ketchup is strictly forbidden.

taw856

Bronze

Post by taw856 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:42 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Can I live in Chicago if I ... [put] ketchup on my hot dog)?
--LinkRemoved--

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ArghItsBlarg

Bronze

Post by ArghItsBlarg » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:43 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

Of course. In fact most pizza places in Chicago don't really do deep dish, or do it poorly.

But never put ketchup on a hot dog. That's gross.
Credited Response.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:43 pm

bdubs wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

If you live in Chicago you are required to eat hot dogs with mustard, pickles,onion, tomato, hot peppers, and bright green relish. Ketchup is strictly forbidden.
Crap. Ave Maria it is, then.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:48 pm

NDDT wrote:Uno is the best, hands down. I've been to Gino's, Giordanos, Lou's, and Due as well. The franchise Unos are not the same as the original Uno either.
I had Due the other week when I went to visit Chicago and it sucked. I love Unos franchises but the pizza I got from Due took 30 minutes longer than the estimated time (they told me 40 minutes, it took over an hour), had the wrong toppings (but I wasn't going to wait another 40+ minutes for them to remake), and it was way overcooked/burnt (the crust was pitch black in certain parts and mostly rock hard). I really hope this is not representative of the way the Uno/Due pizzas are normally. I was a sad sad panda. :(

Bumi

Silver

Post by Bumi » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:03 pm

bjsesq wrote:I have just the place for you. Silver Spoon. Cheap but good thai food. 3 blocks from the school. BYOB. WIN
Excellent recommendation. Thank you.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

hipstermafia

Silver

Post by hipstermafia » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:07 pm

chicago has byob restaurants????? i am in love.

dddhhh

Bronze

Post by dddhhh » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:23 pm

hipstermafia wrote:chicago has byob restaurants????? i am in love.
wow so i just walk in with a bottle of wine and that's okay? that's awesome!

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:28 pm

dddhhh wrote:
Bring scotch instead. Go big.

dddhhh

Bronze

Post by dddhhh » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:29 pm

bjsesq wrote:
dddhhh wrote:
Bring scotch instead. Go big.
awesome! this blows my mind...probably cuz i'm from a small town! lol

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”