Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Dr. Filth

Silver

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

Post by Dr. Filth » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:32 pm

I am from a small town and went to college in a small town, so PT was completely foreign to me. I still didn't bring a car. It's not a bad adjustment at all.

And I live in lakeview and it's still 200$ a month for parking at my building.

There are three grocery stores within 3 blocks of my place if that's what you're worried about.

kenwash

Bronze

Post by kenwash » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:30 pm

Have you all found that the COL estimates (~$18,000 for room and board + personal + transportation per academic year) are accurate? I'm interested in living in the Streeterville area if it helps. Also, does the cost of the unlimited CTA pass come out of tuition or is it a separate expense?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:40 pm

kenwash wrote:Have you all found that the COL estimates (~$18,000 for room and board + personal + transportation per academic year) are accurate? I'm interested in living in the Streeterville area if it helps. Also, does the cost of the unlimited CTA pass come out of tuition or is it a separate expense?
The CTA pass is covered by tuition. You can definitely live within the 18k though I know some people who struggled.

LRGhost

Gold

Post by LRGhost » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:54 pm

kenwash wrote:Have you all found that the COL estimates (~$18,000 for room and board + personal + transportation per academic year) are accurate? I'm interested in living in the Streeterville area if it helps. Also, does the cost of the unlimited CTA pass come out of tuition or is it a separate expense?
It's really hard if you want to be there the whole year. I think you can get a $5,000 loan over summer which would hold it over, but figure that went is going to be around $13,000 for the year and you have $5,000 to play with which doesn't sound so bad ~$400 a month isn't all that much, especially if you have any large expense (like a plane ticket, suit, doctor, winter clothes, etc.)

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:57 pm

LRGhost wrote:
It's really hard if you want to be there the whole year. I think you can get a $5,000 loan over summer which would hold it over, but figure that went is going to be around $13,000 for the year and you have $5,000 to play with which doesn't sound so bad ~$400 a month isn't all that much, especially if you have any large expense (like a plane ticket, suit, doctor, winter clothes, etc.)
You can get a $5000 loan if you are earning class credit over the summer, in a summer class or practicum. You can get a similar-sized grant (it's $6000 this year but varies) from SFPIF for an unpaid public interest job if you put in your SFPIF work hours over the year (10 hrs per semester). You can't just take out a COL loan if you're not doing something school-related.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

holly45

New

Post by holly45 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:19 am

Is it easy to sublet your apartment (say, in streeterville) for the summer?

Kikero

Silver

Post by Kikero » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:23 am

holly45 wrote:Is it easy to sublet your apartment (say, in streeterville) for the summer?
I think it's pretty easy. I know I found somebody to take my place in Lincoln Park within a week of listing it. I also have a lot of friends subletting their places closer to school. I don't know if they're getting full rent + utilities or if they're giving a small discount since Streeterville is expensive, but I don't think you'd have trouble finding someone.

M458

Bronze

Post by M458 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:42 am

Dr. Filth wrote:I am from a small town and went to college in a small town, so PT was completely foreign to me. I still didn't bring a car. It's not a bad adjustment at all.

There are three grocery stores within 3 blocks of my place if that's what you're worried about.
I'm so jealous :(

Pokemon

Gold

Post by Pokemon » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:58 pm

I do not think 18k a year is enough. In Streeterville, take out at 13k for rent. You are left with 5k. Just think of flights you might have to take, and all of the sudden you are at 3,500-4,000. I cannot imagine someone being able to live on that income. Also, always, always something happens where you need to spend some extra money on: laptop breaks, insurance bill, suit no longer fits you etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

splitsplat

Silver

Post by splitsplat » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:15 pm

M458 wrote:
Dr. Filth wrote:I am from a small town and went to college in a small town, so PT was completely foreign to me. I still didn't bring a car. It's not a bad adjustment at all.

I'm so jealous :(
well there used to be 3 grocery stores in streeterville right by school...

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:16 pm

Pokemon wrote:

I do not think 18k a year is enough. In Streeterville, take out at 13k for rent. You are left with 5k. Just think of flights you might have to take, and all of the sudden you are at 3,500-4,000. I cannot imagine someone being able to live on that income. Also, always, always something happens where you need to spend some extra money on: laptop breaks, insurance bill, suit no longer fits you etc.
You get one extra loan for a new laptop any time during your three years here. Also you get loans for insurance (even for dependents). But yes, other emergencies (like TWO laptops breaking) would cost a lot of money.
I live in Streeterville and can definitely say the loan money has not been enough. But, it was my choice to live in Streeterville, so... :?

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:21 pm

I don't do roommates, and my loans were never enough. I had to rely a lot on savings, and did a couple short stints working to get extra spending money.

Wildcats17

New

Post by Wildcats17 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:07 pm

I'm an 0L and my parents live in the suburbs, I could potentially live with them to save some money, but I'm not sure if its worth it. I would be looking at a commute of anywhere from 45-90 minutes depending on time of day, and I know 1Ls usually have an early class which means rush hour so probably closer to the 90min mark on the way there. The stress of the commute and living at home doesn't sound great added on to the normal stress of 1L, but saving almost all of COL is really tempting. Any thoughts?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:09 pm

Yeah, $1,500 per month for rent makes it pretty tough to stay within $18k. But you don't have to pay $1,500 per month for rent. At least in 2009, Onterie was like $1,100 or so.

feralinfant

Silver

Post by feralinfant » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:15 pm

Wildcats17 wrote:I'm an 0L and my parents live in the suburbs, I could potentially live with them to save some money, but I'm not sure if its worth it. I would be looking at a commute of anywhere from 45-90 minutes depending on time of day, and I know 1Ls usually have an early class which means rush hour so probably closer to the 90min mark on the way there. The stress of the commute and living at home doesn't sound great added on to the normal stress of 1L, but saving almost all of COL is really tempting. Any thoughts?
I am not a streeterville or bust person but don't live in the burbs. it will be hell w/ how much you need to be at school + early classes.

Wildcats17

New

Post by Wildcats17 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:23 pm

feralinfant wrote:
Wildcats17 wrote:I'm an 0L and my parents live in the suburbs, I could potentially live with them to save some money, but I'm not sure if its worth it. I would be looking at a commute of anywhere from 45-90 minutes depending on time of day, and I know 1Ls usually have an early class which means rush hour so probably closer to the 90min mark on the way there. The stress of the commute and living at home doesn't sound great added on to the normal stress of 1L, but saving almost all of COL is really tempting. Any thoughts?
I am not a streeterville or bust person but don't live in the burbs. it will be hell w/ how much you need to be at school + early classes.
Thanks, I was hoping that's what you guys would say.

LRGhost

Gold

Post by LRGhost » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:44 pm

Don't live far away because part of the fun is being able to hang out and do stuff and if you drive, you'll have a rough time of it going out at night, etc.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

zugzwanger

Bronze

Post by zugzwanger » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:16 pm

LRGhost wrote:Don't live far away because part of the fun is being able to hang out and do stuff and if you drive, you'll have a rough time of it going out at night, etc.
Ehhh there's good public transit and it can definitely be worth the savings though

feralinfant

Silver

Post by feralinfant » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:55 pm

zugzwanger wrote:
LRGhost wrote:Don't live far away because part of the fun is being able to hang out and do stuff and if you drive, you'll have a rough time of it going out at night, etc.
Ehhh there's good public transit and it can definitely be worth the savings though
LRGhost's points are valid but even if you were willing to basically sacrifice to a huge extent socializing (which seems terrible) there are still reasons not to do it.

I live in Lakeview and making it to 8 am classes in the winter is rough. Not just because its cold but because if any snow hits the ground traffic grinds to a halt. It doubled my commute every single time if i took the express bus.

Even if you're on a train-The commute will be brutal for days when you have class at 8 AM another class in the afternoon at say 1:30 and then X that night. THis could potentially be a CLR class which will close out at 5:30 once a week. That might not be that bad, but will happen every week. But there could be a firm event or networking reception of some kind that might run to say, 9 pm. So you'll have to commute in really early, then spend all your dead time at school/downtown chicago until the event at lets say, 7, then commute home awfully late. It'll make networking incredibly onerous every single time. By the time finals are getting close you really just don't want to spend 2-3 hours a day commuting. It will suck.

feralinfant

Silver

Post by feralinfant » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:06 pm

Also just to elaborate on LRGhost's point:

It's worth noting-what if a date goes really well and you want to invite him/her back to your place. TTT.

Semi-related: bar review can be rough.

My parents having no idea what kind of shape I'm in after the halloween bar review or a night at the hangee uppe is easily worth 15k. :D

d cooper

Bronze

Post by d cooper » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:22 pm

feralinfant wrote: I live in Lakeview and making it to 8 am classes in the winter is rough. Not just because its cold but because if any snow hits the ground traffic grinds to a halt. It doubled my commute every single time if i took the express bus.

Even if you're on a train-The commute will be brutal for days when you have class at 8 AM another class in the afternoon at say 1:30 and then X that night. THis could potentially be a CLR class which will close out at 5:30 once a week. That might not be that bad, but will happen every week. But there could be a firm event or networking reception of some kind that might run to say, 9 pm. So you'll have to commute in really early, then spend all your dead time at school/downtown chicago until the event at lets say, 7, then commute home awfully late. It'll make networking incredibly onerous every single time. By the time finals are getting close you really just don't want to spend 2-3 hours a day commuting. It will suck.
Yuck. Streeterville seems worth it over the north side neighborhoods just for this. It's a shame the area seems hostile to dogs.

How common are 8 a.m. classes?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

feralinfant

Silver

Post by feralinfant » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:52 pm

d cooper wrote:
feralinfant wrote: I live in Lakeview and making it to 8 am classes in the winter is rough. Not just because its cold but because if any snow hits the ground traffic grinds to a halt. It doubled my commute every single time if i took the express bus.

Yuck. Streeterville seems worth it over the north side neighborhoods just for this. It's a shame the area seems hostile to dogs.

How common are 8 a.m. classes?
Honestly it's really not that bad most of the time, 20-30 mins door to door for me usually if i time it right with transit stop. This winter was just especially excruciating. Arguably one of the worst Chicago has ever had. Being outside at all was basically painful no matter what you did which could make a not long walk from the red line seem insurmountable for example.

And I overstated a bit: I've had an 8:45 class 3 days a week each semester. About half the class got luckier 2nd semester and had their assigned doctrinal class start at 9:45 instead.

That being said I am moving a little bit closer after my lease runs out (looking at old town). But Lincoln Park and Lakeview are very very doable. I was just trying to point out that rush hour concerns obviously compound with winter and they compound more the farther out you are, so living in the burbs actually sounds soulcrushing to me.

Also paging Cobretti re dogs.

Dr. Filth

Silver

Post by Dr. Filth » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:00 pm

i'm the most anti-morning person, but it's really not that bad. the express bus is fine. it did get noticeably worse second semester too, but it's fine now. it's a much nicer place to live. not streeterville or bust

zugzwanger

Bronze

Post by zugzwanger » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:14 pm

Huge difference between living at home v. living in lakeviewish area and saving money on rent rather than living in streeterville, but definitely problematic on the morning commute no doubt about that

feralinfant

Silver

Post by feralinfant » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:33 pm

zugzwanger wrote:Huge difference between living at home v. living in lakeviewish area and saving money on rent rather than living in streeterville, but definitely problematic on the morning commute no doubt about that
I feel like the context of my original comment is being missed. Someone was considering living with their parents in the burbs and I was saying it seemed like a bad idea.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”