Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.

Diamond

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Post by 09042014 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:15 pm

Snape wrote:So when are fall grades released?
In like 2-3 weeks. After add drop usually. Though school is starting a week later this time.

Georgia Avenue

Bronze

Post by Georgia Avenue » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:57 pm

obligatory "hopefully never"

purpletiger

New

Post by purpletiger » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:20 pm

Last year's grades were released on Jan. 11, but classes also ended 5 days earlier for the fall semester, so it will probably be something like Jan. 16. That's assuming that the grade timeline for the professors is the same. Dean Kagan is back, so we'll probably not have an interminable delay like last spring semester.

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:28 pm

Georgia Avenue wrote:
obligatory "hopefully never"
preach brother.

basilseal

Bronze

Post by basilseal » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:24 pm

Was told Jan. 16/17 by career services.

Also- what to do when one had ordered books online based on Abbot Bookstore's automated list, and then the syllabus turns out to be utterly different? Any recourse? I'm afraid some of the third parties I bought used books from will have a "no returns" policy.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

penguin1

New

Post by penguin1 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:19 pm

still deciding on spring classes - any advice on which to choose between torts II, narrative structures, or jurisprudence?
thanks!

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:21 pm

penguin1 wrote:still deciding on spring classes - any advice on which to choose between torts II, narrative structures, or jurisprudence?
thanks!
I have heard great things about torts II, don't know much about jurisprudence, and have been told by several friends never to take narrative structures because the grading is a super crap shoot.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:22 pm

Icculus wrote:
penguin1 wrote:still deciding on spring classes - any advice on which to choose between torts II, narrative structures, or jurisprudence?
thanks!
I have heard great things about torts II, don't know much about jurisprudence, and have been told by several friends never to take narrative structures because the grading is a super crap shoot.
Plus, I'll be in narrative structures. That would all but seal the deal for a miserable learning experience.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:23 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Icculus wrote:
thanks!
Plus, I'll be in narrative structures. That would all but seal the deal for a miserable learning experience.
I expect your erotic to step it up a notch now.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:25 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
Icculus wrote:
thanks!
I expect your erotic to step it up a notch now.
Expect a parallel narrative structure that juxtaposes developments in nazi germany against the torrid love affair of two law students. It will have hatred, suffering, and anal fisting.

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:30 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Expect a parallel narrative structure that juxtaposes developments in nazi germany against the torrid love affair of two law students. It will have hatred, suffering, and anal fisting.
You are truly a gentleman and a scholar.

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:35 pm

Suddenly I want to take narrative structures...

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:42 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:Suddenly I want to take narrative structures...
As she slid easily into her seat, he slid easily into her. What one class has brought together, let no law tear asunder.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:52 pm

bjsesq wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:Suddenly I want to take narrative structures...
As she slid easily into her seat, he slid easily into her. What one class has brought together, let no law tear asunder.

:-D

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:12 pm

basilseal wrote:Was told Jan. 16/17 by career services.

Also- what to do when one had ordered books online based on Abbot Bookstore's automated list, and then the syllabus turns out to be utterly different? Any recourse? I'm afraid some of the third parties I bought used books from will have a "no returns" policy.
Ugh. I was luckily able to cancel my amazon order today for that class. And now I need to find what else to take instead, because I sure as shit am not taking a TWO CREDIT class that requires a 20 page paper, 150+ pages of reading per week, and a take home final.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:15 pm

Flips88 wrote:

Ugh. I was luckily able to cancel my amazon order today for that class. And now I need to find what else to take instead, because I sure as shit am not taking a TWO CREDIT class that requires a 20 page paper, 150+ pages of reading per week, and a take home final.
Damn what class is that?

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:26 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Flips88 wrote:

Damn what class is that?
Calabresi's Advanced Con Law Seminar
The requirements for the course are that you come to class and be prepared, that you write a twenty page paper on a topic that Professor Calabresi has approved, and that you take a take home exam that will be handed out at the time of the last class and which you must e-mail back to me by the last day of the final exam period.
Isn't the point of a seminar to write a paper instead of take an exam?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:32 pm

Flips88 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Flips88 wrote:

Damn what class is that?
Calabresi's Advanced Con Law Seminar
The requirements for the course are that you come to class and be prepared, that you write a twenty page paper on a topic that Professor Calabresi has approved, and that you take a take home exam that will be handed out at the time of the last class and which you must e-mail back to me by the last day of the final exam period.
Isn't the point of a seminar to write a paper instead of take an exam?
Damn that is terrible.

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:39 pm

So since I'm dropping that...which of these would be the least terrible replacement?

International Courts and Tribunals with Nzelibe

Intro to Poverty Law with Wilson

The U.S. Supreme Court with Murphey

Advanced Topics in Litigation with Ferguson and Gill

Georgia Avenue

Bronze

Post by Georgia Avenue » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:46 pm

Flips88 wrote:So since I'm dropping that...which of these would be the least terrible replacement?

I had Audra for the practicum this summer and enjoyed it, although it was pretty much like an undergrad class all over again (which isn't necessarily a bad thing). Murphey I've heard good things about too. Nzelibe's bread and butter is the international relations stuff, but not sure if he brings the comedy like 1L contracts

Litigation one I don't know anything about.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:10 pm

Flips88 wrote:So since I'm dropping that...which of these would be the least terrible replacement?

Advanced topics was boring as fuck, but required little effort. 20 pager due at the end of the semester, and a presentation in class that was based off the paper. Other than that one topic, I did precisely dick.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:42 pm

Anyone know what the requirements for Colloquium- Environmental Law are to get the extra credit?

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:47 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Anyone know what the requirements for Colloquium- Environmental Law are to get the extra credit?
Most colloqiuams require an extra draft for an extra credit, right?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:49 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Anyone know what the requirements for Colloquium- Environmental Law are to get the extra credit?
That's the thing, they only want :
Grading Policy

Your final grade will be based on (1) a final group project; (2) a short (2-3 page) reaction paper to one of the readings; and (3) and class participation.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:56 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
That's the thing, they only want :
Grading Policy

Your final grade will be based on (1) a final group project; (2) a short (2-3 page) reaction paper to one of the readings; and (3) and class participation.
Sounds like prepare yoy slot type territory, brah.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”