Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Samara

Gold

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Post by Samara » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:39 pm

Roll Fizzlebeef wrote:Whelp, I quit.

Also, thanks. Again.
Haha, chin up, it's your first day and didn't say anything patently dumb. Around here, that's a win. :P

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:02 pm

bk187 wrote:
bdubs wrote: Speaking of no one else teaching antitrust... Fischman is listed in the catalog as teaching it in the Spring. Anyone have experience with him in another class to opine on how he might approach antitrust?
Probably law and econ.
With a healthy dose of trailing off at the end of sentences.

VulcanVulcanVulcan

Bronze

Post by VulcanVulcanVulcan » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:22 pm

Flips88 wrote:
bk187 wrote:
bdubs wrote: Speaking of no one else teaching antitrust... Fischman is listed in the catalog as teaching it in the Spring. Anyone have experience with him in another class to opine on how he might approach antitrust?
Probably law and econ.
You certainly won't escape McGinnis law & econ with Fischman law & econ. That being said, both professors are pretty clear lecturers and don't go heavy on the reading.

D-hops

Silver

Post by D-hops » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:35 am

VulcanVulcanVulcan wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
bk187 wrote:
Probably law and econ.
You certainly won't escape McGinnis law & econ with Fischman law & econ. That being said, both professors are pretty clear lecturers and don't go heavy on the reading.
It's pretty hard to escape law & econ in any antitrust course considering economics is the foundation for pretty much all antitrust law.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:46 am

D-hops wrote:It's pretty hard to escape law & econ in any antitrust course considering economics is the foundation for pretty much all antitrust law.
The reason I asked is because I've heard McGinnis injects his own Chicago School beliefs into the course. Interested to know whether Fischman is seen as more balanced (from whatever other courses he has taught).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

laww

Bronze

Post by laww » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:39 pm

Can someone explain the NU LST charts to me?

Why is the employment score 76%?

I'm a splitter and I hope NU accepts me when I apply this year.

What would my job prospects be if I got into NU?

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:42 pm

bdubs wrote:
D-hops wrote:It's pretty hard to escape law & econ in any antitrust course considering economics is the foundation for pretty much all antitrust law.
The reason I asked is because I've heard McGinnis injects his own Chicago School beliefs into the course. Interested to know whether Fischman is seen as more balanced (from whatever other courses he has taught).
"
McGinnis injects whatever beliefs are the opposite of the side you are arguing for. He's a good guy.
laww wrote:What would my job prospects be if I got into NU?
There are far too many variables for anyone to ever give you a decent answer to this.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:44 pm

laww wrote:Can someone explain the NU LST charts to me?

What do you mean "Why is the employment score 76%"? Are you asking what metrics they used to determine that, or are you asking why we don't have more employed grads?

NU has a pretty good reputation for placing a large # of students in biglaw jobs, so if that's what you want, you should have decent job prospects coming into NU. Of course, this is assuming you 1) get decent grades, 2) aren't a totally awkward person in interviews and 3) want biglaw.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:46 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:

What do you mean "Why is the employment score 76%"? Are you asking what metrics they used to determine that, or are you asking why we don't have more employed grads?

NU has a pretty good reputation for placing a large # of students in biglaw jobs, so if that's what you want, you should have decent job prospects coming into NU. Of course, this is assuming you 1) get decent grades, 2) aren't a totally awkward person in interviews and 3) want biglaw.
Also depends on where you want to work, previous work experience and a number of other factors. Like bjs said, it's too complicated to give a personalized answer.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:58 pm

Fortunately for you someone just happens to have asked this same question very recently. You should check out this thread: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 1&t=212418

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:51 pm

Last question on this topic, I swear: anyone know how competitive the medical innovations class is to get into? Are there usually a ton of people who apply?

laww

Bronze

Post by laww » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:52 am

Cobretti wrote:

Fortunately for you someone just happens to have asked this same question very recently. You should check out this thread: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 1&t=212418
That was me lol.

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:43 am

laww wrote:
Cobretti wrote:

That was me lol.
Omg weird

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Evaly

New

Post by Evaly » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:47 pm

Anyone have knowledge of the advanced tax classes. I am interested in taking corporate tax or international tax but would also appreciate info on partnership and entity. Can regular JDs even get into those classes?

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:05 am

Evaly wrote:Anyone have knowledge of the advanced tax classes. I am interested in taking corporate tax or international tax but would also appreciate info on partnership and entity. Can regular JDs even get into those classes?
Yes, regular JDs can take them. They are tough and a lot of work for only two credits. If you aren't sure which one to take, or if any at all, I suggest talking to Prof Cameron. I don't know enough about those individual classes to give you advice.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:06 am

Is Cameron as much of a dickbag in his tax classes as he is in property?

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:25 am

bjsesq wrote:Is Cameron as much of a dickbag in his tax classes as he is in property?
I have heard no from people who had properly with me with him.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Bumi

Silver

Post by Bumi » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:22 am

Evaly wrote:Anyone have knowledge of the advanced tax classes. I am interested in taking corporate tax or international tax but would also appreciate info on partnership and entity. Can regular JDs even get into those classes?
Entity is designed for JDs, it isn't a tax LLM class. You do half a semester on Partnership and half a semester on Corporate. If you just want a little exposure to real tax concepts, it's a good option. The partnership side of it was great if difficult, but the corporate side of it moved way too fast and had the most unnecessarily complicated syllabus I have ever seen or even heard of. On the bright side, the readings for Corporate are from the E&E, seriously, the E&E is the required text. It is uncurved, but don't think of it as an uncurved class. You can get your ass kicked in there.

The other classes for tax LLMs, I have no idea. I know my friend who has taken some them says they are way more than 2 credits of work, but she loves them anyway.

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:03 am

Please tell me everything you know about Streeter Place. I searched the forums and the little I found was at least a year old. I might be committing to them TODAY and they look great, take my 72 lb dog and all that, but I need to know if there is something off about the place, thanks!

More info: I will be paying $1879 for a 1 br 8xx sf. which is expensive, but my wife will be there working so w/e loans don't cover she will.

Thanks for any info!

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:08 am

Micdiddy wrote:Please tell me everything you know about Streeter Place. I searched the forums and the little I found was at least a year old. I might be committing to them TODAY and they look great, take my 72 lb dog and all that, but I need to know if there is something off about the place, thanks!

More info: I will be paying $1879 for a 1 br 8xx sf. which is expensive, but my wife will be there working so w/e loans don't cover she will.

Thanks for any info!
Dude, you can get a place literally twice that size for less money per month in Lincoln Park/Lakeview that is much more dog friendly.

Big Dog

Silver

Post by Big Dog » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:13 am

Lincoln Park is much more friendly for dog walking, too!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

splitsplat

Silver

Post by splitsplat » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:14 am

Micdiddy wrote:Please tell me everything you know about Streeter Place. I searched the forums and the little I found was at least a year old. I might be committing to them TODAY and they look great, take my 72 lb dog and all that, but I need to know if there is something off about the place, thanks!

Thanks for any info!
that is actually a very good price. i looked into the streeter because it was one of the few places around school that has in unit washer/dryer + excellent amenities. (other places that have w/d are usually condo buildings with lesser facilities).

just fyi convertibles for the streeter routinely rent in the 1900-2100 price range on higher floors, so if it's a 1 bedroom i would definitely take it, especially if in unit w/d is important to you + walking proximity to school.

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:25 am

So I know that better prices for apartments farther away from Northwestern, but my wife and I really want to be in walking distance to make sure we actually see each other during the day. If I have an hour and a half break and it takes me 20 minutes to get home and 20 minutes get back I'm probably just staying at school :/
Idk, We've talked a lot about the importance of proximity and came to the conclusion it was very important, but I'm not 100% sure.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:27 am

Micdiddy wrote:So I know that better prices for apartments farther away from Northwestern, but my wife and I really want to be in walking distance to make sure we actually see each other during the day. If I have an hour and a half break and it takes me 20 minutes to get home and 20 minutes get back I'm probably just staying at school :/
Idk, We've talked a lot about the importance of proximity and came to the conclusion it was very important, but I'm not 100% sure.
Does your wife work in the evenings or something? Because otherwise, I would recommend staying at school and treating it like a job. If you go home during the day to hang out with her, when are you going to study?

D-hops

Silver

Post by D-hops » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:38 am

Samara wrote:

Thanks for any info!
Dude, you can get a place literally twice that size for less money per month in Lincoln Park/Lakeview that is much more dog friendly.
You are vastly overestimating the size of a place you can get in Lincoln Park/Lakeview at that price. Either that or you are implicitly reducing the quality of the apartment significantly from what you'll get in the Streeter.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”