Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
homestyle28

Gold

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Post by homestyle28 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:49 am

Also anyone have supplement suggestions for Admin or FedJur? The Chemerinsky conlaw bible was great, so is that just the obvious way to go for fedjur?

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:17 am

homestyle28 wrote:
IAFG wrote:SUSIE IS PREGNANT TOO?!
Damn, ray gets around! amirite?
Ba dump bump. He'll be here all night ladies and gentlemen.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:42 am

homestyle28 wrote:Also anyone have supplement suggestions for Admin or FedJur?
Yeah: don't take them.

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:39 pm

homestyle28 wrote:Also anyone have supplement suggestions for Admin or FedJur? The Chemerinsky conlaw bible was great, so is that just the obvious way to go for fedjur?
Didn't Pfander write the horn book?

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:45 pm

Flips88 wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:Also anyone have supplement suggestions for Admin or FedJur? The Chemerinsky conlaw bible was great, so is that just the obvious way to go for fedjur?
Didn't Pfander write the horn book?
Apparently, yes...but I had to google for like 10 full seconds to figure that out.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:37 pm

Icculus wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Like, what would be a bad topic of conversation with him?

Right now I can't imagine having any conversation more personal than "gosh, I really like the pretty courtyard" with any faculty. Maybe "what classes would you recommend?"
That will probably change. I don't really want to get into specifics here, but it's one of those things that Cliff is the dean of students so if you go to him with an issue/problem and there is a conflict between you and the school/school rules he will have to come out on the side of the school. However, bj is right that there are times where he can be an invaluable resource. this is especially true during exam time if any issues come up from technical to personal. He can be a great resource so long as you go to him at the right times.
Sometimes, people go to Cliff to say that little girls are being mean to them. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:38 pm

The Admin E&E was fine, but personally I found out outlines and attack sheets to be much more useful.

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:48 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
Icculus wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Like, what would be a bad topic of conversation with him?

Right now I can't imagine having any conversation more personal than "gosh, I really like the pretty courtyard" with any faculty. Maybe "what classes would you recommend?"
That will probably change. I don't really want to get into specifics here, but it's one of those things that Cliff is the dean of students so if you go to him with an issue/problem and there is a conflict between you and the school/school rules he will have to come out on the side of the school. However, bj is right that there are times where he can be an invaluable resource. this is especially true during exam time if any issues come up from technical to personal. He can be a great resource so long as you go to him at the right times.
Sometimes, people go to Cliff to say that little girls are being mean to them. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
There are no mean girls at NU, right?

lgleye

Bronze

Post by lgleye » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:25 pm

Last edited by lgleye on Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:33 pm

lgleye wrote:Hi:

Can't believe that law school starts so soon.....could anyone tell me the links to get at the final exam bank for our 1L courses? Thanks for your help.
https://www.law.northwestern.edu/librar ... ereserves/

These won't be useful to you for months.

lgleye

Bronze

Post by lgleye » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:55 pm

Last edited by lgleye on Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:56 pm

lgleye wrote:
bk187 wrote:
lgleye wrote:Hi:

Can't believe that law school starts so soon.....could anyone tell me the links to get at the final exam bank for our 1L courses? Thanks for your help.
https://www.law.northwestern.edu/librar ... ereserves/

These won't be useful to you for months.
Thanks for the lightning response.... I just figured that by glancing at the exam, I could figure out whether the prof is BLL or "concept-driven". If BLL, then I can rely more on supplements.
Our log-ins won't let us access the exams yet.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:59 pm

Case briefing seems largely pointless. amidoinitrite?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:39 pm

Samara wrote:Case briefing seems largely pointless. amidoinitrite?
My view on this is probably somewhat contrary to the CW, but I briefed cases until October. It really helped me learn how to read cases quickly and efficiently. I tripled my reading speed between September and November while improving accuracy, and I think briefing had a lot to do with it.

Now whether you should read cases at all is another contentious topic. Some people swear by supplements. I don't retain anything from supplements--I have to read the cases and attach the rules to a story to remember them. I only use supplements at the outlining stage to verify my understanding. If you can accurately retain information from the supplements, then go for it, it takes a lot less time that way.

In general, play around with different studying techniques for the next month or two to see what works. At this stage developing an effective strategy is a more valuable use of your time than learning the law.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:06 pm

rayiner wrote:In general, play around with different studying techniques for the next month or two to see what works. At this stage developing an effective strategy is a more valuable use of your time than learning the law.
This is definitely my goal. In fairness, I haven't really started in on the doctrinal classes yet, just CLR. We went over case briefing in CLR and my professor hammered home that there are several "correct" ways to state a case's holding, depending on what is most relevant to the point you are trying to make or case you are dealing with. Thus, it seems to make a lot more sense to "brief" cases in terms of the concept you are learning, rather than word vomiting all points from the case that might be relevant. Does that make sense? Am I describing outlining?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:12 pm

rayiner wrote:In general, play around with different studying techniques for the next month or two to see what works. At this stage developing an effective strategy is a more valuable use of your time than learning the law.
I think this is the most important thing. Unlike rayiner, I stopped briefing about a week in. I stopped reading on time around 6 weeks (and then crammed a bunch of reading towards the end of the semester). I would use online briefs in case I got cold-called. I went to every class and then at the end of the semester spent a ton of time outlining/PTing. It worked for me but it's not for everyone.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:27 pm

Samara wrote:
This is definitely my goal. In fairness, I haven't really started in on the doctrinal classes yet, just CLR. We went over case briefing in CLR and my professor hammered home that there are several "correct" ways to state a case's holding, depending on what is most relevant to the point you are trying to make or case you are dealing with. Thus, it seems to make a lot more sense to "brief" cases in terms of the concept you are learning, rather than word vomiting all points from the case that might be relevant. Does that make sense? Am I describing outlining?
Don't let what you learn in CLR leak into how you study for your other classes. Don't blow of CLR, because at the end of the day it's still basically curved and a B will bring you down, but do treat it as its own thing with its own rules.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:29 pm

bk187 wrote:
I think this is the most important thing. Unlike rayiner, I stopped briefing about a week in. I stopped reading on time around 6 weeks (and then crammed a bunch of reading towards the end of the semester). I would use online briefs in case I got cold-called. I went to every class and then at the end of the semester spent a ton of time outlining/PTing. It worked for me but it's not for everyone.
I mean, I blew off the reading till the end too, but I wouldn't encourage people to do it. Frankly, because you learn how to study during the semester, one hour of reading is much more valuable in November than in September. But unless you're the type of person who can sit still and read 100 pages of a casebook in one sitting, you might want to spread things out.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:45 pm

rayiner wrote:I mean, I blew off the reading till the end too, but I wouldn't encourage people to do it. Frankly, because you learn how to study during the semester, one hour of reading is much more valuable in November than in September. But unless you're the type of person who can sit still and read 100 pages of a casebook in one sitting, you might want to spread things out.
Agreed.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:46 pm

rayiner wrote:
bk187 wrote:
I mean, I blew off the reading till the end too, but I wouldn't encourage people to do it. Frankly, because you learn how to study during the semester, one hour of reading is much more valuable in November than in September. But unless you're the type of person who can sit still and read 100 pages of a casebook in one sitting, you might want to spread things out.
IMO staying up to date on reading is not hard and is very worthwhile. If you leave it to the end the chances of not doing it or not absorbing anything are much higher. Having read everything made outlining, check listing, and PTs much easier for me to manage in the relatively short period before first semester finals. There was one class 2nd semester where I did put off a significant amount of reading until the end and it made studying for the test much more cumbersome (although it had no influence on my performance).

Blumpbeef

Gold

Post by Blumpbeef » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:59 am

What legal dictionary should I get/does anyone have one to sell?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

splitmuch

Silver

Post by splitmuch » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:11 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:What legal dictionary should I get/does anyone have one to sell?
Google.com. But if you insist ill gladly sell you my unused one

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:29 pm

splitmuch wrote:
Blumpbeef wrote:What legal dictionary should I get/does anyone have one to sell?
Google.com. But if you insist ill gladly sell you my unused one
+1.

dolfan0516

Bronze

Post by dolfan0516 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:11 pm

I have four classes tomorrow. Do I really need to bring the books for all of the classes?

Bumi

Silver

Post by Bumi » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:29 pm

dolfan0516 wrote:I have four classes tomorrow. Do I really need to bring the books for all of the classes?
You need your casebooks in your doctrinal classes.

You almost certainly don't need to bring your CLR book to that class, but you should also already know what that professor expects.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”