Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Cellar-door

Bronze

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Post by Cellar-door » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:30 pm

Hey All,

So I just got a last minute scholarship increase and I'm debating NU vs WUSTL (with more money obviously) as I'm breaking down the debt etc. I started looking at apartments in Chicago.
Problem is I'm not seeing much that is:
1. Close to the school (for a person who does not drive)
2. not way above the school's projection of 14000 a year room and board. (since I don't drive I can slide most of the Transportation projection over making it a bit over 15000)

Am I missing something, or is NU shorting the Room and Board projection as opposed to most schools where they seem to overestimate to a point where it is not only reasonable for 12 months rather than 9, but even has some left over.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:34 pm

Rink, I don't know about that professor, but I enjoyed Fed Tax with Brennan. You don't need to know math or econ for it. I assume you aren't super averse to numbers?

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:35 pm

Cellar-door wrote:Hey All,

So I just got a last minute scholarship increase and I'm debating NU vs WUSTL (with more money obviously) as I'm breaking down the debt etc. I started looking at apartments in Chicago.
2. not way above the school's projection of 14000 a year room and board. (since I don't drive I can slide most of the Transportation projection over making it a bit over 15000)

Am I missing something, or is NU shorting the Room and Board projection as opposed to most schools where they seem to overestimate to a point where it is not only reasonable for 12 months rather than 9, but even has some left over.
East Lakeview is your friend. Lots of people live in Streeterville, but I don't know how many do it on just the loans.

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:46 pm

I have a 2bd in Lakeview with another student, right on the express bus line and walkable to the red line. We pay $1500 a month split, so $750 each. You could probably find a studio in that area for under $1000 all in.

Cellar-door

Bronze

Post by Cellar-door » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:58 pm

Icculus wrote:

I have a 2bd in Lakeview with another student, right on the express bus line and walkable to the red line. We pay $1500 a month split, so $750 each. You could probably find a studio in that area for under $1000 all in.
thanks I'll check that area out.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Kikero

Silver

Post by Kikero » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:39 pm

Cobretti wrote:Hey guys, we have had a bunch of you guys already step up to offer the incoming 1Ls your outlines now that the class schedule has been released. FranklyScarlet recommended we make a google doc for everyone to post what profs they have outlines for, so here it is if you'd like to contribute:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... sp=sharing

For now just post your TLS username for the profs you've had and are willing to give outlines/advice for and then we can all spam you with PMs when sections get released. Or if you're into it you could provide a link to the outline you wish to share and leave it at that. Up to you.

thanks
I made a comment in the spreadsheet (it was sort of long, sorry), but Eigen hasn't taught Contracts before. He doesn't have CTEs for very many classes at all honestly. I took Business Associations with him last semester if anyone has general questions about him as a professor. My general opinion was that his class was pretty enjoyable. He also stated that he maxes out curves, for what that's worth. My only criticism is that he sometimes seemed to get caught up with details and spend too much times on aspects of the cases that didn't matter, and then would zip through other things to get caught back up. Overall though, I'd say he's a fine professor, and a very nice guy.

Kikero

Silver

Post by Kikero » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:42 pm

Cellar-door wrote:
Icculus wrote:

thanks I'll check that area out.
Also, keep in mind that the budget projection is for 9 months, not 12, you can get additional loans over the summer if you take a class (including practicums) or you can get funding if you're doing public interest work. When you cut back to 9 months, the room and board gives you over $1550/month, which is plenty even if you are living right around campus in Streeterville.

dolfan0516

Bronze

Post by dolfan0516 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:18 am

I possibly need 1 more class, thoughts on any of these?

The Law of Real Estate Development and Finance - Dana
Derivatives: Uses, Abuses and Regulation - Harris and Kova
Executive Compensation and Employee Benefits - Melbinger
In-House Counsel: Modern Corporations - Finke and Hacker
Investment Banking - Stowell
S Corporations and Other Specially Taxed Entities - Beller
Structuring Transactions: Venture Capital - Barron and Green

splitsplat

Silver

Post by splitsplat » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:30 am

first off, congrats on squeezing more money out of nu.

as to your question, what's your definition of close to school? if you want a 5 minute-or-less walk, you're going have to look for studios which is possible for $1200-1400 in some of the older buildings near the law school (like onterie center or the seneca). if you are willing to have a commute, your options open up a lot and you can definitely find a nice 1 bedroom within budget

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Blumpbeef

Gold

Post by Blumpbeef » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:59 am

Desert Fox wrote:
Georgia Avenue wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Georgia Avenue wrote:Barsa's environmental law class had one of the more ridiculous curves I've seen, and not in a good way.

That said, it's a pretty awesome class and he's great.
This year it wasn't curved. Did you have it last year?
jesus christ I run so bad with curved classes. Yeah, Spring '12.
The worst part is he is way easier uncurved.
Now I feel bad about my grade.

splitsplat

Silver

Post by splitsplat » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:02 am

strong notsohumble humblebrag blump haha

Georgia Avenue

Bronze

Post by Georgia Avenue » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:08 am

yeah, try taking it curved where like the 10th best exam gets a B+.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:35 am

yeah take barsa uncurved. i put in an embarrassingly low amount of effort and walked away with a gentleman's A-. i dont know if anyone has brought up desanto's first amendment class but that is always curved and is pretty tough because the material isn't that difficult and most people stay pretty engaged. i thought i crushed that exam buuuut... not so much. on the flip side its a really fun class, desanto is hands down my favorite prof.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cactuarX3

Silver

Post by cactuarX3 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:57 am

traehekat wrote:yeah take barsa uncurved. i put in an embarrassingly low amount of effort and walked away with a gentleman's A-. i dont know if anyone has brought up desanto's first amendment class but that is always curved and is pretty tough because the material isn't that difficult and most people stay pretty engaged. i thought i crushed that exam buuuut... not so much. on the flip side its a really fun class, desanto is hands down my favorite prof.
totally agree with that. desanto is an awesome professor and it's a great class but save it for 2L or 3L year; it's gunner central in there

dstars823

Bronze

Post by dstars823 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:03 am

question from a dumb 0L but is there a way to see when you apply for the classes how many slots have already been taken or does it just tell you how many slots are open. Also, just to make sure any class under 40 is uncurved?

Georgia Avenue

Bronze

Post by Georgia Avenue » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:10 am

dstars823 wrote:question from a dumb 0L but is there a way to see when you apply for the classes how many slots have already been taken or does it just tell you how many slots are open. Also, just to make sure any class under 40 is uncurved?
the professor can still curve it if they want but under 40 means they don't have to follow the mandatory curve

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:00 am

dstars823 wrote:question from a dumb 0L but is there a way to see when you apply for the classes how many slots have already been taken or does it just tell you how many slots are open. Also, just to make sure any class under 40 is uncurved?
And you bid points on classes; you don't just sign up. When everyone has bid, the computer figures out everyone's classes. You see how many points a class went for the last 5-10 times it was offered (a price of 1 point means it didn't fill up), capacity and empty seats each time it was offered (to see if it was under 40 people), and how many people were left on the wait list. From that data, you guess whether it's likely to stay under 40 again, and whether it's likely to fill up (and so how many points to bid).

And even with all that info, you can still end up in a class that has never ever in the history of time hit 40 people... that ends up at 41.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Blumpbeef

Gold

Post by Blumpbeef » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:02 am

splitsplat wrote:strong notsohumble humblebrag blump haha
Lol. Nothing to brag about.

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:54 am

Georgia Avenue wrote:
Flips88 wrote:Um, all ethics sections are capped at 40. that's new, right?
oh fuck offfffffffffffffffff

splitmuch

Silver

Post by splitmuch » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:29 pm

dolfan0516 wrote:I possibly need 1 more class, thoughts on any of these?

Never had any of these but can say that Melbinger is a cool/funny guy.

D-hops

Silver

Post by D-hops » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:36 pm

dolfan0516 wrote:I possibly need 1 more class, thoughts on any of these?

Derivatives may bore you to tears, it is uncurved, and has a 24-hour take home exam. If you have some experience with financial derivatives (futures, forwards, options, etc.) you can pretty easily get a good grade in the class. If not, I don't know that I would recommend it.

I happen to really like Beller as a tax professor but your mileage may vary.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Blumpbeef

Gold

Post by Blumpbeef » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:36 pm

Thoughts on McGinnis and Antitrust?

Some people weighed in earlier about Horowich and Securities. I'm scared of that class. Who would be the other professor when it is offered again, and are they better?

VulcanVulcanVulcan

Bronze

Post by VulcanVulcanVulcan » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:16 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:Thoughts on McGinnis and Antitrust?

Some people weighed in earlier about Horowich and Securities. I'm scared of that class. Who would be the other professor when it is offered again, and are they better?
Much respect to McGinnis and Antitrust. Learned a lot, less than 10 pages of reading a night, plenty of existing outlines for the exam.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:59 pm

I thought McGinnis was brutal, he treats it like a 1L class and goes hard with the Socratic method. Really interesting topic, though, so if you can bear him then it might be worth it. Just don't sit in the front row...

I actually liked Horwich a lot, had him for BA and Securities. He is a little dry but is incredibly knowledgeable and does a good job of walking you through some pretty difficult material. Basically I feel like if you are going into big law then you need to know securities, and Horwich does a good job of providing you with a decent foundation. The curve seemed easier for BA than Securities but in either case the exam was fair.

Georgia Avenue

Bronze

Post by Georgia Avenue » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:43 am

O'Hara is the other professor for Sec Reg. He teaches in the spring, and based on my knowledge and friends who have taken Horwich, he is infinitely better for an overall experience. O'Hara has a really unique take, since he has experience as a private practice securities lawyer, an SEC enforcement attorney, an executive (he was general counsel of the NYSE) and as an angel investor. So he will tell you exactly what you need to know based on what perspective you're working from, which I found really valuable. He also won't rake you over the coals like Horwich will, and provides for a much better classroom experience.

If you're one of those people who can't tolerate the thought of a professor having fun and not taking himself seriously, he's probably not your guy, though. Bottom line - if you want to get super deep into securities law and learn everything there is to know, in a class that can be very unpleasant, take Horwich. If you want to learn only what you need to know in the real world and have fun doing it, take O'Hara.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”